Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!!: Berries

Communities > Forums > Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!!Replies: 6, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 4, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6091369

Thank you, Darius, for this informative article on berries. Having just planted 2 plants each of Raspberry `Heritage' and Blueberry `Blue Crop,' I was delighted to read that you also have `Heritage' planted. I haven't grown raspberries before, but blueberries, yes. I wanted to try the currants, but as you stated, they are banned from NC. Great info here.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6091487

What a wonderful (and detailed!) overview. Thanks, Darius!

I loved the quotes you included, too... the Robert Frost poem is one of my special favorites!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6091691

Thanks, Gals. It was fun for me to read again too... I wrote it early last summer but then decided it should run about now when we are starting to think of things to plant this year.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 4, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6092082

Great article Daruis. For those in the lower zones, Honeyberries are becoming very popular here. http://www.albertahomegardening.com/introduction-to-haskap-berries-aka-honeyberries/

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6092331

What an interesting berry! Thanks for the link. :)
chinasue
Hallieford, VA

February 22, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6174872

Hi, I'm a new DG berry lover, from Mathews Co in Va. on the Chesapeake. I just pulled up 12-15 feet of laurels so I can put in blueberries in that sunny spot. Am going to buy from local nursery (am assuming they have varieties that do well here), containered plants, prob 2 yo. My Q: berry literature says to clip of rub off the buds for the first couple of years. Should I do this? Or since plants are 2 years or older, has this debudding been done as a matter of rule? Will buy a pH testing kit too. Is Extension service testing more accurate? Chinasue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6177821

Chinasue, I'd ask my local County Agent about de-budding. And, just because a local nursery has blueberry plants, do not assume they are locally grown. My experience is that very few of them propagate their own. Ask questions! You might also post in some of the trading forums here and/or check with local DG members. (There is a Member List on DG where you can put in your zip code to find others nearby.)

I know there is a nursery just outside Charlottesville that only sells stock they grow themselves. A bit expensive, but more likely to do well in your area. They have a website, ediblelandscaping.com and I have actually been there (when I was researching for this article last summer).

As to pH testing... my county agent here is SW Virginia has the soil test kits, but then we mail our samples to the soil lab at VT. I assume a university lab has better equipment than home test kits... but having said that, I always did my own pH tests on my swimming pool when I lived in Atlanta and was satisfied with the results. Perhaps you could do both home and county tests the first time for comparison?

Hope this helps.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful! adinamiti 6 Feb 5, 2009 4:50 PM
Wild Blueberries Devota 5 Feb 4, 2009 9:52 PM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Feb 4, 2009 6:49 PM
yup phicks 1 Feb 4, 2009 11:38 PM
Hands duchessdreams 2 Feb 5, 2009 11:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America