-
AuthorContent
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6082772

Ok you are probaly wondering why that is a strange title... Well sit a spell and I will explain.
I went into the feed store on Friday to get hay, and heard the peeps coming from the back room. Every year Billy and I look forward to the baby chicks coming in and spend time back there. We have never bought any, as I thought raising baby chicks are beyond my scope of chicken knowlage.
Well I rounded the corner and there were two big tanks filled one with ducks and one with Chickens... Oh the sight of them were awesome. Black, Yellow and Tan colors all running around peeping... I could not resist the temptation to pick up one. (Billy was not with me so I reached in)..

Well 10 minutes later after much debate, I had picked out 6 of the fuzzy brown with black trims...
They did not have any chick starter for sale, so they gave me some in a bad and said this should get me thru until they got their shipment. WRONG... More on that to come.

With my hay loaded and the chickens in a box on the floorboard of the truck, I went to get Billy from school. OHH the look on that boys face when he saw the chickens was worth it. He gently petted each one and showed all his friends.

So I am driving home and it occurs to me where am I going to Put these little friends, what will it take?
I walked in the tack room and found an old tub I used for storage, pulled out all the tack and thought that might do for a while. I went out and cut a peice of old fencing and put on top to keep cats and dogs out. Put the Tripod from my Camera to weight it down so they could not lift it and fashioned my Grandmothers Quilt Rack so I could suspend a heat lamp over the top of it to keep warm. This contraption resides in the corner of my bedroom.

OK this is where I need some advise.
1) I am running really low on chicken starter and they have not gotten the shipment in yet, what can I give them?
2) I got a 250 watt heat lamp bulb, but am wondering if it is too hot for them during the day? There is a cover over half of the box that the light is not directly on them. Could I have not used a regular bulb when this heat bulb burns out?
3) is the tack box alright for them to move around?
4) how long do I keep them in the house?

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009

Post #6082774

My new friends

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6082775

Stripes

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6082783

Heres looking at you

Thumbnail by MissJestr

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6082849

You can chop up cooked eggs, or mash them into a sort of paste, and feed them that temporarily. You could also make a mushy oatmeal mixture (not dry oatmeal) and they can eat that.

If the 250 watt bulb is too hot for them, they will hang out at the other end of the box. Watch for them doing that. If they stay in the "cool" end, you know it's too hot. They should be around 90 degrees now, and then drop by 5 degrees each week. I keep mine in the house and after about 8 weeks, no more heat lamp. Our house is at 62 degrees overnight.

Tack box looks fine.

I keep mine in the house until they are fully feathered and able to stay warm outside on their own. Here, that wouldn't be until April. Where you are, it is probably sooner than that. I would still give them 3 or 4 weeks indoors, since they don't have a mom to cuddle them at night. Others in your zone may be able to offer more help in that regard.

And BTW, they are adorable!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6083276

How about Corn Meal? or the Maze they sell at the store, isnt that ground up corn?
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 2, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6083533

Hey Miss Jester: Back in November I hatched two new babies and like you could find no Chick Starter due to the time of the year. I took a jar of regular chick crumbles and put them in our vitamix and ground them up. They have been on that every since, with no additional vitamins. They are healthy, large and full of vigor. In one more month they will be ready to be with the rest of the flock. Hay.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6083554

Cool I will see if they have that, I only have a bag of laying crumbles left over from my girls.. never threw it out and it is not molded or anything.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 2, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6084018

TRY YOUR WALMART,MINE SELLS CHICK CRUMBLE UNTILL YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU WANT.WHEN I GOT MY CHICKS LAST SPRING I GOT MEDITCATED CHICK FEED BECAUSE THAT WAS WHAT THEY RECAMENTIED.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 2, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6084021

i forgot to mention it is in the dog and cat food section of walmart here
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6084070

I think the protein level in layer crumbles is too high for the chicks and will be likely to cause them kidney problems.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6084127

Is scratch the same as chick crumble?
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6084185

No, scratch is seeds and cracked corn mixed together. Crumble is different.

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6084212

Chicks need 18 to 20% protein feed, scratch has about 8% protein.

If you can get layer crumbles at that % of protein level, they could have that.

I can't remember what causes the kidney problems and I can't find it now...I think it must have been something else I was looking at. For chicks, high protein is needed for good growth.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6084370

Oh CMoxen you are my Chicken Hero...

I do think with help from my chicken friends, Billy and I will be having chickens running around the yard, and he will have his chores back to do. Water and feed chickens and hopefully gather eggs...
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6084908

MissJestr, those are adorable babies!!! I know Billy is in heaven!
I have seen laying crumbles at 16, 18, and 20 %.
How long before they get the chick starter in? My walmart does not have anything for chickens. I am jealous!!!
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6085548

It's hard to resist those lil peeps! Your babies are adorable. Did the feed store say what type they are?
Wow that was bad planning on the feedstore! You'd think since the chicks were coming in they'd been stocked up on the starter. Hope they get it in soon for you. Do you have a TSC nearby? We've picked up feed there before too.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6087307

I went to Wal Mart yesterday, and found chick starter at 18% protein. It is the Medicated like Green 04735 said. I looked at the other feeds they had there and none of them were that high... It was only 3 bucks for 5 pounds, so I bought me 20 pds.
The chickens are doing well. We have named 4 of them, Stripes, Chipmunk, Happy and Pickles. Still have two more to name. Billy is naming them, hence the intresting names. I looked when I got home and sure enough they were out of the light in the box, so I raised up the light. It is going to hit 70 degrees here today, with our lows in the 30's. I will lower the light at night, and raise it in the daytime.
They said they were Americana's, I have done some research on them and it is my understanding they lay different color eggs... That would be cool and yep Billy is in chicken heaven...
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6087410

Yay! I love the fun color eggs. I have Ameraucanas (well they are technically Easter Eggers, which probably yours are too, but I don't want to get into that whole discussion on genetics and all). They lay light blue eggs, some more turquoise blue than others. I also have some that lay light olive green eggs, and some that lay a kind of pinkish egg.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6087469

Easter Eggers intresting, too bad they would not be laying by easter, that would save me from having to color the eggs. Are the Ameraucanas hearty chickens? I plan on moving them from the house when I can to the front yard until around may or june when I will move them to a coop, they should be about 5 months by then.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6090354

Oh how cool MissJestr! I was thinking Ameracaunas.. or EEs cause in your first pic I see that lil hint of a muff..

Here is a pic of mine when I first got her!

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6090363

I'm not sure if this is the exact same chick.. (I had 4) but the other one was the same color.. (roo) so I sold it..

They are the blue/redish ones.. the others are Rhode Island Reds.

edited to add.. they are 3 months old here.. and they are Feed Store Chicks.. :) I'm so happy for you!!!

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6090457

ZZ! Those blue-red ones are Ameraucanas/EEs? Totally cool! Mine don't look like those at all! I love the way they all look so different.

Yours look like my blue laced red wyandottes (before they got the plague of 2008 and died).
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6090473

They sure are beautiful! (Blue ones) They almost look like the blue Andalusion mix I have. Foofoo broody pants! Lets see if I can find a pic. I love EE and Ameraucanas. I would love to have the colored eggs!!! sigh...

Thumbnail by sewincircle

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6090559

Oh wow! Foofoo Broodypants is Gorgeous!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6090672

I only have one left.. and I've got to get a better pic of her.. she has huge muffs and is my favorite of all for holding.. she is so quiet and sweet.. She is about to start laying now.. she is making nests, going in and out.. acting just a bit confused.. I just love her!
Yeah.. I got her at the feed store for $2.80 Last August.. :)

Here is another pic of one of them..

Thumbnail by ZZsBabiez

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6090703

I can't decide if those are partridge markings or not...very cool!

I wonder what color eggs she will lay for you?!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6091938

Aww the chick pictures are awesome and those are some awesome looking adults.
I got these for 2.50 a peice. We are having so much fun with them, we talk to them everytime we pass the cage, Billy gets to pet them every day and they are starting to respond to us talking to them. He has named the other two chickens, and I swear I must have the strangest chickens names ever..
Stripes, Chipmunk (Those are the two I named)
Pickles, Happy, Spiderman and Speed (These are the ones that Billy named)
I found out when I got them on the 30th of January, they were 2 to 3 days old so we are saying thier birthdays are on the 28th of January. The Healer dog watches with and wants to play with them, so far she has not gotten into the cage. I am hoping that she will loose intrest in them as the newness wears off. The cats have lost intrest already.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6092617

They must be very active with names like those. :-) Billy must be a very happy boy! My nephew, 5yrs, just found out that the turkeys and Cuckoo Marans are coming in a couple of weeks. Now he's calling the Post Office the chicken store again!
I'm so glad that you found some starter for them. It must have been nerve wracking trying to figure out what to give them. I'm going to the feed store this weekend to pick up the starter. After reading what you've gone through I want to make sure I have some on hand!
Pics of my brood from last oct(australorp in the very front, then the two directly behind are EE's:

Thumbnail by saanansandy

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6092635

I hope they are colored.. I do see some pretty bluish legs now.. Funny how they change color as they mature.

Darling chicks there sandy!

I'm so glad Billy has chicks to watch them grow.. it's so great for kids. :)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6093097

Right now I can tell them all apart, Chipmunk and Speed look alike, but Chipmunk is fatter. Stripes has diamonds on her head, and Happy has alot of Yellow on her. Spiderman and Pickels look too much alike and will have to wait to see who comes to thier name.
LOL not sure when they get older if we can tell them apart, we will see.

saanansandy, If you have a walmart, you can check there for the feed. I was suprised at what our walmart is carrying in the way of feed not only for chickens, (they have scratch and lay feed and cracked corn) but for livestock and horses as well. Our walmart even has a small section of fly spray and small tack items that are really cheaper than the feed store. Thanks for sharing the pix of your chick...

Billy is happy and has a blast with them, but I will let you in on a secret, I am having a hoot watching them grow from day to day. I notice little changes in them, how they crane their necks to listen to us when we speak, to the wing growth and how I think soon they will be flying. I can sit there for hours just watching them. Today we will change out the hay in the bottom of the tote, and It will be Billys job to line the tote with the fresh hay and set the feed back in there. It is great for him to do this, and I enjoy the fun we have together.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6093307

I try to find marks on their beak to tell them apart. That will stay the same for a LONG time.. . The colors, size, etc is going to change so fast, if you are away from them for a day.. you will get mixed up! LOL

Don't you love the way they do lil "poppin cock fights" ?? LOL It cracks me up.. like.. I'm bigger, No, I'm bigger, NO I'm bigger... okay.. LOL

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6093797

LOL I watched that too, its like they try and stand up on thier toes to make them taller and fall over.. I will look tonight for the beak signs.
I was reading somewhere you can tell the sex by the top of the head color, is that true?? How do you tell the sex at this young age? I was told they requested all hens, but well I really dont want 5 roos and one hen. So am I just going to have to wait?
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6094309

Depends on the breed as to whether you can tell by the top of their heads. For example, barred rocks have white spots on top of their heads. If they are smaller and well defined, more likely male. If they are larger and diffuse, more likely female. With yours...I'm not sure...
Lazy_Ladies
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6095313

MissJestr,
They are SO adorable! I love their markings. I also love my Americauna. I hope they are just as sweet and productive and she is. She is truly a doll. I also really like Billy's names. That'll be so fun to holler in the chicken yard. HA!

Looks like Claire, et al, to the rescue and you are doing great chicken-mama!

Kristin

Thumbnail by Lazy_Ladies

saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6096044

I used the chick flipping method this last time and it was pretty accurate...now where is that thread?!...
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6110632

Question..
The chicks are starting to fly about, is the tote going to be big enough for them until I move them outside in 4 weeks? They have room to move around right now, and when they try to fly they sometimes hit the sides. I know it is tall enough, but have conserns it is long enough.

Thanks in advance
Roseane
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6111213

I would play it by ear. You have 5 in there. I have the same tote and have 6 in mine. I am hoping it will last but if not I will have to split them up into another tote. That would be sad. Mine are not flying in the one batch yet but they will begin practice soon. ;)
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6112397

I'd give them something they can fly up onto, like an old cardboard box (tissue box?) or something. Just to give them something to practice flying up and down from. I don't think it's a problem hitting the sides - they are just learning.
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
11:16 AM

Post #6113761

Absolutely!! I still bump into walls walking! ;)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6114632

I will find a box of something for them to fly up to... They are getting so awesome, I could just stare at them for hours...

Thanks
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6114757

I do too!! I have mine in the living room and watch them instead of TV half the time. They are more fun to watch in my opinion. hehehe
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009

Post #6114791

I know it! Imagine watching 87 of them in a big aluminum tank. It's totally addicting. And as of this morning, it's 88. A new Ameraucana hatched from one of my own girls' blue eggs. It is black with a chocolate brown colored head.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6115187

Awww That is cool Cmoxon. I dont know if I could handle 88 or them, these 6 keep me going. I am constantly getting after the dogs for trying to get in and play with them, I think 88 would drive my heeler crazy. Now that they are getting older, I noticed that 5 of them have the tuffs of fuzz on thier face,like cheeks, but Stripes does not. Could she be a different breed? Which is totally fine with me, I am just happy they are healthy and getting older. I want to let them out to get pictures but not sure how I would corral them back in after that. I can put my cats in the bathroom, the dogs outside and no harm would come to the chicks, LOL I think I will try it this afternoon. Cant think of a better way to spend a rainy day.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6115225

The cheek puffs are definitely suggestive of the Ameraucana (Easter Egger) traits and so that would be consistent with what they told you at the store. The one without the puffs could still be one - not all of them have the trait. That is one of the difficulties with the "Ameraucana" breed.

There is a debate of sorts between what is really an Ameraucana and what is an Easter Egger. There are lots of chickens out there that are sold as Ameraucanas that are actually what they call Easter Eggers. There is a little article on it in this Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameraucana

This PDF file is a very useful description of the differences between all three types (Araucana, Ameraucana, and Easter Egger) and will help you figure out more definitely what you have. See especially the chart on the last page.
http://www.apa-abayouthprogramsite.org/Edu_Material/Breed%20Info/Easter%20Eggers.pdf

Hope that helps!
Claire
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6115372

That was some good reading and if I judged it right by looking at the pictures that I found on a link from that last link http://www.ameraucana.org/
I think I have some Blue or Sliver... Got to check when I get home tonight and get out the camera.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6128740

New Pictures of the chicks all of them

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6128741

3 of them

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6128745

My favorite stripes

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6128749

Eyes on Spiderman

I see the dark leg color on this one.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009

Post #6128752

Love this one Pickle

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009

Post #6128757

Sweet Happy

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 10:13 AM

Thumbnail by MissJestr

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6129083

Oh so cute! I think Pickle is my fave!
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6131358

I just love the colors!!!! They are beautiful. I like Happy!!!!!
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6132323

Wow they are getting big quick. I like stripes too!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6132814

They are like having new born babies in the house. The last few nights they played all night I swear. I think they sleep when I am at work on purpose. But thats ok, I am enjoying this.
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6132951

LOL. I feel the same way. Mine do eat a lot over night and are always out of water by morning. hmmm suspicious!!!! Chicky party??? and i said NO friends over!!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6161498

Updated pictures they are getting feathers now... The fluff is flying...

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6161503

another one and yes that is a car for them to perch

Thumbnail by MissJestr

saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6164298

Gosh they are getting big. I love the "cleopatra egyptian" eye look!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6164684

I went to the feed store yesterday where I got them, and was going to get some more. They did not have anymore girls that looked like my girls. They actually were not as pretty, no tuffs on the face and no pretty colors. So I went home empty handed...Maybe around easter when they get the new shipment in. I think the chicken fairy has waved her wand on me giving the hankering for more chickens...
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6164738

I think the chicken fairy is ensuring that you end up with the correct chickens, and will bring those into your life at exactly the right moment. She's very good at that.
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6168867

Is that Lingernot?? Great! attach your thread link. ;)
They are getting so big! I love the eyeliner! Beautiful!!!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6169423

Yes that is Lingernot from the great state of Arizona... He likes the chickens. Here is the tread to read about his adventures. He is on his last stop before he heads back home.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953784/
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6172908

Miss J what did you decide these chicks were? I would swear that you have been in my brooder and taking pics of my 6 chicks. I hatched these out and was told they were RIR's I am not to sure of that now. i do have 1 that is the red color but 5 are the black brown rust color like yours with the stripes.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6173247

I was told they were the Americanas (Ok I cant spell I admit it) So I am really hoping they are the ones that lay the colored eggs.

OH NO Luvs, you caught me... LOL well not yet anyway. My son will be stationed in Ok in 2 months, and then I will be making a trip to see him. I went back to get more, but they only had the yellow ones without the tufs so I did not get any.
Does yours have the tuffs? 5 out of 6 do.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6177352

No no tuffs, do your's. It is hard to tell in the pics.

Well then when you come to Oklahoma We would love to meet ya over a cup of joe. Is he going to Tinker?
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6212026

Ft Sills is all I know luvs, and I am planning a trip that way in August, It will be around the rodeo that they have there. I am also looking for a horse trailer and hope in Ok they are cheaper.

QUESTION ABOUT CHICKS if I may...
Ok the chicks are about a month old, now its time to take the red light away? I heard somewhere that it may cause them to freak out and attack eachother as the red light was a security blankey for them. Is this true?
Now the weather has turned to 70's in the daytime and 40's in the night time, when can I place them out side??
Can I take them off the medicated chick starter since I found some that is not?
Thanks in advance
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6212130

MissJ, if the chicks are a month old, you can take the red light away as long as the temperature remains between 75 and 80 degrees. You are supposed to decrease the temps by 5 degrees per week, so 95 the first week, 90 the 2nd, 85 the 3rd and 80 the 4th week. I have taken the light away after 6 weeks with no problem. As I understand it, red light *stops* them from attacking each other because they can't see blood under red light, whereas under white light they can see blood and it's an attractant. I have never had trouble with chicks attacking one another though, with or without light. I think that may be more of a problem if they are very confined or underfed? I am not sure. I have just not seen it personally.

How much of their body is covered in feathers? I would not put them outside until they are basically "fully" feathered" or at least 90% of their body is covered in feathers (not fluff). Also depends on whether their coop is enclosed and will be warm enough for them - they will huddle at night - or if it is more open and possibly drafty.

Definitely you can take them off medicated starter. I only use that for the first 2 weeks.

Claire

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6212257

Thanks Claire, I have been raising it up every monday. They look like they have bunches of feathers, I have to clean out the box tonight, I will check them out real good. I thought about taking an old dog carrier and attaching it to a wire run and putting it in the coop with the older birds, so they are getting use to the outdoors, but not out with the others. The dog carrier would be like a mini coop and small enough for them to huddle tightly.

I have a half of bag of the medicated left, I will mix it with the non medicated and use it all up.

Thought about you yesterday when I was riding my mustang across the desert. I found some catcus patches and am waiting for them to bloom and then I will send you some pictures. Also watch the mail, Tomorrow Lingernot is sending you a suprise,
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6212435

Oh wow! Real cactus blooms in the wild! That is so neat. I have this one cactus that can handle the Iowa winters, called Opuntia humifusa, and it flowered last year for the first time. To me, that was just amazing. It was a yellowy-peachy bloom. I wish I could have more kinds of outdoor cactus here. They are neat! I can't believe Lingernot is sending me a surprise! He is the nicest little gnome I ever met! What a treat! I shall keep my eye on the mailbox! Thanks!

I think the dog carrier is a really good idea because that way the older birds can't pick on them either. It will give them a week or so to get adjusted, and then I'd let them out, but keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get mobbed. I've had no problems with mine, but it's best to watch anyway to make sure the older ones don't pick on them too much.

I hope you will show us a picture of the chicks again! It's so neat to see how their feathers come in!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6212581

Lingernot has been a big help, I put our last weekends project on his topic, it was a hoot to do.

here is the link in case anyone is not familiar with Lingernot.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953784/

edit for link

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 2:56 PM
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6213326

Thanks for the link MissJester and i love your babys
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6215405

Miss J, Ft Sill is in Lawton Oklahoma. That is about 40 miles south of Oklahoma City.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6215695

How far from you Luvs?
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6216322

Oh about an hr and 20 minutes
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6216623

Road Trip ??
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6216638

YEPPERS Road Trip... WHOOOO HOOOOOO in August so I can attend the Rodeo...
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6216687

You wouldn't enjoy me on a road trip i like to stop at all the fruit stands and flea markets and plant nursery's i love buying new plants i don't have and if i see a chickens for sale sign i got to stop.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6216692

Oh Harmony, I think you would make a perfect traveling companion...
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6216696

Are you sure?
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6216700

Oh yes, I like to stop at out the way flea markets for little treasures...
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6216703

OH goody so do I ^_^

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6216758

Me too!!!!! I specially love the fruit stands and nurseries.!!!!!!

Just leave a couple days early.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6216832

Wren i have bought some lovely plants and bushes at nurseries and the roadside stand the best ones are those when vegetables are in season you can get alot of home grown fresh vegs.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6216959

I cant wait to meet you, but if it is the end of August I probably wont be able to. Might be AT the hospital with my new grandbaby.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6217375

Me too. DM and I go on rambles and you never know what you will find.

I missed the post. Where are we going? LOL

Right now I have a dog telling me it is time to go outside and play. If he bites my feet one more time I'm going to send him on a trip. LOL

Thumbnail by wren107

Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6218978

Rambles that sounds like fun ^_^

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6219574

They are. We would pick a direction and just go. The only rule is we would have to be back by night. Some time we would go to a place we heard of. Gardens, museums, nurseries, restaurants. There is a great seafood restaurant in a little place with a big name on the Gulf coast Stainhatchee, Florida. Citra, Fa has a peach orch., Tallahassee, Fl has a great state garden and a couple of really great nurseries. For the last 3 years do to my late DD we had not been able to go but now we are starting again. Only problem is DM is having trouble walking, so we have to go places where we can use the wheelchair or the distance to walk is small.

Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6219897

That sounds like such much fun if you lived close to me i would be in the backseat and i love dogs and mothers so i would fit right in LOL

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6219927

Let me know if you are every down here and I would plan a few trips or if you are ever in Florida any where from Jacksonville west to Tallahassee, south to a little south of Orlando and I may be able to tell you about the area.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6219944

Thanks i do hope one day i'm either coming your way or you coming mine so we could meet in person ^_^

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009

Post #6219990

My sister lives west of you in Dallas, Ga so we may be up there when it warms up, unless she is laid off-she works for Nissan.
Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6220008

Oh i hope your sis doesn't get laid off so many are loseing their jobs and homes it's so sad :(

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6220024

She has been with the company around 40 years, she thinks she will be ok if things turn around
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6275303

New Home for chickens...
Moved them out to a old rabbit hutch that I converted to a chicken hutch.. I used 1/2 pound of nails, and patched the chicken wire. Then I moved them out to the front yard, and would you now it the temps dipped at night to freezing. So I still leave the light on at night.

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6275306

another view

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6275308

LOL I had fun doing this

Thumbnail by MissJestr

sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6276752

Look how big they are getting!!! WOW. They are turning out to be very pretty birds. Do you know if they are all girls? :D
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6276795

Yep there are getting big, but I really dont know the sex. I was counting toes but found out that may not always work...
I will take the camera home tonight and get some pictures without the chicken wire. I cant tell them apart anymore...
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6276817

I bet. They changed so much since they lost their baby fuzz. ;)
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6276930

Billy was gone for a visit in Cali for a few weeks, and when he came home, he said they were not his chickens, they were big chickens... I laughed so hard... I told him they grew up just like him.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6277013

You have to look very close.. but the roo will have 3 rows to it's comb, where the pullets have one row. The middle will be big and the two on either side are very small at first. It's hard to see.. When you see it for the first time, you will know for sure..

Good luck!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6277044

Only one of the chicks looks like it has a comb right now... OH I feel so chicken ignorant...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6277341

We all started out not knowing... We are here to help eachother, and enjoy chicken talk, not judge.
I just learned about the comb thing one day sitting around playin with my 2 blues... and noticed one had 3 rows.. They were about 3 or 4 months old at the time.. no other signs that the other was a roo... they looked identical!! Up until that point.. I had no clue.. so I'd guess that yours are still very young to start showing a comb thing yet.. Pea combs are weird.. LOL

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6277799

Hope she doesn't have any rose combs. LOL Both my bantam roos have rose combs.
What do you mean when you say "rows"? I am trying to figure out what my 2 chicks are. It's about time to put them out in the chicken yard. They are almost too big to fit through the wire and escape. They wouldn't actually escape cause the barn cat would get them.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 8:49 PM
sewincircle
Elbridge, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6277814

The roos combs get color much earlier than the hens. Thats one way I know also. I think the different breeds have different characteristics. ZZ's right. We are all in this to learn and to glean from each other. :D FUN LESSONS THOUGH! hehehe
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6277837

Jester
Your chicks have really grown. What kind are they?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6278490

Only a pea comb is the one that gets 3 rows.. when it starts to grow.. at first, I think they all look the same.. A rose comb is different.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6280217

I was told they were americauna's but buying from the feed store you never know. I went to take pictures yesterday, and had a dead battery on my camera.. I guess I took too many at the JR rodeo the other day. It is now fully charged and I will get some tonight.

Only one chicken looks like it has a comb, and it is the one who is most friendly. That would be a good thing if it is a Roo. The rest of them have no signs of a comb on thier head, they are smooth.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2009

Post #6284734

I hope you were lucky enough to only get 1 roo in the bunch. That would save you work later.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6289788

Funny you should say that, I think I have one...

I was feeding this am and heard a strange noise coming from the coop. I ran around thinking something was wrong and here was this chicken tryine to crow... Could the ages of these chickens be wrong? at what age do they start to crow?

Here is a picture of the suspected Rooster with Billy Yesterday, it was the first time I let them run outside the coop since I was off yesterday and could keep an eye on them.,

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6289789

Front view

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6289795

side view of Roo he is the only one who has the big comb and I caught him this morning trying to crow, is he old enough??

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009

Post #6289798

Coming out

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009

Post #6289799

more

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009

Post #6289801

girls I think

Thumbnail by MissJestr

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6290325

Well well, a difficult guess! The comb does have a pinkish tinge. There is no sign that I can see of neck or saddle hackle feathers, which have pointy (instead of rounded) ends. But, it may be too young for that. I don't want to make it sound like you're crazy, but are you sure it was a crow? Did it sound like a broken party horn? Because sometimes when their voices change (hens I mean) from peeping to clucking, they can make funny noises. Not really crowing though. If he was doing the neck-up stance and being a broken party horn, then it's a crow.

They all look awesome though - really healthy and perky! Way to go!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #6290337

He was doing the neck-up stance and sounding like a broken horn, that is what took me by suprize... I just stood there and watched him again...I just did not know that they would do it this young. He can hear my other rooster that is out in the big chicken yard.

I will try and get you a picture of his neck. He does herd the others when they were outside yesterday. He was the first one out of the cage to check it out. I really like him and if he is a Roo, then I am so lucky cause like I said, he is very gentle and will be a good boy. He treated me and billy to a show yesterday afternoon when he took his first dirt bath. I at first thought billy had hurt him playing with him, so I picked him up and put him on his feet and he went a few steps and was ok, Then he went back to the dirt pile and continued his bath... It was such a hoot and then Billy tried it as well. He was one dirty kid.
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6290351

Wow, he's maturing early then! Way to go! I think the dust bathing is just the funniest thing! The sunbathing makes me laugh too. Especially when they lean up against the sheep. I once thought one of them was dead, but she was just sunbathing!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6290483

Is that a good thing that he is maturing early? They look kind of big to me for being maybe 7 weeks old, could they have been wrong about the ages of them when I got them?

PS Hey Claire, what can you make out of horse hair??its not a joke, but you being crafty and all I will have an overstock of it since the weather has turned nice and was wondering..
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6290520

It's a little hard to tell from your pictures on their size because there isn't much to use as a scale except the water bottle and Billy (though since I haven't really seen him except in pics, it's hard to have a really good sense of his size too!). Here are my young Speckled Sussex that hatched at the end of January, so they are about 7 or 8 weeks old. Are they kind of the same size? They look about the same to me.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6290548

Yep about the same size. It the front one a Roo? and is that what the comb looks like on a roo
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6290559

Yup, he's a roo, and the back one is a hen. That is what a speckled sussex comb looks like, but there are so many comb types...I should take pics of more comb types at home. I have some weird ones coming on some of my barnyard mixes! The roos always seem to get more pink earlier than the hens. Also, you can just see his wattles starting - a little pinkness under his chin on the sides.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6290592

Thats what wattles means... OH I am a Learning fool today... cant wait to get home and look at him again...
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6292109

I forgot about the horse hair question! To be honest, I had no clue. I have a pottery item that was made with horse hair - they put it on in the final stages and it makes sort of web-like patterns on the glaze. It's a beautiful piece (well, in my opinion) so I know pottery studios can use it.

I also found this site, which has some really cool designs and ideas! I love the earrings!
http://www.redtaildesigns.com/horse-hair-jewelry/

Here's another site with some neat stuff they make from horse hair!
http://www.rockinghorseridge.com/faq.html

Here is my pottery item - I bought it from an artisan potter in North Carolina last summer.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6292653

That is a very pretty piece. Very unique.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6295337

I have seen taht pottery at the craft fair, I thought that was cool. I thought it was made with mane and tail hair... How did they use to stuff a mattress in the old days I wonder? I will check out the links...

On the chicken front... I REALLY DO HAVE A ROO...I caught him again this morning, doing the roo stance trying to crow... He is really a keeper... Ugly but a keeper...
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6295449

I think he'll turn out beautifully as he grows older. Roos can be ugly when they are young.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6705565

Here are updates pictures of Billys Chickens, the first one is Billy and Spiderman. he has turned out to be a pretty ROO

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6705573

Very Gentle with Billy

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6705589

feeding time

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6705601

The Girls

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009

Post #6705604

Hiding

Thumbnail by MissJestr

Harmonyplace

(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2009

Post #6705606

Awww That is so sweet
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6705612

They have really grown. Laying yet?
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6705617

One of the girls layed an egg in the water bucket the other day, small but Billy ate it anyway. found it when we cleaned out the water.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6705654

Great. How many hens do you have?
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6705663

4 hens and one Rooster. We started out with 6, lost one when I moved them in with the others. That prompted me to build them there own space, and started the health issues I had...LOL what we will do for our chickens...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009

Post #6705757

I did not know you were having health problems. I knew you were away from the forums but just thought you were busy.

I think I have about 1/2 roos so we will be eating chicken and eggs. I have one big white rock roo that we may eat this weekend.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6705855

Cut myself with rusty wire fixin up that pen, got an infection from it... LOL I now protect myself from rusty wire... and a few other health issues, but the good news is I QUIT smoking, (NOT by my choice mind you but I did it)

I was lucky, I only got one roo out of that bunch.. and since we handled tham all since we got them, they are all gentle... Spiderman eve lets Billy tote him around...

RR is starting to get me mad, he has started going after Billy when he goes in there, he might be headed for the pot.. Cant have him do that.. That would leave Spiderman as my only Roo...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6707986

Sounds like a good plan. You only need one roo anyway.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6710564

That dang RR not only went after Billy yesterday, but my Nephew as well when he went into the coop. He does not come after me, so I am not understanding this now. He is getting more aggressive towards everyone but me... I really hate to see him go in the pot, but I dont know how I can keep him. I am due to go to Northern Cali for a vacation in a week, and I have someone watching the critters. She is an old hand, so I am sure she will send him flying if he comes ofter her, I am wondering if it is just not men that he goes after...
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6723408

WHOOO HOOOO the girls are laying... Ok just an egg here and there, not in the nesting box, but I will take care of that tonight, putting in a 3 compartment box from my other pen since those 2 girls share the same slot, they wont mind a bigger one slot..
Would show you the egg, but me and Billy used it last night in CMoxen's flan recipie... Yumm Yumm
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6791830

Ok You all know I love my chickens and so does Billy. Today I picked up the eggs (Billy is still on vacation) and I found 4 eggs. So that means all his girls are laying. 2 Blue, One light green and one dark green...

Thumbnail by MissJestr

MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #6791833

Its funny, re reading this thread, it is like a baby book on Billys Chickens... From start to egg laying, they have been fun
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6791884

I know you are thrilled with those very pretty eggs. Congrats!
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6791908

I cant wait for the first time when Billy goes in there and finds the eggs, he is going to be so happy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America