melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6103200

We came from here.. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946772/

This is the second thread in the saga of the ice storm that devastated the mid-South states. KY, TN, AR, MO, IL and IN were the worst hit, but many others were affected as well.

On a good note..our business got power about 30 minutes ago!!! The trucks were unfamiliar to me, so they were from another area. Bless those guys who are away from home and getting us back up and running!!!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 4:58 PM

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6103262

That was the best part, unfamiliar trucks...never saw yellow ones before, and the NG going door to door. Gave us a good feeling.

My poor holly tree that the birds planted a few years ago...

Thumbnail by Sharran

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6103264

Mel, thanks for starting a new thread. That photo is just so eerie. It looks like something from a sci-fi movie. So glad you got power to the shop.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6103270

Well, that was a rotten picture, here's maybe a better one. It is all nice and straight now, looking very happy, if a little leafless in spots.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6103441

Yah, Rah! The shop has electricity. As the Seven Dwarfs would sing, "Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's Back to Work We Go!"
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6104125

So glad things are gradually getting back to normal. Sorry about all your beautiful trees, everyone. Hopefully, they'll come back. Still praying for all of you!

Love,

Bonnie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6104464

I am glad to hear that there is progress in Western Ky. I think other than the tree totaling DMIL's car, I only lost the top of a magnolia. Don't know what to do with it, and on that note, I have decided that I will leave it as it is, and maybe it will grow from there.

Yeah, Sharon, good to see you posting,as well as Lisa. Tough pioneer women resurrected!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6105398

Great news! So glad things are looking up for everyone who has had such a bad time of it.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6105839

Is it going to be warmer there today? It is going to be in the high 40 today I believe here.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6106451

We'll be in the 50's and 60's for the next week...some days may hit 70. Lots of clean up going on, and at least the people still without power aren't in below freezing temps.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6108494

I can relate to the trucks from elsewhere. In Jan. 05 we had our bad ice storm and the guys who finished getting power on were from St. Joseph, Michigan. We were off power for 68 hours...yes you tend to count the days and hours!
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6109976

Warmer still today so I hope others with so much ice are warming up more also. I have said it before but I will say it again I HATE COLD.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6110156

AMEN to that makshi!!!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6112541

Our kids finally go back to school tomorrow. It has been 2 weeks since they've been.
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

February 9, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6112836

We had a terrible ice storm/flood in 97. I remember the power poles snapping in half. No power for 4 days. I was REALLY pregnant at the time. I remember going outside and how scary it was and how LOUD it was! All the cracking of the trees. It was deafening! We are bracing for an ice storm starting at midnight through tomorrow night followed by a snow storm.

The pictures made me sad. I just remember how awful it was to lose so much, so many trees, its just sad. Hope everyone is ok.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6112946

We are back to normal, and with the nice warmer weather today, DH walked to the back of our 30 acres, which is mostly woods, and he came back almost in tears. Saying that he has never seen such devastation. It will take weeks of work with a chain saw to clear what one night of ice brought down. I know that he will find folks who will be able to use the wood, and he will offer it for free, keeping some for ourselves. This storm taught us many things, and I hope we don't ever have to use those things we learned.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 9, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6113418

I've been MIA for the past few days and am glad to see that things are beginning to get back to some kind of normal for y'all. Each of you have continued to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6113902

Aw, (((Bonnie & DH))) Sorry to hear about the tree damage in the woods. It's odd how an ice storm can go from being so beautiful in the first few hours, to downright frightening with the cracking/falling limbs and treacherous roads, to devastation when all of the damage is found after the melt. I'm sure the cut wood will be a blessing to those who recieve it, though.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6114221

Ice storm forecast for Eastern North Dakota today. Haven't heard anything yet.
Boy, bad weather seems to be catching!
Bernie
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6114365

Glad to hear that the cleanup is progressing.

Bonnie, I am so sorry about your trees! You and your DH are in my thoughts and prayers, as you clean up. How kind of you both to offer the wood to those who need it. I hope you never have to use those lessons either.

Prayers going out to the folks in North Dakota!

Love to all,

Another Bonnie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6115362

Strangest weather I have ever known. We are in the upper 60's now with sunshine, and have been throughout the weekend.

Bonnie, here's an idea...I have been looking at these lincoln logs all over my yard, and finally decided I would use the long straight "logs" from the maples to outline more flower beds, and the long skinny branches for teepee trellises for clematis or whatever climber I have. Maybe a strong one for the rose climbers. I don't have a fireplace, so the true logs will go to whomever needs them. Believe me, our community won't be without firewood for a long time to come.

I did have an insurance adjustor out yesterday, and NO ROOF DAMAGE. I danced around after he left...because he handed me a nice tidy little sum for all my refrigerated and frozen food loss and for the cleanup to my driveway...as well as for the one loosened shingle on my roof. I had used what I could from the freezer, but some things were lost...maybe because I couldn't cook fast enough, and maybe because it was about 3 days before I came out of my stupor and started cooking on top of the stove.

Bernie...I sure hope you all don't have to go through this, too. I am so ready for spring.

I hope I don't forget the lessons I learned from all of this trauma.

And thanks, "another Bonnie"...you have very effective prayers.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6117169

All we had today was rain. Farther north they had icey roads & sidewalks, but that was it.

You must have a god insurance company.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6117193

Here's some images without the ice.

I'm sure this is what everyone is seeing in the region now.

Here is the new neighbor's house.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6117216

Across the street at the school.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6117246

The contents of fridges and freezers are covered. I've been paid in the past for power outage losses.

Here's my back yard...the one that led off this thread. The apple trees didn't fare too badly, the maples behind them not so good.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6117284

My neighbor across the street. He even got some lift equipment to get him up to where the broken stuff was...he also set the field on fire and had to have our poor little fire truck come out and put it out.

Poor fire guys have been running up and down the road all weekend. We're not supposed to burn because of the winds, but some people just can't listen. They had 3 calls on sat, 2 on Sun and I heard them 2 times today...(they're volunteers)

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6117305

This was my neighbor about a mile down the road...I posted his ice covered trees earlier as well.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6117330

And to show that things are looking up...I found this today as well!

Thumbnail by melody

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6117362

At least at this time of the year, the trees will soon leaf out & hopefully make things look better.
At least the ice storm didn't smash houses like a tornado or hurricane does.

Thanks for the pictures, Melody.
Bernie

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6117430

Lots of trees on houses and through roofs. My sis's neighbor has a oak tree through their picture window. I saw a mobile home that looked chopped in half because of the tree that split it down the center.

Insurance adjusters are busy little bees at the moment.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6120119

Makes you feel hopeful when you see the daffys popping through the ground.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 11, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6124182

So glad your weather is behaving, and you're getting things cleaned up.

Shar, yea on the good roof report and the $$.

To everyone else, you're all still in my thoughts and prayers.
~Susan
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6125223

Massive winds today, roughly 60 mph...not fun. Our power was out again for over 4 hours. I am so glad I got more candles.

And the broken limbs that were still hanging from the trees came thundering down. Good grief!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6125254

Our power has been coming and going all night and day. Right now it is on.

What a mess.

(still no cable or land line phone)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6125306

This is the first time online since i posted our damage here in Johnson co. AR on the other thread.
Got a little worried last night when we had high winds and a thunderstorm go thru. I still have broken limbs hanging over my house. The Arkansas Valley Electric CO, is going to come and cut the limbs down for me as soon as they can. They're still working on getting power on. It will take someone in one of those buckets to reach the limbs as they are so high.
FEMA came by and would'nt help me as they were afraid i'd sue them if a limb fell on the house while they were working on it. I could'nt change their minds. My opinion of FEMA dropped some more. If God keeps hanging on to those limbs till my electric co gets here, i won't have any house damage.
It is so nice to have electricity. Can you all imagine the miracle of walking into a room clicking a switch and immediately have light.LOL
I guess i'm having a sort of
post stress syndrom. Everytime i hear of something good happening i start crying for happy. dumbest thing i ever heard of.
Thanks for the prayers. They were appreciated and needed.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6125542

We are in for some really bad weather in the next few hours. High winds, tornados and severe thunder storms.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6125561

Caj not more bad weather. Keep safe and warm. We are having heavy rain which where we live isn't good either. I don't live in the house that flooded about every year any more that God.

I see there are several having bad weather. Wish you all well. Please take care to be somewhere safe.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 11, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6125817

It seems like all I can do is just post and pray ...
Hugs&blessings to everyone in harm's way ... ~Susan

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6127670

Happy Birthday, Melody.
Have A Great Day!
Bernie
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6127678

I second that. Don't work too hard today. Make it a very special day and rest a bit for a change. LOL!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6127687

My poor Magnolia. I lost about 8-10 limbs off of it but it did straighten back up.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6127741

Melody, ♫♫♫ HaPpY BiRtHdAy! ♫♫♫ Hope you have a great day!

Doug, :-(, sorry about the tree!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6127796

Thanks ya'll.

All I wanted for my birthday last week was power by today, so I got my wish.

It is beautiful and the sun is shining today no wind and headed for the high 50's.

Wonderful!!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6127819

Hoorah! Very good, Mel. Let's all pray for an early spring! I am tired to death of winter.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6128107

Happy Birthday Melody!! Sunny and in the 50's - that sounds like a great day to me.

Doug, I am sorry about your tree.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6128314

Wow. Just now seeing this thread. Of course we were 7 days without power here at the farm, so I had no way of getting online and almost as long without home phone or cell phone. We learned to be incredibly creative. We had the wood furnace (no blower) and the house stayed at a steady 62. We used a portable campstove in the house (it uses the little propane cylinders. We also cooked on our gas grill outside. We went through a lot of candles and oil lamps and couldn't find lamp oil anywhere.. We fixed a kerosene heater and brought it to a friend in Louisville whose house was at 32. I read two books.

Oh and our daughter, her hubby and three kids came out to stay with us as their home was a nice cool 40 degrees! We lost a lot of trees :(

This windstorm of yesterday wiped out a lot more trees. I figure that we won't be happy until there are no trees left in KY, in the past year, our county has been hit so hard by every storm one could imagine! It was a year ago last week, during the ice storm, that the tornadoes hit our community and damaged/destroyed 75 % of it and the trees...well they haven't had a chance to get all the trees picked up from last year!

Our greenhouse was destroyed in yesterday's windstorm. DH had been working on it for a month trying to get it so that chickens didn't get in and we could use it. It's been hit by every storm.

Sometimes I wonder why I live here!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 12, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6128581

Happy birthday Melody!

Still sending prayers to everyone else ...
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6128604

Gosh, hate to hear of your damage, Kathy. Ya'll have had a time of it this past year or so. Hope you are getting some of this "good weather" now, at least seeing sunshine.

Happy Birthday, Melody! Glad you got what you wanted, electricity!

Shoe

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6128765

Thanks ya'll!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6130053

MistyMeadows, that is awful! Just makes you want to sit down and cry!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6130625

I feel for you too Kathy...it is a mess.

All of us in the path of this disaster can understand where you are coming from.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6130659

It is a mess, but I just went outside in the mud and limbs today and found some nice sights...

daylilies are peeping up...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6130663

And new growth on the hellebore...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6130665

And take a look at this wonderful rose...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6130668

My redbud, though...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6130674

So, yes, Kathy...
It is something we will all just have to muck our way out of.

It is something of a boggy mess in my yard, still limb covered, too.
I am so ready for spring.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6130723

I had a redbud that looked like that...I just took the whole thing down. The poor thing was hopelessly mangled.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6130737

Send me Keith and his chain saw...
My beloved river birch in front is looking the same way.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6130754

This is our greenhouse after the ice storm last week.

Thumbnail by MistyMeadows

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6130759

This is the greenhouse last night, during the windstorm. DH finished working on it the day before the storm, he'd been fixing it for at least a month! Several of the bars have been bent and will collapse if we try to redo it again and have another storm. :(

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 7:44 PM

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6130771

ouch.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6130780

Some pictures of the ice storm last week...

This is my holly tree :(

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6130788

A pretty site...God still creates beauty in the storms...

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6130796

This was our pine tree when the storm started...

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6130802

Here is the same tree after the ice storm, but still with frigid temps...

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6130814

I have to admit there was beauty in the midst...still without power, but the sun is shining this day...I think we had one more day of no power after taking this...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6130924

When we visited last fall, I was thinking KY would be a nice place to spend the winter. I think I changed my mind. We have some nice properties for sale here. It only gets cold & a snowstorm now & then. Snow only buries us, don't do damage, maybe a little at times. Yes, when you think about it, the weather will get you no matter where you live.

I know all you guys will get things back to somewhat normal because you all are so hard working & neighborly.

Wishing everyone the best,
Bernie
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6130972

Bernie, I think I posted a picture when you were here of you and Bertha in front of this big blue spruce tree in the front yard along the driveway.

Here it is last week...

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6131285

Kathy, I am so sorry for your latest loses in this wind storm. Thankfully, we only had some downed limbs, and some objects rearranged, but nothing like what you have. My t & p's are with you as you all try to regain some ground.

Sharon, good to see the "new beginnings". I was out day before yesterday and saw daylilies waking up, and iris, and some spring bulbs, just a poking through the ground. A good sight after all the destruction around.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #6131718

A friend of mine, up there in MN commented, after hearing about the damage that we sustained from Hurricane Isabel a few years ago, that Mother Nature is an equal opportunity pain-in-the-butt.

Kathy, I am so sorry for all the damage. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon, good to see the little green growing things happening!

Hang in there, spring is coming! Driving to work this morning, little ornamental fruit trees along the road are in bloom! One of our camellias has color in the buds, and should start blooming shortly. The pink one on the left side of the porch always puts out buds and blossoms early. We keep trying to tell it to wait, because almost every year, we have a cold snap, and it has pink blooms with brown edges for a while. The variegated camellia on the other side of the porch is much more cautious, waiting until the pink one stops showing brown edges. We haven't even had much winter, and I am ready for spring. I wanna' see green!

Love to all,

Bonnie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
10:02 AM

Post #6132166

Glad to hear the good news of green things spotted. Went out and looked and found some Daffys and hyacinths showing green. My 2 redbuds lost no limbs thank goodness nor did my giant cherry trees. Sorry to hear Melody still has no electricity. My 3 large limbs are still dangling over my bedroom and sewing room. Electric Co still has'nt time to come and cut them down. I'm not complaining and am thankful they will cut them for me also not as scared they'll come down on me at any time.
Drove down to see a neighbor and was glad to see they had no damage except they lost a guinna foul from the cold. Their emus came thru with flying colors.
Tomorrow i'll burn limbs before it gets dry again. I'll let our fire dept know i'll be burning. I always feel better knowing they are aware this foolish old woman is at
it again. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6132386

On our local news this morning a man from Minneapolis-St.Paul area that was in Paducah working on electric lines. He was killed when a pole he was on broke & he fell 40 ft. Then the transformer hit him. His family said they donated his organs, so he kept on helping even in death.

Bernie
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6132631

Bernie, I heard about a man getting killed falling off a utility pole, but didn't hear where he was from. They come here to help out and this happens; it is so sad.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6132637

Just read that in the Courier Journal. How sad.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6132723

It happened just west of Paducah and the whole area is just heartsick over it. There were two men hurt, but one was not as serious.

Bernie, this is pretty much a once in a lifetime storm. My Mom will be 80 this year, and she's never seen anything like this before. The closest was 1937, and it was a flood that froze. Her brothers ice skated on the front lawn.

We have ice storms, but never like this..the ice hangs around for a couple of days and life goes on as usual. Power losses would be in individual structures, and the power crews get them right back up in just a short time. We've never had to call in outside help, or had a disaster declared over ice.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6132819

Bernie, Melody is right. We've lived here over 21 years and this is the worst ice storm I've ever seen; but Melody do you remember the snow storm of (was it) 94? That was the worst snow storm, the whole state was closed down for a week. That storm changed a lot of things, like we finally have snow plows in KY...they were using grader blades to plow the roads and interstates. It is also the reason why whenever anyone hears the "S" word, there is no bread or milk to be found!!!!

Kentucky is just the epicenter of storms in the past year, but I believe it's moving out to sea!!!!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6133115

Yeah, 94...we were building our house, and my carpet was stuck on a truck somewhere between here and GA for a week.

It was just snow, but if you have no equipment for dealing with it, it can get messy. (I don't even own a snow shovel)

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6133312

Mel you don't need a snow shovel. Just send Keith out with a spatula!!! He worked it pretty good on a grill!

Doug
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6133462

You know what's really sad? I was born and raised in Massachusetts, snow country...and I don't even own a snow shovel!!!!

I lived in NC once when a snowstorm (4 inches) came in (Camp LeJeune). No plows there either, couldn't even find a shovel and I remember "shoveling" the sidewalks outside our place with a garbage can lid. It works in a pinch (the metal kind)...

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6134231

I was in NC one year too (Cherry Point) when we got an ice storm. A bunch of us decided to drive down to the beach to see what it was like covered in ice. Well we went into a bar there on the beach, started drinking and shooting pool. When we came out a few hours later the snow was so deep you could barely see my car and the drifts were several FEET over the roads. Needless to say we were stuck in the bar all night! and at a friends house down the beach for about three days afterward. (No we didn't party too much...)

Doug

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 13, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6134523

In 1972 I lived on the home farm in central MN. A freak rain storm came along. Between 3PM & 3AM we received 17" of rain. Only an area about 30 miles in diameter. Roads washed out & rivers changed courses. Lake not far from us, 1 mile wide & 10 miles long, rose over 4 feet. River that usually flowed out was flowing into the lake.
An old timer, 95 years old at the time, who lived on the lake all his life said he never saw that before! This happened on July 22.

Super bowl blizzard of 1975 snowed in MN for nearly one week. Couple feet of snow, followed by 2 days of high wind. Then super cold, -30 for a number of nights. We didn't lose electric, but some areas were out for a week. Back then nearly every farm in the state still had milk cows. Not many generators back then either.

Lots of freak storms in all parts of the world over the years.

Bernie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6134613

My goo'ness, just lookit all these weather stories!

Why I remember the time I was backpacking and hitch-hiking the Southeastern United States wearing nothing but shorts, T-shirt, a pair of flip flops and a hat 'cus that's what the weather demanded. The temperature was so warm chickadees and bats bartered and traded for the various mosquitoes each of them caught, the menu was a smorgasbord for them.

The next thing I knew, upon awakening the next morning, the red stripe on the thermometer (I always carried one, ya know) appeared to have dove for cover, signaling cold weather. Birds hunkered down somewhere for warmth, butterflies froze solid in mid-air, pirouetting in the slightest breeze but never touching ground. As for me, two days later I realized I should put on some long pants, an extra t-shirt, and thought it wise to wear my flip-flops on my ear lobes, for extra warmth, ya see. Yep, that was the Summer that snowed so deep people's ears were dragging the ground. Why, I'll never forget the time...(whoops, ♫♫ never mind... ♫♫).

Those of you cold, wishing you warmth. Those of you hot, wishing you cool!

Shoe
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6134686

'Bout time Shoe showed up with something to warm our...uh...hearts.
Thanks Shoe.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6135627

So this is why you go shoeless now? HA! Glad you chimed in here Shoe... And just a wonderin if'n that windstorm socked it to ya in NC...

;) Kathy
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6139085

Howdy Shoe
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6139284

Hehehe, not necessarily, Kathy! (I go shoeless cus I have a fear of heights; shoes put me too far off the ground!)

And, if you think about it, I wasn't even shoeless during that snowstorm, I simply wore them on my ears instead of my feets! ;>)

Howdy, makshi. Hope you are surviving the Winter up your way.

Also hoping all you others in the frozen tundra are thawing out, power is now once again a treasure to behold, and clean-up is coming along wonderfully.

Our local electric co-op is in Ky helping out. If ya'll see big white trucks with green logos on the doors (Piedmont EMC) tell 'em Shoe says 'hey'.

Best,
Shoe
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6139298

Hey Shoe, I did see those trucks. Wish I had known that earlier, I could have given them some coffee or hot chocolate, shown them true Ky hospitality.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6139416

Awww, darn. Yep, you would've liked talking to them to. They sure treat us good here, quick to solve problems, always pleasant.

Oh well, they missed meeting you! Their loss! :>)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6139611

Shoe, you could say the same thing yourself, I have been going to the Ky RU for 3 years, just to meet you!! Your loss, barefoot guy!!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6139957

Hah! I knew that would come back to bite me! *grin

Each year I hope to go, setting money aside, making sure the van will travel safely, hoping my mkt items will be either sold out or whatever. But noooo...I still have plants and produce coming in that need to be dealt with in September and into October. (The few years I made it to the Round Ups I hired someone to come in every day and tend to things. Wish me luck this year! I hope to have a more "seasoned helper" to cover for me.)

Hope to see KY this year! I'll scatter seeds and saplings everywhere I go in an effort to replace trees lost due to the ice storm!

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6139990

Shoe, I live in KY and that's why I haven't made it since the last time you were there! Hard to get away that time of year.

And we'd sure appreciate your leaving a trail of trees...that goes for anybody passing through here.

We've lost a lot of em...

;) Kathy

BTW, Postmandug if you read this...I was in Bardstown yesterday (at Boone's) and couldn't believe how many trees y'all have lost. And what about the tree on top of the car on the side street almost to the circle! Wasn't even my car and it made me want to cry!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6140283

Shoe, and Misty, just bring the produce to Barkley, and we will set up a market, with advertising so the folks who live there will be your customers. A vacation while you work, now ain't that a kick in the pants?
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6140318

We'd be tarred and feathered by our regulars... I always work while on vacation... and what are vacations anyhow? :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6140442

Vacations are trips that you take, without cell phones, or computers. You lay on the beach, read a book and soak up the rays. I didn't know what they were until I retired. Try it you may like it.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6141318

Well I can go a lot of places without the computer...but not the cell phone. And just what did I ever do without it?!!!!

When I went to Honduras, I had my cell phone. I was the point of contact. But my phone rarely worked there and every time someone tried to call me for the farmers market (I asked everyone not to) it cost me $2.99!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6141581

Kathy, that tree fell not from the ice but the wind we had last week!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6141950

That looks like what happened to DMIL's car. It was parked here, and half of a big tree split under the weight of the ice, and totaled it.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6142331

Doug, That's the car and I figured it was from the wind!!! That wind was dastardly, to say the least. Do you know the person that owns this car? or is this in your neighborhood?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6143580

Wind was really bad here too. There are still people with no power. Kids may not get to go to school again tomorrow as there is no power at some of the schools.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6143762

It is incredible the weather that we have had in KY. Hope that power gets restored real soon. Will keep you all in my prayers.

:)Kathy

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6143818

Kathy, I do know the owners. Their not friends of ours though. I live off of Hwy 245 before the Hospital which you probably take home from Boone's.

Doug
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6143989

Oh, you live in a beautiful area. I tell my DH everytime we go to Bardstown.."I could live here!"

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6144064

It is a nice small town. I've been here for 50 years and used to know everybody. Now I don't know anybody anymore. Too many people coming out of Louisville to live.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6144179

Same out here in Brandenburg :(
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6144538

They finally got power back to the last school in the county so the kids will be back to school tomorrow. I'm so glad. I know they must be falling behind. Knock came home with a note last week letting us all the holidays they will be going to school to make up for the missed days. No days off for Easter.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6144551

I apoligise, i just realized i've been posting on a KY thread. Did'nt mean to but in. We are just having the same problems in AR as you. Sorry again.
Just one more bit of news. My crocus opened up today. One little sign of spring. :)
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6144562

Doug, that looks like a wonderful little town! Reminds me of Edenton and Hertford, NC. Same problem, though, hardly any natives to be found with all the people moving in from up north. DH grew up in the area, and he hardly knows anyone.

Glad everyone is recovering from the storm. Hope that's the last of the bad weather for a looong while!

Love to all,

Bonnie
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6144597

We've had really nice weather the last few days. Got tons of catch up work done at the barn Hauled 2 big loads of compost from the barn to the house to make more beds for Spring planting. Should have 2 more days of nice weather before it rains and snows again. Colder temps but tolerable and sunshine. I'll take that! LOL We even got to do a little bit of carting and riding.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6146013

Arkansas is in the same boat as KY, TN, IL and MO.

Your reports are every bit as important as the ones from other states. There just seems like a bunch of us from KY landed here...but you are in exactly the right place to post.

This mess affected us all.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6146066

We'd love to hear from the other states. This is not an all-Ky thread :) Although, if we don't hear from you, then that means you don't have bad weather news to share with us and we are glad.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6146351

cando1, yep, what Melody said. Your area is in the same boat as KY and the other nearby states. Besides, one of my favorite rivers is your Spring River, have camped on its banks several times. If you're in that area I know what a beautiful place that is.

I'm not from Ky or Ar or Tenn but been there! Those are some of my "Homes away from Home" so I gotta make sure everything is back to normal!

Wishing sunshine to all today!
Shoe

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6225964

My cable and phone are now operational...37 days later!!!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6225974

I'm not sure if I should say "YAYYY!!!" or "sheesh!" LOL I'm happy for you, though! I'd hate to have no phone for that long.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6225999

Oh, my cell worked, and I have a broadband modem. I have to be able to get to DG each day. I just had no land line phone or cable internet, and this broadband modem racks up minutes like a cell phone.

I'm just thrilled that we're somewhat back to normal. The greenhouse looks like a porcupine with the branches sticking out of it, but it is 65 degrees and the grass is turning green!

Life is good!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6226071

Glad to hear your good news.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6226150

Yayyyy Mel.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6228852

Something that we might want to consider, especially with the spring storms coming. We need to have a designated 'buddy' who lives in another part of the country. If something happens in your state, as soon as possible, let the 'buddy' know that you are ok. We talked about this after Katrina because so many were without internet access for awhile.

Nothing formal, but just let someone know that you'll get in touch with them so that they can let us here at DG know if you are ok...or if you need anything.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6229757

Unless we have no way to let someone know.

Mel and I are 12 miles apart and it was many days before we were able to get in touch.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6229818

I think that's a great idea, Mel!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6230013

Sharon and Mel, were your cell phones working then?

Doug
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6230130

Nope, Doug...mine didn't work for about the first 5 days. I have an iphone, and sometimes I could see messages, but couldn't send out. I did however manage to get on to DG, and saw where Mel had posted, so knew she was OK. Think with being DG admin, she might have had some sort of stronger access, plus generator, so I knew she was OK. Eventually I got word out and she found that I hadn't gone down with the trees, too.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6230308

I was just lucky. My cell service is with Verizon and they had automatic generators that came on as each tower lost power. I never lost cell service. I also have a broadband card from them just for service interruptions and travel. That has kept me on line the last 37 days.

It was simply luck that I had a service that had made contingency plans for power outages.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6230461

But sad that you had to wait 37 days for the rest of it.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6230498

Sharon, I'm planting tomato seeds this weekend...how many plants do you want? (I'll only have about 200 extras)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6230826

Just a few, Mel...

The youth group from church just now left from cleaning the remaining debris from my yard, so by the time the plants are ready, I'll be ready. Found blooms I didn't know I had, yayyyy. Crocus, daffs...hellebores ...all lurking beneath the mess. I'm happy!

Anyway, maybe +/-10. I am sure you have other takers, but I'll take whatever you want to throw my way.
Thank you...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6230841

I just remembered how much you loved those I hauled up to the gallery that day...they'll all be old heirlooms with that great flavor..I'll make sure to earmark you a good variety of shapes colors and tastes...There will be plenty..trust me.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6230880

Loved them...
And now that my yard is spotless (!!!!!) I am so ready for spring. Thought for a while I was going to have to skip it.
Can't wait, and thanks.

BTW, I am using your flower photos again in the gallery for the Spring Show i just hung. Your scarves don't go with the pink/purple, so they are locked up.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6230894

Those are getting pretty tired...I guess I need to get out and shoot some fresh shots, huh?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6230965

Welll...
only if you really want to.
I think these have been in maybe 4 shows???

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6233174

Sharon since you didn't have to clean up your own yard, wanna come visit me, I got plenty to clean up... :-)

Doug
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6233836

Ummmmm, Doug...maybe after I rake and clear out my flower beds. In the meantime, you just go ahead without me, OK?

I wouldn't let the kids touch my flowerbeds...or my broken birdbaths, or my heeled in baby trees...so see, it's best you start without me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America