Photo by Melody

Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and Plants: Cherokee

Communities > Forums > Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6069026

I was always taught to give thanks to the plant, and you are correct about gifting the plant. A bead, a shell or a pinch of tobacco are common gifts. We were also taught; as were you, not to pick all the growth from the plant, but leave enough for 7 generations in the future.
My brother and I are working on saving the native herbs and medicines in our area. A lot of good books and information about the farming practices in many areas are recorded by the tribes themselves, but usually are only passed down orally. Which means too much of our heritage has been lost. How do you explain what a pinch of something is, when they don't know how big your Grandma's fingers were? It isn't just a matter of going out and collecting, but there is also a spiritual connection between the collector, the plant, and the end user of the plant. It is all part of the great circle.
Keep up the good work.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6069037

Thank you - Mitch

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cherokee LouC 1 Jan 23, 2009 4:12 PM
Cherokee mittsy 1 Jan 23, 2009 4:13 PM
Wild native herbs and more Allwild 1 Jan 23, 2009 7:30 PM
Cherokee and Herbs starlight1153 1 Jan 24, 2009 12:14 AM
Tend the garden Aunt_A 1 Jan 24, 2009 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America