Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!!: Wild Blueberries

Communities > Forums > Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!!Replies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Devota
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6091544

I enjoyed your article on smaller fruits. I look forward to the article on Less Common Berries. Having tasted the wild blueberry I have a preference for it and wonder if it is possible to grow in a backyard setting.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6091737

Thanks. I love the wild berries too. Those I have transplanted from my hillside into my garden (black raspberries) so far seem to keep the wild taste. They are too newly transplanted to have put out runners yet, so I don't know if being among the tame ones will make a difference or not. JC has such mixed elevations and microclimate pockets that you'll just have to experiment.

The article on less common berries will be next Wednesday... it has a very long name which I have now forgotten. There are a couple that approximate wild blueberries; huckleberries come immediately to mind.
Devota
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6092838

Thanks. I will watch for the article. I have to confess that a neighbor [who will remain nameless in case what she did was illegal,] brought me back 5 wild blueberry plants from Alaska 2 summers ago and they didn't make it through the winter. However I have some other planting methods in mind. You know what this red clay is like here; I am thinking coco coir and containers.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6092921

Hi Darius! Great article! Have to disagree with you on the taste of red and black raspberries though. To me...they taste nothing alike! I grew up eating wild black raspberries...so of course that is my preference. To me...red raspberries taste like perfume smells.
Ahhh...and the blueberries. I like them all..but the little wild ones are the BEST!!!!
Huckleberries I don't care for at all.
Don't forget the elderberry either! My mother always made apple and elderberry pie. It was good! And mulberries...mmmmmmm! I used to make mulberry jelly...nothing like it! Ok...now I'm hungry again!
Keep up the good work!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6093445

Thanks Marcy... I haven't had enough black raspberries yet for a good taste test...maybe this summer, I hope.

Some of the huckleberry varieties are very different from each other even though related... I also liked saskatoons (which are somewhat like a wild blueberry) . I cover mulberries and elderberries in the next overview I think... I have 3 or 4 more articles on backyard orcharding coming up.
Devota
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6093560

Yippee Darius. Write on!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Backyard Orcharding: Itís the Berries!! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very useful! adinamiti 6 Feb 5, 2009 4:50 PM
Berries Hemophobic 6 Feb 23, 2009 2:47 PM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Feb 4, 2009 6:49 PM
yup phicks 1 Feb 4, 2009 11:38 PM
Hands duchessdreams 2 Feb 5, 2009 11:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America