-
AuthorContent
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6062367

"1887: A snowflake 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick--the largest ever recorded--fell at Fort Keough, Montana" Who found? Who measured?
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6062962

LOL! It does sound kind of like a tall tale, doesn't it? Now I'm curious too...

I guess maybe there wasn't much to do in Fort Keough Montana in those days, in the winter particularly, so people would go out and measure snowflakes, see who could find the biggest one... One fella found one, not the biggest, but pretty big, that had computer code in it , in the pattern. But , since no one knew computer code in those days, they didn't believe him when he told about it, and the code is lost to us. Instead, everyone made a fuss over this huge 15-incher of a snowflake, but some secretly suspected it had been glued together with ice to make up the size of it.

They didn't have digital cameras in those days either, so we will never know. And now, the snowflakes are smaller due to the need for conservation of resources. There was more to go around, back then.

;-)

By the way, no offense intended to the folks who put together the historical notes feature. I'm just playin around.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6063042

I was curious too, so I went looking for more info. I found the same information posted in various places on the internet, but I didn't find any more details. Makes for some entertaining research though.

My theory is that sounds more like a chunk of ice that slid off of the barn roof, rather than fell from the sky. ;) As I type that, I'm thinking of Chicken Little and "the sky is falling!"

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6063169

It does sound like a tall tale, but we found it in enough spots to add it to the list ;o)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6063742

I'm glad you included it Terry. The snowflake experts in the NY Times article indicate that it could have been that big. This is a great item because I never knew that so many were studying big snowflakes and now I've learned how they occur. Very interesting.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6063752

I'm glad it was included too. It made me research something that I never would have thought of on my own.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Hortiscopes & History Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 21 Feb 6, 2009 4:39 AM
Wake Island OutsidePlaying 25 Jan 23, 2009 12:39 PM
Fanny Farmer!! threegardeners 31 Jul 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Tell us how we're doing, please! Terry 91 Aug 6, 2009 12:12 AM
Giant Snowflake. Did You Know? dahlianut 14 Dec 12, 2009 5:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America