Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: What to do if you get sent a bouquet of roses (or if you buy one for yourself): Read my mind.

Communities > Forums > Article: What to do if you get sent a bouquet of roses (or if you buy one for yourself)
bookmark
Forum: Article: What to do if you get sent a bouquet of roses (or if you buy one for yourself)Replies: 5, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6091301

I have been curious about all the above since recently purchasing roses for my daughter's birthday. She took them back to college and called me a few weeks later to say that they had sprouted new leaves. I advised my daughter to ask her Botany professor what was going on and haven't heard back yet. I bought mine from a local grocery chain that has a nice floral dept.--next to the produce dept. I couldn't believe how much less a dozen roses cost to purchase in-store than delivered by a florist & the selection ranged from yellow with red tips to buff with pink tips. We had plenty of vases on hand, so I just purchased the bouquet. Total cost: $15. At Wal-Mart, you pay only $10, but didn't look as fresh & smaller selection! We were curious as to where these beautiful and inexpensive roses came from in mid-winter and how to keep them fresh. We used the free food packet provided with our purchase. Thanks for doing the research and providing all the helpful tips. My daughter's room mate also enjoyed the roses, so I may start bringing flowers when I visit. : )

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6091586

Sprouted new leaves? Wow! Mine have never done that. . . it sounds like you got a bargain, too. In another 10 days those same roses will be twice as much, or unavailable.

Thanks for reading, and for that comment - sprouted new leaves . . . hmm hmm, thinking.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6091985

I don't think I've ever seen ANY florist flowers develop new leaves, but maybe I haven't paid much attention to the leaves. Carrie, your rose advice is right on. I often buy fresh flowers, especially during the winter when I have nothing growing-on in the garden. My favorite buy is a dozen beautiful roses from Fresh Market (a specialty grocery store) for $8.99 (they used to be $7.99). I've had them last for over 2 weeks using the method you describe. I don't change the water every day...I either don't have time or forget, but I do change it out and trim the stems about an inch every 2-3 days. I've had the leaves dry up before the blooms so I just go cut something green from outside to add to the bouquet.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6092567

When cut roses start to look sad, take them out of the vase, tie the stems together at the base and hang them upside down in a cool airy place. They will dry and you can keep them for months!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6092738

Nice suggestion, kniphofia! Thank you both for your comments.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6093842

Very good advice Carrie, and very nice article too.
Josephine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What to do if you get sent a bouquet of roses (or if you buy one for yourself) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You met in the driveway? threegardeners 4 Feb 4, 2009 7:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America