Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions: Great Article

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris CompanionsReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
8:18 AM

Post #6081791

Critter,
I love your article on columbines. I use them throughout my garden and this year I wintersowed about 9 varieties, maybe more. I did get plenty of seeds in seed swaps this year and the variety is amazing. My first time wintersowing was the winter before and my best success was with columbines. I transplanted a bunch and by the fall they were doing really well. I should have blooms in this spring.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6082604

Oh, those first blooms are such fun! I've got some year-old seedlings I'll be watching closely, too. Some of my WS seedlings get planted out, and some get overwintered in pots... Columbines just do seem to do well with this method, as you said.

I hope you get loads of new blooms this spring!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6084960

I have several varieties of columbine seeds that I want to WS this year. I laughed when you mentioned how some are labeled--mine say "purple, red, or navy, from Pam's Garden." I do have several in packets that I actually bought, too, but its the ones from friends that I'm so excited to see.

I loved some of the varieties you had pictured. Thus far I only have two kinds, the natives (which really are lovely) and some that are so dark they look almost black. I just planted a bunch of iris that I got in a co-op last year, so I will definitely plan to put some of those new columbines among them!

Angie

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6085344

I'm with you -- my favorite garden labels are the ones with DG names on them!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Columbines as Iris companions leopoldconnecti 22 Feb 3, 2009 1:16 PM
zone 4 winter sowing maddyrose 5 Feb 5, 2012 10:58 PM
Good Article phicks 1 Feb 3, 2009 1:02 AM
Columbines in Berkeley Springs WV ayla2 1 May 21, 2009 5:20 PM
Great info on Columbines, Jill! tabasco 1 May 22, 2009 9:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America