Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
APRILMAEMAE
San Antonio, TX

January 29, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6066003

i live in south texas and wanted to plant some red tips for privacy from the neighbors along the fence when is a good time to plant them?
thanks so much
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6067238

If you mean Photinia,it can be planted anytime this spring.In your zone,it should be fine as long as you are not having prolonged spells of freezing weather,which would be very unusual for San Antonio.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 29, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6068304

PLEASE do web searches for the terrible viral disease that is wiping out red tip photinias in most of the U.S. They should never be sold, much less bought.

The old Chinese photinia is reliable and not susceptible to the disease. Actually, it is a prettier shrub/tree, also. The red hue of the new growth of red tip made it a favorite in the 70's and early 80's before calamity struck.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6068399

I also read about there being a problem,but I had no idea it had gotten so severe.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6068511

Red-tip Photinia almost eliminated
Mississippi Gardens Newspaper and Web Column - April 5, 2004

Ten years ago, one of the most popular shrubs in the South was the Red-tip Photinia (Photinia fraseri). Everybody wanted this handsome evergreen shrub and it was widely grown by Southern nursery growers for use in both commercial and residential landscapes.

Red-tip is a wonderful, large, evergreen shrub with attractive foliage and showy white flowers. Its claim to fame is brilliant red new foliage that appears in the spring.

Nevertheless, in the last ten years or so, Red-tip has gone from the top of the list to the bottom due to intense pressure from a devastating fungal disease.

Red-tip is highly susceptible to the fungal pathogen known as Entomosporium that causes leaf spots and ultimately defoliation. The disease has all but eliminated Red-tip from the list of recommended shrubs for Southern landscapes. In fact, the disease is so widespread that one plant pathologist jokingly explained that there are two types of Red-tip, those that have the disease and those that are going to get it! So, even though newly planted Red-tip bushes may stay disease free for many years, ultimately they will succumb to the inevitable.

There are suggested replacements for Red-tip Photinia, one of which, Chinese Photinia (Photinia serrulata), is actually quite similar in many ways to Red-tip. Chinese Photinia is a large shrub that will eventually make a small tree with lustrous green leaves that are a little larger than those of Red-tip and slightly more serrated. Its flowers are also white and very showy. However, instead of having brilliant red new growth its foliage tends to be more coppery red and thus less dazzling than its unfortunate cousin.
APRILMAEMAE
San Antonio, TX

January 30, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6070349

what i am trying to achieve is some privacy from the neighbors!
i have a 6 foot privacy fence but i wanted to add something.
last year i bought 6 "green giant" thuja 25.00 dollars each and they croacked!
any suggestion would be great
thanks
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6070436

Nellie R. Stephens holly will do the job. Don't know what green giant thuja is. Need to Google that.
APRILMAEMAE
San Antonio, TX

January 30, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6070519

don't the holly have pickers?
i have a 4 year old and a set of 18 month old twins.
AND a curious basset hound

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6070820

Yes, hollies have several sharp points per leaf although I usually don't think of Nellies as prickly.
I'd also like to suggest Chindo Viburnum and Arizona Cypress. Both are fast growers that can tolerate heat and dry soil. I don't know what killed your Green Giant Arborvitae but you may want to make sure your soil is properly amended with organic matter before you plant anything else.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6071144

I'd consider the mature HEIGHT of whatever you plant. Do you mind if the plants get 15 feet tall, or do you want them to stay at 7 or 8 feet? No one wants to be topping shrubs to keep them shorter than they are meant to grow, and not only is that work, but eventually the plants get ugly with thick limbs below and twigs at the top. You want evergreens, I guess, so that rules out crape myrtles (some of which get only 6 or 7 feet tall and others up to 25 ft.)

How long or wide is the area where these barrier shrubs will go? What kind of fence are they up against?
APRILMAEMAE
San Antonio, TX

January 31, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6073001

thanks i am going to look up chindo viburnum,arizona cypress.
yes you are right i don't want to be topping the plants all the time. i would say id like something atleast 7 or 8 feet tall.
i have 7 crape myrtles in the yard right now. i bought the ones that grow to 10-12 feet high. all different colors. (I LOVE THEM!!)
i would say the span i want to fill is about 20 feet.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6073281

I know you're afraid of hollies, but needlepoint, or willowleaf (despite its name) isn't prickly and would be the perfect height.
About 7-8 ft. and maybe 5 ft. wide. Four of them would be great for a 20 ft. span. No diseases; red berries in winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America