Farm Journal February 2009

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Is it Un-American of me to start the farm Journal during the Super Bowl.?. Ok.. I'll turn around to look at the commercials, and am planning to watch the half time show.. and I love to watch my Hubby who loves it..

So.. Let's see .. I've been busy.. A couple of surprise baby calves these last two weeks.. and they are both from cows that are over at my brother's .. He is borrowing my bull and said he would keep two cows over the winter for trade.. Tuesday evening my Sister in Law left me a message that a cow was calving.. hind feet first she had called the vet.. I got there late.. It wasn't hind feet first. Calf would have been fine, but I can't blame my Sister in Law.. She is really good with animals.. I went over late in the dark.. Got the Mom and baby in the barn.. dried the new heifer off with warm towels, it was snowing and the baby was shivering a bit.. One of my favorite cows.. One I had raised from a bottle calf and it's her first heifer.. I was delighted..

I am so excited to see a couple of you guys with "hogs".. I grew up on a hog farm.. and read all the posts.. When I retire from my payin' job, I hope to get a couple bred sows..

Last week I got my tractor in a precarious position.. got it out, but broke a light on my fender.. ordered a new part..

Our cousins had someone burn over a hundred bales of hay they had close to the road.. We are sure it was arson.. they poured gasoline and made a complete circle around the hay.. very sad..

I have my skid loader working again.. Hoping to push down more thorn trees so I will have more pasture..

What is everyone else up to?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

trying to get from one day to the next without vapor-locking...........LOL

Almost a heat wave here the last couple of days.........ABOVE FREEZING!!!! I imagine it will all head the other way again soon.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Good Morning All -

Waiting for my cows to calve; I am sure it will be on the coldest and wettest day. This will be everyone's 2nd or 3rd and my bull throws little calves, so we hope all goes well.

Now that DH is done with duck hunting season, he has a list a mile long of chores. We fixed some more fences, brought in a load of bank sand to fill in holes (need a lot more sand), sold some hay, and broke down a temporary receiving pen and moved it over to our farm. As we all know the list is endless. He is already wondering what he has to do next week.

KathyJo - I am so sorry about your cousin's hay - we had some stolen this year right out of the barn where it was being stored. I hope the law can find out who burned the hay. That is simply mean.

Have some good news to report. A neighbor of mine had a stroke a couple of years ago. It has left him paralyzed on one side and has very little use of speech. He had been a long time rancher here (over 45 years) and since his stroke everything has gone down the tubes.

Well, a couple of guys he knows, needed a place to lease for their cows. In exchange for the use of the land, these guys are doing a total makeover. In just two days, they have cleaned out the old barn, made stacks of stuff to burn, to haul off, and to re-use. They also hauled out a mountain of chicken poo - lots of neighbors want that for their gardens.

There are now 11 cows and some calves on the small ranch, and Gilbert is smiling again. He has been so down these last two years, it has been a sad thing to watch. The ranch sort of reminded me of the book and movie "Cold Comfort Farm" before it was brought to life again.

The corner where the ranch is located in our community has always been one full of activity. Until now it has been silent and there have been some things stolen as a result of no one really being around. Sad state of affairs I must say. Now, I think it will be OK.

To all those who await the birth of their new stock, I send you blessing and hopes for healthy little ones.

Melissa

Waddy, KY

WE HAVE LIGHTS!!!!

Got them back Friday night. A lot of folks in Western KY aren't that lucky though. One of my daughter's friends has a hog farm in Western KY. They told her that every utility pole from the substation to their farm is snapped off and lines down. They've got a tractor driven generator that they go from barn to barn with. Run the heaters to warm up the barn, then the pumps to water and then feed, then on to another barn. When that's done they grind enough feed for the next day and then start the night feed run. How long it will be before they run out of diesel is the key....

Another friend works for the state highway dept. He's been driving semi's back and forth with those big generators and gallon jugs of water. They were moving hospital patients out of some of the hospitals down there because they didn't have generators big enough to power them. Hopefully the 50 degree temps yesterday helped things on the power line front. Apparently there are trees bigger than a man can hug just totally uprooted and laying everywhere including houses. I just had a couple days of onconvenience compared to what those folks are tolerating..... I was just so thankful that we had all the cows home from the hill farm and close by so we could keep them fed.

I'm betting Kathy, Mistymeadows, is still without power....

Cut some logs yesterday and took them to the barn so we could cut and split them in the dry. I think they're slowing down on the snow that they were predicting for tonight. Suits me fine.

Someone burning hay, I think my husband would shoot them if he were able to catch them at it, especially since we've been buying it the last two years. There are definately sick people out there.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Hello i lurk around here at times and just want to give congrats to those who are getting calves. :)
and my T&P to those who have had losses with hay and theft :(
What a wonderful thing those men did for that farmer !
Hooray Kydaylilylady has electric. I sure hope the rest of KY gets it back on soon . T&P to them and the familys still with out power.
I learn alot from you all
i m a greenhorn from CA who just got a farm. Well its land with a house , once we get a barn then i think we are officialy a farm ? oh and some animals LOLLLL
blessings
sue

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, it's been snowing here since before 9 a.m., that's quite a change. Joseph will be helping our landlords get their calves ready for market sometime this week, a first time experience for us.

Had my first exposure to the abbatoir this past Friday. I was impressed with how clean it was, considering what they do. I also got to see my first side of beef still twitching, and one in process. I was not ready to view a kill yet, although they had one in the chute. I got a huge amount of beef tallow for processing into soap though, which I am thankful for.

After the layoffs at work, we are being re-organized and I found out today that I will have new duties and be in a new department. Still waiting for all of that to pan out, and I am still thankful to have a job.

So glad to hear that you are back in the electric world KYdaylily; one of my co-workers was also restored to power yesterday, after a week without. Seems there are still a lot though that are without. The things that we take for granted eh?

Everyone stay warm, and congratulations on the calving for everyone!
~Sunny

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good morning. Kathy Jo, thanks for giving us a fresh start. Great that you got a heifer from that favorite cow. This month's farm calendar page shows a lady with a stock shocker in her hand, her husband and bed covers flying, because she has just prodded him. The caption says "the Doctor said I needed to give you something for energy, and I found this in the barn".

I wonder if somebody had a beef with your cousin or if it was kids setting the haystack on fire just for excitement. Kids always talk. Somebody with a grudge might too, boasting after a few beers.

I'm glad to hear that some of the ice storm areas are seeing the light again! We have become far too dependent on electric power, but it sure has made life easier on the farm, in the kitchen, and everywhere. When it works.

Sunny, I had to get the dictionary out to look up abbitoir.That must be a word commonly used in the south. I haven't been to one, but have watched a lot of field butchering which is also a pretty clean operation. I haven't ever tried to make soap, but have read about how the old timers out in the hills used tallow and ashes. The original Foxfire book has a chapter about making soap, complete with pictures. Do you make more than one kind, use it all yourself or sell it? Glad that you still have a job.

Melissa, how nice for that old farmer to see his land coming to life again, junk being cleaned up, etc. It is so disheartening to watch things slowly fall to ruin and not be able to do anything about it, so I can emagine how happy he is to see it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

It's sunny and warm here today - 30s. yesterday we got up into the 40s, but it was windy so still cold. I went out to take some pictures of the outside heifers enjoying a rest in the winter sun and Blaze decided he needed to get up and run. He got behind one and ran her over a fence (wire still under snow) and then back into the pasture through another. The rest saw him coming and ran up past the hay ring and back toward the paddocks. They don't get too far, the snow is still between three and six feet deep in the fields, but Blaze thinks it is a big joke.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Kydaylilylady, So glad you have lights again..

and Melissa, That's such a neat , warm fuzzy story about Gilbert.. Thanks for that one.

and yes, to the question that the hay fire might have been set because of a grudge.. They can't prove anything.. But, I would feel real sorry for anyone if they ever found out who did it.

Kathy Jo

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Most of us have heard of Frosted Flakes...well here is our version from yesterday..."Frosted Steaks"!! All the cows are in the corral now awaiting their relocation to the auction site.

Snowed most of the day yesterday, with more snow forecast today and tomorrow as well. Nothing like what most peeps like Kathleen and Nebraska have, maybe an accumulation of 5 inches total over the next two days, but we'll see. I enjoy it as I don't have to drive in it, or do much outside work in it. If I did, I may have a different perspective!

I built my first snowman yesterday in my life, but alas, the camera had been left ON by some dork (that would be me), and therefore was not available to capture my sublime creation (cough, cough, cough). The Pyr Pups ate it :( It resembled something from the movie "Scream" or "Scary Movie" after the walnut that I had affixed for the nose fell off and left a gaping screaming mouth apparatus in a lovely burnt sienna tone. Maybe I'll have better luck over the next couple of days to redeem my artistic self...haha!

Have a great day everyone!

Thumbnail by Hineni
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL, Sunny. When my eldest grandson was about a year old, his mother and aunt took him out to make his first snow man. Being the overachieving types, they made it quite large and he was terrified by it. The dogs, seeing his fear, all 'marked' it and then jumped on it until they had knocked it down. DGS shouted YAY! and applauded.

Before our minor weekend warm-up, my garden bench was in no way visible. I just looked out and noticed that there is a bump where the back is. I'd say the bench is probably in the area of 3 and a half feet high. This is turning out to be a regular old fashioned snowy winter. The forecast for next weekend is temps in the 40s. Maybe some of the snow will melt and Stan will be able to spread again!

KJo, very sorry to hear about the hay burning. We had someone shooting flaming arrows at barns a few years ago. One of them that they burned down was the oldest barn in the township. It made a lot of people mad, but they were never caught.

The puppies are growing by leaps and bounds. I went out to see them this morning, but they had all just eaten and were too full and sleepy to make more than a little effort just to let me know that they knew I was there. Four of them did sit up, but then laid right back down as if that was more effort than they could handle. They got their second worm pills and vaccinations yesterday, so that could play into it as well. Such very full tummies, though.

We are having a little flurry. It is supposed to be very cold tomorrow before the warm up comes - just so we don't forget that it is still winter.

Waddy, KY

Got about 4 inches of snow yesterday on top of the melted ice. Interestingly enough, it seems to help traction on the ice. Hasn't gotten above 15 today. Should be 50 by the weekend!

DH took his first fall of the season yesterday. The dog thought it was great fun that he got down on her level. She got right up in his face and started licking. Unfortunately this dog's diet is not always just Alpo! Hubbie was trying to get his breath back wondering if he was having a heart attack until he realized that the chest pressure was the paws of a 50 lb. Australian shepherd.

southeast, NE

Good afternoon! LOL - with the above posts. So Hineni - I like your sense of humor. I've been at my present job for 5 years and I think they are finally getting used to my humor. For example, I will realize that I've done something stupid and I will call myself a dumb a**. Only problem is I say it out loud.

I'm surprised that we haven't had any hay burnings, etc. The worst we have is people partying in our fields. Several years ago, a neighbor went out to move some hay and noticed hay was missing. However, it has just snowed and he was able to follow the tracks to the place of the person who stole it.

We had our first calf born on Monday a.m. He was about two weeks early and pretty weak so we're bottling her now.

DH was mentioning about our lack of snow this year. I told him it will come when during high peak of calving. Temps are in the 20's today - supposed to be in the 30's tomorrow and 40's by the end of the week.

Better get back to work - take care.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

First calf born this morning. A little heifer-black as coal. Mom and babe are doing well. Nebraska Jewel, my congratulations on your new calf.

Our weather has been beautiful, but we are several inches down in the rain department. Folks are starting to talk about selling their livestock. Hay purchases are up.

Kathleen I have not offered 'grats on your pups. I just finished reading another book by J. Katz. He is a fine read, and I have learned much about herding dogs and farming in upstate NY. His stories sound much like what I have read here on this forum.

Hineni - I would have loved to see the snowman. I made my first one when I lived in NYC. I had gone on a business trip to upstate western NY and saw my first big snowfall. I also learned about snow angels, ice skating on a pond and falling (alot), and skiing and falling (alot). I was in my mid-30's then. It was such a blast. But I am not so sure if I could live and farm in big snows like I read about here. My hats are off to all those who work in such weather.

Kydaylilylady - hope hubbie is doing alright. I have seen my own take a big slip in the cow manure. Tho' an exceedingly quiet man of very few words, I get to hear the other side when such mishaps occur.

Regards from all here at the farm.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 12:04 PM

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Hoping for some rain this week. Folks are beginning to get a bit nervous as there is very little hay for sale to feed livestock (a friend of mine square baled 43,000 bales this year and it has all been sold!). No rain means no hay means livestock has to be sold off. Seems like we go through this every other year, but this has been two years running right now.

DH and I finished constructing our temporary cattle chute/double outdoor stalls yesterday. When I let the two horses out they ran straight at it and then did a reverse at high speed. Scared the daylights out of both of them. Something new in their pasture!

Next week we will build a similar trap and chute in our lease pasture. Unfortunately we do not have permission to build anything permanent to place our cows in to doctor them or to transport them. So something that we can put up and take down is the best we can do for now. However, thankful to have the land for the cows.

Hope all are doing well in the cold lands -

Regards,
Melissa

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Winter has returned here. After a couple of weeks without a storm, some days above freezing and with bright sun, we were looking at more bare ground every day, and this morning I woke up hearing the wind whistling past the house. I thought of my greenhouse, vents were uncovered last week but the 2 inch foam board was just put behind some straw bales to be handy if I need them again soon, and I pictured those lightweight things being airborne!

When I looked out the back door, there was also fresh snow, so not good for a quick trip outside in bathrobe and slippers. A few minutes later, dressed for the weather, I rescued the foam boards before the wind moved them, but one of them blew out of my hands and I had to chase it. Thankfully, it lodged against a post and a tire feeder for a few seconds, and I grabbed it before it got to the other side of the fence!

This morning I'm supposed to help the neighbor wean calves. I'll be surprised if he doesn't wait for a better day. Then tomorrow we are scheculed to travel to the other side of the state, and return the next day, we might change our plans too. We can change a couple of appointments via phone and go next week.

Waddy, KY

We've gotten a taste of spring here this weekend. It started warming up on Friday and was in the 40's. 50's for Saturday and 60's for Sunday. It was sunny and glorious for a February day. And muddy as a pig sty! Water is running everywhere as the ground is still froze several inches down.

I wasn't too impressed this summer when DH decided that he was going to buy a 4 wheeler for the farm. Really didn't want the expenditure and another play toy but seeing them put 8 bags of feed on it and two riders heading across a horribly muddy field without making deep ruts has to sell you on it's usefulness. And it takes much less fuel to feed now than it does to run a tractor. I'm not sure we need two of them though...:-)

I started some cabbage and broccoli seed last night. Ran out of broccoli seed so I guess I need to get another package. It held a lot less seed than the cabbage package. I'm starting them earlier than I did last year hoping to get them out a little earlier. Learning as I go on that.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Kydaylilylady, we were like your area this past weekend. I hate to tease ya'll snowbound and iced-in folks but we had 77 here yesterday and lower 70's Sat. What a nice breath of fresh air to have a mid-Winter break that sure resembles Springtime!

I had the Troybilt out and broke up some ground for sowing peas and setting out onion plants in a couple more weeks. Cleaned up my neighbors garden so I can plow it one day this week. Also have some flats of parsley, kohlrabi, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce sowed in the g-house. Looks like the growing season has begun here.

I sure hope everyone with cows and horses get a reprieve soon and get to enjoy a bit of warmth, or at least a "no snow" day.

Sending good thoughts to all,
Shoe

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We've had two warming days and are set for upper 50s by Wednesday here. The garden bench is out the of the snow and there are bare spots here and there. Thursday, back to the 30s and snow, but this time of year every thaw lasts a little longer.

We got a 4 wheeler this past December. I'm not sold on it, but there are times when I know it will come in handy. They threw a helmet in with the deal, but I have yet to see it, let alone see anyone wear it.

The heifers have been romping around again, spent some time under the apple trees and in the neighbor's evergreens. Stan is out making the fences sing with electric energy again. The fencer has been on all winter, but when the wire is buried under snow, it's not too effective. The girls have gotten rather casual about the whole fence thing, so he's going to put the big fencer on for a few days, just as a refresher course.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Calves are weaned, but now it remains to be seen if they will stay where we put them! My neighbor had spent yesterday putting out feed for them in their new pasture, and doing some shovel and ax work so that gates would open today, and so we moved the cows down the road behind the feed truck and back the same way. After that I helped with a ewe in the barn. She was stuck on her back in the snow for several hours, aborted one lamb on Sunday and another one since. Sometimes when they lie down they pick a bad place and gravity works against them, or they stay there too long and the snow under them melts.

Anyhow, she is running a temperature, and needed another penacillin shot today. She is not eating so we might have to give her oatmeal and beer in another day or two to wake up her digestive system.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

oatmeal and beer Hmmm sounds like my breakfast i had the other morning. :)
That is a good helpful hint about the oatmeal and beer .

Waddy, KY

That ought to get the old rumen bugs to working!

Our first baby hit the ground yesterday. We tried to breed the heifers to freshen about 2 weeks before the old cows to give them a little longer to get themselves back together before breeding them back. At least it was a warm, sunny day. This morning it's been raining but at least it's temperate. It's supposed to be in the 50's all this week. At that rate we'll see the grass greening up by the end of the week.

Mary, for some reason I never think of Oregon getting as much snow as you've talked about. I don't know why I thought that as you are obviously "north"

Shoe, my intentions last year was to work some ground and lay out some rows to plant peas towards the end of this month. I could just plant and pull a little dirt over them with a rake and not have to worry about working wet ground. Well, the ground never got worked and once again it looks like it's going to be super wet when I need to be planting peas. The story of my life I reckon. It got so cold here this winter I don't know if the fall planted kale is going to come back this spring or not. The joys of farming....

Janet

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Janet, both Oregon and Washington state have wet and dry regions. Both states are divided by the Cascade mountains which run north and south through them. Those mountains cause the clouds to drop most of their moisture on the west sides, leaving the eastern 2/3 of each state in a rain shadow. Weather reports usually deal with the west sides of both states, where most of the people live. Both Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington get about 36 inches of moisture per year, ususally rain. Where I live the average precipitation is around 10 inches. Most of the storms come in off the Pacific Ocean in the winter, and because of being at a higher elevation where the air is cooler, it falls as snow. The weather service doesn't seem to know we exist most of the time.

southeast, NE

Good morning all,

On Monday, temps were in 50's, and yesterday, the temps were in the 60's! On Saturday, temps reached upper 60's as we walked around in short sleeves. However, it is supposed to snow on Friday with chance of 4-10 inches! Hmm, any guesses when new calves will make an appearance? Heifers are due first and they are penned up so if they calve, it will be much easier to deal with. Our calf that was born early that we were bottling learned where his milk is supposed to come from and is nursing quite well now. To quote DH "that is one of the best sites to see"!

We received call over the weekend about a pasture we may be able to rent this summer. It is a small pasture but should hold 12 pair. The only thing is we would have three different pastures of cows and only two bulls. We also heard of pasture that is for sale as a result of a divorce. It is higher $ for pasture standards but it has potential to be development land in the future so we believe it would be a good investment for SIL and DD. Such a big decision!

Over the weekend, DH and SIL worked on fencing. I wonder if we will ever catch up on fencing!

Well I'd better get back to work. You all take care!

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello all -

Had a heck of a storm last night - wind, rain, a bit of hail - and then 30" later it was over. I checked the rain gauge this a.m. and noted that the rain did not even measure. But at least we got some wet stuff. I figured my cows would calve last night as that is how it usually happens - but all were standing at the hay ring munching away - still preggers.

The wind continues to blow and the temps go up and down. I do not think we are even going to have a Spring. One day we will wake up and it will be hot and humid and of course blowy!

Nebraska_Jewel - ditto on the fencing. It is a forever job I think, and I and my DH are newbies to it as well.

I took a fall off of my horse 2 days ago. He zigged and I zagged. My DH and my neighbor saw it happen. Apparently our barn cat raced in front of the horse and he spooked. Next thing I knew I was on the ground, and as I have gotten older the ground has gotten harder. So now I am limping around and wishing I had not decided to take that little late afternoon ride before dinner.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

*sigh of relief here*.......I reduced my bull calf inventory today........took 5 to the sale barn. Most of them were on the smallish side when they were born, and we all know what they would have done to them, so I figured I might as well feed them for a bit till they grew a little more. Then when I could have taken them, it got so beastly cold, then they got sick and I had to treat for respiratory problems, when they got better it got beastly cold again......sheesh...........so, hoping that the calf market isn't totally in the sewer for "not huge" calves. LOL We'll see in a couple days. Still have 3 left here-2 are big enough but on drug withdrawl time till the 23rd, and the other one will be at least a month. I think he has an inner ear infection I will have to dose him for, besides the Baytril (28 days) I gave him a week ago. Moved 5 big heifers out of the calf barn and to an inside/outside pen in the calf barn, so it allowed me to bring 4 heifers from the barn down to the calf barn. Was gettin' tired of bottle feeding month old calves, and they really needed to be where I could start giving them calf starter. So, now, everyone down in the calf barn and hopefully BadEar will drink out of the pail too.

We have started (for the first time of many this year) the 5th Wisconsin season........MUD! Snow melting and making a total mess out of everywhere we have to walk/drive. Now it is raining. And supposed to be snow by the weekend. Yuck.

southeast, NE

Hello all!

It was absolutely beautiful out today. We had five inches of snow on Friday and got out of work early. Lots of mud now.

We had two heifers calve over the weekend. DD & DH pulled one. Our bottle lamb died. It was kind of "dopey" from day one so we think something was quite right with it.

We heard bred cows and heifer prices have really gone up. The last two years the ranchers decreased herds due to various reasons and evidently are buying back. Who knows?

I woke up with some kind of flu like "crud" on Saturday morning. I was out of it most of Saturday and Sunday.

Better get to bed - take care!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We seem to be going from white to brown here too. Temp got to about 40 today and will be warmer tomorrow. Lambs and calves are due starting about March 7, a little later this year for the lambs because the buyer wants them a little smaller but at the same time. Calves are easier to watch for when the cattle are being fed hay instead of out in the larger pastures somewhere out of sight.

Some of our neighbors have a lot of calves already. They sure are cute little guys and just old enough to try to play. I love to watch them run with their little tails in the air.

Waddy, KY

Stupid first calf heifer laid down and tried to have a calf upside down the other night. DH worked with her for almost an hour and got nowhere. Ended up with a C-section and of course a dead calf. DD said the heifer is now our next round of hamburger. More calves should be coming any day.

The wind last week took out my little greenhouse and put a limb on the roof of the house. The insurance agent told me to get an estimate of replacing or fixing the greenhouse and fixing the gutter and removing the limb.

Now that my greenhouse is history I have several flats of cabbage and broccoli that are sitting in the kitchen because it's raining too hard to sit them on the porch today. I'm dragging them in and out of the house until I can get some things squared away. I'd really planned on putting that greenhouse to good use this year....

Anna, what are baby calves bringing now days? At one point down here they were pretty pricy.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We are having a take your pick of precipitation day: snow, snowballs, sleet and possible thunder storms later - whoopee - then it all goes back to snow overnight and for the next 5 days.

KY, Stan sold two cows this morning and talked to the dealer. Here, top of the line heifer calves in the hundred pound range are going for $100-200. Small bull calves are going are going for 5 cents to 25 cents per pound and 100 lb bull calves are going for 25 cents to 65 cents. A little over a year ago, dairy heifer calves were bring $600-700 for newborns. Crazy.

My two eldest grandchildren are coming to spend the night and we tossed all the Christmas decorations all over their room the other day when Stan was getting the desk out of the Christmas decoration closet (don't ask). I guess I'd better go clean it up.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

$30-60 for decent sized bull calves. Mine were big. WEaned, or close to it. had one at least 4 months old; he brought $145.00

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

we sold a week old calf, nice and around 100 lbs. We got $4.

Waddy, KY

Holy cow Anna! You didn't even get milk replacer costs!

Kathleen, we used to get $10-$35 for little Jersey's 25 years ago. For $4 you might as well eat leg of veal!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Yeah, I know.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Wish I was retired and could raise some of your bottle calves.. Hope to some day... Some of my half holstein calves have gained so well, and good to fill up the freezer..

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Trying to remember prices back when I milked 40 years ago. Milk was around $5 cwt. Very good Alfalfa hay delivered was $28 per ton. A good springer cow was $250. (I sold out in 1973 & my whole herd, cows, heifers, calves averaged $475. Registered Holsteins made it possible.) I sold ear corn in a crib to the feed store for $1 a bushel & they loaded & hauled it for that price. Seed corn was $10 per bushel, (now $250 small bag). Fertilizer was $20 to $30 ton depending on what number you bought. Gasoline was 25.
What has went wrong ?

Got a letter from an old friend from Brainerd area where I grew up. In there was a clipping from the paper. One of my cousins lost his dairy barn & 70 milk cows in a fire on Feb 6. I didn't really know him & didn't know he milked cows. He had milked a little early that day so he could go to Minneapolis to pick up his wife who was being released from the hospital after suffering a stroke. Talk about bad luck all at one time!

Bernie

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

I am going to see how much bull calves and little heifers are going for at the auction right now. It seems to me we are getting a bit more than you guys.

KYdaylilylady - sorry to hear about the loss of your calf and the damage to your greenhouse and plants. Mother nature certainly can be a nuisance.

Bernie - As I read in another post, sometimes you just have to look around and see that there are others whose situations are far worse than our own. I hope your cousin and family can hold on to one another through this particularly bad time.

Neighbors cows got out again yesterday and onto my pasture. I had to call the Sheriff's office, again. The man who owns the cows does not live on the property, does not take care of his fences, and his poor cows are starving. The Sheriff told me that if he is reported one more time, then the cows are rounded up and taken to the auction barn. There they are held for a period of time (unk how much time). If the owner chooses to spring them from the auction house, he must pay for food, storage, the cowboy's wages for rounding up the cattle. Or he can sell them and the county gets the money. It has been an issue since hay season ended.

Weather will be in the 60's and 70's during the day and cooler at night. Plants are starting to bud. . .I have not even finished cutting the trees back!

I wish a good day to all -

Melissa

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Bernie, sorry to hear about your cousin - that's tougher than anyone needs. Stan is just leaving to go spread manure and check hay for the heifers for his brother. Bro is mending, but having vision problems yet. Stan is having trouble with a lot of pain in his ankle from the cold, but he keeps on chugging.

We had snow, snowballs, sleet, rain/snow and now all snow and windy from yesterday morning to this morning. I think the warmest we're supposed to get is 25 for the next 5 days. Melissa, enjoy the warm for me!

Anna, you put a whole lot of work into those calves, youzers! Stan gets them out as soon as they are past 'green'. We used to keep them a couple of weeks, but that was when I was out there to feed. Now, it's between 5 and 7 days.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Kathleen, I will NOT sell calves that young. I did have a farm guy that would buy them from me, but he doesn't do that anymore. I need to find another "direct market".......LOL When I sell privately like that, i want to make sure that they are healthy, so keep them at least 2 weeks. Seems like if they are going to get anything, they will get it in that time frame. I would think a sick calf would have a better chance of recovery in their "home germs" instead of being sick in a new home with "new germs". Besides, kinda kills my market if i sell something that will get sick and perhaps croak. So, better all around when I do it this way. Everybody is happy. And the calf ain't dead. :>)

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a good plan if you have the market. The little bulls around here mostly go for city chicken. We occasionally sell one to someone who wants a stock bull. Our herd has a pretty good reputation for being milky. We have one farmer who comes every few years to see if we have a good red and white for him. He's almost got all the black and white out of his herd.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images