Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Ordered on Netflix

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought I'd start an informal review of movies ordered/view on netflix, which I would have never seen otherwise. Perhaps you want to add them to your list.

Apaloosa. Ed Harris and Vigo Mortensen. I just loooove Vigo. I think he would have made a great 007. Anyway, Apaloosa is an entertaining movie. Renee Zelwegger does an excellent job with the flawed character she plays.

Phoenix, AZ

My OH ordered Aviator. I was so bored I quit watching after about, well... I'm not sure. The only bright spot for me was Cate Blanchett as Kate Hepburn.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Good idea for a thread! I am at a loss sometimes picking movies. I don't have tv and don't see all the "trailers" so I don't know much about most of them.

I have enjoyed some Will Smith movies lately. I Robot, was a surprize like, and the one he was in with his son was pretty good.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Gee, what kind of movies do you like, Vossner. My netflix list is all over the map, from anime to documentaries, drama and sci-fi. About the only thing I don't rent much of anymore is hard core horror films. Not a good thing to watch when you live by yourself! :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My netflix list is all over the map, too. Just finished seeing The Weeping Camel about a camel in Mongolia and the tribe which owns her. Very interesting movie, but not your usual Hollywood stuff. It is about people who live in yurts and raise camels. You get to see a camel being born. Part of the plot.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

tomatofreak, is Aviator the one loosely based on Howard Hughes? I think I saw it, not on my top ten but I thought L.DiCaprio did a good job portraying a character fighting mental illness demons.

Cparts, should we add I Robot to our list?

Cece, I used to love horror films and then one day I couldn't take them any more. I do not watch them at all! As to my list, I don't do cartoon movies. This will sound weird but cartoons hurt my eyes. I must be one of the few people that has never seen Roger Rabbit, Little Mermaid, et al, lol.

Another thing that has changed in me is what I term movie tolerance. I used to suffer thru a movie, no matter how horrible, ridiculous, sappy. These days, if the first 30 minutes don't grab me, I don't hesitate to stop watching. Same w/ books.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I never watched horror movies -- at least on purpose. Sometimes my DH rents them and I peek at them over my shoulder at them if I am working at the computer. Why waste one's time scaring oneself?? About as smart as hitting yourself with a hammer. I know some people don't get scared -- but if I think I will get scared, I don't order or look at it.
Some scary ( not tales of the supernatural, but thriller) movies that I have enjoyed are Silence of the Lambs and Fatal Attraction.
If you like films about foreign countries I recommend Lagan about India. It is total Bollywood but tells the story of the encounter of an poor Indian Village with a cruel British Governor during the British Raj. The governor wants to extract yet more tax money from the village - enough to destroy it and the village agrees to play a cricket match against the British and if they win they don't have to pay the tax. Only problem, none of them know how to play cricket. It is very funny yet gives a nice picture of India. Lots of singing and dancing and very fun.
And speaking of Indian movies -- sort of -- if you haven't seen Monsoon Wedding and Bend It Like Beckham -- do move those up in your queue. They are fabulous and funny.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, I think even if you don't normally do sci-fi you would like I Robot.

Another film I liked recently is The Bone Collector. It is spooky like silence of the lambs, but not as gory. Jeffery Deaver's books are pretty good too.

I do not like horror pictures either. Just not my cup of tea.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

bend it like beckham was a fun movie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I consider Bend It Like Beckham to be one of my all time favorite movies. If you liked it you will like the other two Indian or semi-Indian movies I named.
I didn't see I Robot, but I did see its predecessor Forbidden Planet. Did you catch on to the fact that these are both SciFi retellings of Shakespeare's The Tempest?
Another excellent movie that is a retelling of a Shakespeare play is A Thousand Acres. It is also a fine novel. I had read about half the novel before I realized it was the same story as King Lear. Had to see the movie -- which I also liked a lot.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

If you like Bollywood and Indian movies, this one is fun: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Bride_and_Prejudice/70012797?trkid=64596 . It is, of course, based on Pride and Prejudice, with the plucky Indian girl standing up to the thought to be snobbish American. Love insues, of course, with lots of dancing and singing in between. And guess who is in it? Sayid from Lost! He plays the American guy's best friend.

Let's see... what else... my rentals have been pretty hum-drum. Mostly the popular just released stuff. I did rent Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke, his documentary about the distruction of New Orleans. That was intense.

This is a good Sci-Fi independent film: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Miracle_Mile/60028384?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=625550665_0_0 . Miracle Mile. Anthony Edward (yes, the doc from ER, though much younger) plays a guy who picks up a wrong number at a payphone booth. He hears a frantic young man on the other end screaming that the missles have been launched, and LA is going to be nuked in one hour! Then gunfire and silence... Uh oh! Does he save the girl of his dream and run, or try to convince others that the end is near? Very well acted and VERY intense.

Ooooh, since you like Viggo Morgensen, have you seen this one? http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Eastern_Promises/70059994?trkid=64596 . Eastern Promises is about the Russian Mafia in London, and Viggo plays a GREAT Russian gangster. You also get to see the "Full Monty" in one scene! Hee-Hee!

Last one is another documentary: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Wild_Parrots_of_Telegraph_Hill/70025655?trkid=64596 . The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is about the flocks of escaped parrots that have naturalized in San Francisco, and focuses on a man who has spent a lifetime observing and loving the parrots in his neighborhood. I just loved this film!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have seen Bride and Prejudice -- up to some point when the dvd went bad. I rented it locally. I should order it from Netflix!
I **loved** Eastern Promises. Really good movie. Vigo in the fight scene in the Turkish bath was almost like a choreographed dance. Great film.
I have long wanted to see The Parrots of Telegraph Hill. Better bump it up on my list!
I loved Spike Lee's documentary When the Levees broke. I am from New Orleans and was in and out of there as soon as you could fly in. His documentary was right on -- recording a real blight on our national history, as far as I am concerned. Don't get me started.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, I have added a couple more movies to my list. Thanks.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks everyone. I have added your suggestions. I also put Deadwood, season I and Wire, season I. Too bad they don't give you the entire season as one movie. So if the entire season is 4 dvds, then it's 4 diff. shipments.

I like sci-fi, but there's so much of it on TV that it seems I can catch a good show at any given time, so saving my netflix for other stuff. As for documentaries, I don't hate them but I do feel I need to be in a serious mood to watch and that may not always be the case. I think the last docu I saw was Bowling for columbine, which I thought was good but I don't like the guy who made it. And the one on global warming by the the former VP, I refused to watch 'cause I thought it would scare the pants off me, lol.

Viggo, Viggo, Viggo. I did see Eastern Promises at the movies. It was a good movie and I did not cover my eyes for the frontal, in fact my eyes were very wide open, ha ha. I keep thinking he'd be a great glamorous spy not that there's anything wrong w/ Daniel Craig.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I could watch Vigo pretty often myself -- even the full monty. By the way, did you see that movie? The Full Monty? Another hilarious one. For movies in English with heavily accented English, I have learned to turn on the English subtitles for the hearing impaired. I am slightly hearing impaired and do wear hearing aids, but I noticed my husband whose hearing is outstanding, missed some of those words, too. He, also, appreciates the subtitles.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

yes, loved the full monty. I haven't yet seen Calendar girls, imagine that's a good one.

thanks for the subtitle tips. I miss a lot of words myself.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh the subtitles are a great innovation on DVD. You will love Calendar girls. I saw it on an international flight and a woman asked me to quit laughing so hard, it was disturbing her sleep! Some people!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I even use subtitles for American movies. I get annoyed if I don't clearly hear every word that's said.

I enjoyed Weeping Camel and Parrots of Telegraph Hill. I loved Bend it Like Beckham and the Full Monty. I have Calendar Girls on my Netflix list.

I really like documentaries. One that I just rented is Young at Heart. It's about a group of elderly folks who travel the world singing contemporary songs at concerts. I'm talking about rock & roll, blues, and even punk band songs! It's a funny, touching and charming movie.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Rented over the weekend: That's Bill. If you didn't want to watch another CSI, NCIS, Law&Order rerun, then this movie is good enough. Stars Aaron Eckhardt from the clever satire "Thank you for Smoking".

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I watch so little TV that every time I see a CSI crime scene, it is new to me! I much prefer movies. Will have to look into the ones you mention.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

ha ha, I have such a terrible memory, that all CSI, etc. are new to me but still, sometimes I don't feel like it and a B movie is just right.

(Zone 7a)

What a fun thread idea! LOL
I recently saw Thank You For Smoking and Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrells.

The 1st one has Aaron Eckhart as a cigarette manufacturer's rep. He's the guy who's supposed to convince people to smoke. It's better than it sounds and there are some truly funny scenes, like the one with Sam Eliot.

The 2nd is a British movie with diffucult at times to understand dialogue and a very twisted plot. But once you catch on to what's happening, it's very much a good time.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you for Smoking was a lot of fun. I will have to add L S & 2 SB to my list.

Vossner - I love BITLB. I have that soundtrack (the Indian version with all of the music) and love it. I have no idea what they're saying, but I love the music.

Waking Ned Devine for people like Calendar Girls.

If you like a sort of adult soap operae with a satirical edg type of thing, check out the movie Reckless with Robson Green and Micheal Kutcheon (sp?) If you watch a lot of PBS you know who they are.

Friday Night Lights is great. (Don't be put off by the "teeny" look. It's more about life in a small town.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

This is a series, so it might take forever to go through it, but i just started watching "Upstairs, Downstairs" again. I watched it the first time when it was on PBS back in the 70s. It is just as fresh and iteresting today as it was then. The actors in it are incredible, and the stories, as I understand it, are based on real instances in the lives of servants in Edwardian England. http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Upstairs_Downstairs_Season_1/60030355?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1233340803_0_0

Once again though, it is a series, so you might want to see if you can find it at your library, unless you have the unlimited Netflix contract.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Just remembered a great movie that I ordered on Netflix -- Charlie Wilson's War. It is about the Afganistan War and is very funny -- sounds impossible, but Charlie Wilson was a real person with an impossible life. There was even an interview with the real man on the DVD. He has now passed, but not long ago.
Anyhow, it is a very good film if you haven't seen it.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Haven't watched network , cable, or satillite (?) tv in several years. There's some really annoying stuff out there... Don't get me started about the commercials!! Anyway, I do watch lots of dvd movies and series of MY choice. Really enjoy netflicks. I've been buying some of my all time favorites, which seem to be mostly comedies or with lots of humour. Some of them are: 'Young Frankenstein' with Gene Wilder, 'The Villain' with Kirk Douglas, 'Without a Clue' with Michael Caine, 'Some Like It Hot' with Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe, 'The Court Jester' with Danny Kaye, 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' and the before mentioned 'Waking Ned Devine'. Others I like are 'Second Hand Lions' with two of my favorites, Robert Duval and Michael Caine, 'Billy Elliot', 'The World's Fastest Indian' with Anthony Hopkins.
Anthony Hopkins and Robert Duval are unequaled in acting ability. They can do anything. Can you picture Anthony Hopkins as Zorro?! Well, he made me believe it! Anyway, this is just a small portion of what I like....(did I put any of you to sleep yet?) I can't leave without mentioning that I LOVE anything Star Trek.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

An excellent, funny movie, to me was The Three Kings who go out to get steal a huge amount of Kuwaiti Gold after the first Gulf War -- only they end up having to help all the people in desperate straits after the war. It is funny a caper move about 3 bad guys gone good -- accidentally.

The other one along those lines is Sahara, a preposterous movie about finding the submarine built by the Confederacy in Mali. It is a total spoof of adventure thrillers and even spoofs certain scenes that come from westerns. Silly but great fun. And I am not sure I would have been so into it if I hadn't read an article in some respectable newspaper somewhere about some guys who were trying to do just that before the movie came out.

If you liked Three Kings, which I enjoyed, you might also like In Bruges.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I did see Bruges. It was wonderful and hilarious in a very black sort of way. The author and screen writer is one DH and I have followed for a long time in the theater. He took an active part in directing Bruges and did a wonderful job, I think.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

MNotM - if you like Michael Caine, you should see this adventure movie he made with Sean Connery, called "The Man Who Would Be King". Based on a Rudyard Kipling story, and directed by John Huston, it's about a couple of scoundrel soldiers who adventure into the mountains of Kafiristan seeking a city of gold.

One of the best movies that nobody has ever heard of, IMHO. They are both great in the film and look like they enjoyed making it together. http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Man_Who_Would_Be_King/736652?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=2034530628_0_0

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link. I just added it to my queue. I have heard good things about it from others as well.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Thanks ceceoh, I will add it to my list also. My almost ten year old grandaughter just spent over a week with me and I introduced her to Kyle XY. We had so much fun arguring about who was the hottest! I did have to explain a few things to her....... I've also been reading Artemis Fowl to her.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The gods must be crazy is one of my favorites. Too funny. My brother told me to watch it and at first I thought he was crazy. Ha.

A Caine film that I like is Deathtrap.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think I saw the movie of Deathtrap, but I did see the play at our local little theater. Pretty good thriller. Our production left something to be desired though.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Last night I watched Tuya's Marriage which is a fascinating movie, made in Mongolia and by, I gather, Mongolians. It is the story of Tuya and her husband and two children out on the plains of Mongolia. The husband was disabled while digging a well so Tuya wouldn't have to haul water for her family and over 30 sheep. The husband and his sister suggest she divorce her husband and remarry a man who will take care of her and her children. The husband would live with her sister. They do. Suitors come from miles around because Tuya is attractive and very hard working at home and with the animals. The trouble Tuya will not go to another husband unless she can bring her current husband with her. Needless to say, the suitors don't go for that and a long and interesting plot unfolds. Costumes, customs, camels and scenery are all very interesting and the plot is just wild, though the movie moves slowly. Still I would recommend it, especially if you liked Weeping Camel.

I hadn't heard of that one, but I did like Weeping Camel.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The ending was very confusing, but I liked it. It was so human.

(Zone 7a)

I watched one yesterday called Mongol. About Ghengis Khan's early life. Funny we both watched Mongolian movies. ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.