-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6087334

I thought I'd start an informal review of movies ordered/view on netflix, which I would have never seen otherwise. Perhaps you want to add them to your list.

Apaloosa. Ed Harris and Vigo Mortensen. I just loooove Vigo. I think he would have made a great 007. Anyway, Apaloosa is an entertaining movie. Renee Zelwegger does an excellent job with the flawed character she plays.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

February 4, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6093101

My OH ordered Aviator. I was so bored I quit watching after about, well... I'm not sure. The only bright spot for me was Cate Blanchett as Kate Hepburn.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6096706

Good idea for a thread! I am at a loss sometimes picking movies. I don't have tv and don't see all the "trailers" so I don't know much about most of them.

I have enjoyed some Will Smith movies lately. I Robot, was a surprize like, and the one he was in with his son was pretty good.

ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6096953

Gee, what kind of movies do you like, Vossner. My netflix list is all over the map, from anime to documentaries, drama and sci-fi. About the only thing I don't rent much of anymore is hard core horror films. Not a good thing to watch when you live by yourself! :)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6100169

My netflix list is all over the map, too. Just finished seeing The Weeping Camel about a camel in Mongolia and the tribe which owns her. Very interesting movie, but not your usual Hollywood stuff. It is about people who live in yurts and raise camels. You get to see a camel being born. Part of the plot.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6102818

tomatofreak, is Aviator the one loosely based on Howard Hughes? I think I saw it, not on my top ten but I thought L.DiCaprio did a good job portraying a character fighting mental illness demons.

Cparts, should we add I Robot to our list?

Cece, I used to love horror films and then one day I couldn't take them any more. I do not watch them at all! As to my list, I don't do cartoon movies. This will sound weird but cartoons hurt my eyes. I must be one of the few people that has never seen Roger Rabbit, Little Mermaid, et al, lol.

Another thing that has changed in me is what I term movie tolerance. I used to suffer thru a movie, no matter how horrible, ridiculous, sappy. These days, if the first 30 minutes don't grab me, I don't hesitate to stop watching. Same w/ books.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6102915

I never watched horror movies -- at least on purpose. Sometimes my DH rents them and I peek at them over my shoulder at them if I am working at the computer. Why waste one's time scaring oneself?? About as smart as hitting yourself with a hammer. I know some people don't get scared -- but if I think I will get scared, I don't order or look at it.
Some scary ( not tales of the supernatural, but thriller) movies that I have enjoyed are Silence of the Lambs and Fatal Attraction.
If you like films about foreign countries I recommend Lagan about India. It is total Bollywood but tells the story of the encounter of an poor Indian Village with a cruel British Governor during the British Raj. The governor wants to extract yet more tax money from the village - enough to destroy it and the village agrees to play a cricket match against the British and if they win they don't have to pay the tax. Only problem, none of them know how to play cricket. It is very funny yet gives a nice picture of India. Lots of singing and dancing and very fun.
And speaking of Indian movies -- sort of -- if you haven't seen Monsoon Wedding and Bend It Like Beckham -- do move those up in your queue. They are fabulous and funny.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #6103372

Yes, I think even if you don't normally do sci-fi you would like I Robot.

Another film I liked recently is The Bone Collector. It is spooky like silence of the lambs, but not as gory. Jeffery Deaver's books are pretty good too.

I do not like horror pictures either. Just not my cup of tea.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6103434

bend it like beckham was a fun movie
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6104174

I consider Bend It Like Beckham to be one of my all time favorite movies. If you liked it you will like the other two Indian or semi-Indian movies I named.
I didn't see I Robot, but I did see its predecessor Forbidden Planet. Did you catch on to the fact that these are both SciFi retellings of Shakespeare's The Tempest?
Another excellent movie that is a retelling of a Shakespeare play is A Thousand Acres. It is also a fine novel. I had read about half the novel before I realized it was the same story as King Lear. Had to see the movie -- which I also liked a lot.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #6104752

If you like Bollywood and Indian movies, this one is fun: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Bride_and_Prejudice/70012797?trkid=64596 . It is, of course, based on Pride and Prejudice, with the plucky Indian girl standing up to the thought to be snobbish American. Love insues, of course, with lots of dancing and singing in between. And guess who is in it? Sayid from Lost! He plays the American guy's best friend.

Let's see... what else... my rentals have been pretty hum-drum. Mostly the popular just released stuff. I did rent Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke, his documentary about the distruction of New Orleans. That was intense.

This is a good Sci-Fi independent film: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Miracle_Mile/60028384?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=625550665_0_0 . Miracle Mile. Anthony Edward (yes, the doc from ER, though much younger) plays a guy who picks up a wrong number at a payphone booth. He hears a frantic young man on the other end screaming that the missles have been launched, and LA is going to be nuked in one hour! Then gunfire and silence... Uh oh! Does he save the girl of his dream and run, or try to convince others that the end is near? Very well acted and VERY intense.

Ooooh, since you like Viggo Morgensen, have you seen this one? http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Eastern_Promises/70059994?trkid=64596 . Eastern Promises is about the Russian Mafia in London, and Viggo plays a GREAT Russian gangster. You also get to see the "Full Monty" in one scene! Hee-Hee!

Last one is another documentary: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Wild_Parrots_of_Telegraph_Hill/70025655?trkid=64596 . The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is about the flocks of escaped parrots that have naturalized in San Francisco, and focuses on a man who has spent a lifetime observing and loving the parrots in his neighborhood. I just loved this film!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6104858

I have seen Bride and Prejudice -- up to some point when the dvd went bad. I rented it locally. I should order it from Netflix!
I **loved** Eastern Promises. Really good movie. Vigo in the fight scene in the Turkish bath was almost like a choreographed dance. Great film.
I have long wanted to see The Parrots of Telegraph Hill. Better bump it up on my list!
I loved Spike Lee's documentary When the Levees broke. I am from New Orleans and was in and out of there as soon as you could fly in. His documentary was right on -- recording a real blight on our national history, as far as I am concerned. Don't get me started.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6105098

Ok, I have added a couple more movies to my list. Thanks.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6106724

thanks everyone. I have added your suggestions. I also put Deadwood, season I and Wire, season I. Too bad they don't give you the entire season as one movie. So if the entire season is 4 dvds, then it's 4 diff. shipments.

I like sci-fi, but there's so much of it on TV that it seems I can catch a good show at any given time, so saving my netflix for other stuff. As for documentaries, I don't hate them but I do feel I need to be in a serious mood to watch and that may not always be the case. I think the last docu I saw was Bowling for columbine, which I thought was good but I don't like the guy who made it. And the one on global warming by the the former VP, I refused to watch 'cause I thought it would scare the pants off me, lol.

Viggo, Viggo, Viggo. I did see Eastern Promises at the movies. It was a good movie and I did not cover my eyes for the frontal, in fact my eyes were very wide open, ha ha. I keep thinking he'd be a great glamorous spy not that there's anything wrong w/ Daniel Craig.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6106812

Yes, I could watch Vigo pretty often myself -- even the full monty. By the way, did you see that movie? The Full Monty? Another hilarious one. For movies in English with heavily accented English, I have learned to turn on the English subtitles for the hearing impaired. I am slightly hearing impaired and do wear hearing aids, but I noticed my husband whose hearing is outstanding, missed some of those words, too. He, also, appreciates the subtitles.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6106827

yes, loved the full monty. I haven't yet seen Calendar girls, imagine that's a good one.

thanks for the subtitle tips. I miss a lot of words myself.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6107023

Oh the subtitles are a great innovation on DVD. You will love Calendar girls. I saw it on an international flight and a woman asked me to quit laughing so hard, it was disturbing her sleep! Some people!
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6148672

I even use subtitles for American movies. I get annoyed if I don't clearly hear every word that's said.

I enjoyed Weeping Camel and Parrots of Telegraph Hill. I loved Bend it Like Beckham and the Full Monty. I have Calendar Girls on my Netflix list.

I really like documentaries. One that I just rented is Young at Heart. It's about a group of elderly folks who travel the world singing contemporary songs at concerts. I'm talking about rock & roll, blues, and even punk band songs! It's a funny, touching and charming movie.

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6148912

Rented over the weekend: That's Bill. If you didn't want to watch another CSI, NCIS, Law&Order rerun, then this movie is good enough. Stars Aaron Eckhardt from the clever satire "Thank you for Smoking".
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6149434

I watch so little TV that every time I see a CSI crime scene, it is new to me! I much prefer movies. Will have to look into the ones you mention.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6151743

ha ha, I have such a terrible memory, that all CSI, etc. are new to me but still, sometimes I don't feel like it and a B movie is just right.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6151983

What a fun thread idea! LOL
I recently saw Thank You For Smoking and Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrells.

The 1st one has Aaron Eckhart as a cigarette manufacturer's rep. He's the guy who's supposed to convince people to smoke. It's better than it sounds and there are some truly funny scenes, like the one with Sam Eliot.

The 2nd is a British movie with diffucult at times to understand dialogue and a very twisted plot. But once you catch on to what's happening, it's very much a good time.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6152080

Thank you for Smoking was a lot of fun. I will have to add L S & 2 SB to my list.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

February 26, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6193581

Vossner - I love BITLB. I have that soundtrack (the Indian version with all of the music) and love it. I have no idea what they're saying, but I love the music.

Waking Ned Devine for people like Calendar Girls.

If you like a sort of adult soap operae with a satirical edg type of thing, check out the movie Reckless with Robson Green and Micheal Kutcheon (sp?) If you watch a lot of PBS you know who they are.

Friday Night Lights is great. (Don't be put off by the "teeny" look. It's more about life in a small town.

ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6197971

This is a series, so it might take forever to go through it, but i just started watching "Upstairs, Downstairs" again. I watched it the first time when it was on PBS back in the 70s. It is just as fresh and iteresting today as it was then. The actors in it are incredible, and the stories, as I understand it, are based on real instances in the lives of servants in Edwardian England. http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Upstairs_Downstairs_Season_1/60030355?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=1233340803_0_0

Once again though, it is a series, so you might want to see if you can find it at your library, unless you have the unlimited Netflix contract.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6220924

Just remembered a great movie that I ordered on Netflix -- Charlie Wilson's War. It is about the Afganistan War and is very funny -- sounds impossible, but Charlie Wilson was a real person with an impossible life. There was even an interview with the real man on the DVD. He has now passed, but not long ago.
Anyhow, it is a very good film if you haven't seen it.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6221416

Haven't watched network , cable, or satillite (?) tv in several years. There's some really annoying stuff out there... Don't get me started about the commercials!! Anyway, I do watch lots of dvd movies and series of MY choice. Really enjoy netflicks. I've been buying some of my all time favorites, which seem to be mostly comedies or with lots of humour. Some of them are: 'Young Frankenstein' with Gene Wilder, 'The Villain' with Kirk Douglas, 'Without a Clue' with Michael Caine, 'Some Like It Hot' with Jack Lemon, Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe, 'The Court Jester' with Danny Kaye, 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' and the before mentioned 'Waking Ned Devine'. Others I like are 'Second Hand Lions' with two of my favorites, Robert Duval and Michael Caine, 'Billy Elliot', 'The World's Fastest Indian' with Anthony Hopkins.
Anthony Hopkins and Robert Duval are unequaled in acting ability. They can do anything. Can you picture Anthony Hopkins as Zorro?! Well, he made me believe it! Anyway, this is just a small portion of what I like...(did I put any of you to sleep yet?) I can't leave without mentioning that I LOVE anything Star Trek.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6221913

An excellent, funny movie, to me was The Three Kings who go out to get steal a huge amount of Kuwaiti Gold after the first Gulf War -- only they end up having to help all the people in desperate straits after the war. It is funny a caper move about 3 bad guys gone good -- accidentally.

The other one along those lines is Sahara, a preposterous movie about finding the submarine built by the Confederacy in Mali. It is a total spoof of adventure thrillers and even spoofs certain scenes that come from westerns. Silly but great fun. And I am not sure I would have been so into it if I hadn't read an article in some respectable newspaper somewhere about some guys who were trying to do just that before the movie came out.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 5, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6224584

If you liked Three Kings, which I enjoyed, you might also like In Bruges.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6224806

I did see Bruges. It was wonderful and hilarious in a very black sort of way. The author and screen writer is one DH and I have followed for a long time in the theater. He took an active part in directing Bruges and did a wonderful job, I think.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6225868

MNotM - if you like Michael Caine, you should see this adventure movie he made with Sean Connery, called "The Man Who Would Be King". Based on a Rudyard Kipling story, and directed by John Huston, it's about a couple of scoundrel soldiers who adventure into the mountains of Kafiristan seeking a city of gold.

One of the best movies that nobody has ever heard of, IMHO. They are both great in the film and look like they enjoyed making it together. http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Man_Who_Would_Be_King/736652?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=2034530628_0_0
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6226477

Thanks for the link. I just added it to my queue. I have heard good things about it from others as well.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6227326

Thanks ceceoh, I will add it to my list also. My almost ten year old grandaughter just spent over a week with me and I introduced her to Kyle XY. We had so much fun arguring about who was the hottest! I did have to explain a few things to her... I've also been reading Artemis Fowl to her.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #6228440

The gods must be crazy is one of my favorites. Too funny. My brother told me to watch it and at first I thought he was crazy. Ha.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 6, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6228800

A Caine film that I like is Deathtrap.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6229144

I don't think I saw the movie of Deathtrap, but I did see the play at our local little theater. Pretty good thriller. Our production left something to be desired though.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6249475

Last night I watched Tuya's Marriage which is a fascinating movie, made in Mongolia and by, I gather, Mongolians. It is the story of Tuya and her husband and two children out on the plains of Mongolia. The husband was disabled while digging a well so Tuya wouldn't have to haul water for her family and over 30 sheep. The husband and his sister suggest she divorce her husband and remarry a man who will take care of her and her children. The husband would live with her sister. They do. Suitors come from miles around because Tuya is attractive and very hard working at home and with the animals. The trouble Tuya will not go to another husband unless she can bring her current husband with her. Needless to say, the suitors don't go for that and a long and interesting plot unfolds. Costumes, customs, camels and scenery are all very interesting and the plot is just wild, though the movie moves slowly. Still I would recommend it, especially if you liked Weeping Camel.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 11, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6250315

I hadn't heard of that one, but I did like Weeping Camel.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6251277

The ending was very confusing, but I liked it. It was so human.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6251398

I watched one yesterday called Mongol. About Ghengis Khan's early life. Funny we both watched Mongolian movies. ☺
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6251466

Yes, it is funny. I saw Mongol in the theater and enjoyed it -- especially the scenery. Did you like it?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6251503

I loved it. I was really surprised at the beauty of it. They handled the subject well.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6251526

I loved it too.
Did you see Weeping Camel? If so, how did you like it?
I think there is a sort of different feel to Mongolian movies -- a certain slowness of the drama.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6251564

I haven't seen that one but I'll certainly find it. I love foreign films for the most part. The horror films are my most favorite.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6251578

I gather foreign horror films are fantastic if you like that sort of thing, but I still don't like scary movies, even at my age. But I am with you on foreign films. I watch them often. You might like Weeping Camel. I did. And you might like Tuya's Marriage, too. It is a very human attempt to solve a serious problem -- lack of farm labor.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6251589

Believe me, I'm making a list! LOL
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 11, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6251653

Another sort of strange one that I found interesting was the Sweet Hereafter. I warn that it is not upbeat.

And I don't like war movies, but loved Black Hawk Down.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6251784

I will look into both. If you don't like war movies, maybe I would agree with you on Black hawk down. Movies don't have to be upbeat for me.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6251786

Some of my favorite movies don't have the happily-ever-after ending.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 11, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6251840

Well, the first is about a town where a school bus has sunk into a frozen lake, so it's dark, but I found it interesting.

The second is based on a real event, and I liked it. It's about how the actual battle occurred, rather than a character movie with the standard cliches.

On the horror front, you might see Don't Look Now, but be prepared for a weird ending. One of the strangest I've ever seen.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6251850

I, personally, will skip Don't Look Now.
I will try Black Hawk Down and perhaps the one about the school bus.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6251878

I think I saw Don't Look Now. Is it the one with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie?
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 11, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6251948

Yes, the one in Venice.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6251951

Hard to beat Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie for acting!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6251960

Absolutely! LOL I did see it but I'm going to re-watch it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6251968

Okay, that does it. If you are willing to re-watch it, it has to be good. I will put it in my queue right away. I do have a very long queue, though.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6251977

It's a 70's movie, if that helps. Rosemary's Baby is very tame compared to todays films and it was the apex of horror back then.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6252231

I just watched a wonderful German film, but talk about dark! It was called "The Downfall", and was about the last 10 days of Adolf Hitler and his staff as they hid in their Berlin bunkers, dealing with the fact that the war was lost and everything they believed in was crashing down around them. The focus is on a young girl who was Hitler's secretary, and is based on the memoirs of the actual woman.

I can't say you'll find the characters sympathetic, though there is one doctor that tries to bring some sanity into his dealings with the Fuherer and his officers. The film is riviting though! Amazing actors and screenplay. It's a long film, but you won't want to turn it off, though there is one point where it is very hard to watch. (No spoilers, though).
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6252691

Thanks for no spoilers. That film sounds interesting. If Don't Look Now is a horror movie, I think I will skip it. I saw Rosemary's baby recently and it was nothing, but I am pretty uncomfortable with stuff about the devil and monsters and ghosts and such.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6276778

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Outsourced/70068703?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=427825536_0_0

Quick! move this cute little movie to the top of your netflix list. You will enjoy it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6311407

I finally saw Juno. It was an absolutely wonderful film about love and down to earth people. It says it all about what love really is and about doing the right thing from your heart and not from any rigid moral doctrine. I think it is a much better movie than Slumdog Millionaire and the young actress, Ellen Page, I think, was stunningly good. I liked it even better than Gran Torino because nobody gets killed, but there are definitely troubles. What did the rest of you think?
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #6311478

I got to see The Story of the Weeping Camel. While watching it I didn't think very much of it. It was rather slow and simple, and nothing much was really going on. There wasn't even any background music in the film.

And yet after watching it, I found my mind returning to different scenes of the film. It really does worm your way into your heart.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #6311496

Yes, Weeping Camel is definitely a different kind of movie -- slow. I get the feeling that Mongolian movies are that way. They are also kind of subtle. Tuya's Marriage is the same, but I liked it.
Juno is the opposite. It moves nicely. You have to be alert to get everything.

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6311823

I liked Juno too. There was some good stuff in that movie.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 24, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6312034

Another good one is Out of Sight. (Ignore the fact that Lopez is in it, she's decent here.)
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6312839

Good to know. I don't think I have ever heard of Out of Sight. Will check it out.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6312900

I didn't get Juno at all. I hope it doesn't mean I'm too old and out of touch w/ the times. I thought it treated teen pregnancy a little too lightly for my taste. The girl was smart, sensitive and had a loving family network. How come she didn't know about birth control? Sweet that she put a lot of thought into finding a suitable parent for the child, but it wasn't a puppy, you know. It is a human being that 20 years down the road would wonder how come birth mom didn't keep him/her. Juno's life wasn't unbearable like that of many teen mothers so, was baby simply inconvenient?

Why do I get so wrapped up in the topics? It's just a movie, right? lol.

RE: Jennifer Lopez, I saw Border Town and thought it was quite good. However, it got very little attention. Don't know what it is about her that just doesn't capture people's attention. Well, it could be Gigli. that was God-awful!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 11:15 AM
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6312970

I love movies w/ John Cusack because they always seem to be quirky humor but War, Inc. was just plain awful. I didn't even finish it and actually felt guilty about spending time watching as much as I did, lol. A for-hire assassin who drank Tabasco sauce by the jigger. I never could figure out the purpose of this. He had a robotic psychoanalyst and I never did figure out what this was about either.

Another one, Right at your Door. Armageddon type movie w/ the most ridiculous storyline. This girl leaves home to go to work, kissing stay-at-home hubby goodbye. The evil terrorists drop toxic gas in downtown SF causing major mayhem. Hubby watches the news and frantically goes looking for wife but roads are blocked, thus returning home and hoping for the best. Wifey finally shows up right at the door and then he doesn't let her in, afraid that she will contaminate him w/ toxic fumes. Poor girl spends the movie outside, w/the prospect of dying slowly and painfully. Man, I would divorce that guy IMMEDIATELY. Don't waste Netflix queue selecting this one.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2009 11:52 AM
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6313116

Well, I had a hard time getting to Juno. It sat around here for a month or more because I didn't want to deal with the subject of teen pregnancy, but I guess I took it to be the way a modern loving family handles teen pregnancy. Did you think she shouldn't have given the baby up for adoption? Should have kept it?
I think the depiction of how teens think of contraception was accurate if not admirable. Yes she did know better, but in spite of lots of effort by the schools and various free clinics, teens tend not to use contraception.
I think Juno's story is a common one, but the loving way she handled her relationships and her parents handled their relationships was what I thought was admirable.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6313221

Pajarito, I must have missed it. What were the girl's views on b/control? As to the issue of give up for adoption vs. keep, I'm gonna wiggle out by answering: b/control in order to avoid the heart-wrenching dilemma altogether. (uh-oh, this may be a no-no topic here on DG). Easy for me to answer b/control as no longer impulsive and carefree as when I was 19. I cannot answer, not being in that situation and even more so answer for anybody other than myself.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6313261

Well, I am not claiming the girl or the boy acted responsibly, but there was a shot that you may not have connected to the explanation of a sex-ed teacher showing the class how to put a condom on a banana and the kids all thinking it was really a dumb thing. Then there was the part where the abortion agency gave out free boysenberry flavored condoms. I admit this is subtle but it does show that birth control was available free in places that the kids all knew about. She admits that the unprotected sex was because she was bored. It does leave us to wonder why she was so irresponsible, but I think that is what often happens with kids -- I taught high school for 13 years so I have seen a lot of it. I also had a friend who was a sex-ed teacher in high school and she did the same demo for the kids -- with the banana.
I don't think the film was contending that she behaved responsibly. It just shows everyone handling the mess in a very loving way -- except the adoptive father. It doesn't condone the Juno's irresponsibility, but it doesn't moralize either. Maybe you would feel better if it had moralized, but I can tell you this is pretty much the way it is among teens these days.
By the way, I do appreciate the warnings about the really bad films. I will definitely avoid them.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6313461

I work in a high school, and it seems like the attitude of some teens if "If you tell me not to, I'm doing it!"

I'm not going to go too deep here, either, but I'm not sure I would like the easy-pezey way they portrayed adoption. All choices have consequences.

Now if you want to see a movie that is guaranteed to ruffle feathers, rent "Citizen Ruth"! http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Citizen_Ruth/60025587?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=916272797_0_0 . Nobody comes out smelling like a rose, and all choices seem bad. Laura Dern does an amazing job in the film, though. I wonder what ever happened to her?
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 24, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6313512

I thought it was okay, but overrated. One of those films that I would have liked more if I hadn't heard it was was the greatest film of the year before I saw it. I thought the writing, which won the Oscar, was sitcom level. Although I did think that some characters were better written than others. I'd rather see a movie about either of the two marriages than about the pregnant girl.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6314337

Quoting: I would have liked more if I hadn't heard it was was the greatest film of the year before I saw it.

LOL andi, I know that feeling. I can't think of one right off hand but there have been a few that I went to see with ski-high expectations, only to be deflated. Have never heard of Citizen Ruth.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

March 25, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6315076

Sideways is like that for me. Tell someone it's good and they will hate it. Show it to them without warning and they will like it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6315181

Yes, I agree on Sideways.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6315191

yep
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #6320866

Okay, I just watched Outsourced. Got it from netflix in a hurry. Very good, very sweet. Not as expensive to make as Slumdog Millionaire but in many ways better. More realistic ending to love story -- or non-ending. I love movies about India. Did you ever see Laagan? It is a truly wonderful movie about India. Laagan is a land tax.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6321832

Oh pajarito I'm so glad you liked it. So what do you think, was that girl calling back just to say hello or to say she'd broken her arranged engagement???

I'll look into Laagan.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6322474

Laagan is very funny -- a Bollywood satire of the British Raj.

I think the girl calling back meant that she was still thinking of him and might actually break of her engagement. I don't think we can conclude much except that she was still interested. If she weren't having doubts about her engagement, she would never have called him back -- very forbidden in her world.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6322795

don't you just love those endings that leave you thinking.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6323165

Yes. It is less corny than the end of Slumdog Millionaire.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6323869

I think the ending on Slumdog was supposed to be satirical as for Bollywood, it is not a REAL movie if it doesn't have dancing. I think the majority of Bollywood movies are song/dance or blatant copies of Hollywood action movies. There is no lost love between Hollywood and Bollywood for that reason.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6323931

You will like Laagan. It has song and dance, but is somewhat relevant to the plot. Probably the plot would be okay without the dancing, but there are some excellent cuts of the English dancing in the 19th century and the Indian villagers dancing in their village. The comparison makes a strong point!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 26, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6323975

I put Lagaan on my list but it says availability unk.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6324013

Oh, too bad. I got it from Netflix long ago. It is also available in a local movie store that handles a lot of foreign films. Hope you can find it.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

June 8, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6659227

I had to look for this thread because I just watched a movie downloaded from Netflix. I am a big Toni Collette fan and I'd never heard of this movie, "Japanese Story", made in '03. http://movies.about.com/cs/upcomingreleases/a/japsty1206031.htm It is a very unusual movie, I thought, but it raises lots of questions and takes you on a very emotional ride. I won't say anymore and if you decide to try it, don't look up the plot and ruin it for yourself.

I have also thoroughly enjoyed being able to watch old silent films - also downloaded from Netflix on the TV. I'm part way through watching "Steamboat" with Buster Keaton, one of my all time favorite comedy actors. Anyone else love the old silents?

Also, as I read through this thread to see what I'd missed, I remembered "Lost in Translation" (an odd but compelling film), "Sand Pebbles" with Steve McQueen from the 60's, "Little Miss Sunshine" with Toni Collette and Alan Arkin in one of his craziest roles ever, and "Cookie's Fortune" with an incredible ensemble cast.

Since TV is c**p during the summer, maybe this is the time to revive old, good movies?
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 8, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6660178

i really disliked lost in transaction--just totally bored me--

old silent movie i remember liking was when death took a holiday--or maybe death takes a holiday--

we just watched changling which was very good and milk which also was very good

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6660246

I also liked chagling. It was very good.

We just watched Australia and it was long. It was alright, but had the happy ending and then would continue, on and on, I liked it until it kept on like a sequel or something.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6661703

I loved Little Miss Sunshine. Which one was Toni Colette? I liked Lost in Translation as well but it was a little underwhelming. Still funny, though.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

June 9, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6662214

Toni Collette was the mom in LMS. She also played mom to the young boy that Hugh Grant befriended in Something About a Boy a few years ago.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6662918

I, too, just saw/rented "Milk" and was surprised that it was a VERY good movie. Sean Penn did an excellent job in the movie. I can see why he received the best Oscar for this role. It's a movie that is well worth watching.
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 9, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6663000

sean penn was amazing in the role!! he totally transformed himself into someone else--sounded different, looked different, moved different!--reminded me of dustin hoffman and how well he could do that--like when he played ratzo rizzo in midnight cowboy--milk was an interesting story too--kind of like watching a documentary -you learned a lot from it--
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6663432

I do hope to see Milk but probably not until winter. I like Sean Penn, too. He played Huey P. Long in a movie -- can't remember the name -- maybe Huey P. Long and was very convincing as the very complex man Huey P. Long was. He also brought his own boat and helped rescue people stranded by Katrina. What's not to like?
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 9, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6663451

oh i have not seen huey p long--i need to rent that-thanks for bringing that one up
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6663576

The Huey P. Long movie was All the King's Men after Robert Penn Warren's Pulitzer Prize winning novel. I liked it a lot. I come from Louisiana where for many years almost every improvement in the state was put in by Huey P. Long, though he wasn't exactly a saint.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 11, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6674763

Toni Collette makes interesting choices. I suggest Dinner with Friends (also with Kinnear), and Muriel's Wedding.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6674838

I will have to look into Dinner with Friends and Muriel's Wedding. I liked Toni Collette in Little Miss Sunshine -- always trying to be the sensible one in a family of nuts!
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 11, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6674911

i like her too--i know this is silly but i remember her having a body that looked like a real person and not an actress--which is not to say that she wasn't attractive but that she was attractive in a real way-

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6678023

Real women, in my oppinion, are much more attractive than the "model" type. Like May West or the mom in Home Improvement. These women didn't wear a size 6 and are beautiful.

Toni Collette is just so cute. Muriel's Wedding was a lot of fun.
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 12, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6678371

"perfect" women -as in hollywood perfect--are kinda boring because they sort of look alike
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6678482

Well, I do rather like a few perfect women who can act like Nicole Kiddman, and Meryl Streep ( I guess she is getting to old to be the perfect woman, but I liked her even when she was.) Also Jody Foster -- also a little old. Also Helena Bonham Carter -- not that old and very good actress. And probably more who I haven't thought of yet. Nicole Kiddman is still doing cheese cake.

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6680378

I think "Death at a Funeral" was one of the funniest movies I've seen for a while. Not sure you would want your children under 14 or so to see it, but really good.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6680681

Don't know that one, but the name suggests humor.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6681072

I liked Death At A Funeral. That one and Eulogy.
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 13, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6683131

I liked Death at a Funeral as well. Also Priscilla Queen of the Desert (although, in keeping with the discussion I should warn that those definitely aren't real women).
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 13, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6683161

queen of the desert was so much fun!
andidandi
Arlington, VA

June 19, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6709770

Watched Le Placard (Closet) and loved it. It has subtitles if you don't speak French.
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 19, 2009

Post #6710661

watched body of lies-------------very good--very current--dicapprio in star part--

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6710707

I loved that one. We recently watched The Recruit. Wonderful!
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6712057

I've got Milk waiting for me on the table, but I've been so pooped when I get home lately I haven't tried to watch it yet. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I don't want to fall to sleep in the middle!

They were talking about the movie Magnolia on NPR today. I remember really enjoying that one. I'm adding it to my list.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6712259

Magnolia was quite a film. Tom Hanks did his all time best performance in that one, I would say.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6795552

I just finished watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and did not like it. First of all, I couldn't understand/hear the dialogue despite adjusting my TV. The dying woman was impossible to understand. What was the point of the movie? Aging & death are a reality of life but nothing in this movie made me think this was a stage to look forward to. The shots of pretty Brad Pitt weren't enough to salvage this movie.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6795569

I liked it. The point was how we endure despite what happens to us. Benjamin was endearing. To DH and me, anyway.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 9, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6795602

i liked it-- one thing i thought of was how our age as a number doesn't always fit our age in our head----i did think it was a bit long tho
oh and i liked the origional idea of the story and the special effects
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6795649

I will say special effects were good. Not so much making Brad look old but making him look young. He is 40 in real life and they way they made him look 20ish and younger was amazing.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6795659

I thought so, too, Vossner. Any one can look older. (I do! LOL) It;s deifficult to make people look younger. SFX have come a loooooong way.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6816004

Thanks to all that recommended Death at a Funeral. Very cute. Reminded me a bit of Faulty Towers kind of humor, which is perfectly fine by me.

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2009
9:34 AM

Post #6821444

I notice that Death at a Funeral is being shown on Showtime this week. TV Guide gives it a 3 star, which is a really high rating for them.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 15, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6821954

just watched revolutionary road--would not suggest it-even tho it was up for awards

depressing--drawn out and not a great story--the acting was great however
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

July 19, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6837794

Has anyone seen "Burn After Reading"? Coen bros. movie. I thought it sounded silly but I watched it anyhow since my OH got it. I laughed myself silly, alright; it was hysterical.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6837831

I thought it was hilarious. Did NOT turn out how I thought it would!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6842445

DH and I watched Lakeview Terrace a week or so ago -- sort of a psychological drama. It was pretty good -- never dragged -- not earthshaking though. It was DH's selection. I have been wanting to see Burn After Reading, but kind of got burned out on the Coen Brothers after No Country for Old Men which I thought was just a bloody, brutal film with little to redeem it. Will probably try Burn After Reading before long.
Also saw Vicki Christina Barcelona a week or so ago. It was funny, but not as good as Woody Allen's older films, IMHO.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6842932

Agree about not being woody allen's best work. I called this movie "The Discontentment" movie. Nobody was happy w/ their situation in life and nobody had energy or resources to change it. Just long for something better or compromise themselves. Loved the locale and loved the music. The Spanish actress got the 2009 Oscar for best supportive actress and to me all she did was scream w/gusto. I didn't think her character was that challenging, unless the actress in real life is an ultra shy person. Then, she would deserve the Oscar as her character was a highly neurotic and spirited woman. It would take a lot of effort to be shy and act outgoing/crazy.

No country for all men was indeed brutal. No redeeming value. I wonder if the brothers wanted to say that raw evil can exist well among everyday people, not necessarily macabre or degenerate.

I don't remember much about Burn After Reading. Not much of an endorsement, huh?

I recently rented Amelie, a french movie; a slice of everyday french life centered around an over-imaginative girl. Remember the movie Sideways? When the movie was finished you had this wonderful feeling that you had visited CA vineyards. Amelie is not like that. I think this was made by Frenchmen for Frenchmen, not for the curious outsiders, which is everybody else. IMO, the fact that not once do they show the Eiffel Tower, suggests to me that this was meant for their own people and not for the casual tourist or francophile. I felt left out! lol
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #6849648

I think the message -- if there is one -- in No Country for Old Men is that pure evil exists. I don't get the feeling that they think it is all that common, but they are portraying an evil person who is for hire, but does the work because he likes it. There no doubt are such people, but I don't think there are many, thank goodness. I think they were trying to show us what pure evil looks like. I didn't need the lesson. Just check out Bernie Maddoff and you will see pure evil -- but not an assassin. Evil is abundant enough that I don't need a movie to show me how such work is done.
Not from Netflix but I did see the current Harry Potter -- the one with the Half Blood Prince. I liked it but it wasn't as much fun as in the past because he is getting older and his problems are more serious. It is about good and evil as well. More interesting than No Country for Old Men because it concentrates on the fight against evil -- which is an ongoing battle for humanity. It is fantasy but I like it and I am not generally fond of fantasy movies or books. Somehow, I really like Harry Potter though, Perhaps it is the number of first class actors in it -- and the wit in the story.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6854059

Hi--Haven't kept up with this thread but thanks for some new ideas for movies.
We just rented The International and found it better than I expected. Kept us going with out being so complicated that we got lost.
Just finished blasting through all The Wire and wishing there was more.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6868746

Watched MILK and really enjoyed this movie and recommend it. Definitely an adult movie. Back in the late 70s I was not aware of Harvey Milk but I do remember the rucus w/ Anita Bryant and later on, the "Twinkie" defense, mostly from the satire on the late night shows. Sean Penn & Josh Brolin are such wonderful actors. Recommend.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 27, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6868872

i agree with your recommendation of MLK--very good movie and sean penn was excellent!

we just watched -under the same moon--which was very good--i can't imagine anyone not liking it
we also saw australia and didn't know how much humor was going to be in it! ms kidman was so funny in the role!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6869021

I forgot to say that I saw Milk as well, and DH and I both really enjoyed it. Have to agree about Sean Penn. He is a terrific actor and a good person. Went out in his own boat to rescue people stranded on rooftops etc. in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and built some houses on his own dime for some of those who lost their houses. I always like it when a good actor also has a good soul.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6869253

Andidandi, we watched Le Placard, too. I like all of Veber's films. The first foreign film my kids ever saw, a long time ago, was his La Chevre and they adored it. Recently I found it and bought it online, and I was surprised to see that I thought it was at least as funny as I'd remembered its being. Veber has an interesting take on human relationships and it's also fun to see the French point of view.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6869286

Hmmm. Both sound interesting. DH and I love French films but I have never heard of these. We will add them to our queue, tout suite.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
11:38 AM

Post #6870242

If you like French films I can recommend lots of them, pajaritomt. Do you prefer comedies or drama? Agnès Jouai is another good director; I really liked Un Air de Famille and Le Goût des Autres. There are also some beautiful films made from Marcel Pagnol's books, especially La Gloire de Mon Père and Le Château de Ma Mère. And then there's Le Papillon, with Michel Serrault, about a child who stows away on a trip to hunt butterflies with an elderly neighbor.

I order some of my films from Amazon.fr because my DVD player is region-neutral, but the problem with that is that they don't say whether there are subtitles. I'm okay if there are at least subtitles in French, but without anything I have trouble following what's going on. One film I ordered from Amazon here turned out to have subtitles in Dutch. That was worse than none because you kept trying to read them, and I couldn't turn them off.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6870562

DH probably can read some French but mine is very poor. I guess we could send them back if they don't have English subtitles. But I will hang on to your list. We have enjoyed Francois Truffault ( spell french even worse than I understand french) and others I can't remember, but would love to see more.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6870618

I didn't bother to ship them back, since they would have had to go to France. They weren't that expensive. One of them coincidentally was aired on TV5 Monde a few weeks after I got it, and they always do subtitles so we were able to watch it and figure out what we'd missed. I really wished I had TIVO so I could have saved it, though.

The ones I mentioned are good for starters and can be found here, with subtitles.

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6877313

We just finished watching "Knowing" with Nicholaus Cage. It was a great movie. Very different. I didn't quite expect it to end to way it did.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #6878807

DH and I just finished watching the reader. We both thought it was an outstanding film. Though it may not have had the best reviews, we thought it was nothing short of outstanding. Winslet and Finnes were incredibly good as was the man who played the law professor. What a beautiful movie about the way people really are.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6884944

Saw Frost vs Nixon last night and loved it! I think the guy that played Nixon was superb. Too bad they don't have ties when giving Oscars. Frank Langella deserved the 2009 Oscar as well as winner Sean Penn.

Director Ron Howard was so great at filming the interview in a way that suggested a boxing match or a mental chess game. A+++
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 30, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6885160

i liked frost/nixon too and agree with all you just posted
nixon was a strange man--i think that film just reminded and expanded on just how strange he was--sort of a sad character really-- that one scene where he asked "it must feel great to be liked --i've never had that"-------------i am not quoting exact but you remember the part i mean right?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6885621

I am eager to see Frost-Nixon. Saw it at the local move store last night but DH wanted to see I Have Loved You for so Long. It is another movie about a woman who has been in prison but with a happier ending. Unfortunately, I thought The Reader was a better film. The mystery in Loved You seemed contrived to me, but Kristen Scott Harris's acting was superb as Juliette.

Maybe we will get Frost-Nixon tonight. I am getting to watch lots of films because DH is off work due to hip surgery and is bored silly. I love watching movies but he only does it when desperate.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6885754

I really enjoyed I Have Loved You for So Long. I forget where we got it; we may have borrowed it from our kids who got it from Netflix. The tension between the characters was played convincingly and I was pleasantly surprised to see it all work out in the end.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6885779

Yes, the ending was lovely. Have you seen The Reader? It is darker but quite good. Kate Winslet got an Academy Award for her performance in it. I think she richly deserved it.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6886547

No, I haven't seen The Reader. I forget what it's about. I tend to avoid films that are depressing, and I'm wondering if The Reader is in that category. We did see The Visitor, and even though parts were sad it was an excellent film. Did you see that?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6887979

No, I haven't seen The Visitor and can't remember hearing about it, but I will look it up and see what it is like.
The film The Reader has to do with a young man's first sexual experience and a woman who was a guard in a Nazi concentration camp and her trial. It is both sad and joyous and if I say anything more than that, I would definitely be spoiling it. I found it uplifting but some of the outcomes are very sad. The acting is intense and wonderful. That's all I am willing to say. To me it made me thoughtful about what imprisonment does to people -- just as The Shawshank Redemption did -- and I don't consider that a depressing film. But The Reader is not light stuff.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6888515

Not for me, then. I thought it was like that. I try to avoid films and books about the Holocaust, having been overly saturated with them as a child because my mother read a lot about that abomination.

Check out The Visitor on Amazon - that's where I get a lot of my ideas about films. They usually have good descriptions and the reviews are interesting.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6888949

can't wait to watch the Reader per comments made here.
Yes, Linda, that Nixon line stayed w/ me for a while.
will have to look into Loved You and the Visitor
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6889137

I rented Frost/Nixon locally yesterday, hopefully will see it tonight -- on the recommendations here.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 31, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6889351

in the reader does the movie closely follow the book? i saw and loved the movie
the woman was very interesting in both her honesty and her defense of actions-- there is no black and white even in something as horrible as the holocost---i felt she was both complicated and yet very simple if that makes sense--- punishing her relieved the guilt others felt which i guess is often the case--
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6889415

I think you have just stated the point of the movie -- that the holocaust was no where near as simple as prosecuting the offenders for their crimes. When was it a crime and when was she doing her job as told? I thought it was a very good point. The woman was clearly a very good and obedient worker as we are all encouraged to be. The question is was she wrong morally and/or legally? Morally yes, but legally? That is harder. Anyhow she paid a terrible price for not telling her secret in court. It probably would have helped her.
I think this movie also makes a point of not being open to other people about painful topics -- living a lie so to speak.
I haven't read the book, so I don't know if the movie follows it. It would be worth reading, I bet. Actually both movies are about the harm in keeping painful secrets.
In I Have Loved You for So Long, I didn't find it credible that this woman would have been able to keep her son's illness a secret for so many years. Nor do I think the parents would have been able to keep Juliette's conviction secret from her younger sister. That sort of murder would have been in all the papers and the entire town would have known, if not the whole world. Someone would have blabbed to the younger sister. Nor do I think it was realistic of the older sister to hold a grudge against the younger sister for not visiting until the end of her sentence. She was only 8 years old when her sister was sent to prison and if the parents didn't take her to visit she couldn't go. I thought the younger sister was quite admirable for helping her once she got out. It really shows how important family is for people who have been incarcerated.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6889799

Somehow I thought that the situation with the woman's son occurred far enough away from the parents and sister that they wouldn't necessarily have been exposed to the newspaper coverage. I should watch the movie again knowing the denouement and see what I think; I didn't know what her crime had been for most of the film, so it was hard for me to judge what was going on. Of course, you probably didn't know either! I was also under the impression that she had kept her son's illness a secret, so no one, not even the sentencing judge, knew why she killed him.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6889915

Yes, that was my impression as well. And where it really breaks down is, wouldn't the husband have known something was wrong with the son? Wouldn't he have been less likely to testify against her if he knew the boy was dying and in pain? I had the feeling they all lived in the same town because Juliette took her son Pierre to the "Green House" the night before he died. It was a place the two girls had enjoyed going as kids. They must have been in the same town -- or at least nearby. For me this was a major hole in the plot -- but I thought the emotions and acting were all appropriate, but the actual facts were a little unrealistic. But she does feel better after she shares her guilty secret. So the them is very similar to The Reader.
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6898686

I rented "Sicko" a few weeks back. It's Michael Moore's documentary on the American managed health-care system. I've always considered insurance companies to be a necessary evil, but this movie was a real eye-opener. It's a very politcally charged movie, but I think it would be very difficult to argue against its message. I would highly recommend renting it.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 2, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6898766

michael moore is someone i really cannot stand! however i know that much of what he says is so true and needs to be said--i just find it so hard to remember that when he annoys me so much LOL
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6898832

Michael Moore is a bit abrasive, but I appreciate his message in Sicko and in his other movies. Sometimes it takes someone as obnoxious as he is to get the public involved. Personally, I am glad he does it. I haven't seen Sicko but I am familiar with his message. I am sure I will eventually see it.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 2, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6898851

you are right of course--the message is what is important-more so than the messenger--just my mind doesn't always stay with my logic!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6901618

I finally got to see Frost/Nixon. I really enjoyed it. Don't remember what I was doing at the time of the real Frost/Nixon debates, but I was a young teacher and deeply absorbed in whatever I was doing. I was aware that they were going on, but didn't pay much attention at the time. It was great for me to go back and see it portrayed along with a fascinating back story. It was very, very lucky that David Frost had James Reston working for him and that Reston didn't quit in spite of grave doubts about the whole thing. Reston saved the day in the end, but also changed his mind about television. Frost was clearly a guy with huge foresight. And he was also extremely interesting.
The portrayal of Nixon's personality was also fascinating -- the calls in the night, the dirty tricks he kept playing on Frost and yet the elegant words to Frost after it was all over. I felt sympathy for Nixon when I saw it, even though he admitted being way out of line. A fine interview and film about it.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6901633

My new netflix film is The Wrestler w/ Micky Rourke. I never could make time this w/end to watch it. I'm sorry, but Mickey is just not easy on the eyes and I really have to prepare myself to watch him for 2 + hours.

Pajarito, glad you liked Frost/Nixon.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6901788

I did like Frost/Nixon and The Wrestler is another I have wanted to see. Do let me know how you like it.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6905645

No wonder I was postponing watching The Wrestler. To me, it was absolutely dreadful. It is the life of a has-been wrestler, self described as a burnt out piece of meat. Rent this movie only if:
1) you are extremely curious about the wrestling world
2) you want to see semi-nude shots of Marisa Tomei
3) you are a Mickey Rourke groupie

I guess this movie was an oscar contender b/c of the strong emotions it ellicits. It is very raw. I was grossed out by the gore of the wrestling matches and was horrified that a man & a woman could be so broken down. I watched it late last night and went to bed afraid I would have nightmares, lol. Silly me, I should have stopped it after 15 min. into it.

Marisa Tomei does an excellent job of portraying a pitiful, aging exotic dancer. Mickey Rourke does an excellent job of portraying a loser, oddball human being, but how much of his role was "acting" and how much was MR being himself remains a mystery to me.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6905976

Hmmm. Don't know if I will watch it or not after your description. I do like serious acting, but not the blood and gore. And some movies are just to depressing. At the very minimum this one will move to the bottom of my list.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6906236

I am always bashing the mindless romantic comedies; well, after The Wrestler, I was BEGGING for 3 of those movies to get me out of the funk, lol. Don't rent it pajarito.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6906284

Thanks for the warning, and I don't like romantic comedies either. If it takes 3 of them to recover from The Wrestler, that must be one gruesome movie!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6915781

I finally saw Australia last night. It is a very corny movie, but I learned a lot about Australia from it. There was a lot about Australia in World War II which I knew nothing about -- apparently they were bombed by Japan and invaded at least to some degree. There was a lot of beautiful scenery and Nichole Kidman does Proud and Determined, very well. There was quite a bit about the history and role of the aborigines in the movie and that was quite interesting.
It was not the most wonderful movie I ever saw, but I have no regrets about having watched it even if it was a corny here and there.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6915867

hello everyone..been lurking here...just started Neflex..too..got Red Violin...for last night..hahaha..might have been good..but I do not speak..what ever the language...so what a waste..for sure..Maybe I should have asked for the English version???? no clue...anyway..it looked good..but I was at a lost...

smiles..Diana..
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6915913

When you first start up one of those DVDs you usually have an opportunity to choose the language. It's usually under Setup or Languages. That also permits you to choose subtitles or not. Did you miss that option? Although to tell you the truth I had one DVD player that couldn't do the English subtitles on Santitos. But another one I had could. If you haven't sent it back, you might try that.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6915987

I remember The Red Violin. That was a good movie. Did you figure out the secret? :)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6918379

pajarito, exactly what you said about Australia.

Wantavbe, your dvd player should give up option to choose language.

Our Netflix rental last night was In Her Shoes. I really liked it a lot, DH not so much as he considered it a chick flick. He already told me he's picking the next one and it will be a shoot-them-up or kung-fu movie, sigh. Matrimonial give and take...

IHS made me a little sad b/c I don't have sisters so I don't know what that bond is like. I think the director did an excellent job of explaining the strength and power of sisterly love. The relationshop w/grandma was wonderfully explored too.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6918452

May have to catch In Her Shoes. I appreciate what you say about matrimonial give and take. DH likes horror movies which I cannot abide. He dislikes some that I love, though I find it hard to predict what he will dislike. I did figure out that I shouldn't take him to see Waitress He dislikes chic flics, also, but I have Taxi to the Darkside from Netflix and he doesn't want to see it. I can't figure out why. It certainly isn't a chic flic.
Last night we watched Revolutionary Road with Leonard DeCaprio and Kate Winslet. Talk about great acting on everybody's part. But the subject is grim. It is the story of a fifties family that decides to chuck it all and move to Paris where the wife would work and the husband would "find himself". It is a careful study of fifties marital issues and is, as far as I am concerned, an excellent film. Both DeCaprio and Winslet put on outstanding performances. The outcome is very sad, but it makes a good point about roles in a traditional marriage and what they can do to us. Not a chick flic though. It is very solidly focused on both members of the marriage and on all their friends.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2009 9:11 AM

This message was edited Aug 7, 2009 9:12 AM

This message was edited Aug 7, 2009 9:18 AM
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6918543

Well sent it back..did not know about the opinions...lol..we are not into electonics for sure..too old I guess..oh well..Maybe one day we can rent it again...(Red Violin)...and play around and watch it..keep these movies coming..I am lurking..lol...thanks for all the info...smiles.Diana...
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2009

Post #6918694

I am a bit hard of hearing, Wantabe, and as a result I have trouble understanding lots of these movies even with my hearing aids on -- especially if there is an accent. I learned to go to set up and turn on subtitles in English which is available on almost all DVDs. Sometimes they even say English for the hearing impaired. My hearing isn't all that bad, but when watching Shakespeare, I want to actually understand what they are saying and seeing it in writing really helps.
You aren't too old, just inexperienced. If you run into this again just play with this feature.
BTW, The Red Violin is a really good movie if you can hear it in your language!
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6919901

Hehehe...well we can always rent it again...thanks for the advice...smiles.Diana.. ps...we can not find the instructions..for the player..lol..so you see..we have a problem...lol
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #6920276

I am not sure I know where the instructions are for our player. We learned all this by trying this and that. Notice when a movie first starts up on a DVD there are several items you can select besides "Play". one of those items is usually "Setup", :"Languages" or "Sub-Titles". Try this next time you have a DVD. You will figure it out. I don't think the manuals usually cover all this stuff anyhow -- they tell you what all the buttons are for.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6921808

A lot of DVD players have a button on the remote labelled "subtitles", which you can use to toggle through the choices. The one on our region-neutral Toshiba didn't work well, though.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6922464

I have never noticed such a button on ours, but I haven't looked all that carefully. Our player is also region neutral because DH likes films from all over the world.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6922498

We do mostly French. The Toshiba was not a good buy, though. The subtitles often ended up being hidden by the bottom edge of the screen. We got a Phillips instead and are having much better luck with it. Which one do you have?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6922565

We have a Pioneer elite. It runs several different types of DVDs, Type1 and Type 2 and PAL and others. We have had no problems with it. It works like a champ. DH bought it on the internet, but we got the recommendation from a local electronics and music store that was going out of business. DH did tons of research before coming up with this one. It seems to be a champ. I gather you like your Phillips as well.

Last night I watched Taxi to the Dark Side, a documentary on the US's use of torture. I had already heard of most of the stuff in it in the news, but it was a very different matter to see it all organized into a documentary. It is pretty appalling what we did and particularly appalling that only low level soldiers were prosecuted for following the orders of their superiors. The superiors were all pardoned by a bill in Congress. Pretty sad. But an excellent film.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6924319

I'm perfectly satisfied with the Phillips. It's region-neutral, but I had to set it that way after it came. Luckily someone on Amazon referenced the steps to take; it was not at all intuitive and of course the manual was no help.

I would NOT like that film. What I know of the use of torture appalls me enough already, and I assumed that it was just the underlings who were getting penalized for it. What else is new?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6925054

You are absolutely right about the underlings, who had no clue what was going on, were penalized for following their orders. Their "superiors" who had actually ordered the torture were not prosecuted though the film showed at least one of them ordering them to do what they did. It was appalling. I thought it was worth seeing because it cited chapter and verse of what went wrong in the prisons of Afganistan, how those methods were shipped to Abu Graib in Iraq, and from Guantanamo to both. It was disturbing in the good sense. It showed the kinds of things we need to be paying attention to in our government. It wasn't so much enjoyable as educational but it was very well done -- showing how many internal voices were raised against what was going on in these prisons.
But I understand your not wanting to see such a film. Such goings on are not easy to watch. I found it appalling and disgusting, but I also thought it was important for me to see it. It is now being argued that the people responsible for this torture should be prosecuted. I felt I needed to have some feeling for whether I thought the should or not. This film definitely helped me decide.
I am pleased your current DVD player is working out. I don't do much other than watch ours. It was DH who took on the research and who, indeed, has the most interest in seeing material from various countries around the world. But I have to say that our DVD player has not disappointed us.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6925312

That's very fair of you; from what I had been reading I had no doubts that the people at the top should be prosecuted. If we feel that the Nuremberg trials were appropriate, then logically the perpetrators here should be tried as well. It is appalling that instead those who were simply following orders and acting in accordance with the climate that had been established should have been penalized so mercilessly. Granted they were wrong, but if they were at fault, how much more grievous is the guilt of those who allowed them to behave that way, and at times even encouraged it?

Re DVD players, when I want to buy something like that I usually check out the reviews on Amazon. I just looked up the Pioneer Elite; which one do you have? They're a lot more expensive than the one I have but they sound like they're really high quality.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6925753

i would not be able to watch that film either-but am glad you posted about it--i have mixed feelings about it-if i felt someone was able to give information that would save lives i could justify using strong methods of getting that information--but how strong? who decides? how do you know if the person has the information? when ordering someone else to do the torture does that person have the ability to refuse on moral grounds? who oversees that torture doesn't end up being a peverted past time? and how very sad for the "underlings" who get that order!
i am against it as ugly, evil and cruel--but what if it saved my son?
on the other hand what wouldn't someone say under those conditions so how much can you trust what info you get?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6925781

Well, I have to agree that the superiors should be prosecuted. There is video evidence of at least one of them explaining how the prisoners should be tortured, but the film also demonstrates the ways superiors used to distance themselves from the orders they were giving. Those who ordered the torture were very clever in the ways they tried to cover their tracks. Still, I am convinced if they were tried in a court of law they would be found guilty and I support such trials for all who ordered the torture, not just the guards who did the torturing.

As for our player, I think DH paid about $500 for it. It is the Pioneer Elite DV-45av. This one appears to be similar. They seem to have come down in price a bit since we got ours -- probably nearly a year ago.
http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/pioneer45.htm
We were told that sellers were supposed to agree not to sell region free DVD players in the US, but some how there are some on the market.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6925800

Your doubts are well founded planolinda. The film makes the point that the intelligence they received from the torture was completely unreliable. Those tortured made up stuff to get them to stop torturing them. But in many cases the torture went on beyond what was needed to get even the unreliable information and resulted in death. The information that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction came from such torture and proved to be completely wrong, to the grave embarrassment of Colin Powell who said using it in his speech to the UN turned out to be the most embarrassing moment of his life.
I actually got a lot out of this film, but it wasn't for the fainthearted.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6925959

I got into a discussion once with a judge (in a social setting, of course!) when the Abu Graib situation first hit the news. He assumed that my objections to what was happening were due to my being a "liberal." Although I don't know what's wrong with that, I told him that actually I objected because we were violating the Geneva Convention and taking the low moral ground, thereby endangering our own people should they be captured, for very dubious results. I had heard a government expert on torture noting that information obtained in that manner was often incorrect anyway; someone in pain will admit to anything to have it stop. So we were engaging in heinous behavior, blackening our image worldwide, and not even profiting from it. I'm still not sure whether the ends ever justify the means even in other situations, but obviously not in this one.

Anyway, that gave him something to think about.

I looked at the Pioneer and loved the fact that it allowed you to skip the FBI warnings and the commercials. How would you record from it, though, if you only have one DVD player?
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6925998

I don't know how we would record it. We never do that. I suspect DH could put the input into a DVD recorder, but aren't most DVDs protected from copying? Actually, we rarely watch a movie twice, so we don't have much need to record any.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6926021

I'll be darned. I also do not copy movies as the chances I'll watch again, no matter how good, are pretty slim. Too many out there that I need to see anyway. I was intrigued about a recording DVD, and sure enough there is one. I found it in Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HDRW720-Recorder-Hard-Drive/dp/B00022PUDI

In the years when kids were young and living at home, this would have been a must get, but not now.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6926281

I notice that the recording DVD is unavailable -- at least on Amazon. I wonder if they sold out or if they company no longer sells them?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6926433

We do watch movies over again; I reread, too. I just rewatched La Gloire de Mon Père, from Marcel Pagnol's book of the same name. It's just beautiful, about a family and the place in the hills of Provence where they summered when the author was a child. I needed to see something lovely as an antidote to Un Deux Trois Soleil, which neither DH nor I could finish watching. It was both surrealistic and violent.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6926717

Aw, well you guys are really into it..hehehe..this player.was a gift from our granddaughter..it was all the money she had...and she was proud to buy it for us..Soooo..I do not know what it does..lol..Not much I am sure...as long as it will play...that is good enough ..for us..You guys are a real help..for sure...

thanks again for the info...Smiles..Diana..
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6927368

Well, I think it was a great gift and the problems you were having have nothing to do with the player itself -- I believe. As far as I know, one can set subtitles on any DVD player.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6927532

aw, you bet...that was a great gift...for sure..I am sure..it is there...just need to play around..

smiles..
Diana...
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6947182

Bucket List...watched that last night...We both (hubby and me) liked it..best so far..lol...from 1-10...we gave it a 8...hope more will be that good..lol..smiles..Diana...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6949442

The Take--John Leguizamo and Rosie Perez as Latino husband and wife, hardworking good family people in East LA. He is a driver for a money truck company like Brinks, his truck is hijacked and a violent theft occurs. The movie is shot in an up close and personal. real life style, the story gets into the family/ relationship end of the events as much as it does show a vigilante ending to the chain of events. Good acting, great role for Rosie Perez
Pretty interesting, rated R
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6949466

Sounds great. I like Rosie Perez. I saw here in something else and she was quite good.
We watched David Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner last night -- until I fell asleep. It is supposed to be really good, but I have always had problems with David Mamet. We will try again tonight and see if I can stay awake. It is very repetitive and confusing. Maybe if I make it to the end, it will make sense. At least this Mamet isn't sexist -- at least not yet.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6956529

My weekend movie was The Reader. We liked the movie very much. Heavy subject but not the the kind that will leave you depressed like The Wrestler. Adult topic. I think Kate Winslet did a wonderful job and is deserving of the Oscar she won. How talented to be able to personify a character you read in some script, wow! True, the movie director can tell you stand here, say this, etc. but Kate Winslet gave "soul" to her complicated character.

As for the character itself, I decided she was a very flawed woman right from the very beginning of the movie when she meets the young teen. She was evil for manipulating the teen, she was evil for her role in nazi time, she was proud to the point of evil when would not admit her lack of one fundamental skill. So what if she was candid about her wrong deeds? Still bad deeds. But like all of us, she was human with good traits and bad traits. IMO, she just happened to be one of those humans w/ more bad than good. Ralph Fiennes always seems to play "sad sack" type of characters, and so does in this movie, but that was the storyline so...he did a good job.

I don't know if there is a lesson in this movie, maybe that all of us have good and evil inside of us. We should all hope & pray that we have more good than bad.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6957025

Glad you liked The Reader. I liked it a lot, too. For me the lesson was that in maintaining a shameful secret ( like not being able to read), we commit terrible atrocities that cut us off from the world and for no good reason. It was a sad story, but not a depressing one. It shows us something about human behavior that we don't usually see.
Last night we finished The Spanish Prisoner. I had fallen asleep in it the first time we tried watching it. I was tired, but it was also very repetitive and disconnected and impossible to understand. Then I happened to look at the viewers' reviews of it on Netflix and I read one that said the first 45 minutes were disconnected and impossible to make sense of but to hang in there and see the end and it will all make sense. Well that viewer was right and if it weren't for her I doubt if we would have finished it. It does turn out to be a better movie than most Mamet films and I rather liked it. It is all about how a young man who has invented a "process" that is going to make a huge amount of money for his company is conned and set up to get the process away from him. In the end, the mystery is solved and I won't say any more than that about the ending.
I am glad we finished it. The female lead is Mamet's wife and she is quite good -- Rebecca Pidgeon. The male lead is good, too, but I have forgotten his name.

We have The Horse Whisperer next. DH doesn't want to see it because it he says he might get an overdose of sugar. He doesn't like sappy movies. I don't really either, but I want to see if that is truly the case in The Horse Whisperer. I am really curious about what all this whispering is about -- the Horse Whisperer, the Dog Whisperer, etc. Hope that is revealed in this film.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6960897

When my stepson was very young, 1-2 grade, he was extremely slow to learn how to read and unfortunately nobody paid much attention, other than his older brother to humiliate him. Created a lot of low self esteem issues and it was an uphill battle to get him on track. When I married DH, I wasn't aware this was going on, so I enter the pic with a "tween" not wanting to do homework, read instructions, etc. It took me about 6 mo. to figure out what was going on. I started him on those no-brainer crossword puzzles to improve his vocabulary and hired an educational therapist who did WONDERS. She started him on the Harry Potter books and the goal was attained when my baby actually asked to go to Barnes & Noble to "look around". I have never driven so fast to anywhere, lol.

All this to say that I know 2nd hand the shame in being illiterate. To this date SS will not acknowledge he could barely read but we don't emphasize that. Today, he's getting his 2nd reclass in the military and he's very proud of himself. The sweetest irony is that he will be a trainer after being such a slow learner himself. Ah, life is wonderful. I love you Jordan.

Shame is a very powerful devil's tool and I bet there isn't a human being that has not made mistakes directly or indirectly related to shame. Pajarito, I guess you're right that was a big part of The Reader.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6960940

What a marvelous story, vossner. I am so glad you figured out that your stepson needed your help and that you found the right help for him -- and you got it for him when he was young and resilient and could learn quickly. After a while the shame can even prevent learning, as in the case of the woman in The Reader. And such shame can occur in areas other than reading -- I think of it particularly in sexual abuse -- which was also part of The Reader. The reader actually sexually abused the young man she had an affair with and he was ashamed of it all his life and couldn't get close to his wife, his children or his mother because of his shame.
This is like the shame of rape and sexual abuse victims. That shame becomes crippling until they can open up and admit that it happened that it wasn't their fault.
That's what I like about this movie. It shows us how keeping dirty secrets and destroy our lives.

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6971605

Watched "Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballrom Dancing & Charm School" last night. I'm not exactly sure how that got put on our list but it was a good movie. A lot of well known actor's had cameo roles in it. About a baker making a delivery and comes across an automobile accident. He keeps the victim (John Goodman) talking until the ambulance gets there then goes in the ambulance with him. He agrees to go to the meeting that the man was going to in order to meet a woman. Anyhow, good movie.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6971874

Glad to hear about Marilyn Hotchkiss. If it was a good movie, I better put it on my queue.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7006769

We were watching some kind of 'movie discussion' show- can't remember what- but we heard mention of 'The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3' from the 1970's. Hubby rented it this weekend. It was darn good! Walter Matthau is a transit cop supervisor , the main character, in charge when four men hijack a subway train in New York. Kept us guessing, with some oddball things thrown in for fun too.

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #7013409

Just saw "And Then She Found Me" with Helen Hunt and Bett Midler. Very good. Also saw "In the Electric Mist" with Tommy Lee Jones. I don't usually like cops & robbers type movies but this was fairly good.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

October 13, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7163319

Andidandi, we finally saw The Closet which I'd had the tech guy put in the Netflix cue quite a while back. I haven't laughed so hard at a French film since the original La Cage aux Folles in 1978! Great little movie. Undoubtedly one of the funniest sex scenes ever.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:22 AM

Post #7163822

Hmmm. I better get that one in my queue!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #7164214

I saw that one, too. It was really funny. We just watched The Visitors, another French film; this one is a classic about a 12th century duke transported to current-day France with his servant and it's hysterical.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7164476

Hmmm. Another one for my list. We have not watched a movie since my last post about movie watching. Too much going on. Hopefully I can watch one before too long.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #7252258

Okay, we got these at the local movie store, not netflix, but if you can get them at the local movie store, you can get them at netflix.

1) Traitor -- called on IMDB a thinking man's spy thriller. I would submit it works well for thinking women. It involves arabic and terrorisms and bombings and spies etc. etc. Very thrilling and pretty sensitive to all sides. Both DH and I really liked it.

2) Burn After Reading -- hilarious Coen brothers movie in the vein of Fargo -- but different. Very funny in a Coen brothers sort of way.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 11, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7263279

Traitor is going on our list- thanks!
Burn after Reading- we did enjoy, even DH who is not a fan of Clooney. But G Clooney was so funny.

We've watched a few oddball ones recently that left us mostly scratching our heads." Adam Resurrected" , ; um, a Korean serial killer flick (that was pretty good , well kind of) ; and one about a cab driver who tries to befriend a loner kind of guy he meets. And one produced by Jada Pinkett Smith, that last one not so bad really but was kind of weird and I still can't find a message/ theme to make it worthwhile. (But It was worth it to me to see the actor who played Stringer Bell (The Wire) in it.)
I figure if its not pure entertainment./ escapism then there must be some concept or message that the producer wanted to convey--?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7263443

I'm also not a Clooney fan. Can't see why girls are so crazy about him. Just can't see it. Same for his talent...just can't see it. Maybe he doesn't pose naked often enough for me to have a change of heart...

We rented Ladron, a modern day version of Robin Hood produced and directed in Spain. Good enough if there is absolutely nothing else to watch...

Burn After Reading was just as raw as No Country for Old Men, and just WHY did they have to kill Brad Pitt???
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7263452

My DSS is visiting and we watched "The Hangover". Lots of profanity and sophomoric but still enjoyable. Took me back to the days when I wasn't so angelic.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7264438

Hmmm! The Hangover sounds like fun. I do like George Clooney in almost everything. I like his acting and his looks. Guess it's just a matter of taste. Luckily, not everyone likes the same thing. I thought he was outstanding in Syriana and in Good Night and Good Luck. Just me.
I saw Everything is Illuminated when I was at the farm in Mississippi. It is pretty highly rated in netflix. My friend and I saw it and mostly went , "Huh?". I think it is pretty good, but no were near as good as they think it is on Netflix.
I would think it would mean a lot to people with Jewish ancestry, especially Ukranian jewish ancestry. Certainly does touch strongly on the atrocities of the war or rather series of wars on these people.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7268974

Okay, DH brought home a good one last night -- primarily because it was BluRay and he has a brand new BluRay player. It was called "Away We Go" and was very funny, and sweet and human -- at least we thought so. Not earth shaking but with a good point. If you don't demanted rip-snorting action, this is a good one.
ceceoh
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #7269229

I've been wanting to see that, too. It has that young man from The Office, doesn't it? I've read so many good things about that film.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7269946

Let's keep chatting here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055833/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7305950

Just watched Grey Gardens (HBO). I liked it a lot! I was surprised at how good Drew Barrymore was, and not surprised at how good Jessica Lange was. I found it very thought provoking. The mother is slightly wacko, the daughter has dreams and aspirations, but the mother kind of squelches them to get her daughter to live with her as they live off a trust and let the house deteriorate around them. It was not depressing to me tho maybe it sounds it. I guess it would have been very depressing had not Jackie O gotten wealthy and stepped in to 'rescue' them.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7306322

I have been interested in that one, too. I have liked another HBO film really well -- Angels in America. They seem to do quality stuff.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #7307796

I had heard about Grey Gardens on NPR and thought it sounded really interesting.

We just watched Away We Go, about a couple who discover that they're having a baby and his parents, instead of wanting to be there for their grandchild, suddenly decide to move to Belgium for two years. The couple decides that if his parents are leaving there is no reason for them to stay where they are, since they just moved there to be near them. So they travel around, visiting friends in different places to see where they want to live. It's funny and touching, but definitely rated R. We enjoyed it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2009
6:37 AM

Post #7308056

Yes about the R rating, but a good movie for adults. We liked it, too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #7308241

I watched the commentary option last night on Grey Gardens; the wholething cuz I found it fascinating. The extent to which they captured details for authenticity, and how closely the actresses resembled the real Edies, was amazing! I don't watch commentaries much so this somewhat of an education in general on filmmaking

I'll be getting Away We Go
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 25, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #7309006

didn't really like away we go--had to stop--it was just too over the top in my opinion--
but my husband did watch to the end and said it sort of came together and was pretty good after all--
we watched flash of genious yesterday--hbo
about the guy who invented the delayed windshield wiper and got ripped off by ford--not the greatest movie but worth watching because the story was so interesting! and true--i bet that happens way more than we know--big corporations stealing the ideas of the "little guy" and then just having the lawyers and money to outlast and out play them--
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7309069

But the little guy in the case you mention eventually won a big law suit against Ford and got paid many millions. Haven't seen the movie but know the story. Don't know if he had won when the movie was made.
I think you are right that this kind of thing happens a lot. I know that code I wrote in my job was eventually licensed to the head developer and all of us who wrote code for him should get some royalties, but we had no reasonable recourse.
And I know of far worse cases than that. Protecting intellectual property from those with a lot of lawyers is a big problem. I was very happy for the windshield wiper guy's win. Would love to see more of that.
Sorry Away We Go was too much for you. I could easily see how that could happen. That's why I didn't say it was the best movie ever, but we liked it, all told. The point of that movie is that you can't really pin your hopes for the future on being with any one but yourself. I got such a kick out of the fact that the parents decided to move to Belgium just as their kid and his wife decided to move to be with them. Sounds just like something my parents would have done. I guess I liked this movie because it spoke to the need to become independent -- even though it is lonely. The ending was nice. But agreed all the friends and the parents were bizarre.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7309212

Please remember that vossner has started a new thread since this one is so long. Link above.
Thanks

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 8:16 AM
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

November 26, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #7310154

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055833/
andidandi
Arlington, VA

January 11, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7450926

tomatofreak-

I wasn't around for a while, but I am glad you enjoyed The Closet.

-A

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America