ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 143 - No Spring Yet!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946174/

Pic courtesy of Henry10

Thumbnail by DustyDS

How weird... the Pic won't expand...Oh well....

You all are not going to believe this...I just went out to refill the feeders, and most of the birds just move up to the top of the Mimosa or over to the River Birch, but never go very far...Little Fuzzy butt Woodie just moved up on the big branch over my head...I got the big feeder filled and scattered some below for the doves and put the squirrel food in his bin and was balancing myself on the ice to reach for the Niger tube with my right arm out and the left getting the tube, and Fuzzy butt landed on my right wrist...I was so shocked I froze solid and he sat there about 3-4 seconds looking me dead in the eye...then he went back up in the tree...
A blue leather jacket does not remotely resemble anything for him to eat, but I have never been so suprised in my life...

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Dusty, a lot of that stuff in the birdseed I buy that the birds scatter on the ground does grow. I'm guessing at the end of summer, we'd have to cut back the plants and hang upside to dry? I didn't get that done back home, except with the mammoth sunflower heads I wanted to dry. The birds got to them though and ate every seed. So...I'm thinking if we just spread a couple of handfuls of seed on the ground and protect the seeds to keep the birds away, let it grow over the summer, then harvest and dry in the fall, that we'd have lots of seed for next winter. At least it seems like a bright idea to me! LOL!

{ Copied from old thread }

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Dusty...How COOL that is!

Robin, you may be right...I will tell you how my gramps saved his sunflower heads...Ya know those tight weave onion sacks??? He tied those over the heads just before they started to get ripe...Birds couldn't get to them, and the seeds fell into the sacks as they dried...He also used cheesecloth that had been boiled so the weave got tight....

I am going to hit Tractor Supply as soon as I can, and get some unmedicated poultry feed and cracked corn...If I put that down, the Doves will be thrilled, the Gracks can feast and maybe stay out of the feed the Cards eat...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all! The sun is shining here! How cold you ask???? Last I looked we were up to 14 degrees!!! Woohooo!! A heat wave!
And I am getting out of here today!!!! Never thought I would look forward to going to wallyworld so much....lol!
Ok...now I am going to be a spoil sport here. For all you folks that feed the birds...first of all...I envy you. I wish I still could. We used to fill 3 different feeders...ALL the time. Used to go to the farm store and buy in bulk. Well let me tell you what happened.
Of course you know how messy the birds are...dropping and throwing food on the ground. After a few years of this, we noticed we had voles.....really bad. They were everywhere!!! And they are sooooo destructive! We also saw rats...outside. And skunks...who took up residence under my potting shed! So we stopped feeding the birds. We STILL haven't gotten rid of all the voles...but I think the rest have vacated. They were all getting a free lunch!
Sooooo...what I am trying to say is this...keep your eyes open this spring!
I miss feeding my birds, believe me. It was so fun to watch them. We still have lots of birds around...what with all the fields and weed seeds. And I always leave the stalks of my perennials on until spring too.
Now that I have been the voice of doom and gloom....I will say to all...Have a wonderful day out there!!!! I plan to!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Marcy, my answer to possible critter problems from feeding the birds is the local cat population that hang out in the hillside behind my house... plus 2 of mine are outside on warm days.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Darius...you must have GOOD cats...lol! My BIG kitty only seems to want birds! She thinks mice and voles are to play with! Maybe we need about ten more cats....outdoors! But Mandy wouldn't allow that either! We have tried taking in strays...and she just absolutely refuses to make up with them. It's HER house...HER yard....all HERS!!!
She is rotten!

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

msrobin i m still sane and inside. Sorry to hear the codiene is not working for you :( i love that stuff too. LOLLL
got skid steer up and running and it was cold!!!! neighor came over to help me , he is doing his driveway with it .
I wonder what is keeping him ?
Ric them are some nice pics !!!! i like the closeup one, too cool.
not much going on here *sigh*
hope the dd can get over to the neighbors to play iwth her dd this afternoon. that would be nice. she has been bored. We did alot of painting yesterday
ttyl
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Alright, Marcy....no need to sugar coat it on our account! If feeding the birds is a bad idea for fear of attracting undesirable critters, well, just tell us straight up! LOL! I have to admit though that I have seen an increase in population of voles....eewwhh! :(

Okay folks...update on my feeling so puny...I think I'm gonna live! I can BREATHE today, well at least after I got over the feeling of having a plastic bag tied over my head first thing this morning.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Good morning!

Back still hurting but wanted to mark the new thread.

Going back to bed.

You can eradicate voles and moles with Juicy Fruit chewing gum...

What does the Juicy Fruit gum do to the voles. ?
took dd to our neighbors to play with their girl. Well...... they have a dog and it jumps and i mean jumps ! like paws on your shoulders. ITs a boxer. She got scared , neighbor rolled eyes .hmmmm. don't know how to take that . I hope its going ok over their.
I just can't stand when people have dogs that jump on you, its a very bad, bad .bad doggie manners, IMHO. I did the ol Ceasar Milan trick and it seemed to work , but i think she got irrated when i deciplined her dog. Not to worried about it. Her problem .
Toni i hope your back gets better soon. WE miss you girl !
so my house is quiet , Ds is on couch watching tv.
sunny here again
driveway is clear !
i hope we don't get another snow storm
ttyl
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

IMHO, if she didn't have enough consideration to stop the dog from jumping, then you had every right to stop it, regardless of whether it was her home or not. SHE let you in the door, right? It wasn't like you were walking down the road and decided to trespass just to disipline her dog. Although, I have been tempted to do that when I've seen some really mean bratty kids doing something wrong or dangerous. LOL!

Yeah bratty kids are the worse. I used to work in a day care and uhg, i still get hives and nightmares from some of them kids. (shudder and get creepy feeling ) just thinking about them
Yeah i went inside. She did hold the dog, but then didn't know what else to do ? so i took the dog and showed my dd how to handle it.I think maybe a jackabee would be a good idea like Dusty said. ? a GP is big ? like amazon big LOLLLL but they don't jump do they Dusty ? well no dog jumps in my house , i have good doggie manners.
ok well i better call and see if things are going good
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sue!
I took about 700 photos today.
I was out over 5 hours all told.
About 1/2 are ice closeups.
I'll post a link when I get done editing.

Well I didn't even think of cutting wood today.
Way to icey out there.
We'll probably break out the chain saw next weekend.
The Chiminea is on it's side but doesn't appear broken.
A few trellises and stands are toast and the poor Moose is surrounded by brush.
But we were very lucky.
No house damage, No car damage....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

msrobin,
Yep... pretty much my 1st experience in "real" weather - although we've been here for about 18 months, last winter was a walk in the park compared to this year.
My sister (who is still in California) says it's 70 at her house and in the 80s where Matt & I used to live.

I here everyone talk about going nuts with the kids home from school and under a freezing lock-down, Matt and I get the same effect except with my 80 year old mother. We are about to go nuts because there is no alone time... We sneak off to the basement just to have a private conversation, or pray we can get her to go to bed early.

On the bright side, it's Sunday and she's going to church.. woo-hoo we'll have the house to ourselves for a couple of hours.

Dove

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

dovey, your getting "broke in good" where the weather is concerned! I can sure understand some of what you're going through with your mother. My sis and I have to be careful what Mom hears, she forgets practically everything immediately, except for something you didn't want her to hear, LOL.

Its looking like we may get power back today. Some of our neighbors got power back last night and we could see lit houses in one direction. Looking like we'll be in the next section turned on. Its been nice gathering in the wood stove room and playing games and laughing, we've really made the best out of roughing it. A couple of friends from Montecello who do tree removal and chainsaw work are staying with us. Work had been scarce for them, so they came up here where there's plenty of demand. He also does roof repair and construction, so I don't think they'll have trouble keeping busy. His helpers are 2 females, his partner and a friend, so they thought of calling the business "Two Women and a Chainsaw", which was my favorite, LOL. But they ended up going with "Honeydoo Handyman", thinking that may get more responses.

The ice is pretty much gone this morning. It sure was beautiful with the sun shining- a diamond covered world out there!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning, the ice is leaving in a hurry. Last night was a night that held many odd sounds, ice cracking, breaking, sliding, you get the idea. I have only one tree casualty. I lost about a 1/3 of the top of a magnolia. I will have to try to find out, what needs to be done. I don't know whether to trim all the damage, or just leave it alone. It is a tree about 7 feet tall, and it was bent over with the top touching the ground.

DH is still at the hospital, and called to say that DMIL was quite a hand full last night. Wish that this part of the family's life would end soon.

No church today, so gonna concentrate of making a good dinner.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Dovey --- I feel your pain about your Mom and no privacy. I have a small house. My Mom can't hear me when I talk to her, but if I am on the phone, somehow she hears every word I am saying to someone, especially if it's about her. LOL

Yeah Neal i do hope you get your power on soon. Your one of the lucky ones . T&P to you.I like the name too.
Ric that pic is insane !!! i love photography ! You really put the clear insight on what is inside the winters slumber. People don't think to look at the little things , that gives a big picture. :) love it !!!
dovey yeah my parents are in Palo Alto and they are telling me its warm and sunny , yeah they rub it in. T&P for you and your DH.
getting taxes done today for the accountant. Got to get them in for our refi ,( if we get it . ) if we can get that 5% that would be awsome!
take care
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning, All! Glad to hear things are improving up north! Another few weeks and this will all be nearly forgotten.

Funny how so many elders seem to have very selective hearing. Rumor has it, a lot of DHs do too! ;-)

Ric, love your photos!

♫♫♫ I FEEL GOOD! ♫♫♫ (doing my best James Brown dance...is that who sang that song? Been so long since I heard it.) Sure feels great to be almost back to normal. We went out to a local diner for dinner last nite. What a treat to leave this motel room for a couple of hours.

Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry to be missing for so long. Our little GS was due for C-section at 9:30 on Friday, but an emergency C-section and then lunch put that schedule way off. He was born at 12:56. 8 pds. 1 1/2 oz., 20 inches. At first, no name. The couldn't hear his lung when they did the APGAR so took him for a chest x-ray. He had a partially collapsed lung. So what that meant was no cuddle time, no eating and straight to the NICU. Fed intraveinously, (through his head). They said it would take so much energy just to breathe that he wouldn't have the strength to suck on mom or a bottle. No holding as that would be too much for him also. They said he would probably have to stay in the hospital for a week. Mom will have to stay for 3-4 days because of the C-section. So after a very, very long day, we finally got back home for good at about 7:00. Dusty had blessed us with some lasagna and I couldn't have been more grateful for that as it was quick and delicious!

I am so happy to tell you that at his 6:00 x-ray last night, the lung was fully inflated. So he should start gaining strength now and could possibly come home with his mama. They were trying to feed him a little breast milk last night, but all he wanted to do was sleep. He has had a tough start, but last night after the x-ray, he finally got to be held for the first time. So hopefully it will all be okay from now on!

He does have a name now, It is Kyle Jacob. Here is a picture from his birthday. :o)

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is the afghan I made for him which I finally got to deliver to him last night.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It's taken me a long time to catch up, but please know that I'm praying for all you with health and heat problems. Chele...please be careful!

I'm loving all the pictures, and Dovey, you make me smile...looks like a kid with your first real snow!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Beautful! Both the (((new baby))) and afghan!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank You!! ^_^

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

EXCELLENT News Joyce!

Ric and Robyn

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow Joyce, what a bumpy ride. I'm so glad to hear that the news turned around quickly for Baby Kyle. I wish they wouldn't worry us like that. :) How many weeks pregnant was mom?

Thank you for worrying about me. I've been behaving. I'm about to shower and run across the road to take some more doggy pics.

Talk about noises in the night....I also heard a large scraping sound followed by a boom. It was too dark to tell if one of the trees had broken but it sounded like a glacier slid off the roof. When I looked this morning, the huge icicles by the bathroom window were gone. Apparently they dropped off the gutter, hit the ground and slid across the house.

I couldn't get a good picture yesterday (cuz I was not walking UNDER the trees!) but these icicles must have had the circumference of an orange and were about 4 feet long. Those green chunks in the background are a cedar tree that should be upright!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I forgot to say Kyle looks absolutely perfect! Can't wait until you all get him home and get more pics.

Yeah Michele... It will show you what a BOY looks like ... LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL I've already seen the "preview".

I know they are wrong often enough but what I saw was not an umbilical cord and it was not swollen girl parts. Hubby was cracking up the minute the image popped up on the screen.

6 weeks and 4 days to go...

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Joyce, what a scary beginning for little Kyle. Glad that things are looking up, and that he may get to accompany mom home. Are you close enough to get maximum grandma time? Enjoy it, they seem to grow up in such a hurry.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Woohoo, a NEW BABY! Congrats!! Sorry the little fella is having such a rough start, though. :(

We have a baby visiting here this weekend. She's the biggest 6-month old baby I've seen in a long time. Well, she's the ONLY baby I've seen in a long time, LOL. The mother is/was a high-school friend of Jessica's, and up here visiting relatives while her DH is deployed overseas.

Gotta run, it's much too pretty outside to stay in the house while the sun is shining!

Cookie so glad the news is good and his lungs are ok. :)
not much here
finished taxes
i have to see our accountant , then give them to our bank for the refi and hope they refi us !! that would be awsome. Not as awsome as a new GB but close LOLLLLL
warm today and it felt good
washed truck
lets hope it dont freeze tongiht
i think DS will be going to school tomorow . Lets hope he don't get sick again. sheesh.
I

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well a lot of the downed limb is cut away and stacked.

We just heard another crash.... then a BIG Crash...
One side of the metal garage roof dropped it's load of snow.
The other side is still hanging on.....

All the ice in the trees and on the lines is gone.
I was out working in shirtsleeves... it's 45 degrees here...

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Considering the start that Kyle had, I'm glad to post this picture!

Thumbnail by joycet

i think he is crying cuz he aint got his blankie made by his GM. :)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Joyce,
Kyle is beautiful...I bet you can't wait to snuggle that sweet little baby neck.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

It does my heart good to hear about other people and their elderly moms (parents)
Thanks for the feedback, it really did lift my spirits

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.