Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Great throw together soup

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 19, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6097929

I've been on a mission lately to get my boyfriend to eat more veggies & I've come up with soup! He's really a meat & potatoes kind of guy, so I've decided to make soups with some of his favorite ingredients. Yesterday I made a smoked chicken/broccoli/sweet potato soup. I put some chicken breasts on the smoker for about an hour. Chopped that up & let it simmer in a little chicken broth with chopped onions until tender. We love ether sweet potatoes or butternut squash in soup, so I baked a few sweet potatoes & put the cooked chunks in the blender with a little broth. Then some fresh broccoli went into the blender. These were combined with the chicken in more broth & simmered for about an hour. Then a handful of orzo & a pack of frozen mixed veggies went in. Salt & pepper to taste. And since we like it hot, a good sprinkling of smoked chipolte powder.

Really, really good! I've done a similar one with smoked beef chuck steak. The next one will be a smoked pork steak one. These aren't too high in calories and there are a lot of veggies in the mix.
Jo-Ann
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 5, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6098323

Can I come over?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 5, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6098392

Sounds like some of the "soups" DW makes. More of a stew and a soup - less broth, more food.

That is what she is making now. Went to the farmers market Tuesday, so got several veggies - carrots, brocolli, califlower, swiss chard, and our garden has parsley and cilantro. Doesn't take much more except some seasonings and simmer time. I'm sure whe will add some chopped peppered bacon, too.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6098514

Bubba, The pepper bacon sounds fine! I think I'll add some when I make the smoked pork soup. And the swiss chard sounds great also. Yea, this does come out more stew-like than soup-like. That's the way my sweetie likes it. At least, there's more veggie than starches. And the fat content is pretty low.

grownut, if you can make it from Kentucky to New Orleans, come on over for a big bowlful. I have some great homemade bread that goes really good with it.

Jo-Ann
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 5, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6098712

Well it's only 10 hours...just head straight south on I-65 and take a left in Birmingham...hmmm. I AM hungry and I do NOT want to cook right now...
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 5, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6098771

i think i can make it in less time! can i come too?
i used to like cream soups a long time ago but now i don't think they are healthy and they are too rich for me but-----when you put some cooked veggies in the blender and add them to soup it is like a cream soup---only healthy
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 6, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6100822

Use about a Tbsp of sour cream - it's lower in fat and calories, and once blended into the soup will add the appearance and flavor. If you really want the flavor, a tsp or two of whipping cream - not so much as a true cream soup, but wonderful.

I use that trick with my cold cereal - skim milk then just a little heavy cream. Probably adds less than 100 calories.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6100882

You all have been watching Rachael Ray too much. Something that's thicker than a soup and thinner than a stew she calls "Stewp" . Too cute for words!

Ann
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 6, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6100915

Made a veggie stir-fry last night.
Califlower, broccoli, chard, carrots & tops. CI skillet - hot - olive oil - wilted the chard, then added the remaining. s

Filled the skillet - turned a couple of times, then seasoned and poured in about a quarter cup of jalapeno wine - covered and let it steam for 3-5 minutes. Served with a melted cheese topping and some 9-grain toast.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6101315

Bubba,
What in the world in jalapeno wine? I've still got tons of fresh jalapenos on my 2 little plants. They are so loaded down. I have frozen chopped jalapenos in the freezer & made 2 big batches of jalapeno jelly. Boyfriend even took some & put them in the blender with a little vinegar & made a great hot sauce. So I'm looking for more ways to use them.

So what is this jalapeno wine?
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 6, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6101561

There are two wineries in America making it.

Our local winery is one. www.circlesvineyards.com

There is no grape in it - all jalapeno, sugar, yeast. It varies from year to year - some hotter, some sweeter - but all good. Some of the patrons drink it, but most of us cook with it.

Dave started making it due to his DW's (Helen) request. Historically, sells out in 30 minutes. But 2 years ago, doubled the batch - lasted a few days. This year doubled again, and there are a few bottles left. I use about a dozen bottles a year. When it's gone, it's gone - gotta wait for the next batch.

And Circle S Vineyards can ship wines - Dave only charges actual shipping cost.

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6101667

I googled it & found it. But Louisiana does not allow alcoholic to be mailed in from other states. I may have to get it sent to my brother in Caty, TX & then have him mail it to me.
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 7, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6105845

bubba- i love the idea of adding just a spoon of heavy cream! i really didn't know that a little bit would make a difference and i have avoided heavy cream --i just might give that a try--i still think that i will not use it quick enough before it goes bad-do you think i could freeze some?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6105881

Because of the high fat content heavy cream will last for a while in the fridge. I have frozen mine in ice cube trays. It worked out OK, but does have a tendency to separate. In a soup, this wouldn't make much difference. I think I'm going to try that on my next go round with soup. For dinner tomorrow, we're planning a smoked pork butt & I think I'll use the leftover for soup.
Jo-Ann
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 7, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6105955

oh that will be good--smoked flavor is so nice in a soup don't you think?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6106972

A couple of weeks ago, I made a smoked chuck steak soup & it turned out fantastic. My Sweety loves smoked meats & the chuck steaks are kind of inexpensive. I smoked them for about an hour, but they were still tough. So I chopped them & simmered in broth until tender. Then in went the mashed sweet potatoes, lots of other veggies, & a handful of orzo. That soup was really good. The sweet potatoes helped bring out the smokey flavor.
Jo-Ann
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 7, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6107274

i see you smoke your own meat--can you smoke just about any meat? do you smoke anything besides meats?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6107305

The meats I've smoked have been chicken, beef chuck, rib eye roast, pork ribs, pork loin, country style ribs, boston butt pork roast - in fact almost any meat. We've tried salmon, tuna & mahi mahi. We even did a whole pig in a "Cajun microwave." I've tries roasting peppers: jalapenos & habenaros. They came out just OK. We even smoked a mild cheddar cheese once.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 8, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6109329

As for the cream going bad - you can buy half-pint containers, and the expiration date is usually a month or more in the future. Keep it in the meat keeper and it should last longer - that;s the coldest spot in the frig.
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 8, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6109694

well i was surprised how expensive the heavy whipping cream is! but then i saw a carton with an expiration date that was close and so marked way down--used it in my mushroom dish--just a little bit--so now i have the carton that will soon expire and so i guess i need to freeze -don't have an ice cube tray

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America