Photo by Melody

Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?: Grapefruit & Cholesterol Meds

Communities > Forums > Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?
bookmark
Forum: Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?Replies: 13, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Potagere

February 6, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6101024

Loved your article, because I just LOVE grapefruit.
Unfortunately, I have high cholesterol, and the medication I take for that means I cannot eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice.
I am so very pleased that your article was so thorough as to include a link to The People's Pharmacy's most excellent article on grapefruit-drug reactions. I did not realize that it reacts (negatively) with SO MANY medications.
I really urge all readers of your article to follow that link and read the article. It could save a life!

Fortunately, whenever we can find it, I can still eat pomelos!

Best regards,
Potagere

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6101589

Merci, Potagere. I have heard the grapefruit thing so many times but I figure it's always good to reiterate. I also was very surprised by the list--not just cholesterol meds.
I did NOT know that pomelos don't act the same way.
Sally
Potagere

February 6, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6101673

The great thing about pomelos is they are not even the same species as grapefruit! And, although the Seville orange is mentioned as potentially having the same "mystery compound" as is contained in grapefruit, I cannot find any suggestion anywhere that pomelo does. My doc says it's OK.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6105284

Thaks for that info
How do you eat your pomelo? I bought one and it seems a little tougher than regular grapefruit, at least for the usual eat from the half rind with spoon thing.
Potagere

February 7, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6105575

No, no, no, no! Not really meant to be eaten in that fashion! Best thing to do is just peel it, Then the inner skin peels away quite easily from each of the individual sections, which can be served just plain on a plate. In Thailand, we often had them with a mixture of sugar and ground chile on the side. You would dip pieces of the peeled sections into this and eat. Very tasty, actually. Oh, now I'm hungry for one!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6105772

OK, sounds great. I'll start with plain sugar tho!
Potagere

February 7, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6105932

I thought the same thing the first time I was talked into trying the mix. It really is very good. Maybe just a sprinkle?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6106752

Ok, But It'll have to wait a bit- I just finished my pomeleo. The rind is pretty tough, but that helped the skin come of the sections, so got a bunch of nice almost 'skinless' segments. And not the 'bite' of grapefruit.
Potagere

February 7, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6106775

Mmmm! I hope it was a good one!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6106781

Best pomelo I've ever had

HA HA

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6110823

By the way, I don't see stories in tree shadows either- That particular piece of symbolism goes too far for my little brain.
Potagere

February 8, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6110831

Thanks for that! I was pretty sure I wasn't the only one, but I was thinking I was wrong!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6112497

I'm sure there are others but there are very few "negative" comments on article threads. I personally gave a negative comment a long time ago, before I started writing myself. I could have phrased my comment more as a question, and I think most people who might criticize a technical article for a missing detail, ask a question for help instead. In the case of what we're referring to, it led to a good discussion!
Potagere

February 9, 2009
8:01 AM

Post #6113626

I do think that it did. And I have since had some DMails that have continued the discussion, giving me some pretty interesting insights into how some other writers think about things.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Happy Birthday, Sue!! sallyg 0 Feb 6, 2009 1:57 PM
Nice article Aunt_A 3 Feb 7, 2009 12:55 PM
I really enjoyed your article! Bookerc1 3 Feb 7, 2009 6:58 PM
There's a National Grapefruit Month joy112854 2 Feb 9, 2009 6:04 PM
grapefruit tree prpliris 1 Sep 23, 2009 1:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America