Did the groundhog see his shadow?

There are a total of 272 votes:

I'm afraid he did at my house. Six more weeks of winter here.
(178 votes, 65%)
Red dot

Yay! No shadow here. Spring is on the way.
(58 votes, 21%)
Red dot

It is already spring whare I live.
(18 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Who is this Phil, and why is he so important?
(16 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Southern Hemisphere here. We're headed into Fall.
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

First vote!

Thumbnail by Resin
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can't vote yet... but here is a link

http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

England is covered with snow, it is snowing and more on the way! No shadow here.

Spring just around the corner? It does not feel like it today, that's for sure.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Phil Says "Six More Weeks of Winter!"

Phil's official forecast as read February 2nd, 2009 at sunrise at Gobbler's Knob:

Hear Ye Hear Ye
On Gobbler's Knob this glorious Groundhog Day, February 2nd, 2009

Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of all Prognosticators

Awoke to the call of President Bill Cooper

And greeted his handlers, Ben Hughes and John Griffiths

After casting a joyful eye towards thousands of his faithful followers,

Phil proclaimed that his beloved Pittsburgh Steelers were World Champions one more time

And a bright sky above me

Showed my shadow beside me.

So 6 more weeks of winter it will be.

Hebron, KY

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow. Six more weeks of Winter. :-(

With all the lights on him, of course he's going to see his shadow! duh!

Can't wait for Spring to arrive! :-)

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

It was a no--brainer....been a rotten winter and I can't wait for spring! My house plants are starting to show signs, and the temp was above freezing 2 days in a row...we are on the path!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Phil may have seen his shadow, but General Beauregard Lee of Georgia did not! I'll go with the General...
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/ Click on the "Groundhog Day, spring to come early in Georgia" link under the displayed video.

panhandle, FL(Zone 8b)

Phil would need a spotlight to see any kind of shadow here... overcast and misting rain. Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!

:)

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Of course the sun had to shine today so this groundhog saw his shadow. Luckily I don't pay any attention to such "goings on". When it gets warm and stays warm, spring will be here. I am so cold natured that it can be a beautiful day and I am still cold. Good weather for the roses, tho. I need to get out there and throw out some fertilizer. Surely we are going to get some rain (?) soon.

Ann

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sunny here this morning. 6 weeks from now is March 15. About the beginning of spring I do believe.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Sun shining bright here today......but spring is already here, I think..ready to plant some potatoes this week.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm afraid that after last weeks ice storm, regardless whether Phil saw his shadow or not, we're in for at least 6 weeks of winter...

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if he sees his shadow, 6 more weeks, if he doesn't, then it's only a month and half.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

It was hard to choose an answer -- it's been alternating three days of winter and four days of spring, over and over and over, here since November! I don't mind winter but my plants are so confused I don't know whether they'll do well or not.

Santa Fe, NM

It was cloudy yesterday but sunny this morning. Got up too late to run out out and put a parasol over him. We'll have at least 6 more weeks here. Although we are currently having record day time highs and Very dry.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Sunny here today and a bit warmer. Now I get to clean up all the downed trees and limbs from last weeks ice storm and pray it didn't damage my precious plants! Looks like a bomb went off on the hillside behind the house...

Doug

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Early spring! Yes! This is what happens when you have a 'Gopher Day'.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jimmy the Groundhog from Sun Prairie, WI, who has an accuracy record of 80%, saw his shadow this morning. I believe him the way this winter has gone so far. It's like there is no end in sight. But we're getting closer every day!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I think they should pick blind gophers then its always considered an early spring.

I meant groundhog.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 10:45 AM

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, my daffodils think it's spring - they're already open, despite our nasty ice storm last week. This winter has been a real rollercoaster ride around DFW. Up to 70 one day, then 40 the next. So maybe it's....Sprinter? Wing? Hmmm...

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

lol TexasTam Like that myself 'Sprinter wing' combined together to make your very own special season.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We've been having our typical "false Spring" with a dry and sunny January. Good for getting the Apricot trees to bloom so the next frost can kill the blossoms. If normal holds we'll get some wet, cold, and windy weather soon.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

No groundhogs here. No real winter, either. Any connection? ;-)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

No shadow. ( No sun either). Im calling that a technicallity and saying spring has almost sprung.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'll never understand how we all can have the same Groundhog Day when spring definitely arrives earlier in some areas no matter what. I find it funky weird that they would say that there could be 6 more weeks of winter in FL or TX, for example. IMHO if you have daffs you're there!!!!! I just KNEW the Texas Spring Bulbous Show was ready to burst open any day ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Spring is relative. In Phoenix, for example, it means that the end of nice weather is coming soon and unbearably hot weather is on the way. You wouldn't look for Crocus there either, although I'm not sure which desert wildflower would be the most suitable replacement.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We don't have groundhogs so no groundhog sees his shadow here. Yet I don't think East Coast Groundhogs can possibly predict weather in the west. So does the lack of ground hogs out here mean that we won't have spring? I checked the first one because there was nothing relative to life in New Mexico.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Perhaps that is why we have such dynamic Springs pajarito. We go back and forth between Winter and Summer until late May when it becomes Summer full time.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are right dparsons. I believe the lack of ground hogs does explain our bizarre springs. We are one of the few places I have ever known that has unpleasant springs.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I still don't think we should import them.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

If we have 6 more weeks of the winter we've had, I'm gonna look up that ground hog and kick him in the shins! Little weasel.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No, as I understand it they can eat an entire garden in no time. I think they are related to woodchucks which we do have at very high elevations ( 12,000 ft or so). I can do without them.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Typo in Option #3 ;-)

This Ohio...Groundhog or no..we're gonna get it some more for awhile...

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

As defined in Wikipedia, the groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as the woodchuck, land beaver or whistlepig, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.

Watching Phil's handlers trying to coax it out of its house without getting their fingers chewed off was quite interesting. Why do they need a groundhog anyway? The officials needed only to look down at the ground and see if they cast a shadow: no fuss, no muss.

This being said, I find it difficult to believe that a common field rodent has the gift of meteorological prophecy. But then, I feel the same way about the weather people on TV.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Regardless of what the poor groundhogs may or may not have seen, I've never seen a spring arrive six weeks early.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Cajuninky- you are so right. Where's the accountability for this rodent wizard?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They need to quit invitin' trouble and the stinky little thing sleep til he's in a better mood.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, I hear that the whole Groundhog Seeing His Shadow thing is only 37% accurate anyway!

Here's a funny for ya - 4 yo boy says it's Ground Hog day, so it's a day to have pork sausages LOL
Our pastor said his son told him that one year, and it's now a tradition in their house to have pork sausages on Groundhog's Day lol

-Susan-

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Too funny! The things kids say.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images