Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?: I really enjoyed your article!

Communities > Forums > Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?
bookmark
Forum: Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month?Replies: 3, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #6104848

I have 3 grapefruit trees, grown from seed, and they never have produced any fruit. They are lovely as houseplants, as long as you have room!

Thanks, too, for including the link on medication interactions. I knew my parents could no longer eat grapefruit, due to their blood pressure medications, but had no idea it could interact with my asthma meds, too! I've been on a grapefruit kick lately, so perhaps I'd better slow down. . . Just trying to get extra vitamin C any way I can, to stave off all the winter ills!

Great article!

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6105275

Thanks for your comments Angie : ^)
Potagere, in another reply thread, says that pomelo do not have the interaction that grapefruit has. I bought a pomelo but it doesn't seem to work as easily for eating out of the half rind as grapefruit. Maybe Potagere (Jim) or someone else can tell us how to enjoy them.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6106446

We were just talking about Pomelos in the teacher lounge yesterday. Everyone seemed to think they were a new fruit, some kind of cross between grapefruit and melons. They didn't get real high marks among those that had tried them. They said the rind was super-thick and pithy, and that the fruit didn't have a lot of flavor. I told them not to judge the whole variety based on what you could find in stores around here. Probably bred to ship well, not taste good.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6106762

Crossing Grapefruit and melons??? Not a bunch of science teachers I hope! I have asked Potagere- in the other response thread on the article. He says you peel the tough rind and section it, do Not try the half-grapefruit with a spoon thing.
I think I read they are older than grapefruit, not a new thing. Grapefruit and pomelo are lumped together in export data.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: There's a National Grapefruit Month? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Happy Birthday, Sue!! sallyg 0 Feb 6, 2009 1:57 PM
Grapefruit & Cholesterol Meds Potagere 13 Feb 9, 2009 8:01 AM
Nice article Aunt_A 3 Feb 7, 2009 12:55 PM
There's a National Grapefruit Month joy112854 2 Feb 9, 2009 6:04 PM
grapefruit tree prpliris 1 Sep 23, 2009 1:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America