Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Xeriscape Gardening: Beekeeping Xeriscaping Plants / Trees

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rocky63
Larnaca
Cyprus

January 29, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6067526

I am very interested for xeriscaping plants especially trees suitable for beekeeping ( nectar or pollen ).My target is to use a number of plants flowering at different seasons of the year.I am already use Parcinsonia acuelata, Leucaena leucocephala, Ceratonia siliqua, Rosmarinus officinalis, Melia adzetarach, Eucalyptus torguata, Eucalyptus leucoxylon, Acacia farmesiana.Any other suggestions?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 12, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6128840

I'm willing to bet that the Palo Verde tree that has tons of yellow flowers would help. VERY drought tolerant and fast grower from seed. Left all my seedlings in CA when we moved but they were about three feet tall the first year.
Rocky63
Larnaca
Cyprus

February 12, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6129151

I already have some seeds of Cercidium floridum.I never plant this before.I wonder how easy is to grow it.Any special requirements?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 12, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6129199

When I sowed them, I nicked them a little and soaked them over night, then used bottom heat and a dome. I grow several of my stuff under lights in the winter.. the humidity makes them germinate really fast. I think the seed coat on this is pretty hard, you can also just use a nail emory board and sand off some of the seedcoat so that moisture can get in. Once they germinate they will grow pretty fast and need transplanting or they out grow their pots... I don't know if they have deep tap roots though, because I put mine out into the ground after a couple of months.
Rocky63
Larnaca
Cyprus

February 12, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6129325

Thanks Gourd,

I will follow your instrunctions .I used the same method two weeks before and from 24 seeds of Caesalpinia gilliesii now I have 22 seedlings !!!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 15, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6140341

You are welcome... good going there on the Caesalpinia. I grew some of those also a couple of years ago. I may give it another try, I had the red with yellow.

A.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6151714

Manzanita is a good Winter flowering option. I've also observed that bees are partial to Oreganos.
crazymary
Lodi, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6369578

I know this post is a little late, but Teucrium fruticans 'azureum' is a great plant and blooms from fall through winter here with gorgeous blue flowers. The bees go crazy for it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America