Fishing Kauai

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Our family had a mini-reunion for Thanksgiving. We all went out to Kauai for the holiday. The boys decided to try some sport fishing. Wow was that ever fun. The water was a bit rough as was typical for November there but Captain J found us tuna that we caught until our arm muscles got fatigued. Fresh tuna on the Barbeque is a thousand times better than what comes in a can!

http://www.deepseafishingkauai.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=22

Photo is fresh sushi.

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Oil City, PA

That looks like the dock at Hanapepe, Took the family there last year to meet up with my dad who rented a house at Poipu for a month. My father and I took a charter out of there. Caught some mahi mahi and some tuna, had a blast, wish I could be there now.

The guy on the right is my father with one of the mahi mahi

Thumbnail by gumbydamnit
Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Yes that is the place. It was a trip to remember for a long time. Your dad sure caught a beautiful fish. I am biased. I would rather catch a mahi mahi than any marlin.... Just a personal preference. Don't you just love the shimmering colors of them?

wow.

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

That is the island my husband is from. We are going there the end of March for his family reunion. I can't wait to do some saltwater fishing again!

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Captain J just sent me a photo of a recent outing. I think he did that just so I would drool a little

Thumbnail by alaska_rick
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rick hi long time. Been there done that to and its ok but nothing like your back yard.Ernie

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

It is a lot warmer than MY backyard right now. No one is fishing near me right now. WAAAAAAAY too cold for fun fishing.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Rick now that depends on which particular strain of fishing bug you contract. One of my most treasured fishing memories is of a day in late feb 1972 or 3. I went to the South fork of the Nooksack on a very cold clear day. Crossing the river to the shady bank I had to dodge ice chunks that had broken loose from the shore. Walking up the other shore to the bar I wanted to fish off of I broke a path of shore ice to get to the place I wanted. I remember laughing at myself saying I should break a wider path to pull my fish through.As if anything would bite at 20 degrees.

Every 2nd or third cast I had to put the tip of my rod in my mouth to melt the ice from the tip eye. To make a long story short I caught a 17 pound steelhead and in the process filled my waders with frfesh river water to the knees lol now that was waaaaaay to cold it was so cold it gave new meaning to the words of the song you take my breath away.

How is the gh you got the hang of growing tundra tomatoes yet?

I saw a gardening show filmed in Alaska. Its beautiful and amazing the amount of things you can grow there if you try really hard, lol.

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

There are some areas that will grow a garden some years. Sometimes I get tomatoes and some years all of our plants just rot in place.

Well I didn't get to go fishing in Kauai after all. They had bad tradewinds the whole time we were there and it was too rough to go out in the boat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.