Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Can annual seed's freeze?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 4, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Polyacre
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 4b)

February 3, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6088286

I have seeds/ annual's and veggies/ stored in a shed that lost power for about 3 weeks. Totally forgot the seeds were in there untill yesterday. Are these seeds going to be viable? I guess I just need to test a few from each package to see if I will have a successful germination.. Or do you think I am good to go?
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6089343

You won't have any problems if your seed has been protected from absorbing moisture.
Mother nature goes through a freezing cycle with all plants. Many of which are annuals. The wintersowing forum here can help out.
There is an interesting seed vault called the Doomsday Vault in Norway you might be interested in reading about. Just Google it.
Alot of people store their seed in the frig or freezer.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6090148

It will also depend on what your "annuals" were. Many things that are sold as annuals are actually perennials that just aren't hardy in colder zones, and plants that are really tropical/tender perennials rather than true annuals may not survive being frozen for three weeks since they would never experience those conditions in their native climate.
Polyacre
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 4b)

February 4, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6092634

Gosh, I sure hope they make it !! Thanks for the great advise. I am going to go check out those web sites right now. Sounds like they would be great reading!

I am going to test some of them tonight and see if they have made it.

Thanks for the replies

Poly
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6121901

as long as the seeds kept dry it doesnt matter they are still viable since it would mean that every time florida or california get cold weather all the annuals would disapear but what happens is that the plants dies and it comes back from seed the seed that froze but are sill viable

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America