Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

February 3, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6086001

Coneflower yellow aster disease. Does this have anything to do with Aster flowers/shrubs? I had to dig out about 40+ coneflowers last year. I have 2 shrub asters and I also had some aster flowers I started from seed last year. I noticed on my Fireworks Aster seed packets it says not to plant where I had asters previously.
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

February 7, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6103746

This is the aster I was talking about. Does this 'cause' yellow aster disease on my coneflowers? Anyone?

Thumbnail by NDFarmgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
7:00 AM

Post #6108935

If you google aster yellow disease it will give you sites with lists of plants that are hosts and are affected and it is a long list. I couldn't find any information listing asters as the cause. It seems to be caused by a tiny phytoplasma, similar to a bacteria, and is spread from plant to plant by leafhoppers. There is no known cure but removal of affected plants is recommended. Oat straw mulch and removal of weeds like dandelion might help.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America