Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions: zone 4 winter sowing

Communities > Forums > Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris CompanionsReplies: 5, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maddyrose
Stoughton, WI

February 2, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6082501

Winter sowing is something that I am just discovering. What fun> Is it possible to make it work in Zone 4? Where would I put containers, still dealing with temps in the single digits at night. Any info would be helpful. This sounds like fun, anxious to try it. Thanks
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6082636

Zone 4 should work just fine... hardy seeds don't care about cold temperatures; when it warms up in spring, they'll sprout, just as if the plant had self-sowed by dropping seeds outside the previous year.

I'd try to find a slightly protected spot, so your containers don't blow around. Avoiding afternoon sun is also good, because your seedlings can cook otherwise on a warm spring day.

Click the links in the article for my other articles on winter sowing, and you'll find some additional information. I also hope you'll consider subscribing... Discussions on the winter sowing forum are very active at this time of year, and there's a lot of great information being shared there.

Good luck with your seeds!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 4, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8994382

I like that combination of columbines with Iris-----going to try it!
Yes, here in zone 3 , winter sowing is the way to go for lots of plants.
Caroline
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #8994388

My columbines have done a bit of self-sowing among my irises, also... and even if a columbine starts growing pretty much right on top of an iris, it doesn't seem to be a problem for the iris rhizome (still, move it a bit if you spot it growing so close). So if you've got a lot of columbine seed, just toss it around "out there!" You're going to enjoy the combination. :-)
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

February 5, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #8996144

I have them each growing separately---but will scatter seeds around the irises.
Caroline
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #8996221

That's what I do... winter sow separate varieties, but also direct sow a mix!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winter Sowing Columbines as Iris Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article roserairie 3 Feb 3, 2009 1:08 AM
Columbines as Iris companions leopoldconnecti 22 Feb 3, 2009 1:16 PM
Good Article phicks 1 Feb 3, 2009 1:02 AM
Columbines in Berkeley Springs WV ayla2 1 May 21, 2009 5:20 PM
Great info on Columbines, Jill! tabasco 1 May 22, 2009 9:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America