Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Advice needed: Wages for florist with basic skills?

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Danita
Cobb County, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6066205

Hi All,

I've never posted on this forum before but I need a bit of advice.
I worked as a florist about 7 years ago doing most of the basic arrangements. I thought I might try to pick up some temp work at a florist shop for next couple of weeks before Valentine's Day. I'm sure it will take me very little time to brush up on making rose dozens which is 95% of Valentine's orders anyway. Since it's been so long since I've worked in the industry, what I need to know is... What is a reasonable wage per hour for a florist with basic skills?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
Danita
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6071120

Hi Danita,
Thanks for posting on this forum, nice to meet you!
I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, but good luck with the temp work.
Terri
Danita
Cobb County, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
6:24 AM

Post #6073761

Thanks Terri, it's nice to meet you too! :)
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6073965

It's been several years since I worked in my DD's floral shop. I often think I should apply at a local store for part time work, but it's been so long. One thing I know, they will probably ask you to put together an arrangement on the spot to see your work. I was always slow at bow making.

I don't think they pay very well. Maybe $7/per hour. I was making $9 at the time (1999), but it was my daughter's shop. I'd love to try it again. Good luck, hope you get the job.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6074605

Hi Danita, it's also been a while for me. I was making 8.25 in 2000. More experienced designers were making $9-12. Not sure what the current wages are today, but I'm guessing about $10-12 for basic design help, maybe a little more if they need you for valentines. Perhaps apply for several positions and take the best offer?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6096599

Hi Danita,
Have you had any luck getting a temp job yet? Valentines soon!!
Have you got any pictures of your work? Wishing you well,
Terri

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America