Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: Can I decoupage a countertop?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 26, Views: 397
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6060698

I have an old bathroom vanity that's won't be changed anytime soon, I want to paint the bottom but the counter is that 70's yellow...yuck!!!! Can I decoupage it? Or any other suggestions?
I did find this...
http://budgetdecorating.about.com/od/kitchendecor/ht/Laminate_Paint.htm
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6061436

Hi Jen,

The short answer is yes, but. :-)

The problem is the countertop is likely smooth and slick, thus the decoupage
could be peeled off in one piece. No stick. No grip. Of course, this would be fine
if you did not intend to touch or use the sink, but merely wished to cover it up for
cosmetic sake.

You could use a palm sander or hand sand the counter top to make it slightly rough.
This would give it a bit of 'tooth' as they say, enabling the decoupage or paste to
adhere to the sink without slip.

The next issue would be water, so you would have to seal the decoupage beyond
the paper just a bit to ensure the water did not get under your paper. I would think
a good non-yellowing polyurethane would be the best bet for this, even a deck
sealer?

Best of luck,
KM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6061720

I've seen it done with that pour on thick ?poly? lucite? Any way... they cut the edges off and replaced them with pretty pieces of stained wood after it was dry.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6061842

Oooh, Juney, that would look great!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6061869

It sure did! This was a shop just a short walk from my apartment in Germany nearly 30 years ago, or I would go ask for details.

I think that they painted and decoupaged some fruits and foods on the edges of the customer areas.

Spar varnish is used in wet areas, maybe that is what you'd use. I'd ask at the paint store.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

January 28, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6062098

The pour on acrylic would make a waterproof surface, but may scratch. I had an outdoor table that had this on it and once a year I would wax it with acrylic floor way to shine it back up and hide the scratches. In a bathroom it would hold up quite well, just make sure that there is enough caulk around the sink to seal it. The sanding first is a good idea too.

To use the pour on finish, do your regular epoxy with mod poge or whatever. When it is completely dry (at least 24 hours), then you mix the glaze and put it on. If you need to sand the edges, they will be opaque, but you can polish it as smooth as possible and then use the floor wax.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6062264

Thanks all!

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6063871

OH, Please post a picture when completed...Deb
Lulie
Northeast, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6065770

I know a lady that does faux finishes with cement (concrete). Doors, counter tops and floors. They turn out so beautiful, you would never know that it is just a thin layer of covering. She adds color and tosses some coffee grounds, rock salt or even plant food to pit the concrete and make it look ancient. Then she applies polyurethane to seal it. She can make a fake brick floor that looks like it's a hundred years old!

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6067211

Our master bathroom jaquzzi tub is surrounded by a concrete design and yes, it's totally cool how they can age the "rock" or make it look like tile, whatever...we love it and it's so easy to clean...Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6069279

Nice!
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6288299

I had a counter like yours only mine was pepto pink.. yuk!!! I bought a bucket of broken tile at Lowes for a buck and did a mosaic top .. it turned out great and cost to do it was about 12.00 after buying the glue and grout and wood to finish the edge.
Id post a pic but my camera batteries are dead..sorry

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6290225

ooooo, sounds pretty. Please post a pic when you get some new batteries, thanks!

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6290541

Yes, Please!!! Deb
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6291513

OKAY!! I got the batteries charged last night .. this is it.. it was my first attempt at anything like this...its an white/ off white/ tan stone like tile that was already busted up.. I just took a chair in the bathroom and played like it was a puzzle and pieced it together I did have to break some up for smaller pieces. Before I did the puzzle I scuffed the counter up so the glue would hold. I glued. grouted then sealed the grout about 3 days later.. then I added wood around the edge to make it flush with the counter edge.. the material used to finish where its up against the wall is the press and stick bath tub edgeing for the floor. A very easy and Cheap fix to an ugly counter
this is a before pic

Thumbnail by blkraven2

nanaka
Webster, WI

March 19, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6291518

Please get some batteries blkraven! I would love to see it... I have the same thing Flowerjen, only in my kitchen. I mean I do like yellow but this is an awful yellow! I have these pieces of butcher block that would be enough to redo the whole countertop, but I don't know how I would seal it. I don't want the shininess of epoxy. I would like to just oil it. But, does anyone out there know if this would hold up? And not water stain and koolaid stain etc...
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6291519

this is the after

Thumbnail by blkraven2

nanaka
Webster, WI

March 19, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6291541

WOW That was fast! Ask and yea shall receive! It is beautiful!!!
Did you tile around the sink as it was or did you have to lift the sink up to let the tile go underneath it? This is the other thing I've been wondering. Been wanting to do this for years to both the kitchen and the bathroom!

You did a great job!

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6291584

I love it!!!! looks great! Deb
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6291655

Thanks !I I think I did okay with it seeing I had NO idea what I was doing...lol..! and it holding up real well. I did it about a year ago.
I didnt want to get into the additional labor of having to adjust the faucets and drain when you lift the sink and I didnt have anyone to help me so I just did it up to the edge then filled in with grout. With just one of me here I didnt think itd be a problem but if your bathroom is heavily used by kids and teenagers Id lift it and do it that way. They arent as neat as we are..lol..
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6291673

If you are going to use poly buy the kind for outdoors. They have it a Lowe's. There is a product called FAMOWOOD Crystal Clear Glaze Coat. It is self leveling and is equal to sixty coats of of varnish or poly. I bought it at Lowe's to put on my table after I refinish it.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6291926

There is some oil that is used on butcher block. Ask at HD or Lowes in the kitchen/bath countertop sales section.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6291929

OMG! I forgot to say how much I really love that countertop!! What a great T to T!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6292028

Wow, it looks great!
nanaka
Webster, WI

March 20, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6292320

Thanks for the input Juney and Smokey, I will have to ask at Menards. We don't have home depot or lowes here.
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6301514

blkraven2 - your results are gawgeous! Very good job indeed.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6301550

thank you.. when I got the tile Lowes made me buy all that was broken and it was 11 buckets full!!! I was glad I had the truck that day..lol.. I was so excited about getting it for that price.. My sister just rolled her eyes when I told her what I bought.. (She knows Im crazy but knows I make something of all the junk I buy.lol..) I have since used the tile in making pavers for my yard and in making a table for by the pool this summer.. I still have about 5 buckets left...lol.. but I will use them up ...some how!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America