Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Giant Snowflake. Did You Know?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

One of today's GH items:
1887: A snowflake 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick--the largest ever recorded--fell at Fort Keough, Montana.

Here are some other interesting facts. I have never heard of 'snirt' before. Great word though. Also I bet people buy more chocolate during blizzards too. Well at least I do ^_^

"Did you know?
Every snowflake has its own unique shape and is different than all other snowflakes.

All snowflakes have six sides.

Snowflakes aren't always white. Years ago, when coal was used in factories and homes, snow was often gray. Why? Because the coal dust entered the air and was absorbed by the clouds.

In Prince Edward Island, Canada, where the soil is red clay, snowflakes often look pink. Why? Because red dust from the soil is blown into the air and absorbed by the clouds.

The largest snowflakes ever recorded fell in the state of Montana in the United States of America. The snowflakes were 15 inches in diameter.

The snow capital of the United States is Stampede Pass in Washington State. Each year, the average snowfall is 430 inches.

The average snowflake falls at a speed of 3.1 miles per hour. (5 kilometers)

Snirt is dirty snow that flies off the dusty Canadian prairies.

People buy more cakes, cookies and candies than any other food when a blizzard is in the forecast.

A blizzard occurs when you can't see for 1/4 mile. The winds are always 35 miles an hour or more. The storm must last at least 3 hours to be classed as a blizzard. If any of these conditions are less, it is only a snowstorm.

Billions of snowflakes fall during one short snowstorm.

That snowflakes are made up of ice crystals. "

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

snirt...I like it ;o) Of course, in this part of the country, snow rarely sticks around long enough to become dirty. If you blink, you might miss it!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

"1887: A snowflake 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick--the largest ever recorded--fell at Fort Keough, Montana" Who found? Who measured? You are amazing. This feature is fun!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A rancher found it. The MTers are rallying to find out more info although I'm not sure if we have members around Miles City. This is a great article that angele found for us on the Rocky Mountain Forum. Now of course I want to read Ken Libbrecht's 'Field Guild to Snowflakes'. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20snow.html?_r=1

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Neat article. Around the Ozarks and I guess, every mountainous area, we have snow flakes that get blown back upwards enough times to become "sneet" That is an almost hard ball of snow, shaped like sleet. Thankfully, they don't get too large, as they hurt almost as bad as sleet when they bounce off of you face.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

And then of course there is snain...which splooshes when it hits the ground.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL 'snain'. I like it. We call that plump rain.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I've seen snain! I didn't know what it was called. It looks like lumpy raindrops have fallen.

Westfield, IN

hello all! anyone ever seen "snow rollers" we had them once here in indiana...when the conditions are right the snow rolls up into hollow cylinders, sometimes 3-4 ft long and 1 foot in diameter...Ira talked about once on science friday...only have seen them that one time but i guess they are more common in other parts of the country.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Wow, that must be a sight.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I haven't seen those. Sounds cool.

[deleted by admin]

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Is that a sneaky advert teehyori?

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

dahlianut there have been 2 occasions in my 45 years,where we have had a white christmas[in the middle of summer].

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Whoa gwhizz in the middle of your summer (december)? That would be something to see in your dry climate!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.