Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 143 - No Spring Yet!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 222, Views: 1,693
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6074565

Continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946174/

Pic courtesy of Henry10

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6074608

How weird... the Pic won't expand...Oh well...

You all are not going to believe this...I just went out to refill the feeders, and most of the birds just move up to the top of the Mimosa or over to the River Birch, but never go very far...Little Fuzzy butt Woodie just moved up on the big branch over my head...I got the big feeder filled and scattered some below for the doves and put the squirrel food in his bin and was balancing myself on the ice to reach for the Niger tube with my right arm out and the left getting the tube, and Fuzzy butt landed on my right wrist...I was so shocked I froze solid and he sat there about 3-4 seconds looking me dead in the eye...then he went back up in the tree...
A blue leather jacket does not remotely resemble anything for him to eat, but I have never been so suprised in my life...

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6074615

Dusty, a lot of that stuff in the birdseed I buy that the birds scatter on the ground does grow. I'm guessing at the end of summer, we'd have to cut back the plants and hang upside to dry? I didn't get that done back home, except with the mammoth sunflower heads I wanted to dry. The birds got to them though and ate every seed. So...I'm thinking if we just spread a couple of handfuls of seed on the ground and protect the seeds to keep the birds away, let it grow over the summer, then harvest and dry in the fall, that we'd have lots of seed for next winter. At least it seems like a bright idea to me! LOL!

{ Copied from old thread }
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6074619

Dusty...How COOL that is!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6074639

Robin, you may be right...I will tell you how my gramps saved his sunflower heads...Ya know those tight weave onion sacks??? He tied those over the heads just before they started to get ripe...Birds couldn't get to them, and the seeds fell into the sacks as they dried...He also used cheesecloth that had been boiled so the weave got tight...

I am going to hit Tractor Supply as soon as I can, and get some unmedicated poultry feed and cracked corn...If I put that down, the Doves will be thrilled, the Gracks can feast and maybe stay out of the feed the Cards eat...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6074729

Good morning all! The sun is shining here! How cold you ask???? Last I looked we were up to 14 degrees!!! Woohooo!! A heat wave!
And I am getting out of here today!!!! Never thought I would look forward to going to wallyworld so much...lol!
Ok...now I am going to be a spoil sport here. For all you folks that feed the birds...first of all...I envy you. I wish I still could. We used to fill 3 different feeders...ALL the time. Used to go to the farm store and buy in bulk. Well let me tell you what happened.
Of course you know how messy the birds are...dropping and throwing food on the ground. After a few years of this, we noticed we had voles...really bad. They were everywhere!!! And they are sooooo destructive! We also saw rats...outside. And skunks...who took up residence under my potting shed! So we stopped feeding the birds. We STILL haven't gotten rid of all the voles...but I think the rest have vacated. They were all getting a free lunch!
Sooooo...what I am trying to say is this...keep your eyes open this spring!
I miss feeding my birds, believe me. It was so fun to watch them. We still have lots of birds around...what with all the fields and weed seeds. And I always leave the stalks of my perennials on until spring too.
Now that I have been the voice of doom and gloom...I will say to all...Have a wonderful day out there!!!! I plan to!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6074749

Marcy, my answer to possible critter problems from feeding the birds is the local cat population that hang out in the hillside behind my house... plus 2 of mine are outside on warm days.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6074793

Darius...you must have GOOD cats...lol! My BIG kitty only seems to want birds! She thinks mice and voles are to play with! Maybe we need about ten more cats...outdoors! But Mandy wouldn't allow that either! We have tried taking in strays...and she just absolutely refuses to make up with them. It's HER house...HER yard...all HERS!!!
She is rotten!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6074928

msrobin i m still sane and inside. Sorry to hear the codiene is not working for you :( i love that stuff too. LOLLL
got skid steer up and running and it was cold!!!! neighor came over to help me , he is doing his driveway with it .
I wonder what is keeping him ?
Ric them are some nice pics !!!! i like the closeup one, too cool.
not much going on here *sigh*
hope the dd can get over to the neighbors to play iwth her dd this afternoon. that would be nice. she has been bored. We did alot of painting yesterday
ttyl
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6075014

Alright, Marcy...no need to sugar coat it on our account! If feeding the birds is a bad idea for fear of attracting undesirable critters, well, just tell us straight up! LOL! I have to admit though that I have seen an increase in population of voles...eewwhh! :(

Okay folks...update on my feeling so puny...I think I'm gonna live! I can BREATHE today, well at least after I got over the feeling of having a plastic bag tied over my head first thing this morning.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6075071

Good morning!

Back still hurting but wanted to mark the new thread.

Going back to bed.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6075106

You can eradicate voles and moles with Juicy Fruit chewing gum...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6075500

What does the Juicy Fruit gum do to the voles. ?
took dd to our neighbors to play with their girl. Well... they have a dog and it jumps and i mean jumps ! like paws on your shoulders. ITs a boxer. She got scared , neighbor rolled eyes .hmmmm. don't know how to take that . I hope its going ok over their.
I just can't stand when people have dogs that jump on you, its a very bad, bad .bad doggie manners, IMHO. I did the ol Ceasar Milan trick and it seemed to work , but i think she got irrated when i deciplined her dog. Not to worried about it. Her problem .
Toni i hope your back gets better soon. WE miss you girl !
so my house is quiet , Ds is on couch watching tv.
sunny here again
driveway is clear !
i hope we don't get another snow storm
ttyl
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6075542

IMHO, if she didn't have enough consideration to stop the dog from jumping, then you had every right to stop it, regardless of whether it was her home or not. SHE let you in the door, right? It wasn't like you were walking down the road and decided to trespass just to disipline her dog. Although, I have been tempted to do that when I've seen some really mean bratty kids doing something wrong or dangerous. LOL!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6075562

Yeah bratty kids are the worse. I used to work in a day care and uhg, i still get hives and nightmares from some of them kids. (shudder and get creepy feeling ) just thinking about them
Yeah i went inside. She did hold the dog, but then didn't know what else to do ? so i took the dog and showed my dd how to handle it.I think maybe a jackabee would be a good idea like Dusty said. ? a GP is big ? like amazon big LOLLLL but they don't jump do they Dusty ? well no dog jumps in my house , i have good doggie manners.
ok well i better call and see if things are going good
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6076781

Thanks Sue!
I took about 700 photos today.
I was out over 5 hours all told.
About 1/2 are ice closeups.
I'll post a link when I get done editing.

Well I didn't even think of cutting wood today.
Way to icey out there.
We'll probably break out the chain saw next weekend.
The Chiminea is on it's side but doesn't appear broken.
A few trellises and stands are toast and the poor Moose is surrounded by brush.
But we were very lucky.
No house damage, No car damage...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6077994

msrobin,
Yep... pretty much my 1st experience in "real" weather - although we've been here for about 18 months, last winter was a walk in the park compared to this year.
My sister (who is still in California) says it's 70 at her house and in the 80s where Matt & I used to live.

I here everyone talk about going nuts with the kids home from school and under a freezing lock-down, Matt and I get the same effect except with my 80 year old mother. We are about to go nuts because there is no alone time... We sneak off to the basement just to have a private conversation, or pray we can get her to go to bed early.

On the bright side, it's Sunday and she's going to church.. woo-hoo we'll have the house to ourselves for a couple of hours.

Dove

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6078147

dovey, your getting "broke in good" where the weather is concerned! I can sure understand some of what you're going through with your mother. My sis and I have to be careful what Mom hears, she forgets practically everything immediately, except for something you didn't want her to hear, LOL.

Its looking like we may get power back today. Some of our neighbors got power back last night and we could see lit houses in one direction. Looking like we'll be in the next section turned on. Its been nice gathering in the wood stove room and playing games and laughing, we've really made the best out of roughing it. A couple of friends from Montecello who do tree removal and chainsaw work are staying with us. Work had been scarce for them, so they came up here where there's plenty of demand. He also does roof repair and construction, so I don't think they'll have trouble keeping busy. His helpers are 2 females, his partner and a friend, so they thought of calling the business "Two Women and a Chainsaw", which was my favorite, LOL. But they ended up going with "Honeydoo Handyman", thinking that may get more responses.

The ice is pretty much gone this morning. It sure was beautiful with the sun shining- a diamond covered world out there!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6078164

Good morning, the ice is leaving in a hurry. Last night was a night that held many odd sounds, ice cracking, breaking, sliding, you get the idea. I have only one tree casualty. I lost about a 1/3 of the top of a magnolia. I will have to try to find out, what needs to be done. I don't know whether to trim all the damage, or just leave it alone. It is a tree about 7 feet tall, and it was bent over with the top touching the ground.

DH is still at the hospital, and called to say that DMIL was quite a hand full last night. Wish that this part of the family's life would end soon.

No church today, so gonna concentrate of making a good dinner.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6078179

Dovey --- I feel your pain about your Mom and no privacy. I have a small house. My Mom can't hear me when I talk to her, but if I am on the phone, somehow she hears every word I am saying to someone, especially if it's about her. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6078200

Yeah Neal i do hope you get your power on soon. Your one of the lucky ones . T&P to you.I like the name too.
Ric that pic is insane !!! i love photography ! You really put the clear insight on what is inside the winters slumber. People don't think to look at the little things , that gives a big picture. :) love it !!!
dovey yeah my parents are in Palo Alto and they are telling me its warm and sunny , yeah they rub it in. T&P for you and your DH.
getting taxes done today for the accountant. Got to get them in for our refi ,( if we get it . ) if we can get that 5% that would be awsome!
take care
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6078336

Goodmorning, All! Glad to hear things are improving up north! Another few weeks and this will all be nearly forgotten.

Funny how so many elders seem to have very selective hearing. Rumor has it, a lot of DHs do too! ;-)

Ric, love your photos!

♫♫♫ I FEEL GOOD! ♫♫♫ (doing my best James Brown dance...is that who sang that song? Been so long since I heard it.) Sure feels great to be almost back to normal. We went out to a local diner for dinner last nite. What a treat to leave this motel room for a couple of hours.

Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6078344

Sorry to be missing for so long. Our little GS was due for C-section at 9:30 on Friday, but an emergency C-section and then lunch put that schedule way off. He was born at 12:56. 8 pds. 1 1/2 oz., 20 inches. At first, no name. The couldn't hear his lung when they did the APGAR so took him for a chest x-ray. He had a partially collapsed lung. So what that meant was no cuddle time, no eating and straight to the NICU. Fed intraveinously, (through his head). They said it would take so much energy just to breathe that he wouldn't have the strength to suck on mom or a bottle. No holding as that would be too much for him also. They said he would probably have to stay in the hospital for a week. Mom will have to stay for 3-4 days because of the C-section. So after a very, very long day, we finally got back home for good at about 7:00. Dusty had blessed us with some lasagna and I couldn't have been more grateful for that as it was quick and delicious!

I am so happy to tell you that at his 6:00 x-ray last night, the lung was fully inflated. So he should start gaining strength now and could possibly come home with his mama. They were trying to feed him a little breast milk last night, but all he wanted to do was sleep. He has had a tough start, but last night after the x-ray, he finally got to be held for the first time. So hopefully it will all be okay from now on!

He does have a name now, It is Kyle Jacob. Here is a picture from his birthday. :o)

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6078357

Here is the afghan I made for him which I finally got to deliver to him last night.

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6078360

It's taken me a long time to catch up, but please know that I'm praying for all you with health and heat problems. Chele...please be careful!

I'm loving all the pictures, and Dovey, you make me smile...looks like a kid with your first real snow!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6078365

Beautful! Both the (((new baby))) and afghan!
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6078371

Thank You!! :-)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6078402

EXCELLENT News Joyce!

Ric and Robyn
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6078592

Wow Joyce, what a bumpy ride. I'm so glad to hear that the news turned around quickly for Baby Kyle. I wish they wouldn't worry us like that. :) How many weeks pregnant was mom?

Thank you for worrying about me. I've been behaving. I'm about to shower and run across the road to take some more doggy pics.

Talk about noises in the night...I also heard a large scraping sound followed by a boom. It was too dark to tell if one of the trees had broken but it sounded like a glacier slid off the roof. When I looked this morning, the huge icicles by the bathroom window were gone. Apparently they dropped off the gutter, hit the ground and slid across the house.

I couldn't get a good picture yesterday (cuz I was not walking UNDER the trees!) but these icicles must have had the circumference of an orange and were about 4 feet long. Those green chunks in the background are a cedar tree that should be upright!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6078601

I forgot to say Kyle looks absolutely perfect! Can't wait until you all get him home and get more pics.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6078604

Yeah Michele... It will show you what a BOY looks like ... LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6078625

LOL I've already seen the "preview".

I know they are wrong often enough but what I saw was not an umbilical cord and it was not swollen girl parts. Hubby was cracking up the minute the image popped up on the screen.

6 weeks and 4 days to go...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6078635

Joyce, what a scary beginning for little Kyle. Glad that things are looking up, and that he may get to accompany mom home. Are you close enough to get maximum grandma time? Enjoy it, they seem to grow up in such a hurry.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6079225

Woohoo, a NEW BABY! Congrats!! Sorry the little fella is having such a rough start, though. :(

We have a baby visiting here this weekend. She's the biggest 6-month old baby I've seen in a long time. Well, she's the ONLY baby I've seen in a long time, LOL. The mother is/was a high-school friend of Jessica's, and up here visiting relatives while her DH is deployed overseas.

Gotta run, it's much too pretty outside to stay in the house while the sun is shining!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6079452

Cookie so glad the news is good and his lungs are ok. :)
not much here
finished taxes
i have to see our accountant , then give them to our bank for the refi and hope they refi us !! that would be awsome. Not as awsome as a new GB but close LOLLLLL
warm today and it felt good
washed truck
lets hope it dont freeze tongiht
i think DS will be going to school tomorow . Lets hope he don't get sick again. sheesh.
I
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6079479

Well a lot of the downed limb is cut away and stacked.

We just heard another crash... then a BIG Crash...
One side of the metal garage roof dropped it's load of snow.
The other side is still hanging on...

All the ice in the trees and on the lines is gone.
I was out working in shirtsleeves... it's 45 degrees here...

Ric
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6079576

Considering the start that Kyle had, I'm glad to post this picture!

Thumbnail by joycet

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6079637

i think he is crying cuz he aint got his blankie made by his GM. :)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6079641

Joyce,
Kyle is beautiful...I bet you can't wait to snuggle that sweet little baby neck.

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6079652

It does my heart good to hear about other people and their elderly moms (parents)
Thanks for the feedback, it really did lift my spirits
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6079667

Yes...itching Nana hands here... :-)
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6079874

Dovey -- I love that poem on your blog about your Mom driving you nuts!!! I know EXACTLY what you mean. But, you know... every morning that my Mom makes it through the night is a blessing at her age. I keep remembering that when I get frustrated. When she is gone, I will be pretty much all alone. And, life will be suddenly very difficult for me in many ways. At 84, it will come all to soon.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6080101

dovey, I know it is hard to be treated like a child. Thank goodness I never had to live under the same roof, but seriously, cherish her everyday, I lost my mom 2 years ago, and I miss her daily. DH's DM is in hospice care, and when she is gone, we will both be orphans.

Ric, all the ice is gone here too. Can't believe the change in the weather, only in Kentucky!
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6080127

Kyle is a beautiful baby
I am glad is is doing ok

All of our ice on the trees is gone
yaaahhh...

This is the first year in a while that
I didn't get out to take pictures.
I guess I am too afraid of falling.
Going to enjoy Ric's pics...

~~~~to all Pauletta
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6080257

Jules,
I'm glad you can relate... living with your mom my way different than I imagined, and I thought I had a pretty good grip on reality.
Matt and I know there would be extreme changes in our life, but we were still not prepared for what it actually turned out to be.
We are talking about ways to recreate the privacy we used to enjoy, Matt and I never went out much because we would rather be home alone together. Well, it looks like getting out of the house, going to a movie or out to dinner is one solution, funny how going out into public is the only way we can figure out how to be alone.

defoecat,
It's not quite like you may think... she doesn't treat me as a child, she treats me as a servant.
After her stroke, she is the child... one that's 80, sneaks food, that will make her sick, when no one is about, expects things her way and vacillates between temper and pouting when it's not.
I love her dearly... as for cherishing the everyday battle... no. Although I do cherish the woman she once was and I do miss that woman every single day.

Dove

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6080392

my uncle , his wife has dementia (spelling ) . They were visiting my parents and they really had to have a talk with him. She gets angry and very nasty at times. She puts things away and my mom was always looking for her stuff . She doesn't leave my uncles side, she gets lost and afraid. He is still in denial ,but my mom and dad talked with him and i think he realizes he can't do it alone anymore ( he is 84 ) and may need to put her somewhere . I know its hard for us children to care for our parents , Im thankful that they have you to care for them and i know they cherish you . Oh sorry am i getting to sappy and none of my business ? sorry . I hope i m not being out of place if i m i m sorry .
Jules you'll never be alone , not with all of us here for you !!!! :)
Did i tell you my dad asked my mom "where do you want the kids to do with your ashes ? " she told him "oh just toss me in compost pile in the backyard ? !!! LOL crazy old lady that mom of mine is sheesh.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6082218

Rise & Shine, Folks!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6082271

LOL I was thinking the same thing.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6082297

Hi, Chele! How ya doing? Feeling alright? Do you about have everything you need for the new baby?

Update: I am doing so much better, improving daily, from my bout with pnuemonia. Another couple of days, I think I'll be good as new!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6082401

yeah msrobin !!! so glad your feeling better :)
guess what ... im by myself !!!!!!!!!!! no kids !!!!!!!! oh and does it feel gooooooooood.
i think i m just going to sit in the silence of my house
Chelle your kids back at school ?
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6082409

Baby wise, I'm doing fine. I think I have a sinus infection though. I'm thankful the chest congestion left but my face hurts. LOL Darn kids.

I think we are pretty well stocked for baby's arrival. I'm expecting a stroller and car seat to show up soon. :) My swing still works. Thanks to Gardenwife ,Dea and a bunch of DG members and their cybershower, I have enough clothes for the first 6 months and some clothing for 6-18 months and even a couple of 24 months I think. The Minister's wife has been giving me some from her GS as well.

We have a bouncy seat, play yard, changing table, tons of socks, plenty of hats and bibs, bottles and liners, etc. I still have not located my breast pump. Hubby stuck it in a box in the garage but WHICH box??? LOL I still need to pick up a baby monitor, diaper pail, batteries for the swing, a few pacifiers and a ton of diapers but other than that, I think we are good to go! Most of the big items are covered anyway. Some I still had and others were generously purchased for us. :)

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6082418

Morning Sue! Yes, the older 5 were sent away on the yellow submarine today! YAY!! It's just Craig, Maddie and me at home.

Maddie is still sick though. She's the creep that kept drinking out of my cup and gave me the nasties. Poor thing gets to coughing so bad she upchucks. She is no longer drinking out of my cup though! She's better for a few days then it's back. I may have to call the doctor again and see if they will call something in. She's got the green gunk too.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6082445

Austin does the same thing when he coughs .
Could it be bronchittis ? eeeww green gunk is not fun for mommys to wipe.
i have no idea what i m going to do today , ? :(
i have a ton of stuff for goodwill but their is still snow in the back of the truck. to lazy to shovel it out LOLLL i guess that is my project today ? i can't stand looking at all these boxes anymore in the basement . Drives me crazy and i don't think i can wait until spring.
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6082470

Hubby took her to the doctor Thursday a week ago, while I was across the lot at the baby doctor. They said her lungs were clear, no sign of infection of crackles. She thought it was more of an allergy thing and said to give her Zyrtec. She said drying up the sinuses would stop the dripping which would stop the coughing. She got worse after about three days then better again. Now I'm pretty sure it's a sinus infection. I'm pretty sure because that is what I think I have. LOL

I'm waiting for it to warm up too. I have a ton of clothes to take to a charity/possibly garage sale some. It's just too darn cold in the garage! Someone from freecycle offered to come take ALL of it so I had to explain that it was many 55 gallon tubs and that there was stuff in there we still want...

I need to find my breast pump and also think about bringing the Pack N Play in so I can clean it up a bit.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6082699

OK --- I am officially SICK of snow. I normally love winter, but I am really sick of seeing all this snow, having to wear boots all the time, being cold, hurting, slipping and sliding, etc. I want it to melt!!!!! but the forecast doesn't look like it will be melting soon --- grrrrr --- but at least the ice did melt off the trees and some of the snow melted a little.

Funny story... we have not been able to clean up the dog poo. Our old dog goes out on a "Flexi-leash" into our front yard to do her business. It's about 35 feet long, so for the last month or 6 weeks we have had this snow, when she goes, her poo melts the snow and sinks down in. To hard to find it to clean it up! Well, over the weekend, when it warmed up, some of it started to show. Our outside cats noticed it ---- and they were busy out there covering it all up! It was so funny!!! Cider was all over the yard, at the slightest sign of dog poo showing through the snow, she was out there covering and covering with snow!!! LOLOL We did manage to find quite a bit of it though and get it cleaned up. We are dreading when it does all melt -- it will be a mess out there --- weeks of built up poo! Cider was even trying to cover up the yellow snow spots that were starting to show through... poor cat she was really working hard out there!

Chele --- did you hear the latest on the woman that had the 8 babies last week? Sounds like she is addicted to having babies or something like that?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/01/suleman-octuplets-row

off to answer some emails...

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6082832

LOL @ the cat and dog story. My favorite is when the snow is deep and they can't squat then they look shocked when "it" touches them.

I have been following that story somewhat. A friend had told me she had read that the older 6 did have a father/fathers. As more and more of the story unravels, it seems every single one was IVF. I love kids too but 14? Unmarried? Jobless? Living at home? That is sure asking for a lot out of your family.

I feel awful, looking at the situation we are in now. Of course we didn't plan for things to go this way. We also had money in the bank, stocks, steady good income then everything fell apart. I know we made some mistakes along the way but the banks and the government really let things get out of hand! Even the cities and counties are seeing bail out money now due to foreclosures. Maybe if the taxes hadn't been so high (in some areas) in the first place, it would have been easier for people to keep their homes? About the only thing I can say in our defense is that we bought a CHEAPER house where taxes were HALF of what we were paying. We should have come out ahead...

Not that we have the resources, but I can't imagine asking either of our families to help support our kids and I can't see that they would be okay with it either.

I pray things get better in 2009!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6082869

Chele --- I didn't link that story to relate it to you honey --- only because you mentioned it or were talking about it last week! Geez, none of us had any clue the economy would be like it is. I felt bad I couldn't participate in the cybershower. Things are really tight here. I scrape together a little to help out one friend who is disabled, and I send a bit over to the troops - and that's it. My Mom and I have it pretty tight. When something happens to her, and at 84, something will - it's not like she is 40... I am just being realistic... I won't be able to stay here. I worry a lot about how I will ever get by on what I make. Now, I don't make enough to put any back, and that is NOT good. A big printing company in Columbus, the one that is my companies biggest competitor, laid off an entire shift last week. Normally our presses are booked at least 3 weeks out. My boss told me last week we are only booked 4 days out. So far, we are ok --- but believe me, it is on my mind. If I lost the job I have, I am not sure I could get another one - I can't stand, can't lift anything, am very limited in what I can do. I can do the job I have - but I think I would have to try for disability. That would be a LOT less money, and we could not get by on that. So, with one swipe of my bosses pen - I could be in your shoes... just not with children. I don't see it turning around anytime soon. Things like this just don't happen fast. I am trying VERY hard at my work to be a worker that they rely on, makes no mistakes etc... but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't cut me.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6082947

I didn't think you were pointing a finger. :) It's just one of those things I guess I feel guilty about that obviously doesn't phase others. It's just hard to be on the "taking" end when you are used to being on the "giving" end.

My heart ached for you a couple of years ago when you said you were going to have to downsize your plants and gardens. I SO wished I was in a position to help you. First, because we still haven't met and second, I love hard work outdoors. :)

I hope you'll be able to keep your job and your mom for many more years. Whoever said "It's a cold, cruel world out there!" wasn't lying!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6082958

Good morning folks.
Girls...I'm with you. It could happen to ANY of us! Say for instance...Chrysler went under. Yeah..I know our retirement is supposed to be guaranteed...but what IF the government goes broke??? I mean...it's REALLY scary for everyone out there!!
And I feel for those of you that have children at home. Of course...MY children may have to come home if they lose their jobs...and homes! We never know!
On the brighter side, we have sunshine! BUTTTTTT...I bet the groundhog saw his shadow! 6 more weeks of winter! Hahaha...it will be anyway!!
Well...we have 'errands' to run...as my SIL says. So I better get with it here! Have a great day all.
Ohhhhhh...forgot to say...what a sweet baby Joyce! Glad he's ok!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6083000

Hugs and prayers to all out there who are in the financial straights. I've been there and done that , and hope to avoid it in the future. Locally, most all of our manufacturing jobs are tied to the automobile industry and are laying off hundreds and are down to working the rest 3 - 4 days a week.I have two unmarried nieces who are taking caring care of their elderly father and both had 14 yrs on the job, one at Sylvania and one at Aisin and both were "down-sized" last friday. My son in law is only working three days a week . It will probably get worse around here for a while. I don't think any politician can wave a magic wand and make it better. This round of lay offs will cause another round of foreclosures and round and round it goes. I told Sen. Byah when he was in town last, that if they funded Medicare temporarily for three years for anyone 62 to 65 yrs old, that a lot of older workers would like to get out of the work force, but have to stay because of insurance coverage. This would creat job openings in all sectors, not just infrastructure building. His aide laughed at me. After the meeting, several people in attendance said they'd retire if they could be covered by Medicare. I know if there are that many folks in our small town willing to retire, I can only imagine what it would be nation wide. But, Washington has never listened to the people, why should they now? Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox and be quite again. Lurker Lou

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 11:47 AM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6083032

I'm chiming in on the economic situation. I think we will be okay, it may get tighter, but we both have retirement incomes that are based on the stock market. My retirement especially is heavily invested in stocks, and with the market like it is, who knows when the trickle down economics will trickle down to the average joes. This economic situation will be with us for a long time. They can talk economic stimulus all they want, but $500, per person, or $1,000 per couple is not gonna make much difference. In stead of paying on the bills, or buying something, is not gonna happen. It will just give some more paid days of ordinary living.

I am doing some paperwork today. Need to tackle the tax documents and get all that ready to file, and may talk myself into it today, or in the next couple of days. I like to do that when the DH isn't here to help me. I do better doing it alone.

Marcy, sun is out here too, so no matter the groundhogs shadow, we are gonna have 6 more weeks of winter!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6083052

I see this conversation brought you lurkers out. LOL Nice to see both of you!

It's my opinion we should stop bailing out big banks and big businesses and start helping the little guys but since I'm the little guy, I don't guess my opinion counts. :)

Darn that Puxatawney Phil! He DID see his shadow.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6083056

Bonnie...I know what you mean about doing the paperwork ALONE! LOL! Much easier that way ...and you can concentrate better!
Hi Lou!! No...I agree...don't think things are gonna be better for quite a while!
Ok...off here to get some lunch going...and ready to go!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6083069

Lou, good point about Medicare coverage. I have friends who have always paid their own health insurance,because they own their own business, and one lady who has lots of medical issues just cancelled her insurance, because she wasn't able to pay the premiums. I wonder what that means in terms of her getting care.

Although, and excuse me Lou, if I push you off the soap box, dang it, my SIL fell and broke her arm on Friday, and when she got to the emergency room, the waiting room was full of Mexicans. Most probably here illegally. Some had been there since early morning and this was late afternoon. So she went to the Urgent Treatment Center, was seen immediately, her arm put in a sling, an an appointment to see the orthoepadest next day.

This hospital is on the verge of closing, because they cannot refuse treatment, and the alien population has no health insurance, and what ever treatment they receive the hospital is having to take a loss on those patients. Besides taking jobs from local people.

I am not against immigration, but if they want to come here bad enough, let them go through the legal process, instead of finding a hole in the border and sneaking in.

Okay, stepping down now, anybody want this soap box next?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6083074

Whoops! Nice to see all three of you!

The sun is shining here too. Hubby had to run down and man the stove shop for a bit. My poor neighbor tore the muffler off both his truck and van with the ice and snow.

I got to play with more puppies though! This time it was two little leftover French Bulldogs.

This is the brindle pup.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6083083

No soap for me thank you. I only know enough to be dangerous or talk myself into a corner. LOL

Here is the fawn puppy.

Thumbnail by Badseed

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6083091

Chele, quietly sneak that little Frenchie out, and send her/him to me. I have been wanting one for oh so long. What price does your neighbor sell them for?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6083099

Ask him if he would trade one Frenchie for 6 Jackabees!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6083107

I don't remember what breed this one is but his face cracks me up. I've been calling him Hitler because of the little black mark under his nose.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6083126

LOL Bonnie! If I offered Charlie one more dog, he'd probably kill me! His roommate is already having fits! Right now he has the 8 puppies and their mom (who is due to go home soon), his big stud Jagger, a mini Chihuahua and as of yesterday, the 2 Frenches, in his spare bedroom. The Frenches are going back to his other house and he has another mom to bring to the spare bedroom as she is due soon.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6083145

This is an older pic of Jagger (English Bulldog) and one of his puppies. Jagger is a big, jealous ox! Every time I go over there, I have to sit on the floor and scratch his butt. He'll stand there forever for a good scratch. He also shoves his way between me and any other critter I try to see.

Thumbnail by Badseed

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6083207

I've always loved the Frenchies too Bonnie.
After Wu it's a Frenchie or a Smoothcoat Collie.
Great shots Chelle!
Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6083297

It's a fun "job". Sometimes they cooperate and sometimes not. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6083309

Chele said [No soap for me thank you. I only know enough to be dangerous or talk myself into a corner. LOL] TOO FUNNY! Glad you got most of the big stuff you need already. I'm so sorry I forgot about the cybershower. I understand about how you feel a little quilty about your situation. But who ever thinks of those kinds of things happening? My heart goes out for all of you that have had job cuts, or had to miss work because of illness or injury, or (gasp) be stuck at home with kids, when schools are closed. It's tough enough to feed a family on a normal basis, but like with the power outage and can't get to a real store and have to buy everything form a conveinence store, well, that'd be enough to put a lot of families over the financial edge!

Regarding the economy and the stimulas packages...they need to put a mom and homemaker in charge who KNOWS how to make ends meets!

There are so many of you folks that I just adore and if I had the money to set up a bunch of cabins on our place for you to come live, I sure would. The DG Commune! We'd have the best looking Bontanical Garden in the world! :o Guess I could just buy some old mobile homes. I'm already been informed by an old guy back home that he didn't know we had a "trailer park" on our hill! (an old mobile home and an old camper) I kind of took at offence at that statement! LOL!

Well, time for me to get back to my errands and shopping... I'm FREE! Not grounded to the motel room anymore! YEAH!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6083369

Lou, supplying Medicare coverage to the 62-65+ crowd, as you suggested, sounds like a wonderful idea. Good thinking!

Bonnie, any economic stimulus for the average Joe will come as a tax break on your income tax, not cash in hand. That will leave out a whole lot of people (like me) who do not pay income tax on our social security checks. (We already paid income tax on that money when we earned it.)

Well, after a lovely day in the mid-50's yesterday, winter is moving back in. The high here Wednesday is forecast to be only 25║ and I'm usually several degrees warmer than most of you guys. I'm glad I brought in a bunch of firewood yesterday, but will bring in more today before the rain/snow starts this afternoon. A lot of my firewood got wet by blowing rain/snow and needs some drying out inside.

As I'm working on my genealogy, I'm learning a LOT about the location of Ohio Counties. However, I have no idea which towns y'all list as home are in which counties! I'm getting into the KY data some, mostly bordering the Ohio River. Hard to imagine Ohio and KY used to only have 3-5 counties each, and that some of it was one time part of Connecticut!

Off to do some chores...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6083448

My property is in two counties Darius! The Highland County and Clinton County line cuts down my property. If you look at a county map, we live in the little nipple where the two run together. Ric is Hamilton County. I think Melissa is Brown County.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6083458

Thanks... I'm making notes on my map!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6083464

Darnit! Robin, I meant to say, no worries about the cybershower. I've been blessed and gifted more than my share and more than I ever expected. I know what tough times so many are having. I'm just glad someone else had the wonderful and generous idea or my son would be wearing pink hand me downs. LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6083479

I don't know what map you have but this is a good one. http://www.com.ohio.gov/SaveTheDream/ResourcesLocal.aspx

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6083490

Chele, I didn't participate either in your cybershower, but not for lack of wanting to... This area seems to be a baby factory and there's a lot of baby stuff in great condition on Freecycle. It's the postage that's hard for me...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6083496

Don't worry about it silly! I still owe you plants. :) You helped us before and in many ways you probably didn't realize.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6083510

Chele, that's like one of my up-to-date Ohio maps. The other one is in color. And one showing early major waterways. I also have a series that overlay, showing how the county lines changed from 1792, 1797, 1799, 1801, 1803, 1806, 1808, 1810, 1812, 1814, 1816...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6083524

How cool! It's fun to look at older maps, especially ones for this area. My driveway was an old township road at some point. LOL There is no hope for digging/planting ANYTHING down that line unless you like digging in feet of buried gravel!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6083593

Defoe i have to disagree with you. No one knows if they are illegal ? they are migrant laborers who could be on a work visa. ? No they can't afford health insurance and go to the ER.
when i took Austin to the hospital i went the wrong way and ended up in the ER. I stood in line to ask directions to the Radiology and the young white man in front of me had... Pink eye ? what was he doing in the ER for pink eye ? he had no insurance either. So we (our taxes ) just pd for his pink eye ! A over the counter medicine would fix that . Oh well.
Funny with T and his travels he has never had trouble getting help or asking for assistance . China is very friendly and always helpful.
But you come to the USA , what do we do to people who are ethnic or can't speak english ? we judge them. ? and tell them to speak english ? and make them feel unwelcomed to this great nation or ours. why ?
Love thy neighbor :)
ok you all can push me of my soap box and i took a chance at my thoughts here. Dont mean to offend but its just a humble opinion :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6083665

Sue, I don't conside my self predijuced at all. When the migrants first started to come here to help in the tobacco, it was with the assistance of the Farm agencies, and through the college of Agriculture at UK. They had to have visas then. But so many came and found work, and then the next year brought along buddies,who didn't go through the system that was set up to handle the migrant workers, and now, officials in a tricounty area here, estimate that as many as 90% are illegal. The INS regularly run investigations, and they rounded up 80 something from a factory that were illegals. Now I blame the factory for not requiring the proper documentation. But they have come and taken manufacturing jobs from our citizens, and goll durn it it just ain't rite.

And on the other hand about the language, if they plan to make their home here, then they do need to learn how to communicate in ENGLISH. Why do we need to foot the bill to change our schools and our government offices and hire translators for their benefit. I agree if you visit another country that is a different story, no need to learn anything more than the rudimentary phrases, but if you are gonna live here, you learn our customs and speak our language.

Sorry, if that is harsh, but when in Rome, etc etc.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6083709

well we can agree to disagree :)
i hope you didn't think i was calling you predijuce. That was not my intent. Believe me . :)
Yes i lived in Az and its very hard to know who is legal and illegal. It is a hard state to live in . THey do take advantage of the USA . IT sure makes my blood boil too at times. When i see people taking advantage of our generosity. Just ain't right .
Yes learning a language is helpful but its takes time to learn to speak a different language . English is a very hard one to learn.
Friends ?
hugs
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6083746

Hey, I didn't take offense at anything you said. Everybody has opinions, and you are entitled to yours. But seeing friends lose jobs to them, and then finding out later that they were here illegally anyway, just makes me fighting mad.

I would think, if I was in another country, it would be to my advantage to learn the language. JMHO
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6084065

Well the storm we were supposed to get today and tomorrow fizzled out for us a few days ago. Unfortunately they've updated and it looks like those of you in S. IN and N. KY are going to get another blast. Sorry guys!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6084238

Good afternoon!

Chele, I've decided having money and not being able to get to it is worse (at least for right here, right now) than not haven't it, cuz at least you don't have any expectations of getting it then. Electric still down in the town our bank is. I used the checkcard this morning to buy a carton of cigarettes, and to order flowers for my stepdaughters grave. It will not go through on ATM, motel or Walmart! After many attempts to get through to the bank and finally making a connection, I was told no time frame for when to expect the electricity back on. UGH!

Bonnie and Sue...I'd like to add my 2 cents worth...I understand Bonnie's feelings and I feel like that most of the time too, especially when US citzens can't get the jobs, care or support they need. However, when I worked in NC on a construction site and I got to know some of these guys who could speak very little English, I understand why they come to the US. It takes them 10-12 weeks to earn in Mexico what they can earn here in one week. They are just trying to provide for their familes. I do feel that they should go through the proper channels to get here and that they need to learn English in a hurry. My DH's main concern is when they come on these construction jobs, that there are words or phrases that are used that just do not translate to Spanish, which can put a lot of people in danger, including themselves.

So, it was nice that you two agreed to disagree! If everyone felt exactly the way, life would be kind of boring, don't cha think? (LUV ya both)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6084316

Robin, that really stinks! How can they just hold your money hostage? Is this just a little town bank and not one with branches in other states or counties that might not be affected? If nothing else, you'd think they could wire you some money or something, maybe even call the motel and tell them you really do have money. Can you pay the motel bill in cartons of cigarettes? LOL

How quickly can you set up an account at a local bank? Then you could just transfer what you want to your other bank or vice versa. Or set it up where one check a month goes to the local bank so you don't find yourself stuck again.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6084343

I agree Michele... she can open an account at a new bank with a check drawn her old bank...and I would have the employer change the deposits to the new bank ASAP...Being at home and having that happen is bad enough but out of town and hostage by a Motel??? YIKES!!!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6084498

Well, if the bank is not operating and can't say whether or not she has money, they can't bounce a check either. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6084504

Chele, I know smoking is really bad for me, but any cigarettes I do get my hands on will NOT be given away! LOL! It's a small town single branch bank. I finally was able to get a call into them today. They have no electricity so they can't access account info on the computer, but they are keeping a drive-thru open for customers to come by and cash a check. (It's only a 9 hour drive, maybe I'll do that tomorrow! LOL!) Seriously, we are okay, there are a couple of very good friends here that have already loaned us cash and will continue to for as long as we need. It's just I'm feeling so much better and wanted to do some shopping, etc. Had $150 worth of stuff in the Walmart cart and my card was declined. Quite embarrassing! I finally got through to the bank VP while I was still standing there and she says"I'm so sorry".

But you all had a great idea. We keep a little money in Bank of America but don't use that account much because there's no branches in KY and I just located one an hour away. I could drivr there tomorrow and deposit a check off of our other account back home. Would probably still take a couple of days, but probably quicker than getting the bank's electric back on.

And thanks, I feel better about it now. Well, at least I don't feel like drinking Al's last 2 beers! LOL!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6084552

Drink the beers, smoke the cigarettes and hope that tomorrow is a better day. LOL Thank goodness you can still buy those-the true necessities if you want to stay sane. :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6084867

Hi Guys... I just barely got 2 wheelbarrows full of firewood brought inside when the weather broke loose. We are having a winter storm! Hard to believe we have snow cover now when I was working outside in a long-sleeved shirt in the sun yesterday.

I have mixed emotions about the illegal alien situation. I feel for the poor folks who have to sneak across the borders to find work to feed their families, here or back home. I also feel we should not give them benefits our own Poor do not get. I get really upset at how little we (as a nation) do to take care of our own poor... and homeless.

The language thing is a different matter altogether. I hate all the phone calls I make that are answered with "Press 1 for English". I believe no child should be brought up in a household with parents that forget to teach him/her their native tongue as a second language. BUT, English is the language of this land and should be required for general use. Many of our own forefathers, and all early immigrants, managed to find and take English-speaking classes at night. It could not have been easy for a language like Chinese, where even the alphabet looked different... but they, too, managed.

Okay, off my soapbox! :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6084885

msrobin i m so glad your feeling better :)
don't banks have a emergency generator ? !!! i still have mad money in my small jar on the kitchen counter. LOLLL
have you seen google oceans ? ! looks really cool !!! you can see under the sea. and a fish gps you can follow a pattern a shark . Neat
spent the day paying bills . with some left over for beer yeah beer !
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6085736

Robin you need to open a Paypal account ASAP.
There is no local branch. They are international.
Plus their Mutual Funds compound daily.
So no 30/60/90 day fund tie ups.
You can access them from anywhere.
Now they have a business card Debit or Credit that tracks your gas etc for tax purposes.
But still draws from your main account.

Ric
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6085763

How frustrating with the money situation, MsRobin! Hope it all gets fixed soon.
Michele, those pups are adorable! And you get on the floor with them? You must be pretty limber still !
Did you know that baby butt cream works great on a sore nose? I've had a lousy cold the past three days, and I remembered how fast it healed sore red baby bottoms, so...LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6085832

Sue, I can only guess our bank does not have a backup generator. I did get to thinking while ago though, that the payment I made on our credit card online Friday was approved. So, I'm going to see if I can pay the balance tonite online and if it goes through, then we've got that whole card balance to use. It's just frustrating to know we have the money and can't get to it, and aggravating because sometimes the card would go through and sometimes wouldn't. And then you get "the look" if it doesn't. Makes a person feel an 1" tall! But on the flip side, we don't have heat or water available at home, so all in all...I'd rather deal with this. I feel bad for kind of whining about this, when there's so many that are still doing without heat and electricity back there.

BTW, I decided to be nice and saved the beer for Al.

Darius, so glad you got lots of wood in before the snow hit. Be careful and stay warm.

Goodnite, All! Stay safe and warm!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6085876

yeah i know that look all to well. uhg.
don't worry about whining , its a tough time for you being sick and all. Its not easy to leave the comforts of home and to adjust to a new home . Been there done that . LOLLLL
good night

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6085936

Robin, not a problem, if it is a concern to you, you have friends here that are willing to listen to your woes.

Ric does have a good idea about paypal. I use it, and it has always been reliable, and available. Look into it.

Darius sorry about your snow. This is the storm that missed me, but the weather liars are saying another storm will be moving through here tonight and tomorrow, so prepare for the remnants of my storm to reach you on Wednesday. I got the ice, you get the snow.

You all probably know this, but critterologist had an article today about sowing columbine directly into the garden, the same as poppies. So tomorrow, I will go out and sow some columbine seed in my daylilies, and iris for some added color, after those have finished blooming.

See old dogs do learn new tricks.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6086037

I sowed my poppy seed today...on the snow! DH thought I was crazy!! What does he know???? Thanks Neal!!!
We may get a few snow 'showers'...hmmm...wonder how many inches that is???????
Night all!!

Edited because I can't spell sowed...lol!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 10:52 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6086081

How do you use PayPal other than online? (If you don't have their debit card)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6086778

snow maybe today
showered today and wow did i yank a muscle out of whack. !! it hurts to move my neck and my shoulders and welll just about every muscle in my back and neck area. I can type but only if i don't move
man this sucks
see msrobin i am a whiner too ! LOLLLL its all good here :) we are hear for one another.
ok got to run and convince Austin he does have school today LOL
bbl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6086785

HEY MELISSA_OH COME ON OUT AND PLAY !!!!! WE MISS YOU !!!
how is work going for you , i m guessing your busy with work.
I miss you come and play with us please (pouty face and boo boo lips )
HI GEO !!!!!!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6086819

Goodmorning, My Dear Friends!

Thanx, Sue! We all need to whine a little sometimes! Glad everyone here has broad shoulders!

I missed Ric's post about PayPal last nite...wonderful idea!. Thanks for mentioning it again, cuz I would never have thought about it. I DO have a PayPal debit card that links to both of our bank accounts. It is so nice to be able to bring a problem to the table to brainstorm for solutions! I'll definitely be funding it after Al's check is direct deposited this week.

Last nite I paid the balance online on our small "emergency" credit card that we usually only use enough to keep it active. I'll know if that worked when I submit the card for our motel bill this evening. The website indicated the payment went through, so keeping my fingers crossed. Although we do have some good friends here with us and we haved all help each other out at one time or another, I just hate that we are in this position. Our friend RJ told us that it doesn't matter if it takes months to get straightened out, he'll help any way we need.

On a much brighter note...I went to Michael's craft store this past Sunday and bought some paint supplies with birthday money. I haven't done much painting in the past couple of years, so am anxious to get back to it.

We also found a 2 bedroom mobile home five minutes from the job that we can move into about the 13th. Weekly rental ($200), furnished, including tv, cable and all utilities, yard for our dog and five minutes from the job. WhooHoo!

Hope you all have a great day!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6086857

Morning All!

Did you guys all report what county you are in for Darius? She's tracking us. LOL

Robin, I have a Paypal account and debit card too. I try to keep a little money in there for business related stuff. If I use the card and there isn't enough money, it takes it from the checking account. Of course, I usually only have money in there during the summer, when I'm making money. sigh. All my business related stuff goes through there though which allows me to track what I spend and what comes in, along with shipping charges so I don't have to go look for everything come tax time.

Is that rental $200 per week? That sounds steep. I guess if EVERYTHING is included though, it's not too bad. Five minute drive time also sounds really good! And that was very nice of you to save Al the only beer in the land.

We got a little snow last night. It came down fast and thick then ended. They are predicting 1-3 inches by midnight for both counties I live in. LOL We always laugh that the wind/storms/rain/snow know to stop exactly at the county line.

Sue, try some yoga or gentle stretching. Better yet, fill that tub and find a good jet. :)

I'm laughing at the image of Dave watching Marcy sow seeds in the snow. I know it's the right time to do it but I bet he thinks you have a serious weather deprivation issue. giggle
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6086953

Hey, Renee...good to see you girl!

Darius, Bertie, Dusty and I live in Warren.

Need to run some errands before the snow comes...it surely is beautiful this morning!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6087009

Chele, yes, that's $200 per week. We're paying $275 per week now for our motel room with kitchenette. I know it seems high, but we can claim all of it as a work related expence on our taxes. The problem with this kind of work and traveling to work out of state, if we want any semblance of a normal life, we try to find a "home" to rent. It's really difficult to find any place to rent that doesn't require a lease and a hefty deposit. We always lose our deposit if we go that route, because even a short term lease of 6 months is generally longer than what the job is, and it's such a hassel to get utilities turned on and coming up with the extra money for those deposits. Fortunately, when these construction projects get going in these small towns, a lot of local folks have the foresight to get campgrounds put together quickly and get their unused campers, rvs and old mobile homes set up quickly to rent out. I'd say about half of the construction workers we know pull their campers with them from job to job. This job is kind of small with only 300 construction workers, the bigger ones can have as many 2-3,000. I know that a lot of the locals hate having the intrusion on their quiet life, but can you imagine the boost to the local economy when these workers are spending their money on lodging, groceries, resturants, conveinence stores, laundry mats, thrift stores, etc.

Update: online payment of credit card balance last nite is still processing this morning. According to our bank's website, all but the last 2 tranactions have showed up and have been deducted from our account and we have about $700 more showing than we actually have!

So, how is everyone else on this thread that had lost power and had downed trees doing? Is it all back up and running up there? Melody has a thread on the weather forum that I'm going to check on next. There are several members that were at the KYRU that are supplying updates on their situations.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6087053

Good morning, we are having a white out here. Been snowing since about 6:30 and it is really coming down. The estimates of 3-4 inches, has been surpassed. Ugh, I want sun and warmth, and good soil to play in. I will probably lose the satellite signal, so may be MIA for awhile.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009

Post #6087068

I read Joyce's reply to quickly and thought it said "before the cows come home". ROTFLOL I've lost it.

Robin, I imagine it has to be hard to move all over like you do and also that you have it down to a science. LOL I figured you might get a deduction for it since it's not likely you can commute that far! At least it being equipped, does make it feel homey. Nothing like roughin' it!

What kind of construction does hubby do? Big equipment? Finish work? Rough framing? Roofing?

Hey! Now you have too much money? hahahaha

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009

Post #6087069

Good morning
msrobin T&P for you. I did the same thing with my Dh and kids two years ago. What was i thinking !
glad you found a place. :)
well not much here , yeah that jet tub could come in handy right now LOLLL Hmmm
was going to go to the gym but got home and ouch again . it just hurts to move ?
hmmm so its only 6 degree's here today but its sunny !!! and feels good with a mild wind .
might go for walk in the woods again for my excersise ? try not to get lost . bring compass with me this time LOLLL
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6087075

Bonnie! You already have more than 3 inches of snow??? I think it's time to get some potting soil and play plants INSIDE!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 3, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6087087

We got our power back on Friday evening. DD has a friend in Breckenridge Co. that said that all the powerlines from the substation to their farm have been snapped off. They have a confinement hog operation and were taking the tractor driven generator from barn to barn heating, watering and feeding. Then they'd grind feed and start the whole routine all over again. I'm hoping their bulk tanks were full before this started because I'm sure they're going through fuel like crazy. They're saying now that some of the really isolated folks may not get power until the end of this month or maybe even sometime next month.

DH just reported he took his first flat on his back fall for the season. We just talked last night about how none of us had fallen yet. A few near misses for me last night feeding but I managed to recover just in time. He was laughing, the Australian shepherd was all over him trying to lick his face while he was laying on the ground trying to decide if he could still breathe or not. I told him at least the pressure he was feeling on his chest wasn't from his heart! He said she needs to go on a diet...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6087107

oh Bonnie yuck more snow for you guys . T&P for you and others in KY still dealing on these weather conditions. i believe we will get more snow soon today ?
well gonna soak in a tub
shoulder killing me
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6087122

Oh man, that sounds miserable! I know we whine about having to take water to the chickens and rabbits a couple of gallons at a time. I can't imagine trying to run a real farm with the cold and snow and no electric. And it could be another month before they get electric??? That is awful.

I'm glad your husband was not hurt! But I am laughing about the dog! We have a cat that likes to sit on my belly when I'm pregnant. I have to say she is much bigger than she was last time I was pregnant. It actually hurts and I have to send her elsewhere. LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 3, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6087146

LOL! It's always a good day here when the tractor and skid loader starts and the balls on the Mirafonts don't freeze!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6087156

I'm trying to figure out how I can acknowledge that comment and NOT get in trouble. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6087201

Yeah, KY! Such good news! LOL on your dog helping your DH!

Oh, Bonnie...bummer on the snow! ;-(

Sue, don't push it too much! Need time to heal!

Chele, Al is an ironworker and does industrial construction, mostly building power plants, or demolishing and reconstructing when these facilities need major updates, working with iron beams, etc that literally weigh tons. When we bought our place in KY 7 years ago, it was with the expectation that with the 7 power plants within a 150 miles of our place, that there would be plenty of work. Most of those projects have been postponed for one reason or another, so there is little work available close to home for him. But we can almost see the light at the retirement gate...so won't be having to do this for too much longer...keeping fingers crossed!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6087266

Well, iron worker is not one I would have just pulled out of my hat. :) That is some scary, heavy work, especially for the ones that have to work up high.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for work to open close to home or for you to make enough to retire early!

I got off my lazy buns, put towels in the dryer and ran water for dishes. We only lost electric for one day and also ran out of laundry detergent. I'm trying to figure out how I now have no towels to do dishes and a major pile of laundry...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6087271

Janet my first question is what is mirafonts? Then I can go from there. If it is a human, forget it.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6087284

My google answer: http://www.miraco.com/MiraFount3330.aspx It does have balls...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009

Post #6087323

Janet -- so glad DH is ok!! I know that feeling of an Aussie on top of you trying to lick you like that! LOLOL Between the windstorm and this, you guys have not had it easy this past year! I talked to John Rice the day that ice was coming down, and they had power, but have not tried to talk to him since. Wonder if they have power? Hmm.. should probably try to get in touch.

Have any of you used Messenger? I tried it last year, and it really made a difference on my potted annuals. I have never grown geraniums like we had last year. They were spectacular, and I didn't use it as much as I should have. I did use it on the shrub roses, daylilies, phlox, bee balm, tomatoes, peonies - all my perennials -- When I had it in my sprayer, I just sprayed everything. I put my backpack sprayer on a cart now that I can't use it on my back - LOL -... anyway, this was the first year I have used it somewhat regularly. I ordered it from Eden Bio - it was pretty pricy. The year before, friends were getting rust on their daylilies from new plants they were getting in from the south, and I knew I was going to get a few in, and heard that Messenger boosts the immune system. Both friends got rust, I did not. Must work! Daylily foliage did look better than neighbors did. Mildew on bee balm and phlox was very minimal, and very late - may not have been at all if I kept up with the spraying, but I ran out of the Messenger.

Anyway, there is a co-op going for Messenger. I already ordered enough to last me for 2-3 years. The woman doing the co-op needs to order in full cases, and needs a little more than 100 more packets to fill the case - if anyone is interested. She has had so many orders put in that the price per packet is down to $1.40 for Messenger, and $2.52 for Mighty Plant. Mighty Plant is Messenger with a fertilizer. I don't get it, because I mixed in Miracle Grow when I sprayed the Messenger. I have different Miracle Grows for different plants - daylilies like Miracle grow for Lawns, I use the regular MG for all the other plants except the tomatoes - I use MG for tomatoes on them.

Messenger comes in a little packet that you mix with water, then you spray on the foliage. I think you can also do a drench with it, but I have not done that. It is a plant hormone, supposed to be completely natural.

If you are interested, might go on over to the co-op thread -- I think when I ordered from Eden Bio, I paid about 3.50 a packet, so 1.40 is pretty good price.

I always grow the geraniums for my Mom - I never liked them. I can't stand the feel of them... LOL... but they were huge blooms last year, perfect foliage, no yellowing, and they put out bloom after bloom. The only thing I did different was the Messenger. Made a believer out of me.

Ok - gotta get busy!!!

hope everyone is doing well today --- still snow on the ground up here but at least it's sunny!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6087354

Jules, I have used it for years, and DH just loves it for the veggie garden. Thanks for the heads up, will need to go place an order.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6087397

Well thanks Chele! I had no idea what it was either!! Hey everyone...good morning! The snow has already started here. 'They' are saying about an inch or 'so' here...lol. We'll see!
I feel for all you folks without power! Even with a woodstove for heat here...I don't like being without it! Everything you go to do...takes power! Guess I wouldn't have made a good pioneer woman!
I think I have to make cookies today for my cookie hound...Dave! He usually eats these store boughten cookies that have choc. chips and peanut butter in them. And now he won't eat them because of the peanut butter scare. Soooo...I told him I would make him some. What was I thinking????
He could have bought choc chip cookies! LOL!!
Darius...I am in Darke Co. here.
Don't know much else here...except I didn't sleep very good last night...and don't even know why? Might have to take a nap today sometime.
Oh..I did get a new cookbook yesterday. Our local school and school fair put it out...and I am kicking myself for not getting a recipe in it! They did send me a paper to submit recipes...but it was when I was getting ready for surgery...and it kinda slipped my mind.
Darn! It is the 75th anniversary of our school fair this year...so that's the reason for the cookbook. Looks like a lot of good recipes in it too. I think these kind of cookbooks are the best...with tried and true recipes in them! Plus...I have learned a lot about people I know around here...lol. They have little tidbits of information in this one as well!
Ok...I better get busy. Take care everyone...and have a great day!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 3, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6087420

Chele, you know what they say about if it has balls or wheels... LOL!!!

Probably 3 inches of snow on the ground now. It's slacking off a little. I sure hope we've got our quota of snow and ice this year and we can get on with things. I want to get my broccoli and cabbage plants started.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009

Post #6087435

LOL Marcy! Just buy a bag of Chips Ahoy and put peanut butter on them and make sandwich cookies. Think that would work?? Better yet, put peanut butter on the top of a cookie then dip it in chocolate. Then send me about 3 dozen!

We did have one splurge last week, planning for this week. I had hubby pick up one of those one gallon propane tanks and the Coleman attachment that lets you put a single burner on top. At least we can heat water (so the evil momster can have coffee) or the kids can eat soup or Ramen noodles or we can fry eggs without standing outside at the grill!

I've decided it's better to lose electric in the summer! We don't really use the air, do have the pool and it's much nicer if you have to cook outside. LOL

Hubby made me an invoice program a long time ago for my business. He's been rebuilding it for our neighbor so that it does inventory and invoicing. Now he's making one for me. :)

I'm still trying to talk me into doing dishes...

As far as snow, we have nothing here. Our advisories said early morning for one county and mid-morning for the other county but we've still not gotten anything.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6087440

I will not respond, I will not respond, I will not respond. LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 3, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6087500

Jules, I figure they probably kept power. Could be wrong though. Friends off Winchester Rd. didn't loose theirs and the fellow here at work that lives in Winchester kept his power. I'd say that Mort and David probably lost power for at least a while. And whether or not they can get down off their hill is probably up for grabs although since the neighbor probably has to get up there to get the cows fed the road was probably scraped...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6087951

Still without power here :-( Its extra frustrating because most homes around here are back on, just 3 places here on the farm still without. The snow is really coming down out there now, praying it doesn't slow down the progress with power too much! I've stayed relatively sane, but I feel myself wearing thin, LOL.

Waves and Hugs to all,
Neal
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6088007

Well I am debating whether or not to put peanut butter chips in the choc chip cookie dough? I am afraid he won't eat them though. He wants nothing to do with anything peanut butter right now...lol! I think the chips are alright...since I had them before Christmas. I know! I'll put the peanut butter chips in half the dough ...with some cho chips too, of course...and then I will eat that half of the cookies!!!!!! Woohooo!

Edited to say...Neal...sorry you're still without power!!! How frustratiing!!

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 12:57 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6088010

Sorry to hear that Neal. :( I know it gets old in a hurry.

The snow just started here. It's just a light flurry.

Oddly, some county trucks are going by slowly, apparently looking for downed and falling limbs. I guess they are trying to beat the snow.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6088223

Defoe --- directions on adding to the existing co-op are on the payment thead...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6088263

Dear Lord NO PEANUT BUTTER !!!!! PLEASE DON'T DO IT ! " ACK" krogers is putting out another recall . yikes. Our health food store went out of business too :(((( they had a great selection of PB.
made it from my walk out in the snow. whew what a work out too. But my thighs still rub together and this is irratating me grrrrr. can't i just suck it out with a vacum !!!!!
Neal i m so sorry to hear you don't have electric. :( i would be going stark raving mad ! you must have been a pioneer in a past life :) or amish ? lollll T&P for you .
well i have to get ready to fold laundry "plahack"
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6088291

Sue, I sure felt like a pioneer yesterday. After a week of sponge bathing I took couple of hours yesterday to heat pots of water till the bath tub was full enough. Did that ever help! So good to finally wash my hair! I know now why bathing was not a daily thing for the pioneers, LOL.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6088315

Well, we know you aren't/weren't a cowboy or you'd have showered in a barrel or a clawfoot tub if you were in a saloon. LOL
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6088402

If it was warm out I sure would! The water hose on the deck would work fine for me in summer, LOL.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6088450

LOL You know I wasn't going to let that slide. Glad you are clean now!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6088622

Still snowing here, and we have at least 10-12 inches. Geesh, did the weather liars ever miss this one.

DH just left to take his DB to the airport for his return flight to Florida. He winters there in the winter, and has been home for a week. Bet he is excited to anticipate warmer weather.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 3, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6088812

Amazing what a few miles can make. I'm figuring we only have 3-4 here in Frankfort. It's still snowing some but I'm figuring we'll see some drifting tonight. Most of the 4 lane roads are down to 2 lanes.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6088915

Some good news on my end...the town where our bank is located has power now and evrything is returning to normal! The extra $700 in our account was from DHs last unemployment check, which I put in the mail for deposit over a week ago and forgot about. Don't know about electricity at home, but no worries since we aren't there and the water company went out and shut off the water off at the meter for me. Whew! So relieved here!

Bonnie, take care!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6089085

Well according to the new footprints I just made since we got home from shopping just over an hour ago, we have 3 inches here and more coming down hard...The wind is really kicking up too but holding steady at 25*...Cookie and I got home just in time to avoid the mess...

I have a new bird at the feeder.. first time I've seen it...It is bluejay blue with black stripes on top, a silver white belly and a black and white face...
It is just a tiny bit bigger than the Titmice, and tad smaller than Fuzzy Butt Woody...It is beautiful, whatever it is, but won't hold still for a pic...Very nervous around the other birds too...

Juli...Thanks for that info on the Co-op...I ordered a few too...If it's good for my daylilies, then it's coming to my house.. LOL Especially when it's that cheap, and I have my sprayer...LOL

Neal...I feel so badly for you all with no power, but at least you did get a warm bath...I know that made you feel better...One good thing...You can sit all of your fridge stuff out on the porch and keep it just fine... LOL

Michele...You have been locked up far tooooo long...ROFLLLLLLLL

Cookie Sis took me to JoAnn fabrics today...BAD THING TO DO!!!
I got the stretcher frame for a crewel embroidery piece I am doing, BUT I found Air Dry Clay for $7.99 a box...It is good for my modeling, but is not the Paper air dry I usually use...however it will do very nicely for me to get back in practice with... ;-))
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6089103

Janet, sure is good news for the Frankfort/Lexington area. I guess we have a little isolated climate going on here. It is still snowing, and the temps dropping. Guess if the temps get low enough, it will HAVE to stop.

Neal, so sorry to hear you are still without power. That sure is a downer for sure. Hope that they get it restored in the next day or two. There is an area here in the county where I live that have people without power, and they are saying that it could be the weekend before they are able to restore it. It is an area going down to the river, and it is very wooded, and the lines going up over hills, and probably all kinds of trees on the lines.

Had steak laid out, but instead of using the grill outside, it is going under the broiler.

Dusty, is that your first trip to Joanne's? Neat place huh.

Off to finish up supper. I have been cleaning all day, and my butt is a draggin, so as soon as supper is over, I am hitting the shower, get my jammies on and collapse in my recliner and read.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6089154

Ohhh Mercy noooo Bons.. I've been to A JoAnns dozens of times, but I haven't been in maybe 4 years and this was a super store...Soooo much to want/need... LOL

Jim just asked me to reheat the Garlic stuffed pork roast and veggies for supper, so yeah buddy... that's it for me tonight...I am going to try to get the canvas stretched on the new frame and get busy on my needlework...I think I am going to like this retirement thingiie...LOL
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6089439

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy

Still here. Chele wanted you to know I haven't forgotten ya. No chance to get to the PO but will ASAP I promise!

T

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6089637

Evenin' All...

...Neal, so sorry that you having no power yet. But the warm bath sounds superb!

And, Yippee for Robin and her banking problem solved. Plus, the forgotten $700 is nice, too, I bet!

Not much going on here today, except I went out on my monthly payday shopping trip. Groceries, printer supplies, cigs for the month, and a splurge of $4.99 for a sale DVD. :) But, my ss check amount made no sense... I know what is supposed to be taken out for Medicare Parts B and D, but it's still short by about $40. Direct deposits only show the amount, so I guess I'll have to drive down to the state line to the closest SS office... yuck.

Roads (except the Interstate) are icy everywhere but we didn't get any amount of snow, just flurries all day. I tried to buy another pair of reading glasses because the ones I keep in the truck are badly scratched. The Optician didn't have any in my strength that I liked and drug stores don't carry 2.25's. At least the surgeon for my cataracts made both implant lenses (at my request) the same so I don't have to buy prescription glasses...

Off to unpack the non-perishables, might stop back by later...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6089704

Neal i bet that bath felt gooooood !!!
glad you got one in.
T has the same problem in china, no tv , and the use solar heat on the water heaters , so no sun, no hot water , and its winter over there and he gets not much sun . Sponge Bob is his name ! LOLLLL
darius bummer on the missing $ . I hope it gets worked out soon.
yeah msrobin got her banking all together and an extra $$ yeah .
Bonnie yuck on the snow, ! T&P for you ! you definetly don't need more snow . Take care . Hope DB gets to FL alright . :)
ok i can't stay long
my neck is killing me
then i hit my head on the elliptical and thought i blacked out but just had my eyes closed LOLLl duh. then i missed the last step on our stairs duh again. Knocked my knee and crushed it on the floor ouch. So all in all i m still in one piece thankfully.
tomorrow is another day of Safety Sue !
jhugs to you all
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6090198

Well my normal 20 minute drive home took 45.
There was 2" of snow and ice on 275.
I bailed out at Beechmont and drove the surface streets.
4" of snow on them by the time I reached the house.
Close to 8" out there now and Windy...

Here you go Marcy...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6090284

Woohoo Ric!! She sure looks pretty!!! Thank you! Glad you made it home safely!
We must have gotten another two inches of the white stuff today. Just to the south of us, Preble co...Eaton got 4 inches. And Centerville, Indiana got 6 inches. Really strange how it tracked this time!
Sue...girl...you are gonna have to be more careful!!!!
Waving~~~~~~~~ to everyone!!! Keep warm and safe!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6090394

DH made it home from the airport, but reported the roads snow covered and traffic down to one lane. We ate, he watched 1/2 of the Ky game, and then left to go stay with his mother When I checked at about 8pm, we had 14 inches of snow and it is still falling. The winds have kicked up, and I can only imagine what the driveway will look like in the morning. May just call and give him an abbreviated grocery list so that he can pick up what we need before he heads home in the morning. I ain't going anywhere for a few days. Not because I don't want to, but probably because I can't.

Sue, be CAREFUL, you are alone, and if you really do major damage, who is gonna take care of you?

Darius, glad that you dodged the snow bullet, and I hope you find out what is going on with the SS check. It is hard enough to make it on that, but to have it shorted by that much is a major problem.

Janet, are you home? How much did you find at your place. I am guessing that it is considerably more than what fell in Frankfort, too much hot air there for it all to stick!!

Robin, glad that you got all your banking stuff straightened out. I know that that was a major headache.

Toni, good to see you checking in. How much of this white stuff do you have?

Lights just blinked a couple of times, so may be doing this without power thing all over again. Gonna send this before it does blink and stay out.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
9:01 AM

Post #6091164

Well here it is almost 4 AM and I'm awake... slept through the last 15 minutes of some show before midnight, then awakened, and then finally shut off the TV and light at 2 AM, and have just been tossing and turning. Got up in desperation, I guess. It looks like it has been snowing but I didn't turn on any outside lights to see how much. Doesn't matter since I can't do anything about it anyway. It's 5║ or so... but I have a warm toasty fire going. Guess I'll go back to it, and turn on the tv... maybe something will put me to sleep!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 4, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6091566

Our trip home yesterday afternoon only took 15 minutes more than usual. The roads were snow covered but not bad and everyone actually drove like they had some sense. I figure that we didn't get over 4-5 inches total. Certainly nothing like Bonnie got.

DS decided last week that he needed to go to Cleveland with one of his friends since they closed down the dorms at Berea. I'm not sure what his thinking was there, looks to me like it would have been smarter to find someone that lived in FL and go that direction but anyway, he headed out from there around 2:00 yesterday afternoon and finally drug himself and a friend in around 11:00. They were on their own when they got there cause I was in bed and wasn't getting out! DH is a bit irritated with DS for not coming in and helping out while the power was down so there's a few sparks in the air this morning.

Darius, can you call the SSA toll free line and get any info without having to go to the FO? That number is 1-800 -772-1213. You might give it a try and see if they can save you a trip. SSA and payments are horribly confusing to me. I'm glad that I'm only responsible for the disability decisions.

Twas 5 degrees this morning. Hard to believe it will be 50 by Sunday.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6091698

Goodmorning, My Friends! Just popping in to say I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm off to buy supplies...whoohoo, we can access our bank account now! I was able to get cash from an ATM last night, and still used my checkcard to pay for Sonic for dinner, gas at Exon and Dollar General for coffee supplies just because I COULD!

Take care everyone!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6091720

I typed a reply and the computer ate it so I'm pouting. LOL

The kids are home from school again today.

I need to go take a picture of another doggy today, this time a bred mommy.

The kids are about to pull a job from the mean mommy list. :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6091909

Good Morning all...Dayton says its 7* but Franklin says its 10*...either way it's bloomin cold, and not supposed to get much warmer than the teens today...Yech!!

I need to go out in the garage and mix my birdseed mixture up..These Gracks have got the feeder down halfway from when I filled it last night, and the bucket is empty...I am not looking forward to frozen hands but I can't mix it with gloves on...LOL

So glad you got your banking done Robin...It would have been bad enough being at home, and not being able to get to it, but out of town had to be awful...

What mean Mom stuff are you up to Michele?? LOL

Darius, I handled every bit of my SS stuff online and over the phone...I have yet to step foot in an SS office...My account was transferred from Springfield to Hamilton down by Cincy, as soon as I put in my change of address...It was Hamilton that called me to tell me about the correction in my benefits...

Bons, do you still have power down there?? Was DH able to get back home this morning??

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009

Post #6091977

Dusty ---- so, did I read correctly --- you are now retired and no longer driving the wheelie?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6092009

Well it looks that way...I have no way to get there without a vehicle, and he decided that since people were abusing the privilege, No one is allowed to take any home anymore...sooooo...I was off all last week, and so far this week...
Jim and I discussed it, and with the increase I am getting in my SS, that if I budget carefully, I can stay home...If I want extras, then I will have to get something at least part time...so there it is...

I was just thing about you Juli...Worried you had road probs yesterday since we didn't hear from you ...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6092070

Good morning all.
Dusty, what happened to your car????? I must have missed that?
It's cold here too...not sure what...but was only 4 degrees when we got up. Our schools were on a 2 hr delay...long enough for the snow plows to go through.
If this keeps up...the kids will be going all summer!
Nothing going on here today...just cleaning and cooking.
I need to get ahold of DS to find out why my pc keeps going offline. It never did before the crash?
Robin...glad you are able to access your funds now! That had to be frustrating for sure!
Chele...I'll be thinking about your sanity...lol!!!
Ok...have a great day everyone!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6092284

Dusty, were you just forced into retirement??? Can you draw unemployment now? LOL

Mean mom stuff...I cut up a piece of paper, wrote a job on each one and made the kids pick. The pantry shelf is now organized, both lazy Susan cabinets are cleaned and organized, the hall/entry closet has been cleaned out and the table and benches have been scrubbed. Once I drag the eldest out of bed, the fridge will be cleaned. Hubby opted to take a job so the laundry is sorted and started.

What did I do? Working on another website for my neighbor. :) It's just fluff for now, but it's started! http://www.backintimestoves.com/ATV/atv.html
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6092286

We didn't get any snow or anything yesterday. Yeah!

Anyone see Gardenwife lately? Kimberley - are you ok?

Dusty - your new blue bird -- you have me curious on that. I cannot come up with anything that fits. There is the Cerulean Warbler, but they should be in South America now. The white breasted Nuthatch fits the markings, and they are sort of blueish gray in the right light, but not bluejay blue. You really have me stumped. We have a great bird book, put out by The Audobon Society - Field Guide to North American Birds. It has actual photos instead of drawings. Love it. It dosen't show anything that would fit you description for that size.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6092362

Good morning. I still have power, although some folks in the neighborhood don't. A neighbor called me last night about 9:45 and they had just lost power, and wanted to know if we still had power. Another neighbor called me this morning, and she is without power, so once again, we were lucky in that area.

However, we really have the snow. DH left about 8 last night, and he said the roads were horrible, but when he came home this morning, he said the roads were in good shape. His DM kept him up most of the night, and he would no sooner get laid down, till she was hollering for him to do something else. Finally about 6am, I think he lost it partially, and told her that he had done all that he could to make her comfortable, and she could just holler until she wore herself out. He thinks the problem is that she is sleeping too much during the day, and is therefore not able to sleep, and very active during the night. He said that she kept talking loud for about 5 minutes, then she went to sleep, and was sleeping when he left.

The something that I pulled in my back is still causing me some discomfort, so am taking it easy today. The laundry is all caught up, and the cleaning is done. I could find something to do, but since the visible parts of the house pass inspection, won't dig into the closets or drawers.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6092529

Sue, send me your email address, I have some interesting statistics on the costs of illegal aliens in this country. An eye opener for sure. If anybody else is interested, dmail me your email address, and I will forward it. All verified facts, no bunk about any of them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6092609

Kydaylilylady, thanks for the number. I'm on hold with them right now... Our roads are a BIG mess so I hope I can get answers by telephone!... Well, after 15 minutes I finally got a real person, and an answer. They had doubled up my Medicare part B deduction since they didn't deduct it in January, and the monthly premium is less than I thought it was anyway. So it will be back to normal in March. You'd think they could have notified me.

It's still snowing but not too hard. My neighbor just called and he said the temp. forecast for tonight with wind chill is 15║ below zero. Brrrrr...

Here's a link to keep handy. Changes every week.
Weekly US Map Influenza Summary Update
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 4, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6092696

Well, we're not going there on the notification part. The SSA program is a huge ball of thread and just looking at it from the disability standpoint it's a wonder they accomplish anything. There are so many rules and regulations and programs besides the retirement. At one point I thought I wouldn't mind being a claims rep but over the years having talked to so many claims and service reps about various problems with claims I've determined that I'll stay with the disability program and leave the rest of the program to them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6092743

ok had a busy morning
kids to school
elliptical ( didn't hit head )
breakfast
grocery
donations to Salavation Army
yeah it was cold !!! 8 today and not including wind chill
still have garbage to take out
you have dmail Bonnie
well got to get kids and get them a hair cut today finaly
take care and have a good day
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6092782

Thanks everyone for all the support and suggestions regarding our bank situation. Everything is working great now and I even bought some more paint supplies at Hobby Lobby this morning. Now I've got plenty to work with to pass the days.

Dusty, I really think after you get used to being home all the time, you will be grateful they let you go. It might have hurt your feelings a bit, the way it came about, but they were fools to let you go with as good as you are to the clients and as dependable as you were. Kind of reading between the lines, but I saw "down-sizing" in that action. Good thing you got the SS going when you did!

Bonnie, (((hugs))) you and DH have your hands full between the weather and Mama! Take care of that back!

Sue, are you okay?

Chele, so are you starting a business setting up websites? You have mention doing the websites before, just didn't know if it's the start of Chele's Websites. See the note below to Marcy regarding IE. I finally got smart and started "highlighting and copying" the posts that I type before sending, so if it does disappear, I can just past the message into a new post. You know the old saying..neccessity is the mother of invention!

Toni, are you feling better?

Marcy, good luck on the computer issues! I stopped and talked to a computer service guy down here and will be taking mine in to get checked out. Do you use Internet Explorer? I have the same issues with mine, between it and problems with my Cingular air card, I'm a basket case sometimes. Dave had a forum going a few weeks ago about all the problems with IE.

Hope everyone is good, as well!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6092809

yes my shoulder is ok today, just stiff. :) i lived to see another day LOLLLL
so far no falls ( knock on wood )
I told T about it and he just laughed ? ! sheesh.
he is in Hong Kong at eh moment for a few days to get his visa work card.
so i m off to get a hot cup of lemon tea
anyone interested in mints this spring ?
i was going to get some from Richters i really like his mints
http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=home.html&cart_id=7596152.25123
its cheaper to get a large amount than a small one .
LMK :)
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6093152

Robin...They did not let me go...I am still currently employed but off due to lack of transportation to get to the yard in Moraine...As long as I could use the company vehicle to come home it was fine, as I put fuel in it at my own expense, however there were those abusing the privilege of our gas cards and it got shut off for everyone...
They are far from down sizing there...They just hired 3 new drivers to help cover the case loads, and do the weekend runs that now consist of taking patients to church etc...
I am deciding on whether or not I choose to go back to work when I get my car back in another week or so...If I can swing staying home on our fixed income, then that is what I plan to do...I had already cut back to a 4 day work week by my own choice...

I have an SUV sitting in the backyard that needs an engine Marcy...I am in the process of getting a small car to do my running...But 3 moves since June has put a serious crimp in my finances, and being off for most of 3 weeks at Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years did not help it a bit...
I haven't said anything about it here, because there was no point in it...
If boss had let me have the company vehicle for the past 2 weeks, I would have my car by the end of this week...but he didn't, so I do without for another few days...It is what it is...
Just like with Michele...cwap happens that you have no control over, you are in a pickle and at the mercy of others, but there is not a darn thing you can do about it...
Being here, with Cookie graciously getting me to the grocery and bank, has been a blessing for which Jim and I both are deeply grateful...
Our house is paid, our utilities are paid, we have heat, and power and food, so we are fine...

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6093870

Everything happens for a reason,,,except for stupid speeding tickets...
:O(
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6093885

Oakwood huh????
They are on a budget crunch...
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6093922

Yep...and I was coming down a hill!!!! Meanies...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6093948

Sorry babe...They got me last year...$118...first ticket in 32 yrs...I was majorly torqued...
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6093952

Well, this one will be $110, but if I'd had a ticket in the last 12 months, it said to add an extra $50 to it! I haven't had one in 3 or 4 years...didn't want this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6093998

Oakwood is well known for their speed traps! I worked in Oakwood for years for a well known eye dr. Dave worked there is our early years of marriage too...at Dorothy Lane Mkt. You gals gotta be careful there!!
Sorry to hear about your SUV Dusty!
Well..we had a new kind of soup for supper. Curried chicken soup. I got the recipe from the internet...and it sure was good!! Really different! I love the taste of curry, so had to try it. Dave liked it too. Anyone wants the recipe...I'll be glad to share.

Edited to say Preble Co. is another place bad for speeding tickets!

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 6:36 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6094108

ROFLLLLLLLLL NOW I know why Bons takes naps...This retirement stuff will wear ya out...I need a nap now...Good thing the Chili is done...
Maybe I will cook some pasta, grate some Romano and call it done... Yeah...I think so...

I got a ton of stuff done today...not much that can be seen, but it's done...The last of my clothes from the guest closet are now packed up and in the Vets bags...That was a heart breaker...but I know I will never wear them again...Still classic suits, silk blouses etc...
The living room is finally empty of it all, and it is ready to go out the door to the VA...

I am rearranging wall hangings in my head and moving them around to the rooms...I am going to begin painting in the next week...Time to do it before the dirt under the fingernails season gets here...I have the paint, no reason not to get at it...
I finally feel some sense of organization, albiet my poor house looks like a war zone at the moment, but that's okay...I have survived them before...LOL
By planting time, I will be a lady of leisure and ready to tackle a few mounds of dirt!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6094295

Hey all
not much to add here
ate dinner , made chilli.
ummm Cookie i m so sorry about your ticket. :(
kids are fine
I have a rash, butt am not going to tell you wear it is ,butt i can tell you its not fun, butt i can tell you its itchy. :P
ttyl
sue
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6094346

God Sue, I hope It's not on your butt!! LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6094425

ROFL, what a PITA that must be!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6094492

how did you ever guess ? !!! i don't think i gave any hints ? butt on the other hand. ?
you ain't kidding KY . a very big PITA
giggle
im off to bed
Geo are you drinking wine ? drink one for me ok
i could sure use it
nighty night
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6094495

Finally a drive home w/o drama... roads were High and Dry!
So barring a major snafu the drive in should be OK.

I decided to take Friday off.
So I'll be doing a 3 day weekend.
Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get that branch finished up.

Plus the new parts for Robyn's (formally my) computer came in today.
I love Newegg... ordered a PSU, some more Ram and a wireless keyboard and mouse... on Sunday night.
It arrived today from CA. $6.95 shipping... gotta love it!
I had the puter special made about 5 years ago at Polywell.
State of the art... well the art changed... LOL!
Replaced the Hard Drive 2 years ago for more storage.
So w/ these improvements and her new LCD screen she's good for a few years I hope.

Robin glad everythings working out on the Banking front!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6094756

Dusty, retirement can kill you if you don't manage it properly. When I first retired, I was rushing around like a mad woman, and working HARD for 8 hours a day. After a week of that, I sat myself down, and we had a talk. I decided that I would make a list of things that needed to be done, and if the only chore was laundry, I could consider it a day, when the laundry was done.

Oh, Joyce that is too bad about the speeding ticket. Sure hope I don't jinx myself in commiserating with you abou the subject.

Sue sorry about your rash, and I don't have a clue about where it is, if you could be a little more specific about it!!

Robin glad the cash flow is flowing again!!

Off to read my email, and then I am going to try to get out tomorrow and go to the grocery. We only have 1 roll of TP in the house and DGD is coming this weekend. This is an almost emergency situation!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #6094935

Sue, try Desitin ointment or any zinc oxide based baby butt cream...works on sore noses, too. :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6095102

Hey, guys. I'm okay, just have not been online a lot the last couple days. Monday I worked 8 1/2 hours and was pooped when I got home. Yesterday I pretty much slept and stayed off my feet. Do you ever have those days after a really physical day? I could not keep my eyes open for the life of me! I did go visit my mom for a few hours last night. Today I've been catching up at DG a little at a time and finally finished catching up on the thread here. Whew!

Monday afternoon, my surgeon's office called and said he wanted me to set up an appointment. Well, when I called yesterday, they got me right in today. When poor, overbooked Dr. J came in the exam room, he said he didn't want them to schedule me so quickly! They must have gotten notice from my lawyer that we've started the settlement process. He is not, however, ready to sign off on me. He still feels the shoulder and neck issues are unresolved at this point. I've been having recurring pain going down my arms and into my fingers and he said that is caused by something in the neck. So, since he hadn't done an MRI of my neck, he's having one done. That's Friday morning, before I go to work.

Not much else is going on...Just working again, about 20 hours a week and footsore from it. Monday we were busy enough I got a whole body workout and that's what made the arm and hand pain flare up, I guess. Not much else to say.

Anyone watching The Biggest Loser? I am *so* glad Joelle is gone, but sorry Carla didn't get a chance to continue. Carla really kicked butt and wanted to be there.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6095949

Hey Gang! I've got power back, woo hooooo!!! And only by a fluke that we've got it too. Yesterday the farm manager came upon a service worker from the electric co. who'd ditched his truck and helped him get it out. The worker asked if we had any electrical issues here on the farm and got us hooked back up. We'd called the electric co. yesterday morning and they said it would be a few more days, so I feel blessed to have power now.

Getting caught up on all the emails and forums, but wanted to drop in and say howdy.

Love and Hugs,
Neal
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6095997

GW, sorry to hear you're still hurting! Love watching Biggest Loser! I like seeing the progress of the contestants that have been sent home and both of those gals have done well so far. Unfortuantely, being on the show costs them their friendship. I agree about Joella, she didn't seem to want to be there all along, but felt bad for her after the voting when everyone hugged Carla goodby and no one said a word to Joelle.

Dusty, my apologies...I misunderstood! Hopefully it won't be much longer till you have your car back.

Bonnie, I'm stunned! With all that food you have put up, you don't also have a supply closet stocked with all those other non-food items, like tp?

ROTFL, Sue! Hope spring gets here soon, before they come haul you away in a straight jacket! You are losing it a little more each day...lol!

All's well here. Have a wonderful day!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6096155

GW - I was just a bit worried when I didn't see you posting anywhere... glad your doc is on top of things.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6096359

Gw bummer on the neck. Ouch. No wonder your tired this week. You have been busy. T&P to you .
msrobin LOL yeah i know. this is just to much for me . I m really loosing it this week ain't I ? and i can feel another bout of depression comming on too uhg can't win this winter can i ?
YEAH NEAL HAS POWER !!!! thank you electric guy for getting his truck stuck . ! Yeah . i bet you will never take hot water for granted again Neal LOLLLL.
Neal you have any good curry recipes
Marcy i would love that soup, Neal gave me a bunch of curry to try .
love that stuff.
well not much here. :(
hmmmm i should be careful i just might get depressed and start shopping online. LOLLLL
oh do any of you get the Bakers Creek catolalog ? oh its wonderful !!! so pretty too. Wonderful pictures.
take care
sue
joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6097588

Just a quick pop in. We're headed out for our little cruise tonight, but I wanted to share a new picture of Kyle with you. He is such a sweet little guy...

Thumbnail by joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6097596

This one is better..

Thumbnail by joycet

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6097750

Good afternoon all...19* out there and the sun is shining...

Thanks be to Creator and a bad driver you finally have power Neal!!!
I sure have been sending Smoke for you all ...Where is George?? Is he goofing off or out of power too???
How far are you from Lexington, driving wise???

Thanks for the warning Bons...I needed that reality check...These clothes for the Vets HAD to be done, no matter what, so that is behind me...Too many winter things in there that they need...Everything Cookie left for me in the basement is up and packed as of today...and the rest of my things that were in the guest room closet are also packed up...so I am done with that...Just gotta get them delivered...

I have some painting I want/need to do so that will be done one room or Hallway a day or maybe 2 days...Not gonna torque the Rotator cuffs or the cwappy wrist...
On my back breaks, I am sitting here watching Daves, and doing needlework...and plotting what projects need doing...
I have the 2 new coachlamps that need to be painted as well as the terrarium, now that the top has been repaired, so they are off to the basement...Once they are painted, they can be hung out on the porch...which will get them off the dining room floor...LOL

All you peeps with Sinus probs, just need a good helping of my homemade Salsa...Clear ya out in no time flat... ROFLLLL

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6097930

Dusty, Lexington is about 20-30 minutes from here. As Lexington sprawls, Winchester is almost a suburb of Lexington now. Hamburg Pavilion on the east side of Lexington is so brightly lit, it really screws up our view of the night sky in that direction. Your prayers in Smoke are greatly appreciated, it sure felt like divine intervention they way it worked out :-)

Sue, I don't have any curry recipes that I've tried, since I usually kinda wing it in the kitchen, LOL. About the only time I measure anything is when I bake. Do you ever check out allrecipes.com? Just type in curry to the search engine and you'll get all kinds of ideas. I like to check out foodnetwork.com too.

I'm about half way through the mountain of laundry that had piled up, and doing odd jobs and checking in here between loads. Got a few more jugs wintersown and have been tending (well, ok...playing with, lol) my little Snapdragon and Pansy seedlings. Poor little things didn't stretch too terribly during their time in the dark, and it seemed to bring about some more germination in the pots of Pansies. I think they liked the cooler temps too.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6098923

Everyone wish Cookie and Bro a Bon Voyage!!!!!!

They are going to go soak up the rays in 70+ degrees, and I hope she sunburns her hinnie!!! I am sooooo jealous...I don't give a hang about the dern ship trip...I just want the TEMPS!!!! LOL

Have a wonderful time Sissy !!!

Neal...I know about those mountains, and I know about sitting in the chair in between...I'm guessing your poor back is about like mine...Do a little, sit a little on the heating pad...I am already eyeballing a tool caddy for a 5 gal bucket that I can sit on to garden this SUMMER...Somebuddy Puhleeese tell me there will be a SUMMER this year...I went to do a feeder refill and check the pond heater, and my face was frozen in less than 10 mins...Never got above 25* here today...

Grilled Chicken salad here tonight, and it's done and over with and the DW is loaded...Yep...I like retirement...Missed my Nap tho... :-((

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6099225

Happy retirement, Dusty. Enjoy!

I am ready to retire, myself...For the night. My feet are killing me and nothing sounds better than sleep. I bought some Shoes for Crews non-slip shoes, but their padding is about worthless even with the insoles. I'll be better off in my old Brooks athletic shoes. I was really hoping these would work for me, but nope. At least they have a 60-day return policy. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6099312

Thanks Neal , Ok i will look at that site . Good to know. I just love curry with chicken and rice. yumo
Cookie have fun , and don't eat to much ROFLLLLLLLL
not much here
talked iwth T , nothing new in china, he did get his visa but only a 30 day one again. Apparently they make it difficult because America makes it difficult for them when they are over here ? what the ? so they will work on it and hope he can get a work visa. Why its this difficult and wasn't last time ? i have no idea. That is the chinese way.
kids are down for bed yeah !
Dusty hope your wrist feels better . Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Saw some porcelain dolls at goodwill and thought of you, they had on little victorian dresses. very pretty.
good night everyone
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6099523

I have read a couple times today, but it was grocery day, and I took my time doing it. When I got home, I made vegetable soup for a pot luck, a cheesecake and a gallon of tea. Put a turkey in to roast, and left it until I got home from the potluck. The house smelled so good when we got back.

DS and his SO came while I was gone, and we visited after I got home.

Neal, so glad to hear that you have power again. Glad in a twisted way that the utility worker hit the ditch, maybe he just needed to smell the roses!!

Joyce, where is that big ole cruise ship a taken you? I know that you will enjoy it, and eat every morsel you can, you have spring around the corner and lots of outside work to help work off the pounds.

Kimberly, sorry that you are having feet, neck problems. Good shoes are a must if you are on your feet a lot. I have never heard of a 60 day return policy. Wow, you should know if they are gonna work or not in that length of time.

Robin, when you get some projects done, let us see some pics.

Dusty, yep, it was cold here today too. I can't believe that the weekend is gonna be 50+ Maybe most of this snow will leave.

Sue, is your DH's lack of a work Visa keeping him from working? I don't understand how that works. Does he need a Visa to be there, and another one to work? By the way, don't think I have ever asked, what does he do?

Hiya Ric.

~~~ to all others, and won't name you, as I know I would omit somebody, and even if you didn't mind, it would bother me.

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6099773

Hey everyone! Don't think I said hi today???? Too lazy to go look!!
Ric...did I recognize some plants in that picture???? Think I did! They are looking good!
Wish I was going on a cruise...like some people I know!!! LOL!!! Dave says ALL boats are Titanics!!! Oh well!
Nothing happening here...that's for sure. I am glad to hear our weather is supposed to warm into the 50's this weekend though! Wow!! A heat wave!!
Well at least I can get out tomorrow, with no more snow and ice coming...so guess I will go do my shopping.
~~~~~~~~waving to ALL...and I hope you have a good night and a great day tomorrow!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6099956

Yes Marcy you sure did!
They are all doing well except the two I always fight w/ in the Winter.
Crotons and Ficus.
Crotons w/ spider mites. Ficus cause thay just don't like being moved! lol!
But they are bouncing back.
The Orange Hibiscus had been dormant... but I guess it got tired of sleeping.
The Mexican Petunia Bush is huge! Did you usually prune it back?

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6101099

BOnnie yes he needs a visa to work and that will be for the whole year. SO he won't have to leave every 30 days and go through the whole process again. You have to fly over or take a boat and its a full day journey. It wasn't this hard last year, we don't understand why its this complicated ? yeah china. ?
not much here today
trying to get our interest for the year on one of your loans , and it isn't easy , on hold again, Then i get transfered then told the call volume is to high and call back grrrrrrr. i hope they give it to me after all this, loan isn't in my name. Thank you T. Grrrrr.
I really hope we can sell this stupid trailer ! i hate that thing .
bbl
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009

Post #6101456

Morning everyone! The sun is shining here!! Andddddddddd...it's warming up!!! I am sooo ready for that!
I thought so Ric! And yes...I used to cut that mexican petunia bush wayyyyyyy back! You can't kill it!! I bought that in Florida when visiting my daughter one year...way back in the 90's. I took a couple of starts off it before you took it...and guess what? ONE would have been sufficient!! LOL! They are both growing fine!
I am anxious to see if that BOP ever blooms for you. It never did bloom for me, and I can tell you it is old too. Probably from the 90's also. Good luck with that!
Well...we had this big black streak on our bathroom door this morning. Couldn't figure out where it came from? It was about my shoulder height...and it looked like dirt. Got a rag and it washed off...with some rubbing. (Door is off white)...It was a mystery!
Dave finally solved it! I have this sweat jacket that I wear around the house most days..(because I am always frozen!) It seems I got soot from the woodstove all over one sleeve, and didn't see it...but the door did!!! Must have happened when I walked by it.
That is the extent of my excitement here...lol!!
Ok...off to dry my hair...and get ready for the big Wallyworld trip!!!! Woohooo!!!!
Doesn't take much to make me happy!!!!!!!
Have a great day all!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6101551

Have fun at wally Marcy
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6101602

Good morning all...26* and rising here...

Cookie left me her car for the weekend, so I am loading it up and heading out to the VA...That will clear most of the dining room floor...LOL...Gonna stop at TSC and HD and I'll be done for the day...

Got a giggle out of the Mexican Petunia Marcy...I had them planted as a hedge at our house down there, and nooooo you can't kill them...I don't think you could kill them with roundup!!! LOL They got trimmed up with the hedge clippers every spring just like a boxwood...

Neal...I was thinking that you weren't too far from Lexington...I want to go down there sometime late spring to a daylily breeder and see his fields...Maybe I can kidnap you to go with me??

Well off to get dressed and get out of here...Gotta load up the car...
You all have a good day and enjoy the sunshine...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6101824

Hi everybody.

Been so busy the last couple of days between that and my back being out I haven't really had a chance to check in. So here I am, still here. still cold, still buried in snow, still broke as the 10 Commandments, still needing to get these britches to Chele (yeah I know I dropped that ball but I will make it up to you, Sorry Sis).

I need to read to catch up on some what's happening with you guys. I have just glanced over most of the posts and got the highlights but I do need to read further.

Talk later and sending much love!

T/O

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 6, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6102390

Just got back from the dermatologist. Got a spot on my cheek hacked on and biopsied. We'll know in a couple weeks if they need to slice on it further.

We're back to doing the weekly 4-H meetings again. I'll be glad when my youngest gets too old for this cause I'll be passing the baton in a real hurry to someone else. At that point most of the kids in the club will be out of 4-H by then and there'll be no more dairy kids in the county anyway.

I can't believe it's supposed to get up to 60 tomorrow. Too bad the ground will still be frozen because I could get out there and get some fabric mat down in the daylilies to try to get a head start on keeping down the weeds.

Good to hear folks are getting power back. Taking a bath in 2 inches of water in the bathtub from water heated on the wood stove was doable but not as satisfying as a good hot steaming shower.

Y'all have a good day and enjoy the sunshine.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6102451

I was thinking of doing 4-H with the kids , with bunnies . But i think we will do baseball with my son and maybe 4-h with DD. She realy likes bunnies. I just havn't gone to the extension office yet. I m such a green horn on this . LOLLL i guess i will learn the fast and hard way .
How long have you been doing 4-H ? Kydaylilylady ?
wow 60 ! oh i m so jealous , i think we might get 40 ? and it feels good here today at 35 aaahhhh and sun too.
I hope its good news on your cheek T&P for you on that . :) N
not an easy thing to wait .
off to get kids
sue
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 6, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6102535

Sue, I showed dairy cattle from '68-'85 and then started with my oldest back in 4-H in '94 helping her do some of the judging and quiz bowl and some of the foods projects. We have a pretty strong rabbit and chicken program going down here in this area. They have a good leader which always helps. Just wade on in. The 4-H agents are always looking for leaders.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6102996

Oh Dusty that sounds FUNFUNFUN!!! I've been wanting to visit the daylily farms forever!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6103404

Well get my bed ready Neal...I think we will do just that...Maybe tour on Sat, and I can stay over and come home on Sunday???...I would Love to spend the day with you looking at the Lilys... ;-))

Welllll it's 43* and a real heat wave going on here...the roofline is dripping like crazy...I just hope it melts off most of this mess before we get hit with another seige, and I already am familiar with February in OH...I KNOW I'm gonna get it...just a case of when... :-((

Well, I made it back from the VA...There were wrecks everywhere, why I have no clue...no slicky anywhere...I got allllll sorts of hugs and kisses, and a zillion Thank Yous to pass on to Juli...They were so grateful and I can see why...Nothing but summer stuff out there, so the winter things and sweaters and jeans were most welcome...That made my day... :-))))

I didn't stop at HD as I planned, because of the accidents, so I'll go tomorrow...I have to get a small bulb to fix Cookies Christmas snowman nightlight...I repaired the cracked insert that holds him on to the base...I want to look in the OOPs bin for some wall paints...I just did the VA, and my SA store, and got a long curtain rod for Jims bedroom window, and the cutest valances for his den/cave...They are denim, but the tabs are hooked with the fasteners like on Bib overalls...$2 for the pair...and Cookie left me a denim swag to go over them... ;-))
I stopped by there because I had to take some paperwork for him to the VA Clinic in Middletown...I told the SA I would see them tomorrow with those boxes of chatchkies etc, that I couldn't cram in the car...

They had a really Kewel table there that I think I will get if it is still there tomorrow... $10, and someone has done a really great Crackle paint job on it...The style makes it look like french country, and I know where there are 4 chairs to go with it for $20...It will look really kewel...I can get the chairs in the car, but not the table even with the legs off...so we will have to get it when Cookie gets home and we can use the truck...It's at the SA in Middletown, so not far to go...I will be on the prowl for an open top hutch to crackle to match it, or one that fits the style but has doors that can be removed... Maybe green & white Toile for cushions and a table runner to match the green in the kitchen...French it up...LOL

Guess I had better hunt up something to cook for supper...Pizza and salad sounds like a winner...especially since Jim just came out of his Cave and asked for it ..LOL

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6104180

When we left for IKEA at 10 AM it was 14░.
When we got to Wally World at 1:30 we left the coats in the car.
By the time we got home it was 47░ .

IKEA was cool!
You could spend days just looking at their displays and gathering ideas.
We spent a few hours browsing the displays and found a great deal on a PO─NG Chair and Foot Stool for Robyn.
If you've never set in a good bentwood chair you're missing a treat.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39840162

Click on Alme natural and Oak veneer and take 25% off that price!

We also got some Hospital Curtain type rods.
If all goes as planned they will stretch across the Bay, make a 90░ curve and then cover the other two windows.
About 13' of curtains and the rods were 1/3 the online prices I've found elsewhere.
Robyn will make the curtains.

Tomorrow I'll start upgrading Robyn's puter.
Also, hopefully, do a project I've been thinking about for the Spanish Moss.

Then it's out to finish the limb.
The ice should be gone by then.
It's been too dangerous to chain saw.
W/ this heat coming on we need to get it out before the daffs and tulips start emerging.
The Hellebores are still buried in the snow.
I'm expecting to see buds when it melts.
They budded way too early last year also.

The bamboo rebounded nicely.
Can't even tell it was 3' tall a week ago.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6104556

Evening friends. Ric, I worked on DGD's computer all day, and have it running faster, got rid of all the viruses, added memory, so now she has almost a brand new one. Are you familiar with System Mechanic Professional software? That is what I used to clean her's up, and it did a fantastic job. Got to work on my laptop next.

We have a couple who are in their 80's and we visit and go out. Well, he had invited DH to go with him to a wild game supper at their church. It is a fund raiser they have every year. So DGD and I stayed with the lady, and we ordered out for pizza, and the men went to eat bear, elk, deer, turtle, pheasant, fish, and who knows what else. There was a speaker, and door prizes, well DH won a 12 guage shot gun. He is as happy as a kid at Christmas.

Dusty, sounds like you had a good day, and good finds too.

Hey, what daylily place are you going to? I got a John Rice catalog yesterday, and there are some beauties in there,

When we were coming through Georgetown this afternoon, I spied a Habitat restore. I gotta make a trip back there!!

Gonna go check my e-mails, and then I am off to bed, been a long day here. Got up in the 50's so lots of water running everywhere. DGD is hoping that she can get in some sledding tomorrow, before it is all gone. I am going to take some more puppy pictures tomorrow, they are such cuties!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #6104709

I've been having PSU problems w/ that puter for years.
I figured since I'm upgrading the RAM I might as well go ahead and replace all the old parts while I'm in there.
Plus I got her a new Mouse and Keyboard.
It should zoom IF it takes the RAM.
It takes old DDR 333 which I found but I'm testing it w/ 1 Gig first.
The power supply was a cheap easy fix.

I haven't used System Mechanic Professional but have used similar software.
It's a good way to cleanse the system.
I do run AVG and Malwarebyte routinely.

It's gorgeous out tonight!
34░ and rising!!

Ric
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6105204

Janet's, Daylily World and John Rice are all close to each other...

I usually visit John during the greenhouse bloom, which is 6 weeks before the outside bloom. Greenhouse is late April, early May. I think their outdoor bloom peaks 2nd week June?

For me here in central Ohio, it is usually 2nd week July, for Curt Hanson in Cleveland, end of July.

Pretty neat... when I was a judge for the Daylily Society, I would start going to gardens looking at plants in early June in Southern Ohio and Indiana. Then, go every weekend, moving North till the late bloomers finished at Moldovan's and Curt's up north mid August. Like a wave of bloom across Ohio from South to North.

Here is one of Rice's I have loved for several years seeing it as a seedling. It is the most lucious color. He named it Reining, and brought it out this year. He drops his prices pretty fast on new intros - I will wait 2-3 years and then this one will be living in my front bed right by my sidewalk!

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6105446

good morning
Jules that is stunning !
its windy today !!!
cloudy and windy but warm ,mud mud and more mud.
have to meet up with Inlaws for lunch and then i might take kids to a movie. ?
just not motivated
Ric Ikea is cool isn't it . We have one in CA. its huge !!!! would take 3 days just to see it all.
have a great day
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6106269

Good Morning all...A magnificent 51.6* here!!! We are melted down to the last ice crust so far...2 more to go...It looks like its raining out there...
It is a bit cloudy, and we have wind, but not bad...

I am going to get ready here in a few and head out to HD...and drop off the boxes at Salvation Army, see if that table is still there...stop by Krogers, and top off the gas tank...

So, Neal...Whatcha think about Mayday weekend for a trip to John Rices?? We can put our bibs on and go drool...LOL

You all have a great day...I'll be back later...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6107103

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6106820

Guess who!!!!

Yes it is me Cookie...I am on the ship in the middle of the sea. .55 a minute, so it will be quick. (I did have a coupon for 7.50 off though) Takes a while just to read to catch up.

Sounds like the car came at a good time for you Dusty, glad you could use it.

I d-mailed Bertie about some stuff but I'm not sure if she gets on everyday, so if you could call her and ask her to check her d-mail that would be great.

Today we were supposed to be on Cococay beach, but it is so windy that they couldn't get the tender boats close enough to the ship to get the passengers off to go on shore, so we're having a day at sea instead. We did manage to sit out for a little bit but it is pretty windy and cold unless the sun is shining and it is pretty cloudy. So looks like we'll be having a nap this afternoon! :O) I'd say the temps are probably in the 60s and if you can get out of the wind the sun feels wonderful on your face. Trouble is, it's "partly cloudy" today...(more like "mostly" cloudy!!) We ate at Johnny Rockets for lunch, and I am SOOOO stuffed. I did sneak a cappacino cake dessert before lunch off the open eating area...it was awesome.

Well, I've used up my minutes, so I won't be able to check on any other threads...If you would spread the news that we're alive and well (fat and happy) I'd be grateful. We dock at Nassau tonight instead of tomorrow because we couldn't stay at Cococay, so that's the plans for tomorrow.

Miss you guys...sumpin AWFUL!!

:O) Cookie♥♥♥

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6107203

GREAT to hear from you... sorry about the weather though...
(did that sound sincere? Yes she'll buy it)
Hope the Bahama's are better!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6107323

Cooke, see if you can find that money I lost 2 years ago in Nassau!! It should be at the Atlantis.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6107371

and no more cake eating !!!!! missy , if i can't have cake neither can she "humpf "
low sugar makes me grumpy. LOL
ok not much here
out to lunch with inlaws
went to mall so kids can do the jumpy thing
grocery
home
dinner i had a large sweet potato and sprinkled brown sugar, couldn't eat the whole thing ! but it was good. i have never had a sweet potatoe but i found myself craving one, so i got some and am now addicted.
weeeee
hope you all had a great day
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6107403

ROFLLLL Bons...Noooo Bro Ric.. I doan thin so .. she be one smart Cookie and know you are being a Poo...

Still 51* here and still defrosting...Just refilled the feeders and unplugged the pond heater...Been cloudy all day but staying warm...
I must be back to Buckeye status as I was in shirtsleeves all day, albiet long ones pushed up...LOL

The table was still at the SA so it now is bought and paid for, and 2 of the 4 chairs were still there at the other place, and I got a 20% discount so I have $27 invested in the table and 2 chairs...Somebody beat me to the other 2 by 20 minutes...Oh well...At least I can seat 4 now, and 2 more will show up eventually, or maybe an upholstered bench in front of the fireplace on the one side...I knew if that table was still there today, that it was meant to be...Heck, for the $10, I could have used it for a craft table downstairs if nothing else...

Off to sear up the peppers and onions...I have Fajita meat waiting in the marinade...Arroz con Gandules to go with them...Puerto Rican recipe from a close friend, and it is Yummmmmy...

Have a good evening all!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6107661

good night everyone

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6107765

Dusty, How are pigeon peas different from garbanzos?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6108070

Pigeon Pea!
Like on a statue? YUCK!

It's still 55░ here at 9 PM!
WOW!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6108102

We went out to eat tonight at my favorite Chinese place. It is a buffet and it is so good. Ate too much as usual. Have typed and printed the church bulletins for tomorrow, and hope that I can get in bed and get a good night's sleep.

Dusty, ROF, what do you mean, you don't think my money is not there? Hehe, I don't imagine it is either, but if she is gonna be in the vicinity, thought I would ask her to take a look. I need a good fajita and enchilida recipe if someone has one.

Ric what software do you use for computer clean up? Any tips to make a slow one faster? May have to pop over in the computer forum and do some asking. Thanks for any tips you may have.

I got a catalog from John Rice the other day, and my jaw dropped at some of the prices. Will have to wait several years for the prices to go down, waaaayyyy down. But loved all of them in the catalog.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6109542

Time for a new Thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950351/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America