Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Upper Midwest Gardening: Chicago Winter Weather

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

February 3, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6089054

Found this summary of Chicago winter weather. Since my daughter lives there, I thought I'd pass this along to all you hardy souls from the Windy City.

CHICAGO TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

60 F: Arizonans shiver uncontrollably; people in Chicago sunbathe.

50 F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat; people in Chicago plant gardens.

40 F: Italian & English cars won't start; people in Chicago drive with the windows down.

32 F: Distilled water freezes; Lake Michigan 's water gets thicker.

20 F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats; people in Chicago throw on a flannel shirt.

15 F: New York landlords finally turn up the heat; people in Chicago have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0 F: All the people in Phoenix die. Chicagoans close the windows.

10 below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico . The Girl Scouts in Chicago are selling cookies door to door.

25 below zero: Hollywood disintegrates; people in Chicago get out their winter coats.

40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air; people in Chicago let the do gs sleep indoors.

100 below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Chicagoans get frustrated because they can't start 'da car.'

460 below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin s cale); people in Chicago start saying, 'cold 'nuff for ya?'

500 below zero: Hell freezes over. The Cubs win the World Series

duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 4, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6090479

very cute. My sister lives WAY down south in Chicago. (smile) I'll have to send this to her. Thank you.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6117008

Oh heavens... that is funny.

I've pretty much lived here all my life, so i can relate to some of that.

it was a year or so ago... even when it was in the 20's - i slept with my windows open.
and eyes, we do BBQ in the winter some times.

love the hell freezes over and the Cubs in the Series. What a hoot.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6122689

Very cute! Especially since it actually did hit 60 F here today, and I and the kids WERE outside trying to get a little sun all afternoon! ;) We use the grill year-round as well (unless the snow is piled too high on top of it)!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6123490

Yesterday I put out a lawn chair cushion and laid on the back patio for a while... OH that sun felt good!! Of course, it's raining and foggy now.

Forgot to add...

it was so nice to open all the windows and doors, turn the heat off [which it still is] and get some fresh air.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 7:59 AM
textilis
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6129019

Very funny!
Imagine it another 400 miles north in Minnesota...
We're a hardy bunch up here!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America