Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Did the groundhog see his shadow?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 115, Views: 942
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

February 2, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6081842

There are a total of 272 votes:

I'm afraid he did at my house. Six more weeks of winter here.
(178 votes, 65%)
Red dot

Yay! No shadow here. Spring is on the way.
(58 votes, 21%)
Red dot

It is already spring whare I live.
(18 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Who is this Phil, and why is he so important?
(16 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Southern Hemisphere here. We're headed into Fall.
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #6081846

First vote!

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6081918

can't vote yet... but here is a link

http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm
Galina
Northamptonshire
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6081933

England is covered with snow, it is snowing and more on the way! No shadow here.

Spring just around the corner? It does not feel like it today, that's for sure.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6082067

Phil Says "Six More Weeks of Winter!"

Phil's official forecast as read February 2nd, 2009 at sunrise at Gobbler's Knob:

Hear Ye Hear Ye
On Gobbler's Knob this glorious Groundhog Day, February 2nd, 2009

Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of all Prognosticators

Awoke to the call of President Bill Cooper

And greeted his handlers, Ben Hughes and John Griffiths

After casting a joyful eye towards thousands of his faithful followers,

Phil proclaimed that his beloved Pittsburgh Steelers were World Champions one more time

And a bright sky above me

Showed my shadow beside me.

So 6 more weeks of winter it will be.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 2, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6082089

Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow. Six more weeks of Winter. :-(

With all the lights on him, of course he's going to see his shadow! duh!

Can't wait for Spring to arrive! :-)
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6082174

It was a no--brainer...been a rotten winter and I can't wait for spring! My house plants are starting to show signs, and the temp was above freezing 2 days in a row...we are on the path!

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6082307

Phil may have seen his shadow, but General Beauregard Lee of Georgia did not! I'll go with the General...
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/ Click on the "Groundhog Day, spring to come early in Georgia" link under the displayed video.
bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6082313

Phil would need a spotlight to see any kind of shadow here... overcast and misting rain. Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!!

:)
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6082317

Of course the sun had to shine today so this groundhog saw his shadow. Luckily I don't pay any attention to such "goings on". When it gets warm and stays warm, spring will be here. I am so cold natured that it can be a beautiful day and I am still cold. Good weather for the roses, tho. I need to get out there and throw out some fertilizer. Surely we are going to get some rain (?) soon.

Ann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6082339

Sunny here this morning. 6 weeks from now is March 15. About the beginning of spring I do believe.

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6082348

Sun shining bright here today...but spring is already here, I think..ready to plant some potatoes this week.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6082455

I'm afraid that after last weeks ice storm, regardless whether Phil saw his shadow or not, we're in for at least 6 weeks of winter...
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6082617

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if he sees his shadow, 6 more weeks, if he doesn't, then it's only a month and half.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6082850

It was hard to choose an answer -- it's been alternating three days of winter and four days of spring, over and over and over, here since November! I don't mind winter but my plants are so confused I don't know whether they'll do well or not.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

February 2, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6082897

It was cloudy yesterday but sunny this morning. Got up too late to run out out and put a parasol over him. We'll have at least 6 more weeks here. Although we are currently having record day time highs and Very dry.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6082952

Sunny here today and a bit warmer. Now I get to clean up all the downed trees and limbs from last weeks ice storm and pray it didn't damage my precious plants! Looks like a bomb went off on the hillside behind the house...

Doug
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6082978

Early spring! Yes! This is what happens when you have a 'Gopher Day'.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6082995

Jimmy the Groundhog from Sun Prairie, WI, who has an accuracy record of 80%, saw his shadow this morning. I believe him the way this winter has gone so far. It's like there is no end in sight. But we're getting closer every day!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6082996

I think they should pick blind gophers then its always considered an early spring.

I meant groundhog.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 10:45 AM
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6083361

Well, my daffodils think it's spring - they're already open, despite our nasty ice storm last week. This winter has been a real rollercoaster ride around DFW. Up to 70 one day, then 40 the next. So maybe it's...Sprinter? Wing? Hmmm...

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6083385

lol TexasTam Like that myself 'Sprinter wing' combined together to make your very own special season.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6083614

We've been having our typical "false Spring" with a dry and sunny January. Good for getting the Apricot trees to bloom so the next frost can kill the blossoms. If normal holds we'll get some wet, cold, and windy weather soon.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6083719

No groundhogs here. No real winter, either. Any connection? ;-)
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6083851

No shadow. ( No sun either). Im calling that a technicallity and saying spring has almost sprung.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6083886

I'll never understand how we all can have the same Groundhog Day when spring definitely arrives earlier in some areas no matter what. I find it funky weird that they would say that there could be 6 more weeks of winter in FL or TX, for example. IMHO if you have daffs you're there!!!!! I just KNEW the Texas Spring Bulbous Show was ready to burst open any day :-)
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6083929

Spring is relative. In Phoenix, for example, it means that the end of nice weather is coming soon and unbearably hot weather is on the way. You wouldn't look for Crocus there either, although I'm not sure which desert wildflower would be the most suitable replacement.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6083956

We don't have groundhogs so no groundhog sees his shadow here. Yet I don't think East Coast Groundhogs can possibly predict weather in the west. So does the lack of ground hogs out here mean that we won't have spring? I checked the first one because there was nothing relative to life in New Mexico.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6083979

Perhaps that is why we have such dynamic Springs pajarito. We go back and forth between Winter and Summer until late May when it becomes Summer full time.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6084211

You are right dparsons. I believe the lack of ground hogs does explain our bizarre springs. We are one of the few places I have ever known that has unpleasant springs.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6084380

I still don't think we should import them.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6084391

If we have 6 more weeks of the winter we've had, I'm gonna look up that ground hog and kick him in the shins! Little weasel.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6084432

No, as I understand it they can eat an entire garden in no time. I think they are related to woodchucks which we do have at very high elevations ( 12,000 ft or so). I can do without them.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6084631

Typo in Option #3 ;-)

This Ohio...Groundhog or no..we're gonna get it some more for awhile...

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6084766

As defined in Wikipedia, the groundhog (Marmota monax), also known as the woodchuck, land beaver or whistlepig, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.

Watching Phil's handlers trying to coax it out of its house without getting their fingers chewed off was quite interesting. Why do they need a groundhog anyway? The officials needed only to look down at the ground and see if they cast a shadow: no fuss, no muss.

This being said, I find it difficult to believe that a common field rodent has the gift of meteorological prophecy. But then, I feel the same way about the weather people on TV.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6084789

Regardless of what the poor groundhogs may or may not have seen, I've never seen a spring arrive six weeks early.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6084814

Cajuninky- you are so right. Where's the accountability for this rodent wizard?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6084847

They need to quit invitin' trouble and the stinky little thing sleep til he's in a better mood.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6085204

Well, I hear that the whole Groundhog Seeing His Shadow thing is only 37% accurate anyway!

Here's a funny for ya - 4 yo boy says it's Ground Hog day, so it's a day to have pork sausages LOL
Our pastor said his son told him that one year, and it's now a tradition in their house to have pork sausages on Groundhog's Day lol

-Susan-
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6085221

Too funny! The things kids say.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6085439

Actually, groundhog is quite good eatin'. We was poor.

Sylvain.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 3, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6085500

That's a very important point Sylvain. As far as I understand it Ground Hog Day is not covered under the Geneva Convention so there is no rule that we actually have to follow. Spring has sprung here and I'm going with the flow. Now if only all the snow would get with the program... I agree CajuninKY. Varmits and not even cute varmits IMHO.
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6085529

The groundhog saw it's shadow... but I'm still waiting until I hear Vivaldi just to make sure.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 3, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6085567

For me it's more a Beethoven's 5th sorta thing.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2009
10:08 AM

Post #6086500

Well, I voted that it is alread spring here although he did see his shadow here.. my rose bushes are already growing, temps have been in the 60's and 70's quite a few times already.. I have hyacinths already blooming and many other spring bulbs already growing.. I am sure we will still have lots of freezing temps at night .. but days are like spring.

herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

February 3, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6086581

I live in zone 5 in the Catskills. OF COURSE there are 6 more weeks of winter. Probably more like 9. At least there is a lot of snow cover to protect the plants from all this stupid cold.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6086650

An unseasonal rainy day here, so no shadow!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 3, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6086881

But you don't need a groundhog to do your 2/2 forecasting.

Groundhog Day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 2[1] in the United States and Canada on which folklore tells if a groundhog emerges from its burrow and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If on the other hand, it is sunny and the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks.[2] The holiday, which began as a Pennsylvania German custom in southeastern and central Pennsylvania in the 18th and 19th centuries, has its origins in ancient European weather lore, wherein a badger or sacred bear is the prognosticator as opposed to a groundhog.[1] The holiday also bears some similarities to the medieval Catholic holiday of Candlemas[3] It also bears similarities to the Pagan festival of Imbolc, the seasonal turning point of the Celtic year, which is celebrated on February 1 and also involves weather prognostication.[4]

Modern customs of the holiday involve celebrations where early morning festivals are held to watch the groundhog emerging from its burrow. In southeastern Pennsylvania, Groundhog Lodges (Grundsow Lodges) celebrate the holiday with fersommlinge,[5] social events in which food is served, speeches are made, and one or more g'spiel (plays or skits) are performed for entertainment. The Pennsylvania German dialect is the only language spoken at the event, and those who speak English pay a penalty, usually in the form of a nickel, dime or quarter, per word spoken, put into a bowl in the center of the table.[6]

The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where crowds as high as 40,000[7] have gathered to celebrate the holiday since at least 1886.[8] Other celebrations of note in Pennsylvania take place in Quarryville in Lancaster County,[9] the Anthracite Region of Schuylkill County,[10] the Sinnamahoning Valley[11] and Bucks County.[12] Outside of Pennsylvania, notable celebrations occur in the Frederick and Hagerstown areas of Maryland,[13] the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia[14] and among the Amish populations of over twenty states and Canada.[14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

And here's the info on Imbolc:

Imbolc is traditionally a time of weather prognostication, and the old tradition of watching to see if serpents or badgers came from their winter dens is perhaps a precursor to the North American Groundhog Day. A Scottish Gaelic proverb about the day is:

Thig an nathair as an toll
La donn Bride,
Ged robh tri traighean dh’ an t-sneachd
Air leachd an lair.
"The serpent will come from the hole
On the brown Day of Bride,
Though there should be three feet of snow
On the flat surface of the ground." [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc

And Candlemas:

In the United Kingdom, good weather at Candlemas is taken to indicate severe winter weather later: "If Candlemas Day is clear and bright, / winter will have another bite. / If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain, / winter is gone and will not come again."[9]. It is also alleged to be the date that bears emerge from hibernation to inspect the weather as well as wolves, who if they choose to return to their lairs on this day is interpreted as meaning severe weather will continue for another forty days at least.[citation needed] In the United States and Canada, Candlemas evolved into Groundhog Day celebrated on the same date.

The Carmina Gadelica, a seminal collection of Scottish folklore, refers to a serpent coming out of the mound on Latha Fheill Bride, as the Scots call Candlemas. This rhyme is still used in the West Highlands and Hebrides.

Moch maduinn Bhride, Thig an nimhir as an toll; Cha bhoin mise ris an nimhir, Cha bhoin an nimhir rium.
(Early on Bride's morn, the serpent will come from the hollow I will not molest the serpent, nor will the serpent molest me)
Thig an nathair as an toll, la donn Bride Ged robh tri traighean dh' an t-sneachd air leachd an lair.
(The serpent will come from the hollow on the brown day of Bride Though there should be three feet of snow on the flat surface of the ground)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlemas

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6087545

I think spring has sprung here in the high desert of Arizona, we are getting close to the 70 mark in the daytime.. I almost dred March here as we get our spring rains and where I live it will flood so bad sometimes I will not be able to get to work and have to move the horses to higher ground. The area they are in is in a lower section of the ranch, and I will useally move them into the arena for weeks at a time...
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

February 3, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6087684

Nice research, Hart. Thanks.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 3, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6088068

I think weather lore is fascinating. There has to be some reason, other than believing in magic, that our ancestors came up with these tidbits. We know some really are rooted in fact, such as red sky at night, sailor's delight - red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

"Red sky at night, sailors delight.
When we see a red sky at night, this means that the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in from the west. Basically good weather will follow.

Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning.
A red sunrise reflects the dust particles of a system that has just passed from the west. This indicates that a storm system may be moving to the east. If the morning sky is a deep fiery red, it means a high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain is on its way."

There's another bit of weather lore that says if it rains on Easter day it will rain for the next seven Sundays. I kept count a couple of years ago when it rained here on Easter day and, sure enough, it rained for the next seven Sundays but not on the eighth.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 3, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6088130

I don't know why all the hoopla about a fat little rodent. Feb. 2nd there is always another 6 weeks of winter weather, With Mar 20 usually the first day of the calendar spring is still 7 weeks away. Very few times that there wasn't a cold blast or a good snow right after March 20th.
If he had anything to do with the winter lasting that long around here he would be shot. LOL
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6088356

I have said that saying on many a morning and really never understood it. Thanks hart, I now know what is behind it.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6088566

Hart, I too, appreciate the history behind the tradition. Here in Holland Ohio we have "Holland Huckleberry" a grand tradition of all of 8 years!
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=2400&nm=Huckleberry-Holland

For 364 days of the year some gardeners here take careful rifle aim at the weather prognosticating rodent. But on this one day, he is courted like a king. It's fun. However, everyone in these parts knows that winter weather doesn't relent until late March. Worse, in some years winter returns in mid April to wreck early blooming trees and shrubs. The Great April Freeze of 2007 won't be soon forgotten.
skiekitty
Parker, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6088761

Mid 50s today, nearly or at 70 tomorrow, not a flake in the sky, I hate droughts. My water bill this winter is going to be ridiculous. :(
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6089774

Phil ate the calendar for yesterday`s breakfast so he didn`t look yet.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 4, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #6090752

Note to self: Never discuss magic or garden fairys with Hart. He/she might explain it all away. Hart do you believe in garden fairys maybe just a little?

Seriously I love history and the truth behind myths and traditions. I'm so glad there is now a Garden History Forum where we can discuss interesting things like shadow challenged Ground Hogs.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #6090802

Well, as long as he came out before noon here, because after noon, the sun came out. I hope our 'hog' was an early riser. Can't wait til spring!
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6091856

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=217369

I have snow pics from the 'blizzard' in 93. It is a warm 17 here this morning. I think the groundhog had something 'extra' in his coffee!!! ;)
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 4, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6091876

That's it, That's It! He got hold of some Starbucks. LOL
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6091899

There is a Starbucks in the vicinity of Yellow River Game Ranch! lol
I have some pics from a visit there in the summer, but none of Beau's 'home'. It is a smaller scale antebellum mansion. Too cute!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 4, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6091961

I don't have any garden fairies in my garden, silly. The gnomes and dryads scare them away. LOL

I'm a she, btw. :>)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 4, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6091965

Cool :-)
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6092347

Good stuff, Hart,

In addition to the "red sky" saying, my mom always said "Mackerel sky, three days dry". This is when the clouds take on a stuttered, scaly look like a fish (or specifically, I guess, a mackerel). I've found it to usually be a true prediction as well.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 4, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6092434

Actually, that's not the saying. Using clouds to forecast weather is actually pretty accurate. Mackerel sky predicts rain in the near future, not dry.

Here's the info on the mackerel sky saying:

"Mare's tails and Mackerel scales make tall ships wear short sails." The mare's tails were the wispy cirrus clouds, feathery trails of ice crystals. The mackerel scales were cirrocumulus, clouds that look like fish scales. Both these clouds mark the lead edge of a frontal system that probably carries strong winds and heavy rain. Sailors reef or shorten their sails in strong winds. Grandpa had a corollary to this 'saying' if only one cloud type was present: "Mares tales, storms and gales" or "Mackerel sky, not 24 hours dry."
http://www.geocities.com/bill_fiero/weather.htm

The occurrence of cirrocumulus clouds indicates the distant presence of a convergent zone such as a pressure tough or a cyclone in lower levels; or a frontal zone where cold air meets moist warm air. Vigorous convection and lifting motion bring water vapour up in the sky where the water vapour sublimes into ice crystals, forming the high clouds. Under the influence of atmospheric waves which are often present at high altitudes, the clouds line themselves up and move with the upper level winds, forming the cirrocumulus clouds having a fish-scale appearance.

'Mackerel sky, not twenty-four hours dry' describes the deterioration of weather after the appearance of cirrocumulus clouds. Although it may be bright at the beginning, the weather will deteriorate in half a day's time as the cyclone or front approaches. As they pick up more moisture, the cirrocumulus clouds thicken and extend downward to become low-level clouds which bear rain.

Observation of cloud change is an important tool in weather forecasting. The folklore of 'Mackerel sky, not twenty-four hours dry' reflects the experience and wisdom passed down by people over the years.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/education/edu01met/wxobs/folklore/ele_mackerel_e.htm
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6092478

After reading that from Hart, although now I am quite well informed, I will stick to my sinuses for weather changes. If they hurt it's gonna rain. So simple really.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6092645

Actually, I think there are several versions of this saying - probably a regional thing. Seems there's even one that says "Mackerel sky, NOT three days dry".

This link has some interesting weather/marine sayings and pictures.
http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailing_Breezes_Current/Articles/nov02/court.htm
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6093122

That was a cool link TexasTam, thanks... Is that 3rd picture down the fish scales?

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6093531

Dave,

What you did spell whare or where?

It is already spring whare I live.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6093708

Oops! That was me...I'm responsible for the typo. I'll see if I can edit it...I hope I don't have to stare at it the rest of the week.

Good catch Rusty.
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6093763

Melody, That`s the way we say it in the South so no big deal. :)

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6093777

Well, I'm a proud Southern Gal, but I hope that my written grammar is a bit better for public viewing.
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6093860

I`m so ready for warm weather again. It doesn`t feel like spring here. It was windy and quite nippy this morning!

Have a great week. :)
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6094638

Red sky at night, sailors delight...red sky in morning, sailors take warning.

I've always known a little different version from the one posted previously. I've always heard the meaning to be that red sky at night meant the next day would be windy, and sailors love wind to catch the sails and move them along. (But then, this is windy North Dakota, so the folklore may be biased)

At any rate, I don't trust the groundhog anymore than I do the weathermen on TV. I judge time until spring by when the nighttime temperatures start to rise in a consistent manner without any major setbacks... and the calendar. :) But I still keep a box of blankets by the patio door for emergencies until at least the middle of June.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 5, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6094805

There are various versions of all of these, Snapple. You just left out a word. Sinuses are probably more accurate than anything. LOL I don't know how many times I've said, and been right, "I don't care what the weatherman says. It (is/isn't) going to snow because I (am/am not) having one of my snow headaches."
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #6095460

Melody, I totally understand about the typo--you've got snow on the brain, just like the rest of us in KY, lol. Six weeks? HA! Seems like six months... :(
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #6095470

I don't believe the groundhog knows anything. But I think there's more winter, although here it won't last very long.
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2009
6:15 AM

Post #6100311

It must be spring. Those nasty moles have already started doing their thing!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
7:46 AM

Post #6100408

I am so ready for spring. It was so cold here today! At least we have been blessed with just cold and windy conditions and no snow or ice thus far. My prayers go out to all the folks in Kentucky and other places that are really suffering.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 6, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6101850

It's supposed to be in the 60s on Saturday and Sunday, and will probably be even warmer than here for you Tidewater folks, FlipFlops.

I'm not sure exactly how cold it got last night but it was 10 degrees when I went to bed last night. Quite a difference from what's expected this weekend. Hopefully this warm weather is heading for the people in Kentucky and other places where it's so cold.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6103035

Hooray, it's 51 degrees here in the northernmost tip of KY today, and is supposed to be in the 50's thru Wed or Thurs!!!!!
Planter56
Buffalo, NY

February 7, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6104401

It's not spring until I can walk out side and not see my breath when exhaling :) Or when I see worms on the driveway after a good rain which ever comes first :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6104582

Hey Texas...send real estate catalogs...although I am hedging on the humidity in summer. You guys get awful steamy!

Embarrassed to say, Illinois..and I have seen it snow in MAY. Um...as far as that thar groundsquirrel...many parts are edible, though I have never tried. I already have busted pipes from the beginnings of the so called spring thaw. Twas 20 below just a short while ago. Today, um, 47 I think was the high. Regarding winter...beam me up Scottie...get me out of here!

Heretell, Oklahoma is seeing upper 70's today.. they too can send real estate catalogs!! Looking for something cheap in horse/cattle country! The DH seems to like it there.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6104815

A word about our Texas humidity...Everything is air conditioned here. I can cool off a heck of a lot easier than I can warm up! I know that people up north think that 5 above is a warming trend. NOT FOR ME!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6105115

Annette - 5 above in the middle of winter here is a warming trend! 32 above feels colder due to the thaw and dampness! Even below zero feels better becaue it is a dry cold.

Im one of those not big on air conditioning either.. but freezing to death vs heat stroke...hmmmm send me a real estate catalog!! Im with you girl!

They can go ahead and turn my AC off for all I care I will be happy to play under a garden hose, but mess with the heat in the winter...no thanks. Now about those homes on stilts???!!! Been down there and seen afew of those!
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6106753

Blossom - There are plenty of places around here that don't need stilts. I don't like stairs. A few steps are ok, but lugging groceries up a flight is out of the question, for me. Since back surgery, I can barely drag my garden cart across the flat yard!!!...It's better, but not 100% yet.

By the way, it's a beautiful day! I just came in to take a little break. I've been digging in the dirt! It's wonderful!

Hope everyone out there has a fantastic day!

Annette
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6108040

Hey we had 65 today... no coat, opened the window to the house and it smelled like worms outside!! YIPPY.. sure sign of spring, but then by evening it was that awful burnt bisquit smell of winter...UGH..

My front yard greened up a wee tad, but the pasture is still brown.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6108107

AARRRGGGG! We've still got a foot of snow on the ground, even though it was 49 today. We had 37 inches of snow in January and 17 below.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6110068

We got snow is Arizona last night, after having temps in the 60's and 70's last week... Had to run out and cover the hay... ugggg
guardians
Thomson, GA

February 8, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6110919

I am pleased to report that General Beauregard Lee (GA's answer to P. Phil) at the Yellow River Game Ranch in Lilburn GA says winter is on the way out. WhhooHooo! I'm sooo ready. I think he's right, my first jonquil bloomed yesterday and it's 73 today. I'm not fooling myself, though; I know we will have some more freezing weather. After all, my persimmon seeds ALL had shovels. LOL.
starting2luvz4
Monticello, IA

February 8, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6111148

Am I the only one freaking out that there will only be six more weeks of snow? Looking for some
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6111737

Dontch all just love it when the seed paks say, something really brainy like >>> Sow three weeks before the last day of frost...

Like we all know EXACTLY WHAAAT day that is...

Can we hear a group GRUMBLE!! LOL!!

Our last day of frost one year is Feb 2, Next year is May 10... go figure! I once planted a ton of mum cuttings thinking that awww APRIL 19 was a good day.. So what do I do, I transplant my cuttings to 4" pots the day before and set them outside because well heck, the greenhouse just could not house them all and it was spring, the daffs had bloomed and then what happens..4 inches of hail and a toadtwister. Aint paradise fun!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 9, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6115511

They mean average last frost, which you can find by looking up info on your zone. If you get a later than average frost, either cover or bring inside. Seeds will be fine unless they've already sprouted. In fact, if it says to plant before last frost they probably need a little nip of cold to stimulate germination.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 1:31 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6116003

I know that, I was just trying to make it relative to the current weather in the last ten years...bbut with our weather here in the midwest, aint nothhing average about it anymore! Typically, April 19th was the day, but I have seen it snow in May on Mothers Day.. Then the last few years we have been getting 65 degrees in January which usually it wil lbe cold and 85 degree below zero feels like temps on the windchill index, then this year though the exception with all the snowcover and the clipper blast we just had sending us 20 below! Last year we had floods...

Been here 10 years... never had pipes freeze, this year...WHAAM! Ya just can never guess what is the "average" anymore wiht the way the weather bounces around.. I mean, come one now, look at those guys in Arizona now!! You got our typical weather for the midstates and that was not the case either years back.

So unless you are doing the controlled greenhouse thing, outdoor sowing is a shot in the dark.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 9, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6116052

It's been crazy here too but I think the weather is always crazy. I remember back in the early 70s it was way up in the 70s on Christmas day here. My new inlaws from upstate NY could not be convinced that wasn't normal weather because they figure it's in the south, it must be like Florida. Of course they also thought when they weren't looking I was prancing around in hoop skirts and sipping mint juleps from the veranda overlooking the cotton fields. LOL

It did go down below 0 here a few weeks ago, which I don't remember ever happening. The plumber who came out to see the pipes said it was the coldest in 14 years, so I guess it was this cold 14 years ago. Today it's almost 60. And, yes, the pipes froze but that's not that unusual in my old house either. Blame the dummies who didn't think about cold winters when they strung the water pipes through the unheated cellar and crawlspace.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6116881

Hart, it did get nice and warm in tidewater yesterday. The mercury climbed up to 75 degrees. I was happy as a pig in slop! It was a good mint julep day LOL About 20 degrees cooler here today but still nice at 55 and sunny. Suppose to warm back up tomorrow. Does this every February here. Then all the trees start budding out and the azaleas will think spring is finally here and WHAM it freezes again in March. Mother nature can really pull tricks on you. Went to the nursery yesterday to buy a few more pansies to fill in a couple of spots I missed last fall and you would think it was April by all the folks out buying stuff. Just too early!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6124014

I got 10 inches of snow on Monday and Tuesday. Rare for this part of AZ
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6124050

Today we face the prospect of sustained winds of 60 mph +. Sigh. Batten down the garbage cans. It looks like a rough spring and technically were are still in winter.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 11, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6124074

I've been caught by the first warm day buy plants now bug before. Virginia always has crazy springs so needless to say I've killed plants that way. LOL I had to learn it all over again after moving up to the mountains, where we can get really cold and really late cold snaps.

Pansies are so cheerful, especially after a cold winter, and it's nice to know there's something blooming you can't kill with late frosts. I saw some primroses at the store yesterday too. Isn't it nice to see color?

I am surprised by the nice weather this week. My birthday is this week and it seems like it always snows on my birthday. Maybe that's only when I have plans.

I for some reason thought it never snowed in Arizona, MissJestr, but I see your zone is 7 so obviously it does get cold enough there to snow.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6124077

Raining here, getting the storms from Oklahoma.. least the temps are up and no snow.

Heres the poop from not so ok OK...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6124124

Happy Birthday week 'Hart'. It usually snows on my birthday too, however it's in November and expected. As I look back over the 6+ decades temperatures on my BD have ranged from 0° to 70°. VA is a beautiful place. When taking trips down south we always try to get a stretch through some part of the state.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6124429

Here is my sons Transportation, we dont bring it in the house since snow is rare... He had to shovel it out them next morning... LOL

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr

hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

February 11, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6125374

Thanks, Snapple. You sent us your wind, BTW. I was out in the yard a while ago and it about blew me into the next county. Just got a weather warning from weather.com too saying could be winds up to 60 mph tonight.

I've never been to Ohio but my SO's father was from Ohio. I understand you all are no slouches in the pretty countryside department either.

Your poor little boy, MissJ. I hope he has a sled or trashcan lid to replace the trike today.
nksps
Redwood City, CA

February 16, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6147036

He did here in the San Francisco area!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6147132

Sunny chilly with small patches of snow here and there...the grass is BROWN here.

Wait a few hours, that could change...
starting2luvz4
Monticello, IA

April 2, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6355122

Snowing TODAY and SUNDAY here in Iowa. Te groudhog moved to Hawaii, NEVER to be seen again! :)
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6355176

Hey IOWA... keep yer snow pleeez! Im growing gills now with all the rains

Signed the Hawaian Rabbit!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6355191

OH, case yer wondering.. Ground hog left me 1.5 inches rain 3/29/09 days ago. East side of the grand prairie state.

No moe sno! PLEEEEZ!

starting2luvz4
Monticello, IA

April 6, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6371433

BB,

I'll take your rain for a bit if you promise it will come down as rain. More possible flurrries tonight and snow forcasted for Wednesday.
Those pretty Easter dresses will be hidden by winter coats this year!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6371541

I am not so willing to give up my rain yet, but dang ya and curses to that derned rodent..., LOL! Now I got snow!

Todays weather.. 2 inches of snow on top of the 4 some odd inches of rain we have had all week! Its melting quickly, is heavy and wet.. so should not hurt too much.. I wouldl be more worried if it was a heavy ice storm again.

I wonder who will be on the tail of this thead for the so called last frost date for this year!

My "alleged" last date for the perverbial frost is the 19th of April... so ha! Two more weeks of anything goes.. thats the game, but I have seen it snow as late as May 10th... Mothers day. It can be snow one minute, rain the next, then sunny.. up and down so fast to make yoru head spin. Just when you think, aww put the shovel away.. its baaaack...

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6372426

The last frost date this year for this region of zone 5 is May 16th. Yuck. We have a light patchy snow cover on the ground right now. Started this morning.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6375155

LOL! The race to the tail end is on!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6378166

Anyone care to wager on the last frost date with me? :-) I think mine is sometime in August LOL.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6380213

LOL! Hi Calgary! Some where in your neck of the woods lurks a stallion I used to own!!

So when does your growing season end? And what can you grow?

(Dontcha just hate that groundhog routine!! Course in your country, That could mean you do the ground hog thing on the later part of May!! So the next question begins, when do you start daylight savings time? LOL!)

Today I am back to sunny spring.. but more snow here is on the dawn.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6382621

We start getting frost in September so we have one growing month. Seriously, June to September is great. Out last 'supposed' frost date is your Memorial Day weekend but we laugh at that thought.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6383370

Last frost date here is suppose to be April 15th (right around the corner), but it seems like it's getting colder each day instead of warmer!! Last frost date where I am moving to coastal GA is March 13th I believe.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America