Photo by Melody

Weather: February Daily Weather Going for warm!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 121, Views: 657
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6077835

Starting off the month at 21.6.
We know it won't last, but, oh well, spring is nearer than it was on Jan 1.

Have a Great Month !
Bernie
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6078278

will be 49 today. has anyone heard from WVA or KY folks? many are without power according to CNN. Hope all is well.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6078346

41 (Wind Chill 33) and ice litters the ground...

Different areas of KY different stories.
Sharran was pounded down in western KY... trees, lines and power gone.
Eastern fared better.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6078541

I see people checking in in a few places. Others are pitching in and helping.

25F with 40 for the high.
Feels like: 18F

Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 81%
Visibility: 2 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 6 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 5:45 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

A tender moment.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6078611

Here's a link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946772/
I met a bunch of these people in Sept. at KY RU.

Above freezing here again. Go away snow!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6078807

43 no wind chill, not a cloud.
I'm out cutting up that limb in a T-Shirt and Baseball Cap.
What a difference a day makes.
Yesterday it was 1 and full Winter hiking garb.

Last night was a noise fest.
Ice dropping on the Hot Tub canopy sounded like firecrackers and then the House roof got it.
Smack...Slide...Smack...Slide all night long.

We're going over to a neighbor's for Super Bowl.
They just got a metal roof this Fall.
It looks like an avalanche Zone.
The ice and snow have slipped about 8" over the roof edge.
I know when our garage roof lets loose the whole thing slips at once.
WHACK!

Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6078845

MIL has relatives in Grandin, MO and they've been without power since Tuesday. That's got to be really rough in cold weather.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6078916

In the mid 50s here, partly cloudy and still gusty. If the wind would go away it would be a nice day.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6078935

The entire Kentucky Army National Guard has been mobilized.
They are clearing trees ahead of the power companies.
Also bringing in fuel for heating and they brought generators to run the service stations w/ fuel.
Their main priority now is checking every house down there in the affected areas.
Then get the water treatment plants back up and running.

43 (Wind Chill 36) Dewpoint: 32 Wind: SW 12 MPH
Humidity: 65% Pressure: 29.97 in Hg
Average: High 39 Low 22
Today's Sunrise: 7:45AM
Today's Sunset: 6:00PM
(10:15 hours of sunlight)

This wind is really melting off the snow now.

Happy to say the FPR roof held up marvelously.
There is 4" of ice and probably 4 " of snow up there.
If it will hold that... a GH will be NO problem.

Celia LOL! Tender indeed.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6079839

Minus 10F ~ sunny and bright. Not a breath of wind. All's glittering and gorgeous.
The volcano continues to warm up; sure hope we're able to fly out on the 10th; haven't seen the 2 grandkids since mid-October.
ric~thanks for the update ~ what mess for all caught in the ice/snow storm.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6079866

Great shot, Kiska! I hope you can fly to see your grandchildren. Is the volcano a threat for your area?
I saw on TV about KY, so scary!
Celia, so cute!
It's greezing again and we had a few snowflakes yesterday. You can see behind Buck!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6079878

Y'all have been busy this weekend! Too much to catch up on. Celia a/k/a Kwanjin asked me to let y'all know her modem went down. I'd cry :(
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6079918

Love Buck's pic, Adina. Do you like having snow?
Yes, the volcano would affect flights out of Anchorage.
MySharona~me too:) Look forward to seeing her back online; thanks. Your Peanut/Jeff make good photo subjects.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6080141

Adina if Buck isn't saying "Let me in!" then I don't know dogs! LOL!

46 (Wind Chill 42

Off to a SB Party

Ric
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6081625

Currently 31 and falling. Wow, we had a high of 54 today! (according to the fancy wireless thermometer I got for Christmas) Back in the freezer by mid-week with a high predicted in the low teens. Back up to 40 by next weekend though.

Ric...Yeah, Buck is saying "Woof, woof, please let me come in and make a bunch of muddy tracks, woof, woof."

Go Steelers! I guess the trash talking Browns fans at work will be quiet this week.
(not my photo)

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 12:38 AM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #6081662

I take it the Steelers won? I usually watch the Super Bowl, but we were so busy today I didn't even think of it. Rats. We had fun, though. :-) We went to the Museum of Fine Arts after church. On the first Sunday of the month Target sponsors a children's day there with a theme and lots of activities - and it's free! I don't know how long they've been doing this, but I'm sorry we haven't heard of it before! This month's theme was Japan, and along with a bunch of craft-y things (none of which we did, because the girls wanted to just wander around looking at things... next time!), they showed My Neighbor Totoro, an animated movie by my husband's all-time favorite director, Hayao Miyazaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki). The girls have already seen - and loved! - Totoro on our DVD, but it was very fun seeing it in a real theatre with an audience who was enthusiastically laughing at all the right spots. If you get a chance to see a Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movie, do it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli

(Side note: Not all of their movies (or any Japanese studio's movies, for that matter) are suitable for small children, even if they are animated. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke in particular, are quite intense. They're all really good, though!)

We wandered around the exhibits at the museum for a while, and then came back home and relaxed for about an hour before heading back to church for children's choir. When I got home, I realized that I have a Bible study board meeting tomorrow and I hadn't even typed up last month's meeting notes, to say nothing of e-mailing them to the rest of the board. Oops!!! Where DID January go??? So since putting the bunnies to bed, I've been working on Bible study stuff. I do the PowerPoint slides for our announcements/lyrics to the songs we sing during worship time. Half the fun is making the backgrounds to the slides. :-) That part is done, so now I just need to type the lyrics in and update the announcements. Whew! :-)

It was pushing 80 today, but, of course, there's another chilly front coming through tonight. I'm hoping we will get some real rain out of it this time... We really need it!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53pm CST (14 min ago)
Temperature 57 F 14 C
Dew Point 55 F 13 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.7 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Clear
24 hour min temperature ending 11:53pm CST : 54.0F / 12.2C
24 hour max temperature ending 11:53pm CST : 78.1F / 22.2C

Through 1 am, isolated showers and thunderstorms will continue developing across the region and move east at 10 to 15 mph. Some of the storms may briefly pulse up to strong levels, producing pea size hail. A line of stronger showers and thunderstorms will be moving into norther parts of southeast texas and approach the area later tonight.

Rest of tonight Cloudy with a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

Monday Partly cloudy until late afternoon then clearing. A chance of showers early in the morning. A chance of thunderstorms in the morning. A slight chance of showers in the late morning and early afternoon. Breezy, cooler. Highs in the upper 50s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent in the morning.

Monday night Mostly clear. Colder. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 12:14 AM

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 12:37 AM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
7:24 AM

Post #6081748

Dark, 46, 53 predicted for today.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6081903

I rarely watch sports on tv, rather go to the game. The only time Jeff watches is when the Steelers are in the SuperBowl. Sooooo, I double dog dared Jeff to go to the store with his dreds on. Unfortunately he had his UT sweatshirt and crocs on! He said he scared a couple of "little old ladies" in the store LOL!

48.9 F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 49 F
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning... then showers likely in the afternoon. High 61. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Got another cold front coming in tomorrow.

Yep - he looked like a dork LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #6081907

vrrrrroooooooooooom!

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6082723

LOL at Jeff!!!

I have no idea what our temp is outside except it's cold enough to have frost on the ground until a few minutes ago. Our high is only supposed to be 35. Our fancy thermometer that is outside appears to have quit working...again.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6082881

-2F Dark and the volcano continues to heat up. No eruption as of now, 7am.
Highs zero to 5 above.
MarylynT_X~what a very busy day and night; hope you had time to rest before heading out this morning.
MySharona~looks as if Jeff is loving it.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6083226

Hey now e_b... Trash Talking Browns fan here...LOL!
It was a good but WAY over officiated game.
LOVED seeing Polamalu whiff on that Tackle! lol!
REALLY violent commercials this year...
anyone on here from TX get the X Rated shots?

38F and Sunny here... cold weather coming back for a few days.
Maybe 60F by Sunday...

Guess the Rodent saw his shadow...

Woof Woof
Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6083528

With it cold this morning, but dark; I "assumed" it was also clear out. However, it's now light; with heavy fog. No shadow; no groundhogs here, either. What lies ahead:))?
The SBowl was fun to watch; didn't care who won, so enjoyed the back and forth scoring.
Sunrise: Actual Time 9:15 AM AKST
Sunset: 5:05 PM AKST
1*/ foggy
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6084082

Well, it's warmer than I was told it was gonna be. In the mid to high 40s. Very nice. Sunny too.

It appears that the weather station that we have here at the house doesn't like it when I fall asleep in the chair. I started falling asleep earlier and next thing I know that this is beeping like crazy. My first thought was TV, then fire alarm, then I realized that the sound was coming from the little weather deal. I went over there punched a button and told it to stay quiet or I was gonna take the batteries out. LOL. Needless to say I was awake and not going to sleep again. LOL
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6085429

Exciting SuperBowl game!! I usually watch it for the commercials, but really didn't enjoy them this year. I think most of them were too short. Puxatauny(sp) Phil saw his shadow. Short snow shower late this afternoon, now nothing..

kiska, stay safe in your volatile area.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6085477

cute story, pepper:)
se_eds~ with more winter on the way, guess there's more shovelling ahead.
We are pretty well set for emergencies; so should be ok when it erupts.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6085772

-2 here tonight & NW wind blowing hard. Brrrr!
One more day of cold, then a warming trend.
Spent the afternoon running errands & grocery shopping. I told my wife we could live for a long time on things we have stocked up, but she always finds things to put on the list!

I picked up a new price list for baby chicks today. Then all are 10 more each than last year.

Trying to watch "Bachelor" while catching up here.
Time to pay attention to the show.
Bernie
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6085978

18F after a sunny mild day.

Ric...It was a great game. An emotional roller coaster for fans of both teams. I assumed you were a Bungles fan. Up here in the NW corner of Pa. we have quite a few Browns fans since Cleveland is only an hour and a half west. Most of them can't remember the last time the Browns won anything but their parents do so they were raised to be Browns fans. I think it's a form of child abuse! ;) The NFL in it's infinite wisdom though has decreed that the Bills are the "local" team here though and the local TV stations have to show Bills games first whenever they play. There might be 3 Bills fans in this part of the state. The commercials were violent this year. How many times did they punch that koala bear? The "boxed flower" industry is probably kaput too.

Sharon...So that's why Jeff has that Steelers bike!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
10:52 AM

Post #6086547

E_B - He fell in love with that bike when he saw it! He is from Pittsburgh so he comes by it naturally LOL! Gorgeous picture!
Kiska - Any news on when the eruption will begin? I hope you are able to take your trip.

I almost wish I had stayed up to watch the game, but I slept really good LOL!

41.4 F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 39 F
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 5.4 mphfrom the West
Wind Gust: 9.4 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1900 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 9 am this morning to 5 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze warning in effect from 1 am to 9 am EST Wednesday...
Hard freeze watch in effect from Wednesday evening through Thursday morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Windy. High 54. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Fresh foliage on the NOID rose!

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6086641

Haven't opened the blinds yet to check the rest.
Only 13 high predicted.
Tomatoes are up & growing!

Big party in Clear Lake, Iowa last night. It was the 50th anniversary of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, & others. Over 2000 people from all over the world were there. Some from Australia, England, & all over the US.
Appearing on stage was Bobby Vee, who filled in the next night in Fargo, MN. He was only 15 at the time, but it launched his carrier.
I saw him many times at the Prom Ballroom in St.Paul, MN in the 1960's.

Clear Lake is only 100 miles from here, but I didn't make the trip.

Bernie
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6086665

Our forecasted low was 41* this morning, but we are at 37* now.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6087035

I poster the following on the previous thread and then realized there was a new thread for February so I copied and pasted it over here, too. Thank goodness for "copy and paste". LOL

I like to hear about your shopping and cabinet making, Bernie. Great idea top put the Corian on the router table.
Loving all the winter time shots, everyone--so pretty- and the cardinals are gorgeous!
EB, Nice comparison winter/summer shots, too, but I like summer better! LOL
Kelli: flying dragons and Buddha's hand--WOW!
Kiska: I heard on the news that the folks in Anchorage were stocking up on emergency supplies in anticipation of the volcano eruption!
Pepper: I will tell Friday that you think he looks "dapper". :o))

Marylyn; sounds like you had a busy day on Sunday! We did, too, mostly with church activities as well.
LOL at Jeff, Sharon!
I drove up here to Harrison to my daughter's house on Saturday--a beautiful day for a drive--the sun was shining and it was in the high 50's. . However, the ice storm certainly left behind its "calling card"--thousands of trees damaged or uprooted. It looked as if a giant tornado had come through most of north Arkansas and ripped out the tops of most of the trees! Terrible! My daughter's lawn, front and back, was literally covered with tree limbs and more limbs hanging from the tops of the trees. They were fortunate (thank You, Lord!) that none of the limbs fell on their house. They had an estimate from a tree guy of $2500.00 dollars to remove the limbs but their church's disaster assistance team came yesterday with chain saws and rakes and cleared the whole yard out plus raked up all the leaves that had fallen previously and they were gone in a matter of 3-4 hours! and all for FREE!!
I took pictures of the ice storm's damage but the corner broke off the little card "thingie" and now it won't fit back into my camera. I had already uploaded most of the photos on the card to my computer at home but I suppose the latest photos are lost. I have another card at home but I did not bring it with me. :o((

There are still a lot of people in this area without power but the utility companies have many trucks and workers out trying to get the power back on to everyone.

The sun is shining and the current temp is 36 with a high in the 40's later today.

Everyone have a good day!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6087421

Minus 11F Dark; haven't had first coffee, so will be back.
Sunrise: 9:13
Sunset: 5:33
Gain of 5m33seconds.
Copy/Paste from the AVO:
"A gas/observation overflight yesterday reported continued changes in the summit glaciers indicative of heating of the summit area. Photos from both the overflight and the hut webcam showed a small vapor plume at the summit. The web camera is now dark as our long winter night continues."
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6088115

Cold and sunny. Not much of a breeze though which is good. lol.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6088183

pepper~not having a breeze certainly makes for a better, cold, sunny day.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6088599

The Super Bowl was great. I found a lot of the commercials to be infantile. We watch a lot of sports and the commercials tend to be either infantile or macho. They seem to be aiming for the stereotypical 20-something males. (No offense intended to the nonstereotypical 20-something males who are reading this.)

We have to get the front of the house treated for termites. :-(

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 10:51 AM PST on February 03, 2009
75 F
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.10 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I have been trying to get over nasal spray addiction. I know you're picturing some wasted, stoned, California hippy thing, but it's not as bizarre as it sounds. If you use over-the-counter nasal spray for too long, your sinus get dependant on it and won't stay open without it. Eventually, they won't stay open with it, either. I had reached that point and stopped cold turkey. Yesterday was miserable. It was like having a really bad cold. Decongestant didn't work, steam didn't work, camphor didn't work. The only thing to help much was to put an ice pack on my face. Also, if I layed on my side, one side of my head would stay open pretty well. Anyway, the worst of that is over now. I can breathe pretty well today with the aid of decongestant tablets and camphor.

picture from Saturday

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6088634

Oh, Kelli, you poor thing... That sounds really miserable. :-( I sure hope you feel better soon! And I'm sorry about the termites, too. ugh...

It's 66 and sunny here. It still hasn't rained. I need to run the sprinkler tomorrow to soften the ground up so I can finally get to the weeding.

Look! Our humidity is lower than Kelli's!!! I'm not sure that has ever happened before. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (18 min ago)
Temperature 71 F 22 C
Dew Point 19 F -7 C
Humidity 14%
Pressure 30.28 in 1025.3 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir W 270
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 70 F 21 C Temp | 24 Max | 24 Min | Dew Point | Pressure | Feels Like
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 32.0F / 0.0C

Rest of today Sunny. Highs around 70. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Clear. Lows in the upper 30s. Southwest winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6088733

Marylyn, you must be ready to shrivel up and blow away! That reminds me. I need to turn on the humidifier so I don't get all itchy later. And I'm feeling pretty decent today in the sinus department. Yesterday was awful, but today is close to normal.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6088744

[quote]Marylyn, you must be ready to shrivel up and blow away![/quote]
Almost!! LOL I'm glad you're feeling better today.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 2:35 PM
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6088757

kelli~ glad to see that you're doing better than yesterday. Certainly must be miserable. Loved seeing snow and palm trees together. Beautiful country.
Marylyn~weeding in the middle of winter seems unusual:) Nice to be outside, though, I'm sure.
Minus 8F snowing lightly.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6089383

Hit a balmy 10 today.

That is one reason I never take over the counter medicines. First place it scares the he'' out of me when they run a commercial for one on TV. Don't take it if your pregnant or going to be, if you have a heart condition & it goes on & on.
I take one aspirin a day for heart health. That's it. If I get a cold, it's gone in 5 or 6 days, just like someone who chokes down a bunch of pills.

Bernie
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6089496

Cold medicine commercials have got to be the worst when it comes to false advertizing.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6090124

Kelli I've been there... it's tough but in a few days you'll feel better...a few weeks back to normal.
It's easy to get hooked on it... and like you I finally just thru it away.

Well we got POUNDED again.
No ice this time though.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...winter storm warning remains in effect until 10 pm est this
evening...

periods of moderate to heavy snow will continue into early evening along
a narrow axis from wayne county indiana down into hamilton county
ohio. additional accumulations of 1 to 2 inches will be possible.
this will result in storm total accumulations as high as 6 to 8
inches. in addition...gusty northwest winds will develop through
this evening and this will result in areas of blowing and drifting
snow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this notice first at 6 AM... and I could see it on the radar.
Hopped off to work to beat it... by Noon it still hadn't gotten here.

Here we are at 1:30PM

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6090139

2:30

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6090169

By 3:30 we left and started home.
I made it to the HWY and it was a crawl.
2" of snow on the road and building.
I finally bailed out an Exit early and took a surface street.
We I got home at 4:30 there was 4" of snow on the roads...
Looks like about 7-8" out there now and the winds are picking up.
18 (Wind Chill 6) Winds NW at 11 MPH...

Should be fun in the morning... NOT! LOL!

Here's a little something to brighten your day.
Our Hibiscus started blooming.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
10:59 AM

Post #6091231

Mau Glad you DD and property werent harmed by the ice storm. Stay safe.
Kiska Ive been reading about Mt. Redoubt. Really hoping its not going to erupt. When are you supposed to go on your trip?
Kelli Im glad you are feeling better. Termites? I feel for you. Termites and mold are our biggest issues here. Nice picture - a mix of citrus, palms and snow!
Ric I know you dont like it, but your wintery pics are pretty! Gorgeous Hib!

39.0 F
Clear
Windchill: 36 F
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 16 F
Wind: 9.9 mphfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 14.1 mph
Pressure: 30.15 in (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)

Freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 8 am this morning to 6 PM EST this afternoon...
Hard freeze warning in effect from 10 PM this evening to 10 am EST Thursday...
Hard freeze watch in effect from Thursday evening through Friday morning...

Well alrighty then :)

Today
Sunny...becoming windy...colder. High 43. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. Wind chills 14 to 19 in the morning.

We could get as low as the teens tonight. Jeff said this hurt a little LOL! That's what he gets for teasing the baby. We had a raccoon trying to get in through the pet door this morning. We block it off at night. It looked at me like "hello it's cold out here - lemme in"! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6091479

We are currently at 31.5* - getting colder Brrrr!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6091591

Mornin'! I am hopelessly behind. We got some snow yesterday & the day before, but nothing like what Ric, Se_eds, & E_B has had. But it's Snow! :D We are at 12 right now with a wind chill of -1, but the birds are singing away! :D
At Dublin...
Temp: 16F
Feels like: 4F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 9
Humidity: 70%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 10 mph W
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 5:50 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

I'll need to go do some major reading! But I Did look at a few of the pics! :D
Sharon!!! LOL!!! An obvious Steelers Fan! :D
E_B, Love your 'solitude' pics!
Ric, Your parking lot at work looks rather bleak. I remember days like those!
Kelli, Gorgeous Contrast! Wow!
Kiska, Hope the eruption 'cools' so you can go for your visit.

We had quarter-sized flakes! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6091594

LOL! My garden fairy is mad at me for leaving her outside! ;)

Thumbnail by music2keep

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6091870

In the 20s this morning but is supposed to get above freezing, close to 40. It is sunny out and no gusty winds...so far. lol

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 4, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6092364

Wow, such great pics everyone !
Kelly, the hand lemon is amasing! I also had this spray nasal addiction , several times and th efirst day without it was hard, like yours. I used to put a few water drops in the bottle and spray with it , at least it worked for a while, until the next day...just for a good sleep!LOL
Ric, you have so much snow! You were right about Buck, he wanted to come in and have lunch!LOL Beautiful hibiscus!
E_B, great pics!
Kiska, I love having snow, but when freezes, not when it's warm and the snow is melted...yuck!How's the volcano?
Sharon, Jeff is like a big boy!LOL
Mau, I'm so sorry to hear about the ice storm, I hope they turn on the power soon.
Joey, poor garden fairy!LOL Where was JW, was he outside playing?
Marylyn, how are the bunnies?
Our weather is upside down, getting warmer, we had 50 today , no more rain.
Azaleea started to bloom.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6092420

We got about 6-8 more inches here last night.
Well actually just in time to make rush hour a nightmare again.
Then the winds started.
There's about 5" of snow over the door sill in the FPR.
Maybe 24" next to the car when I left.

Not TOO bad this morning.
The roads were poor to fair.
Now it's just wet pavement.

50's by Friday? ... So they say!
17 now at Noon!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 4, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6092447

Ric, getting warm after so much snow, grrrr!
Kalanchoe is blooming too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6092877

Minus 5F no sunlight yet; the volcano continues to rumble, but nothing new as of now.
We fly out on February 10th. My Son-IL is flying out on Friday; so we're hoping he gets out, too.
wow~all that freezing weather going on;
Music2Keep~little fairy looks cute, but bet she is a bit miffed:))

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 4, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6093240

Kiska, so beautiful! I pray you can get out there on the 10th and the volcano stays quiet. Are many people leaving from your town because of the volcano ?
Still blooming poinsettia.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6093437

28 and sunny. Doesn't feel too bad outside.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6093480

pepper~sounds good:))
adina~love the bright red-nice reminder of the holidays.
As far as I know, no one is leaving because of the unrest of Mt. Redoubt. We'd made plans a few weeks ago, so will have to wait and see.
Minus 2F. Some sun.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 4, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6093660

Sharon, you must live in the Siberia of Florida. I thought that FL winters were warmer than here.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on February 04, 2009
79 F
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 17 F
Wind: 14 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.97 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

80% chance of rain tomorrow. Ooooo!!

We went for a walk today, in a part of the neighborhood where we hadn't gone for years. You have to kind of watch where you walk so you don't trip over the sidewalk and so you kind of notice people's grass. At one house I said, "That grass looks almost fake." It was fake. The whole front lawn was fake grass. As far as fake grass goes, though, it was well done. The thing that gave it away to me was that it was shinier than real grass.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6094021

Joey Poor little garden fairy! Those are huge flakes. How is our little boy doing? Is he enjoying the snow?
Adina Were colder than you! My Kalanchoe is not happy with the cold weve had lately. Im going to have to cover everything tonight.
Ric All of us are getting hammered by this cold blast! You and Bernie seem to have it worse than everyone else.
Kiska- Beautiful winter scenes!
Adina Your poinsettia looks great! Mine took a hit in the last freeze. I hope they make it through the next couple of nights.
Kelli Im cracking up LOL! We do get cold it just takes much longer than I like! The panhadle area gets snow every couple of years. Youre thinking more along the lines of Orlando, Tampa and Miami. Even they are going to be chilly for the next couple of nights. Ive heard of people painting their lawns. I think thats just odd - no offense if anyone does that

37.0 F
Clear
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 8 F
Wind: 7.5 mph from the WNW
Wind Gust: 9.7 mph
Pressure: 30.39 in (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)

Brrr! I had to leave Sweet Pea at home today. She wouldn't wear her sweater and it was just too cold for her. She snuggled up with Prissy all day.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6094043

BTW - We never made the 45* high.

I forgot to add:

Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 10 am EST Thursday...
Hard freeze warning in effect from 10 PM this evening to 10 am EST Thursday...
Hard freeze watch in effect from Thursday evening through Friday morning...

Tonight
Clear...colder. Lows 18 - 20. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills 8 to 13.

Oh man they've dropped our low to 20* tonight (but WX is still saying we could go into the teens). I don't know what a windchill of 8* feels like.

Dear God:
When I said I like cold weather I wasn't talking about KiskaCold! LOL!
Sharon

You know it's cold when Sylvester comes in and plops down (with a thud) on Jeff's lap.

Thumbnail by MySharona

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6094101

Sharon, I bet our 0 doesn't feel as cold as your 30. We were at 40 the other day & were running around outside with out jackets!

14 now, high 30's forecast for the next 7 days. Yippee!
At least February is a short month.

Ordered some bulbs over on the Co-op forum today. Don't really need them, but, you know how it is! Glads & Lilies.

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6094437

Jeff looks like he has a sunburn on his head in that last pic. LOL. And it looks like he smashed his thumb too. And of course Sylvester da-man for the moment. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6094532

18 (Wind Chill 8) going to 11
BUT 45 Friday then 50's thru at least Weds... FINALLY!

Great day w/ no driving drama.
Last evening some of the school buses were still delivering kids at 7 PM.
It appears most people stayed home today.
Snow covered HWY going in but no traffic.
High and Dry and about empty coming home!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6095791

Bernie - I'll have to replace some plants after the hard freezes we've had. We need the freezes to keep the icky bug population down, but they are hard on the native plants.
Pepper - Jeff shaved his head again which explains the red head. He gets hangnails then chews on them (me rolling eyes).
Ric - Glad you made it home without drama LOL!

23* right now and dropping.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6095793

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6095903

15, south wind.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6095918

-4 at work...

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6095963

Well we're up to:

27.1 F
Clear
Windchill: 23 F
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 4 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.57 in (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)

Hard freeze warning in effect until 10 am EST this morning...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...
Hard freeze warning in effect from 8 PM this evening to 9 am EST Friday...
Freeze watch in effect from late Friday night through Saturday morning...

Today
Sunny. High 45. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills 9 to 14 in the morning.

Basically the same forecast as yesterday. It's so cold Pea won't put her hiney on the floor!

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6096160

Mornin' All! We are quite cold this mornin', too, tho not as cold as most. We have 10 with a wind chill of 4. In Beckley (30 minutes away) it's 6 w/a wind chill of -8.

Fair: 10F
Feels like: 4F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 1
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 3 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:23 AM
Sunset: 5:51 PM

JW might get to go out in the snow today when it warms up some...he likes to stand at the front windows & watch the flakes fly. :) He says..."See? See?" Some of his words are too sophisticated for me to understand! :D
Sharon, So sorry that you are getting the "Kiska Cold", but I think we all like to share! ;) Great pic of Boo...she's like Jack...you can't see her in the dark! :D
Kelli, My mom once had a neighbor that wanted to have fake grass...but I think it was because he was too lazy to mow...not caring about being neat. Did it look neat & tidy?
Kiska, I've had that Fairy for years...& this is the 1st time I've noticed the 'miffed' look! LOL
Has any body heard from Deb? and Rann?
Dyson, Hope you are staying warm!
Se_eds, How's it going up there?

Weather trivia...
Which month has seen the most tornadoes in U.S. History?
a) May, 2003
b) May, 1999
c) June, 1992
d) April, 1974

Have a great day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6096222

16 Feels like 50 That's what happens when it's been below zero so long!
Will real warm this afternoon.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6096870

Here too Bernie!
But we'll be hitting maybe 30 by late afternoon.

Now they are saying 63 on Weds...

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6097123

Hi everyone!

Hopelessly behind again so I'll just say nice photos! Seems like it's been nippy for many and quite a havoc in Missouri and KY.

Kelli - hope you're feeling better ... sounds horrible.
a note on those nasal sprays from a pharmacist (me ;-)) To avoid addiction problems, you should never use the maximum allowed dosage unless you really need it. Most of the time you can get away with less. I always buy nasal spray intended for kids (and baby strenght for the girls) and except when I have a REALLY bad cold that's sufficient. Never had any problems, and I have mild colds for most of the winter months ;-)

Celia - fabulous shot of Monty the master of relaxation ! lol :-)

Kiska - hope the volcano stays quiet.

Ric - SO glad that tree missed your house! and Marsue - likewise for your daughter :-) And Friday is looking quite the handsome fella' ;-)

Sharon - LOL at Sweet Pea, too cute!

Well we've had glorious winter weather for the past week, calm, sunny and COLD (well by our standards at least!). It was 16F this morning with a high around 23F and that is FRIDGID too us hardy Icelanders! lol About as cold as we're likely to experience ... Still I love the calm and clear so I'll take the cold with it. Very nice to see the sun for a change :-) Quite nippy at the pool today, but it's easier this winter than last so I guess you can adjust to anything ;-)

There was a new coalition government formed last weekend so we have someone at the steering wheel once again. There will be an election in late April. Things have calmed down, the protesters got what they wanted.

A big "Hi" to y'all and hope you're all snug and cozy :-)

Rann

Sunrise two days ago, just after 10 am! Got to love that! Won't be long until it'll be bright at 9 am ;-) That's what I LOVE about February ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6097227

Probably high 50s here, sunny and very windy.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 5, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6097313

Sharon, it was 55 today , sunny and clear sky...thank God, we've had Dyson dark and rain for so long, even if it got warm ! Sending some warm for Pea and Sylvester!LOL
I was about to send you the link to my article about a Winter Walk In The Park, but it seemed just too cruel!LOL
Kiska and Joey, wonderful snow pics!
Rann, wow, love that sunrise !
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6097823

Good afternoon! We've been having trouble with our internet connection for several weeks. Last night the connection was so bad that it would time out while trying to load a single page. Today a Comcast guy came out and changed the cable in the attic, and now we're back up to normal speed. Yayyy!!!

I'm going to guess April of 1974, Joey. That's when all of those tornadoes hit Xenia, Ohio, among other places.

Sharon, LOL about the Kiska cold. :-)

And Kelli, I'm loling about the fake grass! LOL I suppose that is one way to conserve water and still have a green lawn...

Kiska, I do hope you don't have any trouble getting away for your trip!

Adina, send us some of your rain!! We haven't had any for weeks, which is highly unusual for us. There isn't much of a chance for any until next week, and even then it's not a good chance.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (17 min ago)
Temperature 72 F 22 C
Dew Point 45 F 7 C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 30.45 in 1031.3 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH 15 kts
Wind Dir S 170
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 75 F 24 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 43.0F / 6.1C

Today Mostly sunny until this afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Warmer. Lows in the lower 50s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6098616

Joey, the artificial grass did look neat. That yard was very flat. I don't think it would look right otherwise. I would imagine a person would have to vacuum it once in a while or else the dirt would build up and start to grow weeds.

RAIN!!!

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on February 05, 2009
52 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 5 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.97 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1600 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2600 ft
Overcast 3300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6099487

I'm going to go w/ A. Joey.

The Xenia event was part of the Super Outbreak.
The most tornadoes in a 24 hour period.
I was there just hours before and for days after doing cleanup.

For those of you not familiar w/ the Xenia event.

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/swio/pages/content/1974_tornado.htm

It's still cold here 19 (Wind Chill 11) .
Supposed to be 42 tomorrow.

Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6099516

We got one of those freaky 'lake-effect' snow bands late last evening which brought us 3 inches of fluffy snow. 7 deg. this AM. Warmed up to 17 this afternoon but brightand sunny.
Supposed to get above freezing tomorrow and up to 48 deg on Saturday. Ric, our wind chill was low due to winds from your area at 15-20 mph.

There is only one set of tracks - my husband went out for the mail. Gotta go out and refill the bird feeders tomorrow!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
10:16 AM

Post #6100486

Good morning!

More of the same today, fairly calm, mostly clear skies and 25F this morning. And pretty bright now at 10:15 am :-)

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #6100505

brrrrrr - overslept LOL! BBL

29.7 F
Clear
Windchill: 25 F
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 19 F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.57 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

Hard freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Freeze warning in effect from 2 am to 8 am EST Saturday...

Today
Sunny. Not as cool. Areas of frost in the morning. High 56. Northwest winds 5 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 8:27 AM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6100655

BRRRRR is right!
Bleak but pretty shot Rann.

10 here... wasn't supposed to go below 23

Hope that mid 40's hits.

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6100949

21 this morning.
That's like starting out with 50 in Florida!

Sunshine & clear.
It will melt snow today.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6100984

Still only 14 but as Bernie said Sunny and Clear.

We're off to IKEA!

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6101020

Our humidity is on its way back up to normal, but there's no sign of rain yet.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (37 min ago)
Temperature 56 F 13 C
Dew Point 51 F 11 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 30.34 in 1027.5 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 51.1F / 10.6C

Today Partly cloudy. Breezy. Highs in the lower 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 20 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6102122

Marylyn, sorry no rain today ! Again sunny and 50 at noon, but I think it was more...it was so unusually warm, more like in April! A friend told me she saw snowdrops in the park..yiippeee! I almost forgot what they looked like!LOL
Here is one from last year.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6102510

Mid 60s here, very strong, gusty winds though so I can't enjoy it outside. Sun is shining and you would almost think it was spring. Be nice if it was. I want a nice long spring and a very short or at least a mild summer. LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 6, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6102822

17* Sunny and bright.
Loved seeing all here~have a great weekend.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6103862

Whew!!! You have no idea how much I've missed all of you! The new modem was delivered about an hour ago and we're now up and running again. There's no way I cna catch up so I'll just start fresh from here...

39F with our high at 50 today. It rained a bit but not much.
Feels like: 39F

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 87%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:32 AM
Sunset: 5:51 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6103900

Welcome back, Celia!! We missed you. ^_^
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6103913

We got 1.5 inches of rain yesterday and last night and a little bit more today.

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on February 06, 2009
50 F
Heavy Rain Mist
Windchill: 46 F
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 12 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
Visibility: 1.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1700 ft
Overcast 4000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6103977

Yeah!!! Kelli! A good amount! :D

Celia, Glad that you're back! I know that you've been lost w/out your computer!

The answer to the trivia is...A
This past may, 516 tornadoes were confirmed, crushing the old record of 399 set in 1992.
Ric, I remember the Xenia tornadoes(sp?)...total destruction.

I've been 'playing' in the snow today...but of course most of it melted when it got up to 45!

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6104088

Joey what a great shot of you playing in the snow.
WOW you look young!

Celia glad you've returned!

Well when we left for IKEA it was 14 when we returned at 3 PM it was 47
Actually by the time we got to Wally World at 1PM we left our coats in the car.
Sunny, no wind and Glaringly Bright!

IKEA was cool!
We spent a few hours browsing the displays and got a great deal on a PONG Chair and Foot Stool for Robyn.
If you've never set in a good bentwood chair you're missing a treat.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39840162

Well off to edit some more photos...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6104374

Lower 60s now and the wind is blowing even harder than it was a few hours ago.

We are now under a burn ban. A couple days ago we were under red flag warnings plus burn bans but now it's just burn bans. This is the driest winter that I can remember. Very little moisture. Our relative hum. gets down into the high 30s which for winter is pretty dry. But as dry as it is there isn't alot of dust on the road and no dust clouds hanging over us. Really weird.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6106206

It snowed last night. Just a dusting and it's melting now. Supposed to get up to 46 and more rain/snow.

My oldest brother got himself a new kitten. His name is Dusty.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6106229

Dusty's cute!!

It is hot here. Still windy and I doubt I will be able to do yard work because of it but I'm complaining...much. LOL.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6106250

This makes 5 cats for my brother. Miss Kitty, Dusty, BC, Billy and Jami. I'll get pics of all of them.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6107077

Awww... Dusty is adorable. :-)

And speaking of adorable, thanks for the JW fix, Joey!! ^_^

Rick, we really like IKEA, too.

Yayy for the rain, Kelli! I love reading your articles, by the way. :-)

We just got back from a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. It's the first CEC party we've done, and I was pleasantly surprised. My ears are still ringing from the noise, though.

Right now I'm going to run the sprinkler, start dinner in the crock pot, and then go out and weed. The dandelions and cleavers (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53011/) are starting to take over. Those cleavers are such a pain every spring. They finally die out, after lots of pulling, grumbling, and whining on my part, when it gets really hot, and then the nutgrass takes over. (groan...)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CST (5 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 53 F 12 C
Humidity 43%
Pressure 30.25 in 1024.4 mb
Wind Speed 23 MPH 20 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling 5500 ft 1676 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks Lightning detector not working. (We aren't going to be needing it today anyway.)
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 55.9F / 13.3C

Rest of today Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Breezy. Highs in the upper 70s. South winds 15 to 25 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows around 60. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6107216

LOL!
Wait till I send Dusty a copy of this Celia!
She'll get a kick out having a Cat named after her...

55 here.
I played w/ fixing my old puter for Robyn to use about all day.
We did manage to get the new curtain rods up in the FPR.
Hospital type from IKEA.
I didn't get enough brackets or connectors though.
So I ordered a few more.

Film at 11

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6107325

LOL That's right! Dusty got his name because when he showed up out of nowhere where my brother works, he was covered in dust. Doug would clean him off and, the next time he saw him, there would be all the dust back again! LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6107329

Been around 32 all day.

I've had two experiences with IKEA. First was a house we did some work on. A new one. I asked the owner if they had any kitchen cabinets picked out. He said his wife had something she wanted. We came back in a month & there was a pathetic mess in the kitchen. She had picked IKEA cabinets. Her husband was trying to assemble them. That was two years ago. I am not sure if he ever got done. They were about the same quality as the shelves you can buy at Wal Mart. I asked him one time what they cost. I had given him an estimate on ours. He didn't tell me the price, but mumbled something about wishing they would have went with ours.

The next time was this winter. A gal we are doing cabinets for, bought a sink there. It was supposed to go with a cabinet. We built the cabinet for it. So we had the sink here. I took out the instructions. There are no words in the instructions, just pictures! Those people must not be able to write! No wonder people have trouble getting the stuff together.

I'll buy American when I can.

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6107348

Wind appears to have finally died down. It is still hot so it has to be at leasy 70 if not more.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6107630

It rained for a short time again.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6107874

CountryGarden, I hate to rub it in to my fellow Lewisviller!! (haha) but it's in the 70's here!!!!!!!!!!
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6107876

I have heard nothing but back things about IKEA & that was in Canada too!!!! ( I am a Canadian)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6108033

A lot of the cabinetry was not first quality for sure Bernie.
Same w/ the furniture. But there are different lines.
Higher price, better materials and craft, higher quality.
Solid wood case and doors instead of chipboard. Plywood backing not Masonite.
The bentwood chair we got appears to be well crafted.
The lesser line was junk.

That's true about anywhere in the non-regulated trades.
For sure a Cabinet Shop should give you a better job.
I wouldn't hesitate to use your shop and a few I know around here.
Pride in work shows.
But there are some bad eggs too... lol!

Unbelievably it's still 55 here at just after 8:30PM.
Rain will be rolling in but we'll see upper 50's for at least 4 more days.
Then mid 40's.
Maybe some snow by next weekend...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6108337

One shop here is using melamine panels put together with the cam lock things. He don't even make any cabinet parts. Buys them all from a CNC machine. That's no better than getting it from China! LOL!

Cool front, down to 24.

Cindy, I'll send you a picture of me on a nice Minnesota beach in July when you have 110 & 100% humidity!

Bernie
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 8, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6108474

Dark/beautiful full moon; below zero.
JW is as precious as ever, Music2Keep.
ric~the icy pods are gorgeous.
kwanjin~Dusty will be joining quite a group; bet he's going to be very welcome.
kelli~good to see there's been rainfall in your area.
A new recipe today: Anglesey Eggs, a Welsh recipe from a Bed/Breakfast in Fairbanks. Leeks, potatoes, eggs, cheese.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6108617

Looks delicious Kiska!

The seed pods are from a Rose of Sharon I'm developing.
Though there were hundreds of pods to chose from.
Here's some shots I'm playing w/.
I still have a ton to edit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157613261716155/

It's 11:15PM and raining lightly STILL 55 !

Ric
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #6108887

45F and cloudy tonight after a windy day with a high of 51F With forecast highs mostly in the 40's the next 5 days a lot of the snow and ice should be melting away.

Ric...Excellent slide show. I really like the photo of the jet through the trees. Some of the Amish craftsmen around here make and sell bentwood furniture.

Marylyn said..."Right now I'm going to run the sprinkler, start dinner in the crock pot, and then go out and weed. The dandelions and cleavers are starting to take over. "

Weeding! Stop teasing me! Right now I'm just hoping the snow melts this week and I can recover my Christmas decorations. (Reindeer, sleigh, angels and lighting) I set out on a search and recovery mission today but the snow was still over my boots so I aborted the mission!

Rann...Wonderful moody photos.

early_bloomer

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 8, 2009
7:46 AM

Post #6108971

Hi, guys! It's been a spring day yesterday, 66 at noon, sunny, clear sky, no wind !
Ric, I like IKEA and we got our chairs from there. They are good for our pockets!LOL
Kiska, yummy food!
The snowdrops are blooming!!!! This is from one of our friends garden...and I got some for my garden too!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6109431

I'll have to go out and see if the 'Drops' have landed here also.
W/ 16" of snow drifted in their area they've been a bit hard to see! LOL!

It's 46 (Wind Chill 41) going for the mid 50's/
Suns out and the avians are doing their Spring Bird imitations.
60's for the next to days.
Seems I should have taken Monday not Friday off...
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 8, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6109598

Thanks~
Adina, the snowdrops are so pretty; ric, your snowdrops are doing well:))
Minus 5F
Sunrise at 8:59am, (about 2/ 1/2hrs from now).
" Unrest continues at Redoubt Volcano. The seismic activity is dominated by nearly continuous volcanic tremor similar to that seen for the last couple of days". copy/paste from AVO site.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6109647

30* and waiting for the sun. It's been thawing here. All the ponds of water in the yard and on the sidewalk have mostly soaked in.

The guy who took our ash tree down from the straight line winds last year came and cut the stump out. I've got the chips scooped out and put in the garden to age before I use it for mulch. Nice small pieces!

I tried to get the full orange moon going down in the west.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6110467

Like Celia, I'm too far behind to catch up. I've had the stomach virus for two days but I am on the mend today, thank goodness.
Joey, JW is precious as always!
Great pics everyone!
We've had a couple of days in the 60's and almost up to 70 yesterday. A nice change from the ice storm we had a few days ago. Some people in the north central part of our state, mainly in the more remote areas, are still without power but the utility guys are working 24/7 to get everybody restored.

Currently 66 F heading for a high of 69. Overcast.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6110585

Thank you, Marylyn. Positive reinforcemnt is always welcomed. The articles are kind of fun to write but also require me to pull together and keep together my attention. My mind jumps around all over the place.

We went to IKEA once a long time ago. (It's way over on the other side of town.) The furniture isn't quite my style but it was a fun place to visit.

We got about a half inch of rain Friday night and Saturday.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on February 08, 2009
53 F
Overcast
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 43 F
Pressure: 30.00 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft
Overcast 4900 ft
(Above Ground Level)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6110780

Cold and getting colder, cloudy with a chance of rain tonight. I really hope it rains tonight. It has been a very dry winter here this year.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6110796

Sunny, Bright and almost 60!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6110810

Marsue, sorry to hear about the stomach virus. I hate those things! Ohhh, perfect weather!

Kelli, are you moving to higher ground with all that rain :o)

Pepper, the sun is just coming out here. It's not very warm yet. We need this rain too.

Dyson, sounds like a beautiful day!

It's only 36* now.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 8, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6110976

Fog in the morning and rain later today. A rainbow appeared afterwards.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 8, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6110992

Joey, JW looks so happy in the snow!
I have 2 conifer trees in my garden. I don't know their name yet. This is the first one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 8, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6111001

The second.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6111048

We've moved here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950419/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America