Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: Ice storm

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 218, Views: 2,320
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6057889

Thought you'd be interested in seeing what I woke up to this morning. We still have power...although it has 'hiccuped' a time or two. Cable is out, but I have a wireless Verizon doohicky for just such times. Thousands without power, transformers blowing all over. Outside it sounds like guns going off as branches break.

The Weather Channel is broadcasting from Paducah. It is a mess...and we all know how they love a good mess at the WC. This even rates Jim Cantori showing up.

Here's my backyard.

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6057905

My neighbors across the road.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6057926

My back door neighbor's barn.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6057948

Close up of my crape myrtle.

Cantori was pleased to let us know that this was just 'halftime' as he called it...got the second half of the system to come tonight with a topping of several inches of snow.

The good news is that it is supposed to be in the 50's by Sat.

Thumbnail by melody

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6057957

That's some amazing storm, Melody. Thanks for sharing.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6057976

What a mess! It's really sad about the trees. In 2005 we had a freaky early snowstorm when the leaves were still on the trees. The weight of the snow along with the weight of the leaves pretty much stripped the trees of branches. Your trees don't have leaves right now, do they? Hopefully that will minimize the damage to them.

Hang in there. Saturday is only 3 1/2 days away, but I know it seems like a long time.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6058075

No leaves, thank goodness.

Just heard a loud pop...my neighbor just lost a Bradford pear. Split in half and landed in her front porch.

The roads are clear, they treated them before the storm and temps are hovering right at 32. Traffic is moving pretty much normal, it is just the trees and power lines that are taking the hits.

Here's my greenhouse.

Thumbnail by melody

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6058076

Do the neighbors still have the mini donk and goats? That must have been a wake up this morning!

I hate to say this, but it is sunny and in the low 20s here right now. The barn door is open for some fresh air and not much of a breeze. Snow tonight, but only around 6 inches, then another dose tomorrow. I haven't heard anything from the KY clan yet.

Stay warm!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6058089

Goats and donks are gone.

Neighbor sold out...he had back surgery and couldn't take care of the animals and property. We have new neighbors...a young couple. They are just moving in and haven't moved their animals yet. He's working on the electric fence because they have a couple of horses.

I've met him, but not her. They seem like nice folks.

Rub it in that you are having better weather than us! Lisa lost power last night, but they got it back on a little while ago.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6058402

I am about 10 or 12 miles north of Melody...limbs are still crashing down. Electricity is intermittent. Just a little bit scary.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6058414

Back yard is full of limbs, but they are still falling, and no way am I going out to take a picture.
Mel, you stay safe. I am blocked in by limbs. Feels like a tree cave, sounds like a war zone.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6058431

Actually, I was a little optimistic on the temp - only 19 - and the sun went away as soon as I mentioned it - typical!

Sharon, stay inside!!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6058443

Don't worry, Kathleen...can't even open my back door anyway. The last limb was more like about a third of the tree.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6058974

I've never seen an ice storm. Very scary stuff.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6058975

Those photos remind me of the terrible ice storm we had here in Arkansas a few years back. The ice ruined trees all over the southern half of the state and many people were out of electricity for as long as 3 weeks. At that time we lived in a house which was on several acres. There were several big oak trees and big limbs continued falling out of those trees literally for several years after. Fortunately, none of the trees were close to the house.

You folks stay safe!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6059006

Still falling branches and whole trees...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6059010

and a little closer

Thumbnail by Sharran

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6059016

Here are a few more...we got out to see if my husband's business had power yet...nada. We have electric here at the house and satellite is still giving us tv. No phone or cable, and from the looks of things, it will be a while before those return.

Here is my neighbor's Bradford pear. All the Bradford pears in the area are much worse for wear...none were unscathed.

Thumbnail by melody

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6059028

Right about the Bradford pears, my back yard neighbor lost one, and the one across the street is across the road.

I am losing the tops out of all my huge old maples.
They are all over the yard.

Thumbnail by Sharran

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6059030

The new neighbor's house.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6059043

Just down the road.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6059079

Road blocked with wires and branches everywhere.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6059094

More downed trees and wires.

Thumbnail by melody

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6059145

I have decided if I could pick up all the branches and limbs that are in my yard, I would have a huge new tree, different species all together in one.

Diversi - tree.

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6059287

So beautiful - and so sad... Please be careful!

("Diversi-tree..." ROFLOLOL)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6060421

Wow- and I imagine there will be more to show us by tomorrow with snow on top of it.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6061298

Good morning.

Power went out during the night. Cell service is intermittent at best, and I'm saving my battery. My broadband is working for now so I'm able to get on line.

We justthought yesterday was a mess. It will be days before things are up and running.

For the time being we are home. It is in the 50's here in the house and we're warm enough. We're fine. I'll keep this thread updated as long as I have access...it is snowing now. We have about an inch or two on top of all of that ice and it is still coming down, but lightly.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6061826

BeCarefully yourself it would be very dangerous to me that happen in Joplin, MO twice! It snap or crack the limbs behind me I ran quickly 3 times... So, Don't go outside near anything which you will hear sound... Stay inside and safe...
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6061957

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. I am glad you are ok. Love you.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6062403

I just came across this thread. Gee, what a mess! We've had ice storms, but never like that. Everybody be careful, I want to be able to see all of you again next fall.
Best to you,
Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6062438

I just talked to Melody and they are headed away from their house now looking for a motel room. I offered a room here but they are going to try to find one in the area first as they hate to get far from home right now. She said that the roads are terrible to navigate.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6062820

We're home. The roads are a mess and there is absolutely no service of any kind for miles. No gas, no restaurants, no motels, no power. Wal marts are all closed. The house is holding about 53 and we're plenty warm, have food and hot water. (gas hw heater) We decided to stay put for awhile. We've got a grill and steak in the freezer.

Verizon is the only cell service available, the other companies are all not operating. Hospitals are on generator. Everything, and I mean everything else is powerless. The main transmission lines from the power plants are down. I have not seen one power truck or cable truck yet. All the recovery in this neck of the woods have been the good old boys with chain saws. This is a wide ranging outage...about a hundred miles in each direction.

I have more pictures...will be back later to post some.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009

Post #6062832

But is the storm over now?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6062869

It quit snowing this morning about 8. This is supposed to be it as far as precipitation goes, but the aftermath of the melting is going to be unbelievable. I cannot imagine what the big oak trees at Prizer Point look like.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6062889

I will keep checking on you, girl. Thanks for calling telling us that you were searching for a motel. The offer of our home is still good if you get fed up with roughing it. I know that I am the camper in the bunch and not you guys. LOL

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6062904

Molly has gas logs in Paducah if we decide to head in that direction. They have no power as well, and Jim went and got Mom. The logs won't heat the whole house, but they're making do...and she has a gas stove that she can cook with. If we really wanted to, we could head down there, but we're fine.

They're saying maybe 10 days on power in some spots...possibly longer.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6063407

Hey, Mel, come on up. All we have is a foot of snow - things are still quite do-able here.

Stay warm.

Melissa and crew have propane heat and city water so they are surviving quite nicely - until time to clean out the freezers - - -
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6063452

What a mess, Melody! You all stay safe! Best wishes to all the folks up there!
North Arkansas is in the same shape. I have a friend in Yellville(north central Arkansas near the Missouri border). She called me last night on her cell phone. She said they were without power and all wrapped up in blankets trying to stay warm. She also said tree limbs were falling all around them and it sounded like gun shots when they would break and fall. Ice storms are terrible!
In my area everything is fine. The bad weather has moved out although it is still cold. Currently 30F with a low of 22F for tonight. Our streets are clear and dry, thank goodness!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6063861

Ok, Mel. Thanks for the reports. Happy CAMPING, my friend. At least you will be in your own bed and not on the ground or outside afraid your camper is going to blow in the river. :>)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6064220

That will be help for camping supplies that I use when I has no power for 4 days plus I has generaters too... Everything is okay here and only I has 1 inches icy then snow on top 5 inches...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6064237

Well, after hearing that it is going to be a toasty 13 degrees tonight, we shut off the water and are now in Paris Landing State Park in TN. (When you recognize 4 neighbors at check in, you know that you're as close to home as you can get and still have power. It was about 50 miles, but took us nearly 3 hours.

We are warm and dry and they have hot water...and they take dogs.

I'm going to get settled in, but I guess this will be my office for a few days. I don't see how we can go home for awhile after seeing the mess that west KY is in.

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6064715

Praise the Lord, you are safe, toasty warm and dry. Sleep tight and have a good time even though it is a forced vacation. Thanks so much for letting us know your whereabouts and that you are fine. Love you, all three of you! (Can't forget Carly.)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6064782

Here is the same shot that was the very first image that I posted of my back yard. This was taken this morning.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6064815

Sorry, that was the first one...here is this mornings image.

Thumbnail by melody

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6064819

Oh dear... :(

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6064827

My road this morning.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6064834

Still on my road about 1/2 mile from the house.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6064848

Neighbor about a mile down the road.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6064864

Between me and Benton...about 3 miles from the house.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6064898

This last one is right on Main Street in Benton. Lots of old trees, and the whole town is a mess. I can't imagine how long it will be before we have power. We drove over wires down in the road and the cable is down everywhere as well. Lots of power poles broken off. They are bringing in some temporary cell towers so that the non-Verizon folks can use their phones.

We're trying to get a game plan together, but even a generator is no good if there is no fuel available.

Thumbnail by melody

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 29, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6065007

Just want you to know that I'm sending prayers to you and Sharon ... and to everyone else in the path of this storm. Glad you are safe and warm. :)
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6065215

Wow!! Hang in there Melody and everyone else who is dealing with no power and ice. It will get better soon!!

I went thru the same thing in 2002. We had no power for 9 days. We stayed home and dressed in layers but went into town a couple of times to take showers at the school since they had hot water and we could get in since my dad worked there at the time.

NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6067472

Melody and Sharon, and all of you in KY, PLEASE stay safe, and watch out for power lines and falling trees. We usually get ice storms here in the Hampton Roads area, and they are scary - beautiful but scary. You are all in my prayers! Melody, glad you are warm and dry. Sharon, check in when you can, and stay safe!

Love to all,

Bonnie
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6067503

I talked to Melody just a bit ago. They were in Paris, Tennessee buying a generator and some gas cans and were about to head on home. Her mom is safe at her sister's house cooking soup for the neighborhood. She is going to check on some elderly relatives and see about Sharon.

I haven't heard from my kids since last night, but I suspect the cell phone system is probably maxed out right now. Their phones give me a busy signal when I dial. I'll try again later.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6067507

Kathleen I had that same problem after Hurricane Katrina. The cells should be back up in a day or two. My daughter called me the second she could.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts daily.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6068038

DD just called. She went to work and was on her way home - she's a Physician's Assistant. She said the added bonus was a warm shower at the hospital! It appears that she can call out, but calling in is not currently possible.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6068205

Update: 5:03 Pm - Melody just called. She has plans to check on Lisa. Said that she will update here or notify me when she contacts or sees her. She is also going to try to check on Sharon. They have their house heating up a bit now and turned on the freezer. (They bought 2 small heaters and two generators.) A neighbor was bringing her food to put in the freezer when we hung up. She said that folks are starting to run out of water. Her bathtub is full so they are ok and they bought drinking water in Paris. She says if they start to run out of things they will go back to Paris, TN and restock. She says that they are ok so that is a relief to all of us.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6068638

It has been a long day, and we're worn out. We are home with the generator generating. House is up to 50 and getting warmer. We are fine, but it may be weeks before we get power...and even longer before the cable is working. We stocked up on peanut butter, dry beans and rice. The crock pot will be my best friend for awhile I'm afraid.

We did go out and check on Lisa right at dark...and boy is it scary at dark. Lisa is ok... they are not toasty warm, but nobody is. They are in the camper and managing. She announced that she'd go through 6 hurricanes to one ice storm.

I should be around pretty regular now.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 30, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6068897

Sending my prayers ... It's so hard to be sitting down here and not able to help out. Please know that I'm praying for everyone ...
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6069012

Melody, I wish we could help! We've gone through the same thing with ice storms, and after Hurricane Isabel in 2003, our power was out for 11 days. Just about the time I got OUT of the habit of flipping the light switch automatically when I entered a room, the power came back on. (That's a hard habit to break). Let us know if there is anything at all that we can do from a distance, other than pray.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Bonnie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6069289

I told Melody after this is over she might enjoy camping. There was a long silence and then she said, "Nahhhh, I don't think so."

She called a short while ago to tell me that they now have the TV to watch. She has food in the crock pot cooking for tomorrow and they have a curtain stretched across one area to keep the heat in the area they are staying in. They plan to sleep on the couch. Keith was thrilled that he will be able to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday so life is getting better. She has a bath tub full of water for flushing and other chores and they bought bottled water for drinking. They will go back to Paris, TN or Clarksville, TN and buy more supplies if needed.

Keith said that if they want to pay for the generators they could just charge admission to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday. He is just kidding but I bet lots of folks without TV would gladly pay plenty to see that game. :>)
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6069341

I'm so happy to hear that you are finding ways to get through this. Just think Mel, you're roughing it kinda like our historical ancestors did. Try to think of it as a trip back in time and find happiness in knowing that it's temporary. :)

I'm relieved to hear that Lisa and her family is doing okay and that your Mom is happily cooking for the neighborhood.

Is there an update on Sharon?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #6069421

Good gracious, I've been wondering for two days how ya'll Kentuckians were doing. Finally it dawned on me to check our Weather Forum. So it IS true, "I ain't right!".

Melody, glad you posted this thread, I've read it top to bottom. Am right there with you and the woes ya'll are dealing with...been there more than once. It sounds like you are better off than when you first posted but I hope things progress right along faster than people think.

Thanks for the info about Lisa/Family. Those Cajuns are gonna think Ma Nature followed them with harsh weather. Hope you check in when you hear from Sharon. I also wonder about the other areas of Ky and how folks are doing.

Wish I could bring you a wood stove/heater, ya'll could definitely use one during times like this.

As others here have posted, I too wish I could do something for ya'll. Hope you keep us updated on things as they happen.

Best!
Shoe
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6069511

Well, I have had a duh moment that lasted 2 days. Didn't think of checking the weather forum to see how all my friends were faring.

We were without power for about 26 hours,but are now serving the rural community we live in as a shelter of sorts. People are coming to take showers, do laundry, eat a hot meal, and just stay and get warm through and through. Our road is a state road, and only 3 houses on this road have power.

We have a auto casuality, DMIL's car was parked under a tree, and a portion of the tree, about the size of my body fell across the car. Broke out most all the windows, but with the snow and ice which covered it, can not really tell the amounts of damage.

Melody, I tried to call today to check on you, and to see if you had heard from Lisa and Sharon. I know that they like many who are affected will just hunker down, and make the most of the situation. My concern was for everybody's safety. Glad to hear that you have been in touch and that everybody is okay physically, but challenged with making do.

I am about 4 hours north east, and we are not as bad as the western part of the state. But believe me, I have lived many years in this area, and it is the worst that I have ever seen.

Glad that I found you, and will stay in touch. We had some thawing today, which only made matters worse. Instead of the snow cover that gave some traction, we are now a solid sheet of ice. DH has a 4 wheel drive truck, and if not for that, we would be cut off from everything.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #6069565

Glad to hear everybody is basically alright.
Hope this stupid weather gives up pretty quick. It's been a long winter! We have snow on the ground that fell in November. There will probably be floods here this spring. We usually get lots of snow in late Feb. & early March.
I hope your warm up is soon, but not so fast you start flooding.
Keep warm & safe,
Bernie

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6069575

I'm with everyone else. Just now checking the weather forum. We had some ice but not like that. We had that monster storm back in December 2007. So I know how horrible it is to try to stay warm without electricity.

I sure would like to hear Sharon's voice. I talked to her two days ago and didn't get her cell number. silly me! But it sounds like it probably wouldn't go through anyway.

We are going to warm up tomorrow and Saturday, so I hope that it moves east quickly.

Susan
=^..^=
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6069999

Hi MelodyI saw you mention Paducah Ky. I have been trying to get in touch with my 2 brothers there and have not been able to get them on their cell or land line phone. I got in touch with my 2 sisters in East Prairie Mo and they are without power but they have gas heat and gas stove. They are doing fairly good and my sister in Arkansaw is without electricity too and she just has her fireplace and they are using that to cook her food. I just wish I could hear from my two brothers.i feel for you guys. Sami
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6070445

Elena, thanks for the update! Glad they'll get to watch the Super Bowl! Also glad to hear about Lisa, Jesse and Sally. A little worried about Sharon, though. Hope we hear from her, soon, and that she's managing to stay warm! Bonnie (Defoecat), glad you're able to help out with those in your community. It is amazing what a warm shower and clean clothes will do for your state of mind. DH said that after Isabel, and 11 days without power, he understands why birds take such short baths. ;-)

We also discovered after Isabel (Sept. 2003) that the little oven and toaster that go with our Coleman 2-burner propane stove really do work. We managed to eat well, and found a little 3 1/2 inch battery-operated TV to watch Monday Night Football, and that made it feel a little more "normal". It sounds silly, but it's amazing how little things like that can lift your spirits and make you feel better (not to mention helping to pass the time and bringing people together).

Love, warmth and light to all,

Bonnie
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6070571

I just found out there was a weather forum.

Glad everybody is safe. We got hit with the storm but not nearly as bad as the western part of the state. There are still folks here without power, water and phones. We were without power for 1 night and without water for 1 day. Our main roads are good because they keep them treated all winter. The side roads are a mess. Lots of trees down but folks cut their way out as soon as they could get out of their houses. The kids didn't have school all week. We have not been able to get to the farm to check on our 4 horses there but I'm sure they are fine, They have plenty of shelter, water and grass. Everything is good at the barn so we are blessed. Our kerosene heaters kept us warm and we are avid campers so we had all the supplies and equipment we needed. It snowed here last night but just enough to be a pain. Temps are still below freezing and they are calling for more snow Sunday. I hate winter.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6070668

Well I've been cleaning out the fridge..and it's freezer. Looks like we're grilling buffalo steak tonight. I had 7 organic chicken breasts that I wasn't about to lose either, so they are in the crock pot. I'll put them in the deep freeze after I get them cooked. Deep freeze is fine, the house freezer was still icy, but thawing.

There are a few businesses that have managed to open in benton on generators and one old gas station is able to pump gas since he still has the older pumps. $20 limit...cash.

It is going to be a long haul, but we'll get by. House is holding about 58 degrees and we have hot water.

Those of you who know Chuck our 'adopted' kid...he's allright so is Renea and the baby. Chuck is headed this way to get a shower, as he's been cutting trees out of the roads and fixing water pipes for people and who knows what else.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6070682

He's storing up blessings for his future. DH and I are both retired from the fire service and I have vivid memories of working in hurricanes to help people who could not help themselves. When God gives you such an opportunity be sure to take advantage of it. It will give you great memories you will have for the rest of your life.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 30, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6070850

Praying all are fine...Vicki posted on the Best/Worse and What did I learn today thread that somewhere news of Shar was received...she is staying with a friend who has hydro...

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6071319

What is hydro?
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6071692

Electricity. :-)
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6072048

I'm in central KY and it's a mess here too :-( This is worse than the 2003 ice storm and we were without power 7 days then. It started here late Monday evening. For the second time, I'm glad we don't have a lot of trees close to the house. Our current went out around 5 am Wed. morning and it's supposed to get down to 8 tonight! I'm sleeping at a neighbor's, who have gas logs & generator, and showering at a friend/co-worker's in the town where I work. All of the rural and subdivision roads are still a bit hazardous but the main roads are clear. I was finally able to get off of our property, by vehicle, yesterday afternoon, after the neighbor's son came to feed our cattle and break up the ice a bit with the tractor...we live in a BIG hill.

Ironically, my DH was out of town for the 2003 storm an this one as well. He's snowed in, in Indiana, they haven't been able to work all week but at least he's warm.

Best wishes to all of you who are in this situation, hope everyone gets their power back on soon!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 30, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6072192

I'm just stopping by to leave my hugs today ... and many prayers, too! Glad to see people checking in.
Hugs&blessings to everyone ... ~Susan
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6072504

It's snowing here again today but I think the ice is over for us. They are predicting a big snow Monday.

Here are a few pics from today.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6072515

Here is the town's reservoir frozen over and covered with snow.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6072778

Stay safe everyone. Looks like this mess is going to hold on for a while longer. You are all in my prayers. We are probably all praying for an early spring as well. :>)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6072839

There are over 1500 power poles broken and down in our electrical co-op. TVA is not up and supplying power at this point either. They got some stuff up this morning, but by this afternoon, something had blown it all and 100% of West KY ECC customers are in the dark. They've called in helicopters from Ft. Campbell to fly over the lines and assess damage.

They told us it may be 30 days.

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6073212

Oh wow! :(((
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6073252

You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. What will they do about school for the kids and are the hospitals able to operate at all?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6073302

just stopped in to say that you all are in my thoughts and that i wish i could send you some warm florida weather but it's cold here too...not AS cold mind you, but cold for us. so i'll just hope and pray that all goes well from here on out. i'm a midwest girl myself and we're made of tough stuff! stay warm and dry.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6073303

Our little hospital is on a generator, but it is barely a band-aid station on a good day. They finally have power to the two big ones in Paducah. I'm not sure about the one in Mayfield, but would bet it is not up, and the Murray hospital is on generator.

The schools are dead in the water here. The high school campus is in the middle of a large wooded compound. Many old trees...and they were quite large and old 30+ years ago when I went there. Every power pole is broken on the campus. We are next door to the south jr. high and elementary campus. They are dead as well and we have many poles down right here. I can count 6 broken poles from my back door. The ground is wet and soft. The power companies will need vehicles with tracks instead of tires to get in to some places.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6073327

They could bring up some marsh buggies from La. It would leave ruts but you could count on not a single one getting stuck.

I sure hope they get you guys straightened out much sooner than think.

On the bright side, if there is one to be found, there will be lots of kindling for next years's fires for folks who have wood burning stoves and fire places. I hope they offer it to them instead of just chipping it up.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6073460

We were doing fine until about 12:30 p.m. today. Our power went out again. Since I wanted to make sure that they were aware of it, I called Shelby RECC and reported our outage. Seems they had gotten the sub station up, a couple days ago, and it blew again today. Good news is, after loaning out our heaters to those who didn't have any heat, DH and I went to a neighbors who winters in SC, and raided his wood pile, and have a fire in the fireplace.(We did call him and get permission before taking the wood) Now we have been in this house 16 years, and have never used it, as DH was afraid that it would smoke up the house. Well we put a fire in there, it works fine, and 5 hours later, we have power again.

I cooked supper on the gas grill out on the deck, sort of chilly, but got the job done.

I had been holed up inside since this mess hit, and out of sheer bordom went with DH to get the wood.and we have poles broken, leaning, and some will surely go, if there is any wind.

A friend and neighbor called to ask if she and her DH could come take showers, and do a load of laundry tomorrow. So guess the Ethington shelter is open once again. Glad to be in a position to do it.

Melody, your situation is much worse, and I am keeping all of my friends in your area in my t & p's.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6074272

Well I finally heard about my two brothers from my niece. They finally got their cell phone running yesterday and her dad and mom and her sister and DH and four children are with her because she has gas heat that does not need electricity. With her family there are 13 of them all huddled up together. My other brother has not heat or elerctricity but has a gas cooking stove. They put a mattress in their kitchen and are sleeping by the cooking stove. I dont think that is a wise idea and neither did my other brother think so. I wish they would go to a shelter but they want. If he had a carbon monoxcide detector it would not be so bad. I still have not been able to talk to them. My sister that is in East Prairie Mo still does not have eletriciy and they have had to call in the National Guard because of people breaking and entering into house that had to be vacated. They have run out of gas for their generators now and have not been able to find any so far. Every one is in my prayers.

Sami

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6074324

Gas is becoming more available as they get the businesses up. There are just runs on the stations because everyone is so low...or out. They are not gouging prices on anything that I can see. The governor has said repeatedly if anyone gets caught taking advantage of folks, they will be dealt with harshly.

Generators are selling for suggested retail, and gas is anywhere from 1.60 to 1.90. We have been able to keep plenty of fuel with us, but we brought the first with us from Paris, TN. After that, we have tried to make smart decisions. We haven't had to wait over 30 minutes to get fuel yet, but we have several tanks and never let them get completely out.

My sis can see street lights from her house, so they are getting residences back on line now in Paducah.

They are hauling in generators by the truckload. There are several thousand (total) being brought in to several locations today.

TVA got 8 out of 11 substations up last night, so that is helping the power companies get ready to fight this.

We are relatively warm and we're managing. (house is holding between 58 and 60)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6074360

So glad you all are doing well. Any word from Lisa?
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6074415

Melody, I just found this thread. I had no idea. Your photos are just frightening. I hope you are safe and fairly comfortable.

I am keeping all of you effected by these storms in my prayers.

Hugs, Loretta

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6074492

We're managing better than most are, but I am no camper by any means.

We're creative and sensible. We think things through before we jump and don't wait until the last minute to take action.

It is just going to be a long haul, We're already thinking of possibly running the business on another generator.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6074551

I sure hope everyone stays safe out there, and that the 30 day estimate was a worst case that they'll be able to improve on. We'll try to keep ourselves out of trouble and send you all our extra Baltimore Gas and Electric Company and Potomac workers and equipment.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6074611

Good that generators and gas supplies are improving. Is there any improvement on cell phone service? A generator to run the shop sounds like a great idea, get your DH back to work and bring in some income. As I recall, there are no big trees close to the shop.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

January 31, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6074630

Melody, I have been watching this thread, but haven't posted as I could only add sympathies. I was in the 94 ice storm here and know what you are going through. Our roads were passable though and it looks like some of yours are still impassable.
Today I did hear on the Memphis news that they are sending help to Kentucky (electric workers) and they are going prepared to stay a month when they get there.
God Bless you all
Sandra
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6074690

Just talked to DD and told her that Melody had said electric out for a month. She said not nearly so long on her side of the lakes - only three weeks. I asked her if splitting hairs was giving her the hope she needed to get through! She was going to walk the kids over to the neighborhood Amish store and buy some lamp oil.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6074917

Fox news just said that the eastern part of Kentucky is supposed to get a foot of snow starting on Monday! :( Didn't say that the western part was supposed to get it though.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6075111

Hi Northern Arkansas checking in. My electricity and phone went out Monday about 11:30 AM and came back on about 30 min ago. Still blinking on and off so will hurry and try to post this. Our ice seemed thicker than Melodys but our trees were similar. Living on a mt. in Ozark Nat Forest, We have lost so many trees. None fell on my house or car but my poor yard is a disaster.
We could'nt get out our forest road untill today.
I had propane heat and water, oil lamps, candles and a battery radio. So i did well except for being cut off from the outside world and worring about how others were faring. IT IS SO VERY GOOD TO TALK TO YOU AGAIN.
Melody hope so much the snow passes you by.We need a few days to recoup mentally.
Will post this in case i get cut off.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6075191

My friend Lisa called a little while ago. (She lives about 12 miles from Melody). They are doing ok, and were better prepared than many of the folks around them because they are hurricane survivors, and also because they lived in their camp trailer for 9 or 10 months when they first moved to KY. They have barrels of water, a propane furnace in the camp trailer, and already had a generator. Her husband only missed one day of work and today is working for his boss cleaning up the mess from the storm. Their daughter is home schooled, so school goes on.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6075205

I had an electric pole snap into 3 peices in my drive with dead wires all over the yard. oak limbs as big as small trees everywhere. 5 large pines across my road.I only lost one dogwood. All my cedars straightened back up as well as my forsythia. Life is good.
It was scary tuesday and wednesday with total Quiet interrupted by sudden crashes as limbs and trees came down. My dogs hopped in my lap everytime there was a crash. LOL!!!! one weighs 55 lbs It's amazing how comforting dogs can be.Dry humor there folks. It is amazing how loud total silence can be. I always have some kind of noise going.
I had plenty of food. I emptyed my frig and put things on the porch. My freezers did'nt thaw. Being totally lazy i missed my microwave. but it don't take long to heat things in a pot. Even cooked a tv dinner in a bigpot.
My big heros were the electric and telephone linesmen. They sawed through trees and cleared the road put in a new pole and some new line. They started last night and worked thru today and still had a lot to do elsewhere.
Just 40 mile south of me there was no ice.

If any one came to clear your lines thru this please take them some cookies later. They would'nt stop for treats whie working.
Feeling very blessed and happy at the moment.
Janet

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2009

Post #6075261

I feel sorry for you people & feel so helpless.
Glad to hear Lisa & family are doing well. After meeting them last fall, you can see why they can get through anything. Great family!
All the people in KY are real troopers from what I could tell. They had just went through the big hurricane wing a couple days before we got there. If you didn't know about it, you would have not guessed it happened.

Bernie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6075362

Mary, thanks for posting about Lisa and family. At least it sounds like they have phone service and that sure helps to be able to keep in touch with folks. ( I know they don't care for being back in the camper though! We should talk them into putting a wood stove in their new home for the future, especially now with all the potential firewood down everywhere, eh?)

Wish there was something we all could do for all ya'll living in "Popsicle World"...I imagine even the mailfolks are exempt from their credo ("thru rain, snow, sleet.."etc) so care pkgs are out of the question right now, eh?

Thinking of everyone!
Shoe
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6075418

Yes, Shoe, I did tell her to be sure to save the firewood, not stack it directly on the ground, be sure to put in a wood burning stove when they build a house, and to be careful where they build the house in relation to trees. She said some of the trees they lost were big and made the ground shake when they landed.

Lisa said she put a bucket over her head for a hardhat when she went out to take care of her outdoor animals, and that ice falling off the trees was LOUD when it hit. Much better than having it hit her head! I can just see her with her bucket hat.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6075477

That girl Lisa wears the strangest hats. :-)

I hope the weather liars are wrong about more snow. I hope it warms up so more work can be done.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6075485

Hah!! "Lisa Buckethead", a true character in story, for sure! Only Lisa...!

We'll need pictures, ya know!

Thanks again!

Shoe
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6075498

Shoe, I still remember when it snowed in LA and Lisa and her daughter went out in their first snow. I think Lisa had a chicken pot holder on her head. I don't think I will ever forget that. Yes, only Lisa...
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6075525

Yep, I remember that, too. They were so excited to see one-umpteenth of an inch of snow, remember? ( I spent some years growing up in Fla though and remember being let out of class to head to the playground to see "snow"...you had to squint real hard to see it while it was in the air, no ground cover.)

Now those Cajuns are seasoned veterans with real Winter!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6075630

Mail ran today here at the house...all we got were bills, but hey, things are starting to come around. There is fuel in town and the Wal mart is open. Lots of us will be without power at our homes for awhile, but if services are operable, we'll be comfortable.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6075723

Oh, good news about Lisa and her family! So glad to know that they're okay. I know that they're not really happy about being back in the camper, but it sure is nice to have it when you need it! The bucket story is hilarious - my mind makes pictures! I didn't know about the chicken potholder story, but Lisa makes do, doesn't she? Hey, in the absence of a real helmet, and with stuff falling all around, it was a very sensible solution. I just wish I could have seen it!

You are all in my prayers.

Love,

Bonnie
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6075749

My son got phone service back today and called us from Whitesville (Owensboro) Ky. Every tree on his wooded 10 acres had the top third break off. Power lines and trees are down everywhere. All unnecessary surgeries have been cancelled. The hospital is on generator power. He said they have crews from four states helping out. They expect it will be three weeks before they get power back on. He has a propane generator and the neighbors have moved in. They are heating with the fireplace and using wood that came down in the storm. He has been out every day with the chain saw. No school. They are expecting winds on Monday. They hope the ice melts before more power poles are damaged. Especially the ones that were just replaced. Some areas are having water shortage problems. They were encouraged to vacate. But they are staying to take care of the animals. He will keep me informed and I will pass the information on to you. He's going to send pictures as soon as he can.

Please everyone be very careful.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 1, 2009
5:18 AM

Post #6077389

Still here and still praying for everyone! LOL at Lisa! Now we have Lisa the bucket head along with our own very own Shoeflower! LOL ^_^
Y'all stay safe out there ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6078189

Our temps got up in the 40s yesterday and we had a good bit of sunshine so a lot of the ice and snow is gone. We are supposed to hit 50 today but then we are likely to get 5 inches of snow tomorrow. Have to get all the outdoor chores caught up today and get our supplies layed in.

So glad to hear others are doing a bit better as well.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6078608

Well, I went through the noisest night of my life. Last night around 9pm, the wind kicked up, and the temps started to rise. In a bit, there were the loudest crashes, thumps, and screeches. Ice was melting from every surface and falling to the ground. This morning when I got up, most of the ice is gone from the trees, and instead of diamonds in the trees, we have diamonds on the ground, just glistening in the sunshine. Will take awhile for all of it to melt.

Melody, when all of this is over, just think, you will have ample material to use in writing your articles!

Yes the weather liars are saying that we are in for another round of winter weather. Predictions are for up to 6 inches of snow, beginning tonight and into tomorrow.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6079414

Have I mentioned I hate cold weather?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6080040

Lisa has power!!!

It came on just a little while ago. There is much rejoicing here. There is still no cable or phone at her house, but this will make her life much easier.

Nothing here yet, although there is a truck loaded with power poles parked across the street, and they keep coming and picking one off of the pile and hauling it somewhere to set up.

I have seen our power company trucks up and down the road today, and a few from places other than here. It is actually 65 degrees at the moment and I have the windows open to air out the place. I have high hopes that we'll have power in the next day or two. Mom has power, and my sis just got hers back as well. Mom is keeping Audrey until the house gets warm enough to take her home.

Several have asked what my generator looks like...well, here you go...this is my power source. It is loud and stinky, but we love it dearly.

Thumbnail by melody

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6080065

Mel, that is good news about Lisa, your Mom and your sister. I'm glad it has warmed up. That must make all this power work a little easier. That's a nice looking generator. Your governor was on the news this morning. It sounds like almost your entire state has been effected. I hope you get power back soon.

Defoecat, that noise is terrifying to me. I live in a mobile home and I'm surround by large pine trees. It usually sounds like I'm being bombed.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6080099

I just found this thread. My Sweetie lives in SE MO. and they've been without power since Tues. It may be up to three more weeks before they get it back. They're working 24/7 on it. People are coming to Dyersburg for food annd laundry, and some are staying in motels. It's terrible. I've never seen anything like it! Dyersburg is full of those electrical trucks and they go back and forth to where they're working. Lots of people in distress over there. Thank God ours stayed on. Very little outage here.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6080116

This is the largest power outage in Kentucky history. Also the largest call up of the National Guard that the state has asked for. We have a disaster of monumental proportions. I am hopeful that we'll have power in the next couple of days because I can see them working close by.

It is a beautiful day today. We cleaned up the yard and helped neighbors as well. A friend of ours who owns an electrical contracting company called to check on us. We told him that we were fine and to get the less fortunate folks powered up. He was working on getting power to a nursing home when he called.

We are fine for the moment, but I'll be glad when I can do a load of laundry.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009

Post #6080159

I think it's the biggest in SE MO. history, too! At least Wayne says he can't remember it, and he's 74.

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6080223

I got ahold of Sharon!!!!! I have been calling at least three times a day. Yesterday it started ringing again but she didn't answer. Today she did!!

Still no electricity and no hope for anytime soon. She is spending the nights at a friends house that has heat and comes back during the day to take care of the kitties. She has also been cooking up all the food she had in the freezer and taking it over to the house where she is staying. She was just getting ready to go over there when I called. She said this was the last of the food that needed to be cooked.

Her neighbors finally got the branches off and from behind her car so she could get out. She went to the store and got some cat food LOL and other canned items. I told her she had her priorities right with the cat food.

One day her house got down to 35 but it didn't bother the kitties. She has one room with a big window that lets in the sun during the afternoon, so that warms the house up some. Of course there is another winter storm heading their way. :(

They have the National Guard there and of course all the electric power workers from all over. She said they were the hardest hit around there so it will probably be a long time before they can get back their power. The phone ringing was a hopeful sign though.

She probably has some roof damage, thinks the garage may be leaking, but nothing in the house. The reason she hadn't called me was my number is on her phone and without electricity she couldn't get to it.
I gave it to her again and got her cell phone number this time. The cell towers are down of course, but I will have it for later.

I was just so very glad to hear her sweet voice. I need to go post this on the other forums where we hang out.

Susan
=^..^=
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6080283

Thanks for the updates! Little by little, things are looking better!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6080774

It is good to know that all my buddies are ok. I hate not knowing what is happening to everyone. Praise the Lord that none of them were injured or had any major medical problems during this time. That is a real blessing considering what it could have been.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6080822

Glad to hear things are getting straightened out. Nice to have warm weather for the power lone guys. Up here they would be fighting very low temperatures. Last big storm we had, (1974), it stayed way below zero for a week afterwords. There wasn't a lot of outages, but huge drifts of snow to move. It was so cold the snow was very hard & plowed hard.
I don't ever remember an ice storm that did much damage around here. To cold for ice!

Bernie
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6081233

I apologise if I intruded where I shouldn't have. I just wanted to share.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6081239

Doe, you didn't intrude. If you have ice, or have friends that were in the storm, this is the place you need to be. I agree, we had an ice storm in 03, I think, and looking back and comparing that one and this one, this is by far the worst. Don't want to have this happen too often.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6081243

We appreciate the info. We are concerned for everyone who has been affected by this tragic storm. Good to hear you have faired as well as you have. We were blessed to get a glancing blow and I am praying for those who were hit hard.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6081294

Wayne says he doesn't think it's going to take as long as they think to get everyone back on. It just takes a long time to replace all the poles that snapped, besides the wires.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6081316

There are many snapped poles in this community and they are methodically working on getting them replaced. Bless those workers. I am personally sending them something, don't know what right now for doing a largely thankless job, at the time. I know they get paid, and well too, but people don't often acknowledge them, until something like this comes along. Back when Ike blew through here, I made sandwiches and cool drinks and took it out to the workers and although they acknowledged that they were not supposed to do so, gladly accepted the food and drinks, as it was late afternoon, and I think the bellies were talking louder than the men's heads!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6081562

It would be nice if they would give the broken poles to people. They would make nice raised beds are play ground equipment.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6081919

Wow, thanks for all the updates! So glad to hear from everyone, and so happy that the power is coming back on. Still praying for everyone affected by this monster storm.

Love to all,

Bonnie

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6082718

We're still powerless. The day is pretty, so maybe they will make good headway. The snow missed us completerly.

Audrey, we are so thankful tor the people of north west TN. The communities all along the line have been so good to help us. I don't know where we'd be without them at this point.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6083324

I just heard that some of Kennett Mo. have their power back on! But not all.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6083437

That is wonderful!

Still in the dark here.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6083881

Melissa is back home with power - it came on sometime yesterday. Adam was out cleaning up the yard and she was in cleaning up the house. She says her refrigerators are very clean.

Hope yours comes on soon!!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6083925

I just spoke to Shar a few minutes ago. She sounded a bit tired but was very up beat and positive ... you know how Sharon is. LOL She did tell me that she had lost the tops out of a lot of those big old trees around her. Oooh, I bet it was some of those she's written about. That's ashame! She was counting her blessings and talking about how everyone was pitching in and helping, and how grateful they all are that no one has been seriously injured ...
~Susan
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6083940

Hi gang!
I'm at Mel's house on her laptop. I'll be out of internet/phone service for a spell. I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the concern. We are doing well and handling things like seasoned pros! We had hurricane boot camp for umpteen years...it paid off!

Our power was restored last night, don't know for how long, but I'm thankful.

We had a limb go through our camper and some of our fences have been torn up. Almost every tree on our 8 acres has been topped or snapped. For 72 hours straight all I heard was trees crashing to the ground.

It looks like a hurricane hit here..unreal!

I hope to check back in a few days. Just wanted to say hi!

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6083986

Warm wishes from Florida and I hope the thaw will come soon!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6084084

Lisa took one look at my set up and proclaimed.."this is so Louisiana!

While she was here the Natl Guard came by doing a house to house check. They are trying to contact every residence in the area to make sure that folks do not need anything.

It is another pretty day, except for all of the broken trees and power poles. Weather is supposed to get cold though tomorrow.

Still no power...and no idea when I'll have any. Got steak thawing for supper.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 2, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6084157

I can not believe Lisa moved all that way to get to do that all over again!! At least you're prepared, Lisa! You can show everyone else how to do it! Maybe that's why God picked that spot out for you? Y'all take care and stay safe. We're all sending prayers from waaay down south!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6084298

It snowed here for hours but the temps were around 40 so we didn't get any accumulation. So glad of that. Now we have to watch for flooding. There are still places here who have no power.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6084409

Hey, Fellow Kentuckians! (And others affected!) Glad to hear all of you are making the best of a bad situation.

Just found this thread and was going to add that I heard the National Guard was going to do a door to door search...much needed, in case someone needs to get to a safe place, but Melody had already posted that comment. Thanks for giving updates on evreyone there!

I'm out of state right now, so am very lucky not to have to deal with any of this. You all are in my T&P!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6084418

Robin
Do you know the status at your place?
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6084461

National Guard was supposed to be out in SE MO. today, too. That's good, there are older people who can't get out to get help.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6084493

Yes, I thanked them and told them that we were fine. We appreciated them so much, but to go on and find someone who really needed their assistance.

It was good to know that they were there if we did need something though.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6084947

Mel, glad this storm missed you. It's coming to get us. I hope it doesn't get too too cold.

Lisa, it's nice to hear from you. I hope you don't have too much damage. Are you back in your house?

You are all in my prayers.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6087100

Cajun, I know it's bad all over the area, but did read where our county was hit extremely hard. Talked to a flea market owner/neighbor that is 1/4 mile away from our place a couple of days ago and she said she didn't see any pieces of our mobile home or shed in the field across the road from her from our hilltop, which is always good news! Thankfully, we didn't have any trees to worry about falling on our place and the power line is buried the last 150' to the the pedestal, so no worry about downed power lines near the house. I did talk to the gal at our local water department yesterday and she had the guys go shut our water off at the main yesterday afternoon. She said they watched the meter first, to make sure it wasn't moving. Good sign, as it means there was probably no water lines that burst. Biggest problem we have now is accessing the money in our bank account, since there's no electricity there and DHs check is direct deposited. The bank VP said there was no time frame for when they can expect their service back up. We have good friends working here where Al is working, and they are helping cover our expences till things get back to normal.

Need an update on how you all are doing. Do you have your power back on yet?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6087186

No power here.

We're more fortunate than some. The generator is heating the house and I have hot water. The wind is blowing and it is spitting snow...one very cold and miserable day.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6087241

Good to know, Mel. Thanks! When this is all over with, I swear I'm getting a generator and a wood burning stove! Sounds like the best insurance possible. How or what do you do about stocking fuel?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6087256

Predictions of 3-6 inches of snow here, and I think it has surpassed it already. Just another bump in the road, ice covered by new snow. I will quit complaining, I have power and heat and plenty to eat, so all is good.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6087955

Good news in the Bootheel of MO!Wayne's power came on last night about 8. He said he was gonna leave all the lights on all night! At least he's warm again! Good luck to everyone else!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6087997

That is great news!

Still nothing here, but I am warm and dry.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6088607

Bet we have 10-12 inches of new snow here already, and it is still snowing. I have no plans of going anywhere, so will just watch out the window. DH just left to take his DB to the airport in Lexington, for a flight back to Florida. He winters there, and has been home for a week. Bet he is ready to see better weather.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6089833

I went to the dollar store a bit ago. just popped in for a few things. We were having a few flurries when i went it. 15 minutes later I didn't know if I was going to make it home. I only live a mile from the store. We must have gotten 2 inches in 30 minutes. It has stopped now but I think it is going to do this all night and tomorrow. We'll have a time getting to the barn. Can't get to the farm but I know the 4 horses there are fine.

DH fell on the ice today and hurt his shoulder. Please keep him in your prayers.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 4, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6090068

I complain about the cold, but it isn't near as bad as that ice. I wish your hubby a fast recovery!
Warm up starts tomorrow. Sending it SE.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6090159

We're set for a bad couple of days. Have I mentioned I hate cold weather?

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6090255

No snow here, and the ice is all gone. We just have the aftermath...and wind chills are supposed to be about 0* tonight and tomorrow. We have lots of cold people out there shivering in powerless homes. Shelters are open, but there are those who insist on staying at home. Natl Guard is doing what they can, and we have crews from many states here helping...thank you to every state that sent anything, no matter how small. It all makes a difference.

I am still without power, but we have a generator that can power my house. I can't run my clothes dryer...but that is a very small inconvenience. We are warm, well fed and comfortable. There are whole towns that do not even have running water as the pumping stations are dark. Several counties have closed schools until further notice.

We've got a huge mess here and the cold just makes it worse.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6090337

Mel, I am so glad that you are not getting hit by this snow storm. I think I reported 10-12 inches the last time I checked in about 4 hours ago, and now it is who knows how deep, and still snowing. DH got back from the airport, but reported the roads snow covered and slick. He came in ate supper, watched 1/2 of the Ky ballgame, and headed out to spend the night taking care of his DM.

Since I usually go to the grocery on Wednesday, and DH is gonna be in that town where I shop, may just phone him a grocery list in the morning as I will not go out by myself, and he will be all done in when/or if he gets home.

Cajuninky, hunker down, more is coming your way. Oh, Oh, the lights just began to flicker, Oh, no, no more power outages!!
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6090415

The fixers are headed north of us! Keep your spirits high! Help is on the way!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6090603

Hang in there everyone. I am praying for all of you and for all of the poor miserable people who are trying to weather this miserable weather in their homes without much to keep them going. It will be really, really bad for many people.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6090712

Still praying for light and warmth for those hit by this storm.

Love to all,

Bonnie
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 4, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6090804

Just stopping by to say hi and send my prayers to everyone tonight.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6094013

We have power!!

It came on late this afternoon. There is much rejoicing here.

We still have none at the business, but we talked to a power guy and they found that problem today as well, so maybe it won't be long there either.

Keep the cold folks in your thoughts and prayers. It is going to be a brutal night tonight.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6094030

Great news!!!
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6094058

Mel, that is great news!! I am sure there are lots of happy people out there as their power comes back on. I sure do feel badly about the nasty weather and no power.

Hugs, Loretta

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6094084

Very good to hear! Always a pain not having power. Even with the generator, it isn't just the same. Are you going to miss the hum of the generator. LOL!
You guys sure have had your share of bad weather lately.
Bernie
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6094463

I heard that lots of folks may be without for 3 more weeks. A terrible thing!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6094583

Oh, Mel so glad to hear that you have real power. Hope that the progress spreads, and soon everybody in your area has power restored. The temps are gonna be brutal tonight, but we have power, even if we are snow covered.

I am going to venture out to the grocery tomorrow, was cutting it close, we have 1 roll of TP in the house. Missing that item would have been another disaster!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6094624

I think we got about 6 inches of snow last night and it snowed off and on today. It is supposed to get down to 7 tonight. Have I mentioned I hate cold weather?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6094658

Cajun, hunker down again, it was snowing AGAIN here tonight. Weather I get usually ends up with you in a short while.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6095112

Good news about the power being cut on for you, Mel. I am so glad for you guys. Hope all of you are warm. Stay safe and try to stay inside as much as possible. We don't need anyone falling and hurting themselves. Cajun, how is your DH's shoulder doing since his fall?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6095194

It was doing a bit better today and he fell on it again. Please keep him in your prayers. He is frustrated along with the pain.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #6095440

Ya need to bundle him up like a 4 year old going out to play in the show with so much padding that he couldn't get hurt if he tried. I hope he will quit falling and start to get better.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6095909

YAY!! Mel - good to hear!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6095936

Mel, Great News! Yeah!

Got a d-mail from grownut this morning (she lives about 40 miles from our place) and they just got power back on after 9 days. Hopefully the expectations of 3-4 more weeks for power for some is grossly over esetimated!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6096296

We are living in the lap of luxury. I have a squeaky clean fridge for the second time in 5 months as it got the bleach water treatment once again.

My heartfelt thanks to the crew from Franklin, TN who got us up and running.

There are still many cold and stressed folks out there in terrible conditions. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

More crews are arriving. Some from North Carolina are here as well working on our road. (thanks Shoe!)

This is a horrible disaster. It took them this long just to get me running and I am on a main highway close to town. Several of you have been to my home know that I'm not in the middle of nowhere. We're pretty civilized. Our county is not the hardest hit by any means either. There are still whole counties that even the towns are powerless, including the water and sewage plants.

Those of you with all of that snow take care. Stay in if you can.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6096692

"More crews are arriving. Some from North Carolina are here as well working on our road. (thanks Shoe!)"

No problem, Melody! :>) I even hand-picked them so I'd be certain they'd wear some shoes.

Glad to hear ya'll are up and running again. I bet one of the first things ya'll did was take a long hot bath or shower, eh? That'll get ya warmed back up clear to the bone!

Hope all ya'll other KWP's get taken care of real soon. This kind of happenin' sure will cause you to think about "the next time" doesn't it? I know it has for us (ice storms and hurricanes both have caused it here in the past).

Thinking of you all and telling others to send T & P's and good vibes your way.

Shoe

*KWP...Kentuckians Without Power

MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6096769

Great news, Melody. Does your business have power yet? Has your DH been able to work at all?

I was reading on the news about a 92 year old, almost blind lady who was found alone and hungry but otherwise ok because she had wood heat. She declined their invitation to go to a shelter. A visiting nurse had been coming to bring meals until the storm made it impossible for her to get there, and communications about the situation made their way slowly if at all. She's very tough and stubborn old lady, but then when I thought about it, why would she want to leave her familiar place to go to a shelter with strangers and needing somebody to help her even to find a bathroom, when really, all she needed was food? Now that they know she is there, somebody will come every day with food.

I'm sure there are many others in the same situation, and hopefully they will be found and helped soon. It's a good thing to have neighbors caring about each other.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6097019

Wow, beautiful pictures of a horrible disaster.

Bradford pears pretty much self-destruct after 15 - 20 years without the help of an ice storm.
Hopefully, folks will plant something other than Bradford pears when the time comes to replace the lost trees.

I know this is going to take a while to get cleaned up, but my prayers are with all of you that have suffered through this weather tragedy.
Spring IS on the way, believe it or not! (:o)
Mike
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6097239

There really should be a law against cold weather. The older I get the more I hate it. I can remember it not bothering me much and trudging through it to get to my car and the snow being up to the windows and it didn't bother me a bit. When I look out now I just shake my head and decide it is best to stay in until spring.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6097407

Our phone and internet services have been restored.

The elderly lady across the street is still without power.

The National Guard just left here to check up on us, what a nice group of guys.

My daughter is catching up on all the episodes of "Adventures in Odyssey" radio drama on the computer, she was missing that more than anything!

Life is getting back to normal for us. I feel so bad for those who still are without power. It has been so cold.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6097438

I am glad you have power. I hope the elderly lady is okay. It seems to be harder on the elderly and sick.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6097482

Wohooo! Lisa has a phone again! I hope your elderly neighbor has power back on soon.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6097507

My neighbor is in the hospital, she was hospitalized before the storm hit, so thankfully she is safe and warm!

Here is a picture of our wee camper lost in the ice.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6097517

branches came crashing down all around us, one came through the roof of the camper.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6097518

These pics are making me shiver. Glad you are getting back to normal.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6097521

Poor little camper.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6097522

we moved the truck out of harms way.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009

Post #6097532

another one

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6097539

Will those trees live and get back to normal? Glad you could save the truck. It sure looks lonely sitting there in the middle of nowhere.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009

Post #6097541

poor blue birds!

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6097560

Makshi,
I sure do hope the trees bounce back. I've never been through this before so I don't know what to expect! We put the truck towards the end of the driveway, everything was so frozen.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009

Post #6097571

The road to our home is somewhere under all this mess!

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6097592

our canoe, waiting for better days.

Thumbnail by justmeLisa

Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6097620

I talked with Sharon this morning. She is still without power and doesn't think her nose, fingers and toes will ever warm up. She spends nights with neighbors, but goes home during the day to tend the cats and plants. The branches in the front yard are all hauled down to the street, but she said the back yard is a mess.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6097625

This is surely one of those events you will never forget! Glad you have the pictures to share with us. How bad is the damage to the camper? Did you get snow last night?
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6097639

Lisa, great pictures. With luck, you'll be able to pull them out years hence and say, Remember that awful ice storm we had, what year was that? So glad there hasn't been another one!

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6097660

Poor Sharon! I sure do share her pain. I was so worried about my animals during all this! I knew I could keep us comfortable, but my critters..well, I just felt so bad for them. All of them have heat lamps in their quarters and the coldest nights, there were none on. My inside cats just gave me a look as if to say "what are you doing to us!"

The camper still has the limb through the roof. It will take some doings to get it out. Also, all the top vents have been smashed.

Kathleen, I was so proud that Sally took out a journal and started writing about what she was going through and feeling. She'll have that to look back on as she gets older (as if she hadn't had enough adventures in her short lifetime!)

One day her opening line read "We should all think happy thoughts today...like smiling..smiling is my favorite..."

*snicker*
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6097899

Yay! on getting power back, Lisa! What a big mess with all the trees/branches everywhere. (Gonna get a wood heater?)

How'd ya'll stay in the camper with a hole in the roof? Hope you and Jesse found some great way to plug the hole to keep the heat in.

Hehehe, once 'pon a time ya'll wanted to see snow, I'd say you're seasoned now with snow and ice.

Hope Sharon and others follow along pretty quick with getting power soon. A big warm-up is expected this weekend so hopefully that'll help speed things along.

Hang in there. And to quote E.T., with index finger pointing at ya,
"Be Warm" (or something like that!)

Shoe

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6098184

Lisa, You got your work cut out for you. Is the ice melted yet ?
Most of the trees should be back to normal when the ice is gone. We had a heavy snow 2 years ago. One of our trees had a huge branch break. It was down to the ground. When the snow melted it went back up & is still growing. We had to cut off some of the end was all.
Hang in there, one of these days the weather might get back to normal!
Bernie

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6098201

Snow and ice is long gone, we've had some 60 degree days since...and some single digit days as well.

The trees that were not broken did return to their former shapes. There are just so many broken ones. My crape myrtles were almost on the ground, but I only have 2 broken branches on them. Many of the other trees are not so lucky.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6098611

I sure hope the people who are still without power get some soon. It's just the pits.

Melody a nice clean fridge sounds good to me.

Lisa, it's amazing that no one was hurt when that limb landed on your trailer. Amazing pictures. Those trees look so sad.

MaryE, that is so sweet/sad about the 92 year old woman.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6099997

Sorry, I haven't had time to read all of the posts above, but I heard on the news about the plight of folks in KY and related areas. I heard that the nat guard has been delivering food to folks there. Sounds like some folks there may not be able to get out to get food/supplies.

I was wondering if anyone is in dire straits due to the weather and in need of anything. If so, can you receive mail, UPS, etc?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
6:49 AM

Post #6100352

Ahhhhhh, Finally. After 9 days and 37 minutes, my house is up to 52, my cats are happy, and I am so glad to be here.

It has truly been a remarkable experience in patience, determination, downright panic. I am not very patient, I am very determined, and I flat out panicked every single day.

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes and your prayers. Insurance guys will be here Saturday, and hopefully I will get the rest of my yard cleaned up over the weekend, so things are looking much better. I am just so thankful that there were very few injuries, even though there have been fires and homes lost.

I am an old pro at living off the land, but I couldn't find the land for all the branches and debris. Now I am going to sleep in my own bed, and tomorrow I will grind my coffee beans and have my first real cup of coffee in nearly two weeks...Ahhhhhh...I am so happy.

Thank you again for being concerned for us, and thank you for all the calls, including those I didn't get. I know you tried.

NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6100564

Lisa, glad you and Jesse and Sally are all okay. Hope the animals are all well. Sorry about the little camper - hope it can be repaired! (After all, you'll need it for the KYRU!)

Melody, glad some semblance of normalcy is returning! Do you have power at the business yet?

Sharon, good news! So glad you're back with us - bet the kitties are delighted to have you home at night again!

We love you all.

Bonnie
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6100727

Sharon,
welcome back! I'm so glad things are going to get back to normal for you. I know how you feel about the kitties, I was in the same boat. I was concerned about my kitties also. They kept looking at me as if to say "is this some kind of a joke?". They looked so cold.

Nanu, we will be able to repair the camper. It'll be back up and running in time for camping season!

scutler,
Nat'l Guard is here helping out, wonderful group of folks. I can't speak for all of the county, but I think most of the area is able to receive mail. The roads have been (for the most part) cleared and folks are out and about. The elderly who lived alone were the hardest hit.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6101368

Welcome back Sharon!

12 miles seemed like 1200 for the last 9 days. Even driving down the road was a challenge after the ice melted. Trees and branches are still falling in the roads.

Still no power at the shop. The line comes from across the road and there is a woods that it has to wind through...I can only imagine what happened there. This same line serves the people on a smaller road across the highway from me. There are maybe 25 houses down there. They still have no power.

Keith stopped in at the shop yesterday and when he got out of the car, he heard water running. We have a mobile home hook up that a lady rents for her trailer home. She left last week to stay with parents...water is running everywhere from the broken pipes. The water line is a spur of our shop line. Keith shut the shop water off to stop the flood. There's no telling how much has run out. The water company gives us one adjustment in a 12 month period, so we'll get some help there. It will be a mess regardless.

We're ok and getting back into a routine. We don't need anything...many have asked and offered, but we're fine.

There are still lots of folks in a horrible situation...and not just KY, surrounding states have been affected as well. We just had the biggest hit that impacted the largest population.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6101404

Welcome home, Sharon. It is good knowing that you are back home safe and sound. Bet those two cats are glad to see you too.

Mel, that is terrible about the water line. When it rains it pours, huh? It seems like trouble has a way of just keeping on keeping on, doesn't it? Here's hoping you can get the latest messes taken care of quickly and without a lot of extra expense. Maybe this craziness with end for you guys soon. The nice weather we are expecting for a few days will hopefully help you and others get their lives back to normal without a lot more delay.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6101424

Welcome back, Sharon. You've just re-entered the modern day world, eh? Just think, this episode will surely draw up some past memories for your next story(s)! I know it sure would for me...times of kerosene table lamps sharing their light, bouncing a soft glow off wall hangings ("The family that prays together stays together"), or laying in my bed behind the coal/wood stove, warm as toast, listening to the fire whisper me to sleep. (Electricity? Not quite sure what that is yet.)

Again, welcome back! Will be watching for your next story!

Shoe
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6101450

The "stinky" smell of fuel oil and the nosebleeds from the dry air.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6101478

I'm glad things are slowly returning to normal for you all.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6102151

Thanks so much.
Melody, 12 miles could have been forever, I know. But one of those days last week, Melody inadvertently called the home of the folks where I was staying, she was confirming a guitar lesson I think, and in doing so relayed some of her situation to him, and he to me. So I knew Mel was OK, and knowing Mel was OK made me know that Lisa was also OK...so I marked them off my list of worries at that time. Melody and Lisa are not that far from me in fact, but they are on a different electrical line, different company and we probably also are on different phone and internet services. So the 12 miles were very very long miles.
As she said, we are fine, and neighbors are helping each other, as are other states when they send crews in to help. But we do so appreciate your offers of help, and the concern and good wishes you sent our way.

Yep, Shoe...tons of stories. Felt like old Abe reading by the firelight. Probably looked a little like him too...I sure do have a few more wrinkles.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6102266

You were at Benny's house? He sounded in better shape than most with his gas logs.

Benny takes guitar from Keith...I was canceling the lesson in case he tried to navigate the wilderness at night.

Good to know that you've got someone that great nearby. They are 'family' of sorts...in-laws, in law I guess you'd call it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009

Post #6102330

Yes, Brad had the girls and there was lots of room and lots of little girl things to do. (Brad lives beside me).
They just called, and Benny still has no electricity, so I guess they will be at Brad's now. I could cook on my stove top (gas) so I cooked up all my frozen food and took it to them every day till I ran out, then we pizza-ed and grilled cheese on the fireplace the rest of the time. The girls roasted marshmallows and Benny and I regaled them with stories of walking barefoot to school for miles uphill in the snow...they didn't believe a word of it.
And one day I taught Marlie to crochet. That was a trip!
His house was warm, though, and big, so all was well.

They have been close friends for a long long time. Almost as long as you, Mel. Anyway, it was good to know that you were OK, and yes, I knew the connection.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6102349

"in-laws, in law" - I must look at some reference books for that one. I don't believe I know that term. :>) Just kidding. I know what you mean. LOL!
I hope that many of you are having a much better sunshiny day today. Man, I never knew how much I have missed the sunshine until I went outside today just to enjoy it. It surely did warm my chilled bones.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6102379

I can't even begin to explain the connection here...but rest assured that both Keith and myself are in-laws in law to this family.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6102501

I got confused trying to listen to Benny explain it, too...but I think he got just as confused when I tried to explain mine to Melody and Keith, ...needless to say, it's all good. Now to add to everybody's confusion, I did remember Dot's visit to your hospital room last year, and there I realized your connection...anyway...it all goes back a long way, when I first moved to the area, and since I had been worried about Melody, they were all good stories to tell around the fire. But Mel's cell number was in my phone, which was not working at the time, and he had no way of knowing your cell number either...
Told you it was a long complicated story. I would have grabbed the phone from him, if I had known.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6103044

Hey guys, I bet this thread is getting a bit long for folks with dial up. Since I didn't start it I suggest that maybe a new thread would be nice. I don't want to see this one dissolve however. Now that things are better for our participating folks,...this new term "in laws, in laws" still needs a bit of study on my part. Therefore I don't think it is a good time to dissolve a LEARNING thread.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009

Post #6103150

If I could *snort* like Terry does, now would be a good time for it...
Mel, your thread, darlin, gives us a new one, please.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6103204

Here's the new thread...sorry, I didn't even notice how long the first one was getting.

Join us over there for the recovery.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/949902/
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6103409

Thanks Kiddo!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America