Advice needed: Wages for florist with basic skills?

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All,

I've never posted on this forum before but I need a bit of advice.
I worked as a florist about 7 years ago doing most of the basic arrangements. I thought I might try to pick up some temp work at a florist shop for next couple of weeks before Valentine's Day. I'm sure it will take me very little time to brush up on making rose dozens which is 95% of Valentine's orders anyway. Since it's been so long since I've worked in the industry, what I need to know is... What is a reasonable wage per hour for a florist with basic skills?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Danita

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Danita,
Thanks for posting on this forum, nice to meet you!
I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, but good luck with the temp work.
Terri

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Terri, it's nice to meet you too! :)

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

It's been several years since I worked in my DD's floral shop. I often think I should apply at a local store for part time work, but it's been so long. One thing I know, they will probably ask you to put together an arrangement on the spot to see your work. I was always slow at bow making.

I don't think they pay very well. Maybe $7/per hour. I was making $9 at the time (1999), but it was my daughter's shop. I'd love to try it again. Good luck, hope you get the job.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Danita, it's also been a while for me. I was making 8.25 in 2000. More experienced designers were making $9-12. Not sure what the current wages are today, but I'm guessing about $10-12 for basic design help, maybe a little more if they need you for valentines. Perhaps apply for several positions and take the best offer?

london England, United Kingdom

Hi Danita,
Have you had any luck getting a temp job yet? Valentines soon!!
Have you got any pictures of your work? Wishing you well,
Terri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.