Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: when should I remove from heat and humidity dome?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 7, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
noQgarderner
Black Creek, WI

February 4, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6089781

Should I take the plants off the heat mat as soon as they sprout? when should I take the dome off?
Thanks in advance.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6090136

I would turn off the heat mat as soon as the majority have sprouted, otherwise they can get leggy. I would also remove the dome at that point, if you leave it on too long after that then it increases the chances of fungal issues like damping off. But with most seeds you'll have the best luck if you wean them off of the dome gradually rather than just taking it away altogether--there's a huge humidity difference between inside the dome and your house in the wintertime, so it's best to adjust them to the lower humidity gradually
noQgarderner
Black Creek, WI

February 4, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6093079

How do you wean them off the dome?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6094344

Take it off for a short period of time, then put it back on. Later in the day, take it off again for a little bit. Next day take it off for a bit longer, and keep increasing the time until it's off all of the time.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 5, 2009
7:47 AM

Post #6223781

You can wean plants off a dome by simply raising the dome using clothepins to prop it up 1". After a few day just raise the dome a bit more, etc.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 6, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6227103

I've never "weaned" seedlings "off the dome"; I just take the cover off, with no ill effects.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6227204

I can do that most of the time, but I've had a few seedlings react badly on occasion because of the sudden drop in humidity.
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

March 6, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6228025

I may have already left the dome on too long. Some (not all) of my sprouted seedlings have what looks like a fine white fuzz on their stems, near the soil. Is this the fungus you mentioned? Otherwise they look fine. What do seedlings that had too much humidity look like, and is the fungus contagious? (In other words do I have to dump the whole tray and start over again or can I wait and see if the other seedlings have develop those symptoms too?)

I am surprised at how WET my my seedling trays are this year (I don't remember them as such when I've sowed seeds before). I know I drained the trays well after pellets explanded.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America