Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 144 - Ready for Spring !!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 191, Views: 1,655
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6109536

Continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/947990/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6109567

Oh, Dusty ---
one of my favorite birds! The white breasted nuthatch!

NEWS FLASH!!! There has been bare ground and brown grass sighted north of Newark Ohio !!! With warmer temperatures forecasted for later this week, there is a possibility of witchazel bloom by the weekend...

edited to add - Dusty, you might want to go look at Dave's Garden Forum and add your support -- people are trying to get an Aquarium forum started...

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 10:10 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6109792

Good morning all...42* here, sunny and breezy...

That little bird was here on the suet feeders again yesterday evening...It is indeed a White Breasted Nuthatch...Very pretty little male...He is on the porch of my blue bird house now, waiting his chance at the suet again...He is not going to tangle with that big ole Pileated Woodie...LOL

I was kinda bad at Lowes yesterday...I snagged a few packs of seeds...
I got one that is marked *Mailbox Garden* not necessarily my colors, but our mailbox post is surrounded by a basket at the base, and I think this will look terrific planted in there...It has Egyptian Pea vine, Thungbergia, Nasturtiums and Pinwheel Zinnias...
I also got some more *Blue* flowers for my Veterans Garden...
I got a blue & white Lupine, Aubrieta, 2 different blue Delphinium, True Lavender, a white Candytuft, and Canterbury Bells, in white, pink and blue...I already have a good selection of white things, and a few red...I wanted to get some red Glads, but I was too late to plant them last fall, so I can add them this year...I have Red Oriental Poppy planted now, but they don't last very long...

Remember that nearly dead Spathiphylum the manager gave me at Big Lots, when I went to replace my watch?? Wellll, it has exactly 8 blooms on it now in various stages of open...;-)) Amazing what a drink of water will do for a plant...;-D

Marcy... did you survive your trip to WallyWorld yesterday??? LOL

Juli...I have a few patches of brown grass and bare ground, but not very many...LOL
I will check that forum...Good idea..
And guess what!!! There are TWO Nuthatches!!!! Yessss!!!

Well, I am off to get my jeans on, and get ready to play with my drywall mud...I am going to prep nailholes etc, today to get ready to start painting...Everything will be fresh for spring, so I can get out of here and go play in the dirt...Yesssssss!!!

You all have a terrific day!!!!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6109796

Ahhhh... it's finally melting in Columbus too.
Is it (winter) over, or did it just pause?

Dove
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6109809

dovey, I think we just are gonna get cleaned up enough to have some more of the white stuff dumped on us. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but winter can hang on as long as the first week in April. So take a deep breath, and wait for the next round.

Back from church, and DGD wants to go to her sister's early, so will be leaving here, in about an hour.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6109841

It is definitely in Pause Phase Dove...Trust me... I got slammed last Feb and early March with 2 real doozies when I first started driving the Wheelie...The second one had melt and the refreeze so it was like driving thru a crystal world...Cyclone fences sparkled like diamonds, and trees looked like they were made of glass...It was treacherous, but magnificently beautiful up in Bellefontaine...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6110079

Good morning all...yesssss...it IS still morning!! LOL!!
Yes..I survived Wallyworld, Dusty! Such great fun it was!!
My son asked me yesterday where I got something...and of course I said...wallyworld. He said...oh right...I should have known that one! Duhhhh!!!
He came and did our taxes for us online...glad that is over and done with! The kids were with him and Jeannine too...for a bit. She had to go for a hair appt.
Kids are coming this next Friday night , and then we will make Valentine's cookies on Saturday. We didn't get to do the Christmas ones because they were sick...so I told them on Valentine's day we would do it. Dawson wanted to know if we would just make hearts..lol! I said well sure silly..!!
Well...guess we will go do some running around this afternoon, since we didn't get it done yesterday. Dave has a few things he wants to check on.
Ohhh and speaking of checking on things...I want to show you all these new tires coming out from Michilen. I'll see if I can do the link. I got this in email.
Have a great day all!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6110092

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 12:04 PM

Well the pictures wouldn't transfer...so that was the main thing...to see the pics. Guess I don't know how to do it? Sorry!!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2009 12:05 PM
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6110339

wow what a storm that was! our power was off for almost 9 days, we cook and heat with propane, the temps were cold so i packed the food into a snow bank and covered it with ice. not much food loss. we had a lot of loss to timber nad trees. just unbelievable. heres a pic... hope everyone stays warm and safe :) - Vicki

Thumbnail by pandora125

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6110921

I kinda figured it was just winter taking a little breather before getting on with it...
On the bright side it's nice to get rid of the glacier that was in our driveway, I have a little bit to learn about shoveling snow *L*

Dusty that does sound beautiful, truly a winter wonderland.
Vicki that's an amazing photo.

I'm just sort of itching to start the vegetable garden.

Dove

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6110993

great pic Vicki brrr just looking at it
I can see brown and i can see my garden beds !!!! . I forgot what they looked like
we went to a movie today and we saw Hotel For Dogs , it was so cute !!! i cried.
Im seriously addicted to sweet potatos !!!! can i over dose on vit A ?
Marcy so lucky to have son do your taxes online, great ! can he come do mine :(
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6111219

Guess what we (DH) and I have been doing this afternoon? Since the snow is all gone, we have been picking up dog poo!! Isn't that gross. Not a person in the world that can say our dogs are full of it, cause we got the proof to show them.

It has been a glorious day, and it just was nice to be able to be out and feel like something was being accomplished.

vicky, your picture looks like somethings around here. We have many many tree branches to pick up in the edges of the yard. DH walked to the back of the farm, which is all wooded, and he says it looks like a war zone. Lots of firewood that needs to be sawed up.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6111338

YUCK!!!! Did that here too Bons...Got one of the coach lamps hung up on the porch, other one painted and drying...Terrarium semi painted...
Drywall patched mostly...have one spot that has to go in layers and kept damp so it doesn't crack...Sorted paints, and I think I have a concoction ready to mix up... ;-D

Watered all of my indoor weeds and orchids...Made water for the fish tanks...ummm...refilled feeders again...found a pack of forgotten poppy seeds and hauled hinnie outside to sprinkle on a deep pile of melting snow...Took down wall hangings that were up, (more hidden in closets) and moved them to new room locations...replotted furniture arrangement...and/or removal of some...My desk is still driving me crazy...NEED to see both birds outside and fish inside...Hmmmmm...
Looked over Chatchkies with seriously critical eye...AGAIN...added a few more to the box I found in the garage...The less to dust, the more time to garden...Yep...Good Motto...

Chops, sweet taters and steamed Broccoli for dins...then I am off to the 5 gal bucket and the BIG paint stick stirrer to work on my concoction...If it looks like I want it to, Painting will begin tomorrow..after all of the dumb errands get done...Maybe... LOL

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6111405

Slow down Dusty, you have done enough today to already qualify for a full week. Now I feel like a slouch.

I am cooking supper, and am having some steamed asparagus, yum, mouth is watering. They had some at the grocery, and it looked good, but I know this has to be California or Florida, cause ours will not be ready for many months. Probably taste like those glorious strawberries, which have no taste!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6111424

Does this mean I can nap all day tomorrow????
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6111438

Sure you are retired, you set you own schedule!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6111462

ROFLLLL... HOT DIGGITY!!!!

Tomorrow consists of: Get spouse to VA for labs, pick up new DR table, salt water fishfood, Cookies light bulb, paint rollers and I'm done, I think...

Okay...NO Painting tomorrow...errands only...then NAP!!! LOL...
Heyyy, I'm a greenhorn on this retirement thing...I'm learning...LOL
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6111732

Dusty, May day sounds like a great time to daylily shop! I'm excited already :-)

Vicki, I'm so glad the scene from your pic is behind us. Sure hope the worst is over with! At least I know we can survive just fine without power, but would just as soon not do it again so soon, LOL.

I've been transplanting Snapdragons today, and my back is sore from it and my eyes are nearly crossed! I was moving things around under the lights and the tray holding the Snaps broke and spilled all 3 containers. They were ready to be transplanted anyway (they looked like Chia pets), so guess I'm ahead of schedule.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6112202

Thought I should pop in for a quick howdy!

Carly is in basketball tournament season again. They won yesterday and today so they go to the finals next weekend. It's between them and Hillsboro for 1st and 2nd. We beat White Oak today which is always a tense game. Some of our girls played on a team with them last year.

Kristenne's team goes to tournament this week.

Pregnancy is going fine. 5 weeks and three days to go. I still don't like the doctor. LOL Guess I'll end up switching again. I can't get her to believe pregnancy is a natural thing. Some doctors insist you need all that medical intervention as prevention...No thanks!

Most of the ice and snow is gone now so we are back to Lake Lynchburg. The driveway is under water...

Still no job for Craig.

We have not picked up our dog poop. LOL

Exciting, huh??

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6112226

well i can say that i don't miss picking up dog poop LOLLLL
gonna hit the hay
good night
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6112254

Ohhh Neal my dearling...I didn't say **SHOP** for daylilies...
I said **GO LOOK** at daylilies...ROFLLLL...
I love you dear one... you always make me smile or Laugh...
Okay..we will plan on Mayday Weekend...Work on details later...;-)))

Gonna have to convert the fishpond to a pool so I can keep up with Bons on this retirement learning process...LOL... How bout a pool with Fish in it??? Well at least I HOPE there are still Fish in it...I will know soon when the snow and ice clears off of it and I can see to the bottom...:-(( The hole is still open and larger now with the thaw, but it is nowhere near the deep part where the fish overwinter, so I can't see anything yet...

Have a wonderful evening y'all!!!!!

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6112332

Michele...you have a Midwife ..yes??? Trust her??? ...yes???
If so, ignore the Doc...It's not like this is your first time around this block...Doc is there for emergency backup...You know your body and your babies...I would not advise jumping that mule in mid stream if you can avoid it at this late stage...Just MHO...

If my dogs weren't contained in such a small area, I wouldn't be doing it either...At least not his weekend...but it is what it is, and they and I need to see clean...;-)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6112347

Lovely day today!
Mostly we just visited w/ the neighbors and did a little yard cleaning.

Yesterday we got the drapery rods hung.
Picked them up at IKEA.
They are a hospital style track.

The curtains WILL be changed.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6112363

Curtains look okay to me... Not too sure about that 60's BALL tho... ROFLLLLLLLLLLLL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6112390

Oh the 60's ball will definitely stay.
It's a reproduction though...

Here's a shot of the rods.

Thumbnail by henryr10

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6112393

No midwife this time/right now. I had one earlier in the pregnancy who started off fine, then pulled the 40 years old, test, test, test, looking for imaginary illnesses because my blood pressure is wacky, then made me see the doctor and it appeared he'd never looked at my chart. With all the stress we have right now, I'd be surprised if my blood pressure wasn't wacky and it's ALWAYS been wacky, especially if I have to see doctors. LOL

This doctor wants to do all the preventative crud for the just in case and I won't. We are not going to see eye to eye on my being allowed to labor and birth naturally, without her intrusions. If I stay with her, I'll be locking myself in the bathroom until after I have the baby. :)

Good news is, the baby is head down and I'm almost into the "safe" zone. I just wish he'd stop shoving his head down and get his feet out of my lungs. chuckle
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6112585

I like that track-style curtain thingamagig, Ric. That would be handy for our closet wall. We've talked about removing the annoying track doors that always get stuck and replacing them with a curtain across the whole wall. I can't decide on whether to do a high tension wire or the kind you just put in. It won't be any time soon, I'm sure. LOL

Chele, maybe that baby needs to give the doctor a swift kick in the head? Just mosey on up by her and let him know. ;)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6112820

Dusty and Neal, what are you calling MayDay? I would think a trip to see daylilies would have to be later, as it is usually the middle of June before there is much blooming going on. You know what daylily foliage looks like, so why not wait for the blooms. Is this in Georgetown that you are talking about? I would love to invite myself along on this trip. Did you like my manners on this? Hehe, if this is a twosome, of course I don't want to intrude,!!

Chele, I hope that you make the right decision, I would be antsy with the birth so close to be switching Dr.s I hope that you will be able to persuade him/her/ to let you do this naturally, and not intervene, unless there is a problem.

Ric, love the curtain rod. I didn't know that you could buy anything like that commercially, always thought that something like that would come from a medical supply store or something. Will the curtains be over windows, therefore giving you the ability to adjust the sunlight and heat? An innovatative cheap greenhouse.

In addition to picking up the doggie poo, DH went into the pasture and retrieved 2 wheelbarrows full or the horsie variety, and dumped it on a garden site. I told him it would be easier to tie the horses in the garden for a few days and he could eliminate a lot of labor!!!. He read something in a gardening magazine about a new way to raise tomatoes that grow the biggest and best, which involves horse poo, in an 18 inch deep hole, amended with all sorts of things, and he is going to experiment with a few plants planted like that.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6112853

Dusty and Neal ---- you would likely be disappointed going daylily looking on May Day. John Rice's greenhouse is a hit/miss thing. Depends way to much on weather and temps. No one else will have any bloom at that time, and he won't have any outside. I know he has been keeping the temp cooler this year to save on propane cost - so - I imagine greenhouse bloom will be later... maybe 3rd week of May. You really would see a lot more if you go when the outdoor bloom is anyway. 1/2 or more of greenhouse is seedlings used for breeding. Outside, there are MANY potted plants ready for taking home and John has some that are not expensive - $10-$20...

You would have MUCH better time if you plan on mid June. Believe me... I know these things! Ask Janet - - she knows what time bloom is down there too. If you go Mid June, and Dusty can get to Neal's really early --- so you can start going to gardens around 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. that would be best --- the dark colors will not look to good by noon. They come back later in the day -- but 12-4 is NOT the time to look at daylilies... BLECH! hot glaring sun and daylilies don't mix... well, except for yellow ones, they always look good.

Sue -- try crushed pineapple in it's own juice on your sweet potato. Good, no sugar alternative. Sprinkle with a touch of curry powder for something different... I sometimes use sugar free pineapple jam...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #6113224

Ruh-roh, Howie's sick. He has chills and is bundled under blankets after upchucking. Poor guy's hardly ever sick. :/
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #6113835

Ah, good point on the Daylilies, we may want to push that back a few weeks?...Bonnie, yayyy!!! I think the more the merrier! I'm an early bird, so heading out early is fine with me :-)

Kimberly, sorry to hear Howie is under the weather. Hope it runs its course quickly. How are you doing with your pain? Hope you're getting some relief too!

Lordy I'm sore today! Strange how a tedious job like transplanting seedlings can make me so sore, but digging all day doesn't give me much trouble.

Have a great day everybody!
Neal

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6113837

Ric, I meant to say I just knew you were going to say the ball light stays, LOL. It will look like the moon at night!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6114007

I went to bed. :)

This pregnancy has been a real ride since the beginning so I don't guess it's going to change now. LOL I just don't think I'd have time to make it back to my old midwife/hospital so that isn't a real option. You'd think it would be easier in a rural area to find someone that thinks birth is a natural happening and not a medical event. Hmmm...At least no one wants to tie a rope to his feet and pull him out. ROTF

I only go to the hospital for the "just in case" to have emergency care available. That does not mean I expect a problem. It just means I want things available if needed. She said I seem more like a "home birth" kind of person and asked why I didn't do that. I told her I would but I didn't have $5,000 to pay for it! She's more worried about having to stand there and waste her time waiting. It's a typical doctor thing to not get there until it's time to deliver. I tried to tell her I don't waste anyone's time and that when I say it's time, it's really time. LOL

I second what Jules said. May is too early to do the daylily gardens. If you wait until June, you can see the gorgeous beds busting with blooms, plus the greenhouse and also the huge pond of lotus! Peak bloom up here has been pushed back until like the first week of July the last year or two and you can reasonably count on them hitting it in mid-June.

Bummer Kimberley. I hope Howie just has a 24 hour bug. Wear a mask and a full body ummm, trash bag and give the big guy a hug. :)
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 9, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6114165

Dusty and Neil, I think if you're wanting to see daylilies growing in the ground that are blooming you'll want to wait until about the third week in June at least. Or around the 4th of July. I start my open gardens about the second week in June and run through the third weekend in July but the first couple of weeks bloom can be very sparse as with the last part of July.

It's best to go to the places during a week day when there's fewer people and you can take your time. You're all always welcome to stop in at our place.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6114340

Good Morning all...36* here this morning...a bit foggy..supposed to hit the 50's today...

Gonna leave here shortly to get Jim up to the VA for his Labs...stop at the fish store for food and head down to get my new table...

Neal...I was just going by what Juli had told me about April/May being greenhouse time and June /July being field time...but now that I am RETIRED< we can go anytime I suppose...This is a training mission that Juli has set me on... LOL
You are more than welcome to join us Bonnie...I have been wanting to see Neals Gardens since forever, so I was going to kill 2 birds with one rock, and I thought he would enjoy going with me...LOL I am sure Cookie will want to come along too...We can decide on a date later on...
Thanks Janet..I just can't do alot of walking without it tearing up my back, so we will see how it goes...

Off to get dressed and get out of here...Cookie will be home today and need her car back later on, so I need to get my errands done...

Have a terrific day...

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6114440

Dear Dusty --- I had forgotten to mention that the greenhouse bloom at John's varies anywhere from mid April to end of May --- depends so much on weather, sunshine, and how much $$ he has put into heating. I always have to keep in touch with him, and go at the last minute - when ever he says to! Last year, I went a few days before Memorial Day weekend. One year it was early enough in April that there was a late snow storm. I would not worry about the greenhouse. It's more of a breeder thing --- I go mainly to do photos (John uses my photos sometimes on the Lily Auction or in his catalog)...

Gotta run -- taking Mom to get a new toaster oven today - she has been several days without a toaster and it's driving her batty. She's pacing the floor waiting on me!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6115320

good morning
or afternoon i guess.
lol
did 4 miles on elliptical
Good to know on pinapple on sweet spuds. yumo sound good.
waiting on FIl to help me with a leak in the bathtub . got to calk it ? yeah that will look nice ? not. grrrr.
have a great day everyone
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6115730

I'm Hoooooome...Got Cookies light bulb, fish reef food, and MY TABLE!!! See how ya like this one...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6115738

Here is the side view...That is a wad of clear tape on the right leg top..Jim was afraid since it was missing a screw that we would lose it so my guy on the dock taped it for us...

Jim is taking a rest break, and then he is going out and getting it all tightened up for me...I definitely think a long upholstered bench for this one side...I am going to get the crackle for the 2 chairs I already have that are painted a ghastly brown, and I can touch up the table where it needs it in a couple spots...Definitely French Country, and I love it!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6115742

Here is one of the 2 new chairs that cost me $17 for the pair...Okay... now mind you...the brown on the seat is jute, and some yo-yo wove baby blue YARN through it...This is one of the reasons I passed on them originally, BUT handyman that I am ;-P...I can reweave with the proper material including new jute or rush...Heyyyyy.. I'm RETIRED ...I have all the time in the world to PLAY!!! ROFLLLLLLLLL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6116803

::::::::::;Breezing by waving frantically to mark the new thread:::::::::::::::::::

Hey everybody! Hugs and many kisses!

Toni and Oprah

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6116807

Dusty, the table is beautiful! Great find! And those chairs will look great with it when your done. And June will be a colorful time to see my gardens too (I hope, LOL). The Asiatic Lilies, Poppies, and some Roses should be in bloom, and hopefully the scads of annuals I'm starting.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6116954

Wow, You have all been busy while I forgot to watch the thread. All the doings sound like fun and Chele has a good handle on the upcoming birth!

I've been under the house today... in the very skinny crawl space. We have another plumbing leak... 5th or 6th one in the 2.5 years I've been here. Anyway, I can't get to it with enough elbow room for leverage to cut the pipe, and my handyman is too fat to get under the heat duct. A plumber will be here in the morning. I've been telling my sis for a year there was a slow leak under the kitchen floor, and she kept denying it. It has become worse and in some spots only the vinyl floor covering keeps us from falling through the wet, soggy chipboard underlayment.

I bought all the material 18 months ago to replace all the water supply lines, just can't find someone affordable (or thin enough) to do the work.

In the meantime, I have my handyman friend coming at 7 am tomorrow to take me to fetch a ton of gravel for the muddy driveway. (He can only haul a ton on his utility trailer at one time.) I figure we need about 3-4 tons... and a dump truck cannot get across the creek under the roof of our covered bridge, so it's a piecemeal job.

Are you lovin' the warmer weather? (I assume you have it too.)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6117007

Dusty i forgot to tell you i love the table and chairs , looks like blue shoe strings ? weird .
not much here today
went to dr and got new meds . Ugh. have to go back in a month . uhg
had dinner
sweet potato ! yumo
take care
big ~~~~~~~ and ((()))) to you all
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6117434

Awwwwwww Darius... I wish I were closer... I can do that PVC stuff and I'm widdle!!!!...OH!! BTW I forgot to answer your question about the difference between Garbanzo beans and Pidgeon Peas...aka Gandules...They are two very different items...A garbanzo is a hard white round, and a Pidgeon is a smaller slightly more oval green with some taste as opposed to the Garbanzo...You can find them canned in any Spanish section of even the Dollar General...

Thank you all for the comments on my lovely finds...I am overjoyed now that things are finally home and together, and I can see how they will work...Needing things...and finding major bargains when your wallet is practically empty makes it all the sweeter...Gonna save up for the wood to build the bench and get the crackle finish paint...Bet it's more than the table and the two new chairs...ROFLLLLLL

Neal my love, we can have Juli let us know when to go, and work from there...Now that I am RETIRED

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6117721

Dusty, thanks for the "almost" offer to help... LOL. It's not PVC, but PEX. Actually pretty easy to work, a little more flexible that PVC, no gluing, but instead crimp connections with a loooong crimp tool.

I have admired your finds, too (and the crackle finish is growing on me a little). Between you and Ric, there always seem to be gold mines around!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6117744

I have checked in a time or two today, just didn't have time to post. I have successfully, cleaned up my desktop computer and laptop, and they are running like brand new. I thought I had computer problems, but I have DGD Gabriella problems. Gonna have to watch her closer, with the computers. I still have a problem with the router, and I will tackle that tomorrow, plus pay some bills, and other odds and ends.

Dusty the table and chairs will be beautiful when you get them all finished. I am going to sand and refinish my dining room table, I have some places where some hot things have been set down that has damaged the finish. May get to that one day when it is warm outside and I can drag the table out on the deck to work on.

I got out today and picked up debris from the yard. Our next door neighbor runs a deer guide business, and instead of him disposing of the remains of the deer that are brought in and processed, he puts it out in his woods, and eventually our dogs find it, and drag home bones. I picked up a large plastic trash bag of nothing but bones. Then a smaller bag of trash that has either blown into the yard or been helped into the yard by the younger puppies. Sure hope that this is the last of that mess.

DH spent the morning sawing up tree branches, and loading the trailer and hauling it to a spot where he will burn it later. This was just in a area by the road, and he didn't get it all done today either. He has branches that have fallen on the fences and he will have some fence repair to do later. At least it has not been breeched so that the horses can get out.

Darius, I think that you really do need to put in the water lines brand new. You have had several times that you have had leaks, and I don't know if there is a life to PVC, but surely with new, you wouldn't have to worry about them for awhile. My DS is going to have to do the same. They bought a trailer, and have had one leak after another. What kind of estimates have you gotten so far, if you don't mind my asking. I was thinking of giving him money toward this and calling it Birthday and Christmas gifts. Money is tight with them.

Neal, just thinking about flower blooms in a couple or three months is a day brightener. I haven't even started my winter sowing yet, but plan to do so sometime this week.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6117903

Bonnie, I haven't had any estimates because no one wants to come and look at the job. The original PEX installed in about 10,000 trailers (we're talking about 1980 here) was recalled and replaced free including labor. Unfortunately the man who owned this trailer back then had a heart attack and went to Maryland for 2 years and never got it replaced when it was free. It's also unfortunate that I didn't know how faulty the lines were before we had new, larger heating ducts run under the house. There would have been enough room back then (2006) for me or anyone to easily work under there.

The materials to re-do our whole house water lines ran about $200, maybe $250; the PEX tubing is cheap, about $20-25 for a hundred foot roll. The solid brass (chrome-plated) shut-off valves for every sink, toilet and tub (two of each, plus kitchen and laundry) were somewhat expensive... and there are currently none in the house, just the main cut-off at the street. The brass straight-line connectors weren't too expensive, nor the crimp rings. The crimp tool was $100 but that paid for itself when my neighbor fixed the first leak as a neighborly gesture. The PEX tubing isn't as flexible as vinyl tubing, but bends enough that you can make wide turns (like up through the floor to a sink) and not need rigid connectors to make the turns.

One thing I like about the newer PEX is that it can withstand freezing solid and not burst.

Sorry to bore everyone else with plumbing details.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2009

Post #6118012

Darius, I am printing out your post and will be giving it to DS. I don't know what he was thinking about replacing the PVC with, but that gives me an idea of cost. If it was gonna be $800 or more, I would have to rethink that as a gift. Thanks for the info.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009

Post #6118014

Good evening folks. It didn't bore me Darius! Interesting to learn about that material!
We spent part of the afternoon in Lowe's...just looking around. I love hardware and bldg supply places like that!
Then came home and stacked firewood. Shortly after we got that dump truck load..it snowed big time...and Dave had only gotten a little of it stacked. Now it's all done!! Looks better than laying in a big pile!
Well...not sure what is up with my cat! She has been a real brat tonight! You know how in the kitchen, you will have high cupboards...with maybe a foot of space to the ceiling?
Well...Dave walked out into the kitchen a while ago, and here she was...up on top of those cupboards!!!!!!! We have things displayed up there...so I guess she was wanting to see them???? Now I know she can go ANYWHERE! He yelled at her...and she came flying down...lol!! She doesn't even have any front toenails!
I got up early (for me) this morning to watch about that pilot on the Morning Show...and I am sleepy tonight!
SOOOOOOO...I think I will head to bed!
Have a good night everyone...sleep well.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6119631

Good morning everyone
well Ds is sick again with a cough and sniffles. Gonna go see dr and see if we can get him some allergy test. ? T finaly agreed to it.
Not much here.
kinda boring day
rainy and warm . trees are waving ! back and forth.
Macy i love them stores too. get lots of ideas
and what is up with that kitty of yours ? naughty kitty.
Bonnie sounds like you got your hands full with bones and pups .
darius hope you can get that leaked fixed soon.
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6119704

Good Morning all...53* and holding here on the hill...Had some light rain earlier that has pretty much finished off the snow...except for the piles along the driveway where Bro plowed it...

I took a walk around the back of the house yesterday, and found a dead Starling at the base of the drainpipe, so I took it up to the woods...When I came back I saw a dark brown spot on the tan bricks, so I went to investigate and found a small brown bat attached to the wall, but he was also dead so I made another trip up to the woods...I guess I will have to have Jim make some bat houses for me if they are around...They are terrific bug catchers...

I'm going to zip up to the grocery real fast and stop and fill up the gas tank and get ready to give Cookies car back to her...They got back late last night from their trip, so I know they are sleeping in...Sounds like they had a long day at Miami International Airport...LOL I hate that place...

I need to go dig out one of my 5 gal buckets and get some paint mixed up down in the basement while I do laundry...then I'm going to clear out the dining room, and get going with the paint brush...then I'll shampoo the carpet, and bring in the new table...yayyyyy!!
Crazy me had to open the garage door this morning just to see if it was still out there...LOL

Have a great day y'all...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6120347

Hi... inside for a break. Here's what the 6,000 pounds of gravel Mike and I spread this morning, shovelful by shovelful! It took 3 trips to the quarry, and on Thursday we hope to do 2 more trips. I hope that will be enough... my side (the still-grassy side) shouldn't need it as deep. Of course, we know we'll have to add more on top by summer, but for now it should help with the mud.

The plumbing leak is repaired also. The guy charged $75 for about an hour and a half total time, and I supplied the materials. But it's done, for now. He doesn't want the job of replacing all the water lines either.

Off to town to see if I can find a pair of reading glasses... it's too nice to stay inside!

Thumbnail by darius

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 10, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6120385

Darius, that looks mighty fine. I told DH night before last I don't think there's a driveway we own that isn't going to need rock this year. At that point he sighed and said he guessed he's going to have to work on the lime truck. I really don't care how he gets it spread, shoot, the tri-axles can dump and he can spread but right now every road we have has about 2 inches of mud in 'em. I can't decide if the last two years of drought has anything to do with it or not but last winter it seemed the roads turned to slop and it's not any better this year.

That little crimping tool is surely pricy but DH says that piping is much easier to work with than PVC or copper. If you didn't live so far away I'd volunteer my workforce...

Janet

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6120410

Thanks. Everything here is awfully muddy everywhere too. I just wish we could get a dump truck in here... we could really use another 6-8 tons instead of just a 3-4" skim coat over the muddy grass. (There's NO base where we park.) ! Plus, spreading it after a dump truck deposits it has to be easier than with a shovel and rake. :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6120449

Darius, have you thought about building another bridge so trucks can get to ya? ;) You could be high falutin' with two bridges to your place! LOL

Howie's bug did, indeed, leave as quickly as it came. He made a pasta dish for dinner with a tomato sauce and shrimp. He never would have defrosted and cooked shrimp if he still felt sick.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6120493

Hey all
darius my hat to you , wow great job :) and with a rake and shovel too. You must have one strong back !
went to grocery
came home with my meat
took it back grrrr
i really think he gave me ground round. Im convinced of it
i have been buying Laura's extra lean organic beef for years. I can tell you it was ground round !!!
he went to the back to get it for me, wrapped it in butcher paper. I had a feeling too, but just second guessed myself
He didnt' even get the lbs right !!! 5 lbs in 1lb packages. Duh how hard is that
they wern't even close but over a lb so i was getting more but also being charged or it grrrr one pkg was 4.98 and the other is 4.17 ! ummm
got my money back
venision is looking better and better next fall.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6121942

Sue I know someone who can hook you up w/ Lamb...

We're buying a 1/4 steer this Spring. Black Angus raised by a friend of ours.
Hey they can get around OK w/ just 3 legs can't they?

Darius that looks GREAT!
Now that you're experienced... lol!

That new RAM in the puter is making a whale of a difference.
Boot up, camera uploads and editing were fast now they are blazing.
Even my old (3 years) machine seems to have new life.
It's a cheap upgrade too... and VERY DIY friendly.

Still raining here.
The last of the snow is gone..just a bit of stuborn ice on the north side left.
That near 70 tomorrow should take care of that.

Watch out for the wind storms coming tomorrow night!!

Here's a little taste of Building Values.
Shot by Robyn yesterday.
$2700.00
FULL kitchen full of cabinets uppers and lowers. Solid wood. 5 years old.
GRANITE counter tops included!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6121951

The other end.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6121959

A little taste of the shelves.
Single cabs on the left... usually about 30 bucks.
Cabinet doors singles... about 5 bucks... solid wood. Usually Oak or Maple...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6121976

Three Jacuzzi Tubs... $350 each...

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 8:36 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6121989

Need a sink?

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6122329

Wow Ric, some nice looking pieces.

Darius, better get the linament out tonight, and the pain pills, you will probably need them after doing that much shoveling and raking. But hey, it looks good.

Aw Sue, back to the Dr. If DS is just getting a tad better, then lapsing into it again, it probably is allergy. Hope it can be treated with OTC meds. Although, I am a firm believer in the shots, I took them for about 12 years, and although I still have allergies, not near as bad as they were.

Janet, I think that all the gravel driveways are gonna be in need of additonal gravel this spring. Better check the almanac to see when it is the "right" time to do it. I remember if the "moon" isn't right, it will sink. Darius, chime in here, as I know you do the Gardening by the Moon.

Dusty, glad that you got all the running chores done, so that you could return Joyce's car. If you are close enough, kick her and tell her to get in her and tell us about that fabulous trip. Did she say she found my money?

Marcy, I didn't comment the other day, but when a trip to Walmart makes us giddy, that is definitely cabin fever!!

Kimberly, glad that Howie is better. Those viruses can really knock the props out from under you.

Well, the puppies are beginning to leave. One left today, and tomorrow 2 more go.

Quick turn your tvs on they are doing an interview with the 8 baby's mom. It is on NBC
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6122656

DH changed the channel! I caught the tail end of it. Oh NO, she's not getting public assistance, just $400+ in foodstamps and using student loan money. She'll be supporting the kids herself when she goes to work? 14 kids? I've known a bunch of single moms with 2 kids that barely make ends meet! Question...if she's using student loan money to live on, how is she paying for school, so she can get a job afterwards? OK, I'm through...

Just popped in to say hi. Haven't really had anything to say, so just been reading the posts.

Great deals, you found there, Dusty and Robyn!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6123341

Nice stuff there RIc , mmm i love lamb ! sounds like a good deal you got there with your friend.
We googled cronic broncittis and other stuff. Some people have it for years off and on ?
just day by day with this kid
well off to school
i forgot the party stuff for austin and its due today yikes
i hope dollar genereal has stuff
its pouring rain
sue
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 11, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6123361

Sort of bummed out this morning.

Last week my son brought a fellow student and friend in with him to stay a few days between winter term and spring term because the dorms were closed at Berea due to the ice. Very, very nice young man from Oakland CA. He was living in the sustainable village there on campus. Well, DS called DH last night horribly upset. The young man passed away yesterday. Right now we don't know the details, I'm praying it wasn't suicide. A young 19 year old that for all practical purposes appeared healthy when they left for school on Saturday afternoon. My heart absolutely bleeds for his parents who sent him off to school after Christmas never dreaming that they'd never see him alive again...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6123405

Oh, Janet how horrible. Death for a 19 year old, whether from illness or accident or suicide is just incomprehensible to me, and probably everybody else. ((gentle hugs)) to you and your DS. Let us know more as you receive details.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6123418

Okay, I'm here...tough transition after all that pampering and food! Bill doesn't seem to think it's his job to keep up the pampering! :O(

Sorry, Bonnie, my money stayed to keep yours company. I did have a little luck on the ship on the last night. Started with $15 and quit with $40. The guy standing behind me (I play roulette) said the night before he'd won enough to pay for his cruise. Trouble is, to win big, you have to bet big...I just couldn't do that...cause sometimes...you LOSE big!

Yes, we had a long day at the Miami Airport. We were able to spend it in the Delta Crown Room, but it is a "temporary" Crown room. (Temporary for 13 years now...) so just a room with tables and chairs, some snacks and alcohol if wanted (or needed). We got off the ship at around 7:00 and didn't make it home until after 10:00 so a long travel wait around day. Glad that's over. Glad to be back to my own pillow! :o)

I didn't get my car yesterday, really didn't need it, but I will have to get it today. Sorry, Dusty...

I actually did read all you guys had written. Took me a LOOONNGG time! I'm glad to be back that's for sure.

Is it time to start talking about the Round Up yet????? Can't tell I want to get outside, huh???

Bill found a bargain on a 6'x9' pond kit for $500. He asked me if it would be better than nothing and I said no. I'd rather not have a tiny one. I would be pouting all the time...If I have to, I'll just go visit Bertie and Dusty to get my pond fix. (I haven't given up on the pond yet...I still think there will be one there!)

Okay, off to get some housework done. Didn't feel like doing anything yesterday. I think I had a little ear infection. I seem to be better today. Not lightheaded anyway.

I MISSED you guys! I need a laptop...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6123423

Oh, Janet, I'm so sorry for that. (((Janet and DS)))
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009

Post #6123763

(((Janet)))

Sue, my youngest son had continuous battles with bronchitis and ear infections from infancy till kindergarten. He was 5 before the doctor figured out he had asthma. He said that DSs bronchitis, asthma, allergies and sinus problems were all related, that one would/could bring on the other. His allergies would also bring on asthma attacks. You just have to find the right doctor that will figure out what's going on with your son.

Joyce, sounds like a wonderful trip!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6123826

(((((Janet )))) i m so sorry to hear of the news . T&P to you and his family.
msrobin good to know, thank you !! we are thinking the same thing that it could be asthma. We are still looking into it . thanks for the info about your son.
kids are at school , im out of the shower
had a bad morning with the kids, got mad , my fault . uhg. they couldn't find thier shoes and we were realy late "ack"
gonna get on the fat machine and hope to have a good workout .
lots of mud here :( driveway is slowly sinking .
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6126034

Hey everybody.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. "Life" happened got crazy busy but all is well now. Thank goodness the weather cooperated but from the forecasts there are some changes coming.

Glad to see you all doing ok.

Janet, by the way, sincere condolences, such a tragedy. Hearing way too much about losing our young people these days. Bless His and your family throughout all this.

WB from your trip Joyce.

Gonna go hunt up some dinner.

((((((((((((Hugs to all who need them and to all who don't but I needed to hug anyway)))))))))

Toni

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6126484

As the main body of the front passes thru the gusts are increasing in strength.
Now we're at 31 MPH sustained w/ gusts hitting 62 MPH!
It should be over by early AM...

Lots of stuff moving around in the yard but no crashes...yet! lol!

Wu and the cats are safe inside and won't even go near the door.

Ric
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6126590

Oh, Janet, how sad! :( Lots of prayers going up for his family and friends, I know.

Well, gang, I got the results of Friday's MRI. I have a herniated disc at C5-C6 and it's pressing up against the nerve on the right side. That explains so much of the pain that didn't have to do with the shoulder. My surgeon's referred me to a specialist in Columbus. I guess I'll know more after I see him. I'm really hoping I don't need surgery to correct this. One day at a time, right? :)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6126793

(((((Janet)))))...so very sorry to hear about the young boy. My eldest son lost a friend when he was about that same age. It was really rough. My prayers are with all of you.
WB Joyce! Hope you had a great time!
Ric...stay anchored down there! Dayton airport had gusts to 60mph...and we have had some wild gusts here also. Power has gone off several times...but thankfully, came back on. Unlike your animals, my cat wants to go out! But I won't let her...lol. I am the meanest mom around!
Sue...my youngest son had constant ear infections when he was little. They removed his tonsils at age 2, and he never had another one. I realize...they don't do that anymore...or at least I don't think they do?
Robin...Toni...good to see you both.
Kimberley...hang in there. I hope you don't have to have surgery too. Saying prayers for you.
Nothing new here...we didn't get that much rain...mostly wind...and they said that will continue until morning.
I wish a good night for all of you!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6126940

Thanks, Marcy. Man, these winds are freaking me out! I don't know what MPH the gusts are, but they're strong! Our power has gone off a couple times so far.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6127105

Janet...I have sent Prayers in the Smoke tonight for that young man and his Family as well as yours...That is a difficult thing for a young man as young as your son to deal with...

We were without cable for just under 2 hours...no TV, no puter... but we didn't lose power...yet..
Winds have been bad but not damaging yet that I can see in the lights, but they are pretty hefty...they are steady at 30 with gusts of 49-55 mph right now...Temp is still at 45*...supposed to drop to 35* tonight... Raining again at the moment too...it is really howling out there...

Jim got the new table base fixed and stabilized, and the top is screwed on now...it fits the room perfectly...I can't wait to get the wood to make the bench...it is gonna look terrrrrrific...

Laundry is about done...break until tomorrow...No Rush..I'm RETIRED!!!
I fixed supper, and will wait on the paint mix until daylight tomorrow...I want to be sure it's right, and something we can enjoy that blends with the Kitchen which is a major focal point in the house...

WHOOOOHOOOOO I talked to Paulie in TN... over an hour...he is doing soooooo great!! We are still *married* and still love each other to pieces...He talked to Jim for a good long bit too...He misses us all including the boys at the VA really much...He asked if his Psych Doc can call me so I can help with his PTSD...He is finally off all of his narcotic pain meds, and he is delighted...and so am I...I gave him his first dose of Morphine during TET when I picked him up shot to pieces...As long as he can hang on to his last leg, he won't be needing anymore...I am soo proud of him and how far he has come...I miss him terribly much but as he said...once I get wheels, I can come get him...I wish you all could meet him...and you will at the Spring RU...He WILL be there with me, unless something unforeseen happens... :-))))

Toni... I am so glad you are doing better, and back among the rest of us dregs...We get sick, we get well etc... LOL

I am off to my rack.. shower first...tired tonight...not exhausted..just tired and that is a good thing...

Huggggggggs!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #6127166

Just a quick "Hi!" while the winds are quieter... it has been nasty here, too. Tornado warnings. I need to try to sleep despite the howling winds since tomorrow is another gravel day.

I worked out some of the kinks today by digging in the dirt! Someone gave me some thornless blackberry plants this morning, but before I could plant them, I had to move about 35 raspberry plants into the new trellis I built last summer. Still have about 25 more to move. Ugh. Of course, many are just new sprouts that have crept underground from the main plant roots, but still a mess to dig.

Sorry to hear about the young man's death... and Kimberly's herniated disk.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6127727

Goodmorning, Everyone! Hope no one got blown away with all that wind! Were you all able to get the tree debris cleaned up before this wind?Unbelievable weather this past 6 months.

GW, good they were able to find out what the problem was causing you all the pain. That's half the battle sometimes. Is being on your feet so long at work making it worse?

(((Toni))), hope things have settled down for you to a managable level!

Dusty, talk about the energizer bunny! You're running circles around him. Thought being retired was suppose to mean you had more time to stop and smell the roses?

Marcy, glad to see you slowed down a little after the holidays.

Sue, how you doing? Don't seem quite as "high strung" this week. LOL! Hope DS is better.

Darius, don't overdo it with the gravel and planting today!

RIc, did you and Robyn get your new room finished?

Bonnie, how is DM doing these days? {psst...I think Dusty is trying to keep up with you and all you do}

Not much going on here...still in the motel (had a place lined up, but the current resident decided to stay, so looking again) and got a new buddy to hang out with sometimes (wife of one of DHs friends, but she's only 20). The really great thing about all this traveling is that I come across some great things to collect to take back home. The place we're looking at now have a ton of 15-20' bamboo plants and lots of fallen bamboo canes. Would love to take a bunch of those canes home, along with a small plant or two. :-)

Have a great day!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6127795

Dusty, a while back we were talking about planting for birds. I get Mike McGroarty's newsletter in my email and this came in today.

["Plants that have fruit that persists throughout winter are
important food sources for birds. These would include bayberry,
hackberry, flowering crabapple and juniper.

Plant sunflowers, coneflowers and black-eyed Susans, and allow
them to go to seed. These plants will attract goldfinches and
chickadees who will happily feast on the seeds and entertain you
with their cheerful songs and antics."]
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 12, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6128006

Talked to DS a little more yesterday. He said that they found his friend laying on his bed with his boots still on and they don't think anyone had seen him since Saturday evening. That would have possibly made my son, and me for that matter, one of the last ones to see him. He said that he did some some minor diagnosed heart condition, I don't know if it was a murmur or what but the kid ran track for the school so I figure it couldn't have been too bad at the time. Still, it's sure shook up the kids down there. Me too for that matter...

Blew like a son of a gun last night. In fact, blew the Rion greenhouse that I bought last fall across my MIL's back yard and now we have the pleasure of trying to figure out how to put the darned thing back together. Not a happy camper right now but at least it wasn't full of my cabbage, broccoli and tomato plants...

I helped get the cows fed last night. Got a continual face full of ground corn and dust while trying to fill feed buckets. I'm still fishing it out of my eyes. Had to help DD feed the three legged cow and the bulls. Couldn't get the doors to the barn open without help. Brought a new calf to the barn. He was wandering around the wrong field looking like a mudball while his mother was in the next field feeding her face. I told him to enjoy, that last night would probably be the driest he'd be seeing for a while.

Have a good one folks.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6128156

Good morning all...36* and sunny here, but no more wind...

THanks Robin...I have LOTS of coneflower here already, and more seeds to plant...I had 2 beautiful flowering crabapples at the little house in Dayton that I got for $5 each at K-mart, nearly dead at end of season...
I'm going to keep an eye out for more, as do love them, and there are plenty of places to put them around here...LOL
Not to worry, that Bons still runs circles around me...She even makes me tired...LOL

Janet... sorry to hear about your greenhouse...what a mess for you...
More than one young man has dropped dead on a basketball court, or a track, etc. from heart related issues...Such a shame, and a sad loss for all of you...I am so sorry...

Bro, I meant to comment on those bathtubs...The highest price I have seen here at Habitat has been $125 including the pump...Most tubs there now are $25 and $35...and most are new...

I just went out to refill the Squirrel chow, and found another Starling dead here by the porch...wonder whats up with that?

You all have a wonderful day... I'm off to play in the paint...

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6128405

Good morning, DH and I headed out yesterday afternoon, to go to Belterra, a casino in Vevay, Indiana. DH is just so stressed, and tired, staying with his DM,that he said Tuesday, call and book a room, I need a little get away. This is our Valentine's day gift to each other. The good news was, it was all complimentary, and all we spent was 20 for food (that was a comp too) and the gas to get us there. He is rested, and in a better mood, and I got to play the slots with $70 of invested money,played 5 hours, and cashed out with 71.19. What a cheap night of gaming.

Got home to limbs down, and all the clocks blinking, so we lost power at some point in time. No real damage, just the wind rearranged some outside ornaments, and DH's rain barrels, and some feed troughs at the horse barn. All easy fixes.

Need to run to the grocery store, as Mr. B has no food, and he is looking at me pitifully. My friend picked him up after she got off work yesterday, and took him to her house, and returned him here this morning. I think he thinks he is keeping a secret from me, like I didn't know he was gone. He pulled his poor pitiful me act, when I came in. He is such a character.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6128413

I'm here...today is my little girls' birthday...she was born in Stuttgart Germany in 1971. Yes...I am old... :O)

I lost one of my bird-feeders in the wind last night. The niger feeder. :O( I just filled it yesterday and there is seed all over the ground. I'm hoping that it isn't busted. It holds 3 pounds and I don't have to fill it as often as the skinny ones. I don't need the expense of replacing it right now!

I was talking to one of my GFs daughters last night and she has the perfect job for me..She is an auditor for Krogers. I was all excited until she said the office is in Cincinnati. :O( I don't want to drive that far, plus after I talked to her a bit, she said that the job is 80% travel. Now with a garden the size of mine, I just don't think that will work.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6128791

Good afternoon.

Well, my day didn't go as planned... This is what I awakened to this morning. Laying under the branchy top part of the maple tree is my raspberry trellis/beds. We've cleared a bunch of it already (after moving 2800 pounds of gravel first thing this morning). It looks like I lost one of my currant bushes, and some damage to several raspberries. Of course, the trellis posts are toast but can be repaired and re-installed. I'm SO glad I moved more raspberry plants into there yesterday and fixed all the support wires. Sheesh. And of course, my chain saw won't start. Jessica's boyfriend used it last year, without my permission. He apparently tried to saw a rock too, as the new chain is buggered.

Mike will be back tomorrow at 7 AM, to help with another load of gravel, and cut up the rest of the maple tree (with his saw). I hope to get the raspberry area cleaned and repaired today, but I'm running out of steam rapidly. The good news is the tree just missed all the shallots and garlic, but only by a foot. They all have sprouted are up about 3" now so I'm hoping for a decent crop.

Okay, break over... back to moving debris.

Thumbnail by darius

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6128868

YIKES Darius!
Well at least it's not on the House!

So ...
I'm guessing you're not going to need any firewood come Autumn?

It looks as if we had no damage last night.
Power was out here at work for a few hours 3rd shift.
All the advisories and stuff are cancelled.

We're still working on the room.
The problem now is they are trying to get Robyn's late parents house ready to sell up in Mad River.
It's definitely a wreck inside...
should have been sold 5 years ago when her Father passed.
Her Bro in CA let her sister get away w/ murder and so we have to get it ready.
We were going to do the demo, rock and roll but he wants a 'Professional'...
Anyone here not trust Robyn and I do do YOUR place? lol!
Anyway a drywaller is supposed to have the kitchen ready to go by mid next week.
So Robyn's getting cabs and doors here.
Then we'll cart them up and install.
Her sisters are painting the place...
hopefully it will be back on the market by the first of March.

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6129180

Awwwwww Darius...I am soo sorry...At least you have some help to get it cleaned up, but what a shame and what a mess to have to deal with on top of everything else...

Bro...Brothers in CA should stay there...When was the last time he saw the house??? Are you talking about the one where I went to get the VA donations?? If so, that garage was bad enough...I can't imagine the house...Poor Robyn...I feel for her...and you too having to do all that on top of your own things that need doing...You trust Them to PAINT??? ROFLLLLLLLL...C'mere Robyn...have I got a roller for youuuu!! LOL

I have the first coat of paint on the inside of the front door and the window edging of the outside...I'm going to have to do another coat of primer on the outside of the door and the frame...Coulda used another coat on the inside too, but too late...Now I gotta second coat it...
I finally got my wall paint mixed up and ready to roll...I will start trimming out here in a bit...Gotta haul the bucket up out of the basement...LOL
Dreading that, cause it means I will have to switch out a laundry load, and I don't wanna...LOL...

Okay...Yoghurt lunch break is over...

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6130028

Darius, it's like one step forward and two back for you this year. Like Ric says, you got lots of firewood for next year.

And Miss Bonnie just slipped away and didn't tell anyone...glad you broke even. Can't beat that! Well, you could, but at least you didn't lose it all. LOL!

Joyce, bummer about the job!

Dusty, I sure wish you was closer so you could put of that excess energy to work on my place. My problem is I have too many irons in the fire.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6130080

Darius, so sorry to see your downed trees. Looks like, ( if you had a working saw) that would make a nice stack of wood.

I don't gamble often, but DH's nerves are frayed from staying with his DM, and he just came in on Tuesday, said book us a room, I need to get away. It did help him, he rested and job to just watch tv and not worry about anything for a day. Came home to news that DMIL is worse,bronchitis, probably with pneumonia. So this may finish her. DH left right away, and will call and update me later.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6130445

Bons...so glad you could do a get away...I'm sure it helped you as well as DH... Too bad Mr B is such a liar...LOL

I am really sorry about your DMIL...and I do send Smoke that it will be a quick ending for her and all of you...It is so hard, I know, but hopefully soon her quality of life on another plane will be far better...Holding you both in my thoughts...

Thanks Robin, but I have my own pile of Irons to sort through here...I am just trying to get the inside done while it is too cold to do outside... Come Spring, watch out...my hinnie will be dragging...I have alot of outside house maintenence to do as well as the gardens, so it will be a very long day, every day...

Whats for Supper Bons????
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6130571

Good evening everyone. Supper here was homemade vegetable soup, and homemade cheese biscuits. It was good!
Bonnie, so sorry to hear about DMIL. Is she at home or back in the hospital?
I lead such a sheltered life here. I have never been to one of those gambling places. I would be afraid I would lose everything...lol.
Like Ric said Darius, glad that tree didn't hit your house!
We didn't have any damage here, not even many limbs down. I guess we were quite lucky with the power though. Dave said the town's power was out about 12 hrs. They even had to close the grocery early last night. Oh my goshhhhh...that just doesn't happen!!!
And several people he knows had trees come down...soooooo...lucky us!
Don't know much else here. Just thought I would say hello to all.
Have a good evening!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6130591

darius sorry to hear of your tree situation. He tried to saw a rock ?
Ric i hope things work out for you guys, family can suck at times , I agree with Dusty " you are going to have them paint ? " LOL .
I would trust you to do my home :)
hey still interested in the wood ? i got pics i can dmail you. LMK
Cookie that job sounded so great ! but so far and so much traveling :(
not much here
took kids to wally and got grocerys
lunch with inlaws
windy , windy and more windy.
no damage just my garbage cans went flying and in the creek. that was fun ...not
Bonnie big ((())) and T&P to you and your DH. he must be so tired ? and you too.
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6130895

(((((Janet))))) ((((((Kimberly)))))...y'all in in my thoughts and prayers.

Darius, so sorry about the damage.

I'm so goofy on flu medicine, so keeping it short and sweet. No telling what I may type, LOL. Flu symptoms hit me like a ton a bricks last night with a sudden fever. I'm sensitive to a lot of that cold and flu stuff, but the good thing is I'm pretty content to just sit and stare into space when I'm on it, LOL. A good thing, since that's about as much as I feel like doing. I got on here for a while earlier today, and just sort of slowly went down till my nose was pressed against the glass desk top- it was kinda shocking when I realized what I was doing, LOL.

Hugs to all...from a safe distance..
Neal
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6131256

Well the sheetrock guy gave Robyn's family an estimate.
12 grand!
Needless to say we'll be doing the work.
I can get in there w/ a few people 'demo' what needs demo'ing in a day and have all the repairs done.
Next day up sand, paint and hang cabs... done and done.
Slap up a sign... lol!

Some areas down here did get smacked!
The high hill houses lost tons of trees.
Some spots I drove thru they just cut the trees off the road...
Mostly in the VERY HIGH rent district near us.

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6131367

ric, family knows a good thing when they see/hear it!! That price probably put them into shock, and your work became much more sought after!!

Neal so sorry about your flu symptoms, if you haven't tried it the Musinex is great!

Robin, hope you find a place soon, and can get out of that motel.

Dusty, dang nab it, you have fiddled with that paint bucket for 3 days, get it upstairs and get a going. Supper here was a sandwich, with DH gone a lot, I just don't do much cooking just for me. I had some turkey breast from the turkey I cooked over the weekend, and it was a turkey sandwich for me.

Kimberly, don't think I comment on your latest medical find. I hope that you can get some good news from the next Dr, and hope it doesn't involve surgery.

Marcy, it is fun just to go and watch the action at the casino. I am not a big gambler, matter of fact, I didn't play any slots over a quarter, and mostly the 5 cent, and penny ones. DH likes blackjack, and he played some, but wouldn't say how he did. Usually that means not well.

Sue, have you found out about DS and the allergies, or is he seeing an allergist?

Toni, good to see you posting, don't know what has kept you so busy, but dmail my your phone number, so we can talk.

Chele, are you still on foot?

Joyce, that job sounded so good, till you got to the part about the traveling. I did that for awhile, and honestly some mornings I would wake up, and have to check my plane ticket to see what city I was in. Not a good feeling.

Since I haven't checked email for a couple of days, off to do that.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6131585

nothing yet on the allergies. he is fine at the moment. i want to take him when he is really hacking and sick. So they don't look at me like a crazy mom
Neal take care and sleep .
Toni how are things going iwth you gal.? thinking of you :)
yikes on the 12 grand Ric ! good thing they got you around .
i m off to bed
good night
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6132018

Bons...the bucket is mixed and upstairs and a test patch is on the wall, and the trim around the ceiling is done... so there! ;-P
and I'm RETIRED so what's the rush?? ROFLLLLL

Bro...I hope you are submitting a bill to the Estate for your labors???

Get better fast Neal...Don't like to see you miserable...

Hugggs to alll, and see ya later in the AM...

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6132572

Good morning

Advice for the day...Never ever ever eat KFC chicken at midnight. Not good. Will come back and haunt ya.

Since I was up at 4:30 I decided to go to the store and get some laundry started. Bought a bottle of Tide, a half gallon of milk, some anti bacterial wipes and a carton of cigarettes. I spent over $50.00 before the sun came up. That is simply ridiculous.

Needless to say I am so tired I'm loopy, can't sleep, can't eat, drinking diluted coffee but I think I'll survive.

Other than that I have a little good news. What has been keeping me so busy you may ask? Well as of last week I am officially "Business Intermediary and NE Ohio Regional Manager for Aberdeen-Sterling Real Estate Advisors" is that La-Dee-Da or what? LOL. Not a bad gig. Work from home. Partners in Columbus, cool with me and I can take it anywhere in State.

Other than that nothing else. Gonna try to get an hour of sleep while my sweats are in the dryer.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6132623

Yay Toni! You go get 'em girl!

Sorry to hear about the revenge of KFC. My dad had a bad night after eating Popeye's too late. LOL

I was up with ya! I think I get up to use the bathroom every 2 hours lately! Not enough room for the baby and my other stuff in there. :)

I'm find Bonnie! Thanks for asking! My neighbor wanted a third website so we are working on that. He's also been getting through his bulldog pictures so we've been updating those on that site. And thanks to Jules, I'm working on another.

I'm officially 35 weeks now, 5 weeks to go! I failed my first one hour glucose test and was supposed to take the three hour. The told me to fast for the one hour and you are not supposed to. I refused the three hour and told them I wanted to take the one hour again. I told her it was highly unlikely that I suddenly had gestational or regular diabetes and put my foot down. They called yesterday to let me know I passed the one hour this time. hahahaha I was actually kind of afraid I'd fail it because I was being so adamant that I wouldn't. LOL This time I drank my cup of coffee and ate a piece of gum and enjoyed my drive!

With all the talk of schools adding on days to make up for the downed power days of August and January, they actually still have Monday off and Tuesday too! Other schools are not getting off for President's Day. Our school also is having spring break in March, but only 3-4 days and not over Easter?? They decided that would be the new/permanent schedule, not having anything to do with snow days...Parents are not very happy.

Neal, I'm so sorry to hear you are sick. Best way to treat the flu, is sleeping through it! It seems like my kids and me have had one bug after another since around Christmas. I hope it all passes before the baby gets here.

Dusty, sounds like you are taking this retirement thing really seriously. LOL Does this mean you gave up the driving all together?

Ric? $12,000 for drywall?? That's as much as unemployment pays Craig for 6 months! Geesh. Maybe he should buck up and try the construction gig! Physically he's not cut out for it anymore but it would pay the bills!

I know I missed somebody but I have to potty again. LOL Craig is leaving in a bit to man the stove shop for a few hours. I guess I'm forced to stay home and clean. booo hooo
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6132783

Goodmorning, My Friends! Glad to hear all the good news!

Toni, congratulations! So cool you can work from home!

Dusty, what color of paint did you come up with?

Marcy, your dinner sounds wonderful!

Neal, hope you get to felling better soon!

Bonnie, T&P for your family.

Chele, Five weeks, huh? We're on a count down now! :-)

I'm sure most of you feel the same way...I'm really getting tired of this continuous battle against colds, flu, etc! Seems like it last all winter anymore! I've been on antibiotics for 18 days and although the pnuemonia is cleared up, I still get pretty congested. Got to be from smoking. I finally made up my mind that I have to quit smoking, so I'm starting to cut back today. Wish me strength of will power! LOL! The price of cigarettes are going up the 1st of March (in case you haven't heard). Between state and federal taxes, AR is going up $1.13 a pack. Ouch!

Enjoy your day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6132881

Toni !!!! THAT IS SOOOO COOOOOL AND CONGRATS ON THE JOB !!!! You Rock !!!
HA , funny on the dr Chelle, you sure told them :) that bites on the holidays what is up with that ? ! no holiday for easter ? duh .
Talked iwth my oldest Dh last night , it went well i guess. She has a job . I told her she really needs to step up and help out at home , she should go and get grocerys to help . Her step mom is really scared she may loss her job, Dad is also unemployeed at the moment . He is union . SO i hope she can manage 50 bucks to help out her parents.
She also was talking polotics and i had to school her on that . LOL she had alot of opinions and no knowledge on the issues. I told her don't do that , makes you look like an idiot , get the facts , then have an opinion :) LOL so i gave her some input on some issues.
Hmmm i m thinking of a boob job , i better get my tail in gear if i want it done . LOL
have a great day ya'all
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6132883

Good morning, started working on getting things ready to file taxes. This is not my most favorite job. So taking a break. Have load of laundry ready to go in the dryer, but after I accomplish the above, I am taking the rest of the day off!!

Toni, I have just about given up eating KFC. Our local place is the pits, it is also a taco place, and everything you get there tastes the same, a cross between tacos and chicken. Doesn't that sound good. So in order to have decent KFC, drive 16 miles to another place, and that doesn't happen too often. Congrats on the job.

Robin, hoping that you will have the will power it takes to cut back on the ciggys. Ky is raising their taxes, so I may be next in line to do the same, wait I have to calculate which is cheaper, quitting smoking, or going on major nerve pills!!

Break is over, so back to the salt mines.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6132894

Sue, you are keeping secrets from us, how many DH's do you have? LOL.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2009

Post #6132945

LOL Hmmm...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6133000

Bonnie, we're "spoiled" in Ky...they're under $30 a carton. Every other state we've been in are around $40...times 2-3 a week. That alone ought to be reason enough to quit.

Ric, you two are old pros at remodeling now, so doing the parents house will be a breeze for you!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6133109

Good Morning all...Good ole freezing temps here again...It was 29* when I got up and it's made it up to 32*...but at least the sun is out...

Michele...I got *retired * by default...not by choice...I have no transportation at the moment, and the boss is no longer allowing anyone to take their vehicles home, because some were using them for personal use on company gas...
Honestly, I am not upset about it because I had wanted to retire after the first of the year anyway...When the SS office in Springfield figured my SS bennies, they forgot to add a chunk per month I have in Wives benefits, so I just cut back to 4 days a week, and was still getting 40+ hrs a week in...After we moved here, and I put in a change of addy with SS, it was transferred down to the Hamilton Office, and I got a phone call telling me my check was wrong, and that I was entitled to another $300 per month...At the same time, boss pulled my transportation to get back and forth to work until I get mine fixed, so for all intents and purposes, I was let go...Once I counted up the income and the outgo, I decided if I budget very carefully I will not have to go back to work unless I want to...Sooooooo...I'm RETIRED!!! LOL

Robin.. it came out to be a medium sage green...The patch on the wall looks pretty good in the daylight...I like it...The dining is open to the kitchen which is a very pale ice green with an ivy border that has several greens in it, and the new paint matches one of them...LOL
The only thing seperating the living and dining is the 2 sided fireplace, so they both have to be the same color, and that is why I was having an issue with getting the color mixed right...Also, this carpet is marbled with several colors, and a green is one of them, and it had to be right to blend okay with that too...not really a big deal, just sounds that way...LOL

Well speaking of which...I need to get busy...I have to paint the big living room wall first, so I can move the freshwater fish tank, and that is going to take a couple hours...

You all have a great day !!!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6133279

Dusty you quit your job??? You go girl! A lady of leisure now.

:::::Yeah I am still awake and I just cut the View off my tv cause they were making too much noise LOL:::::

MsRob you are correct. I spent $39 and change this morning and that's for Misty's a generic! I think I am gonna ask my doc for Wellbutrin or something to help me quit. I am getting desperate nothing else has worked.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 11:24 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6133450

Yeah ..welll YOU GO MIZ LA DE DAH!!!! Good on you for getting your new moveable job!!! Big Congrats on that one!!!

Just got the kitchen cleaned up so I could have an empty sink...I'm gonna have to fill water buckets for the freshwater tank..Had to go hunt down a clean empty bin to dump the fish and most of their water into, and then siphon out the rest and dump it...Tank needs a good cleaning anyway, so may as well make it now, and be done with it...I will stick their heater and airstone in there, and they will be fine till I get the tank cleaned and moved...

I got most of my desk cleaned off and ready to move...this is where the fish tank is going, so had to do this first...
I think I am procrastinating...LOL

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6133579

In fairness to the contractor... the 10-12 grand included.
Demo of the kitchen to the studs ceiling and walls.
Removal of the existing floor tile.
Same in the LR... re-rock, tape and mud, sand, prime and paint.
Plus the dumpster and cleanup.
High but not unreasonable.

We're not going that route.
I'll see what needs replaced and what can be repaired.
Then just rip out the cabs... repair...paint and slap up the cabs.
Forget the floors... paint the ceilings.
The water stains are from a roof leak that has already been fixed.

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6133599

Bro... Put 50-50 clorox to water in a spray bottle and spray the ceilings where the leaks were... It will eradicate the stains so they don't bleed through...Just in case ya dint know that my lil genius Bro...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6133685

Afternoon, all... In for a break and a soda.

Robin, I pay $22.79/carton for Bailey's, which is a Virginia family-owned tobacco company. So with the Fed Excise tax increase April 1 (I thought it was then, but what do I know?), they will be $28.89... and Virginia wants to tack on another 30 per pack by June but that bill may not pass.

Several years ago I bought a hand-operated gadget that stuffs pre-made cigarette tubes (with filters already on them). That cuts the price considerably, but I quit making them because it is tedious. I may have to re-think that... or quit. My doctor would love for me to quit but it's about the only vice I have left... LOL.

Toni... great going on the new position! and Neal, I hope you are feeling better today. Have a hot toddy... it helps the spirit if not the body!

Well, the maple tree is all sawn and split, although piles of skinny branches are scattered all over the yard now. Too windy to burn them today. I suppose I got just over 1/4 of a full cord of firewood; the tree was only about 14" in diameter at the base, and fully half the tree height was just all small branches. That tree has been dead almost 3 years so the wood is dry. I only left it standing for the birds to perch, and the woodpeckers to get the bugs under the peeling bark.

I have to start bringing the firewood up to the porch today before the rains come... and I'm already pooped. Brought in one more load of gravel this morning, and I think that's all I will do for the nonce. It looks good, though.

Ric, if you don't want to wet the ceilings with clorox/water, put a coat of BIN over the stains before you paint. It's an orange shellac with some white pigment, dries in about 10 minutes, MUCH better than Kilz.

Ta, ta...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6133776

Darius...you are making Bons and I both look bad...LOL

Paulie had very little money out at the VA, and he is a heavy smoker... His bud Bills wife brought him a pack of smokes to try...She works at Speedway...He liked em, so she brought him a carton...Price is $10.79 including tax...They are Smokers Choice, little cigars...They come in Green, menthol, Red, regular, and Blue, lights...I ran out one day out there, and Paulie gave me 2 of his to hold me till I could get to the store...Not bad at all...bought 2 paks, and had Jim try one...He liked em too, so I bought a carton...Now I spend $22 a week instead of $60..
The only thing Cigar about them is the paper...and they don't taste like a cigar...There is a place I used to pass that was a smoke shop that advertised cartons for $7.80, but I never had time to stop and see about them...Jim will never quit smoking, and as long as he is, I know I won't either...I have been smoking for over 50 yrs...so I don't see quit in my future...

Check em out Toni...Will save you a bundle!!!

The clorox doesn't wet the ceiling that much in a spray bottle, and it doesn't cost like the other things do...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6134006

woops sorry LOL
i meant to say i talked with DD LOL woops my bad .
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6134193

Thanks Dusty...will try a pack when I run out of these. I used to smoke More Light Menthol, the beige ones til they went up over $45.00 so I am not biased LOL. You have dmail by the way. (I will wait to hear you scream) Good screams y'all don't worry.

Darius I feel ya on that taxation of cigs man...Up here in the 'burbs they get us coming and going. In Lake county the tax is considerably less but you spend the extra money driving out there. Catch 22.

Dusty have you heard about the VA's smoke cessation classes where they give you the patches but you have mandatory Smoker's Anonymous meetings? LOL I tried it once and went to the dang meetings and there was an ex boyfriend sitting up in there. That just made me smoke more LOL. Needless to say, I flunked out and they stopped sending me the patches.

Gotta run!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6134535

Well the house now officially looks like a Warzone, and I haven't put on one drop of paint yet... :-( It has taken me this long to get all of the furniture moved away from the walls, some of it out of here...I am storing the 2 porch rockers in each of the bedrooms till summer...but they are out of the living room, and so is one of the chairs...Added a bunch more to the SA box out on the porch...I am really getting brutal about it...All of my lighthouse collection is in the box, except for the one Kinkaid that lights up...I just have no place to display all of this stuff anymore, and it is just more cwap that has to be dusted, so it's gone...

I need my house to be clean, and once I start my sculpting or needlework, I am not going to want to have to be a slave to the house... I have the 2 big gardens and the pond to tend to, 2 fishtanks that need care, and daily cleaning around here that doesn't need added cwap to do...Too many projects going on this summer around the house that need doing as well...and that's the end of that...LOL

Toni, you will have Dmail later...Did you hear me scream??? LOL

Okay, I have another armload to hit the SA box, so I'm outta here for a bit...
Grilled Chicken Salads for dins tonight...Gotta use up the greens...

dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6134926

We pay 37.23 for a carton of Basic Brand Cigs and they are going up a dollar a pack next month. I wish they would put the 'sin' tax on booze, but then the senators and congressmen would have to pay too much for their booze! I've always said smoking may be bad for a person, but alcohol kills more innocent victims than cigs ever could. Also, a large percentage of us baby boomers were raised in homes with second hand smoke and amazingly, we survived! I'll go back and lurk some more and get off my soapbox. Have a good evening all! Lou

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009

Post #6134969

I think i m the only one here that doesn't smoke ?
I used to smoke and there are times when i would really like to light one up. But the cost is crazy !
I'll take a beer or a good wine
and if all else fails ... there is always ... papas receipe LOL .
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009

Post #6134971

LOL Lou you got that right. My Momma, my Daddy, and all of my Sisters and my Brother all smoke(d) of course with me the baby.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6135101

Sue, your not the only one :-) I'm not a smoker. Not much of a drinker either. Maybe kill one bottle of wine a year. Oh, and one bottle of Carolyn's over the holidays between myself, my Mom and my Ex. The wine I use in cooking more than drinking. I like mixed drinks, but not supposed to drink when taking topamax, so ... I never really liked it anyway.

Just call me dull...

At work, cheating an using one of the sales ladies computers where she has the internet. LOL

Waiting till 7:30 then I am going home. I think I have something else going on other than just RSD --- I had terrible pain last night, and today... I think it's flu or food poisoning or something. just know I am not right. Taking half day vacation. Last night, when I was driving home, I should not have been driving. I was a mess. Had to keep stopping and stepping out of the car to clear my head. That's not good! Good thing I drive all back country roads with no one on them.

The witchazels are starting to bloom!!!! The hellebores have buds up!!!! and, Mom saw a flock of robins in my crab apple eating the crab apples - so spring cannot be far away.

Waving to everyone! ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6135301

I sure hope you feel better soon , sounds like you have something going on . Get to bed and get some rest . Sending healthy thoughts to you
We can be dull together LOL
well just talked with T and he might finaly be working yeah . Sheesh china takes forever to get started.
good night
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6135622

Hey Sue and Jules...I'm a non smoker too. Been clean for about 19 yrs now. And I was a heavy smoker before that...2 pks a day...for 30 yrs. Best thing I ever did for myself was quit!
Dave quit ...so I could quit...otherwise it wouldn't have happened. It was VERY hard.
Neither of us has ever picked another one up.
Sounds like everyone's been busy today!
I have my gkids here tonight, and we are getting ready to make cookie dough. Then tomorrow we will make heart cookies.
Just wanted to stop and say hi to you all! Have a good one!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6135658

Tomorrow morning the paint goes on in the living room so I can move the tank...I just was not up to it today after moving and cleaning all of this furniture by myself, and gathering things up to leave outta here... LOTS of things are out in the box on the porch...All dog beds and blankies hit the washer...I put the blue painters tape up on everything I don't want painted...That was a job in itself...I rearranged wall hangings into their new locations, room wise anyway...will hang them later...I really like this less is more attitude...Some things like the dern Ancestors, I can't do away with, but the rest is history unless I am absolutely in lust with it...

Jim & I had a *Discussion* about Lily today...Either he trains her, or I will...She is completely out of control...She came flying into the living room, dove up on top of the coffee table with all 4 feet and grabbed my hank of yarn to my new needlepoint and hauled can...Next thing I see is her tearing the batting out from the hassock where the skirting is waiting to go on... Next she decided to jump up on said hassock, paws up on my Lacey table to get to my kangaroo fern I just transplanted and jerk the entire thing out of the pot, strewing damp dirt everywhere including the hassock and the new Oriental rug...I was LIVID!!!! Still am...

Now, let me ask you...If I was not here at home to put the Kabosh on her...What do you think I would have come home to from work tonight??

He now has her contained behind a gate in his den...and until I say otherwise, that is where she will stay, or she will be crated...She has already destroyed many things of mine, and when I show or tell HIM he laughs and says she's a brat alright...Sorry charlie...your Brat is now contained...Should have been all along...I tried to tell him...
Boodles and Kira are sick to death of her tearing at their ears and necks...Boo got into her Monday to the point I thought he may have drawn blood, which he didn't, and this boy has not got a mean bone in his body...I told Jim then that he needed to contain her or leash her to him until she learns manners...If Big K gets at her, that will be all she wrote...Chootch despises her, and will rip into her and poor old Pilar runs like hades and jumps up in to a high place to get away from her...

She WAS a sweet little puppy but he has let her go to hades except for potty training, and I think my kids taught her that routine...
Sorry for venting, but I am just flat out po'd tonight about that dern fern... I have had that thing for almost 10 years... AGGGGGG!!!!

I better go get in the shower and take my kids and go to bed...my attitude is not very nice right now...
I did manage to save the fern...but wet dirt on my new rug and that hassock??? We ain't goin there right now...Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!
I am going to be verrrrry quiet and go to bed...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6135876

Aww, Dusty, nothing like a out of control dog. I am surprised that you haven't whipped her into shape before now. Tomorrow will be better.

I haven't done anything physical today, but the mental stuff has whipped me. Taxes and paying a few bills, and working on my laptop, as it decided to not start up correctly. It went back to a time that it was working properly, and wiped out the new antivirus program and the registry restore, so am now downloading the antivirus again, and will go from there.

Lou, I am a long time smoker, and Ky has a bill in the legislature now to increase the taxes on cigarettes and on liquor. This will probably drive the distilleries to another state. You know Ky is famous for tobacco, spirits and horses. Besides smoking and drinking a beer, goes hand in hand, so I am mad as the dickens. Not a big drinker, but when I want a beer, I want a ciggy too, they are gonna make it so expensive that I will not be able to afford it. I have the right to ruin my own life and health, and like you say, I have been exposed to second hand smoke all of my life, and have survived it.

Well, Off my soapbox now, I am gonna check a few other threads and I am off to bed.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6135911

Aw Dusty...I'm so sorry!! I would be mad too...for sure!!
Well the kids are in bed, and the cookie dough is made and in the fridge. They helped to make it. Well Ashley did. She gave me the right measuring cups and spoons. Then she did the flour and leveled it off with a knife. She did a really good job too. No mistakes. I might make a cook out of her yet!
They get up at 6 am for school...so they were pretty tired. I am tired too...so think I may head to bed myself shortly...and I wasn't up that early!
They informed me they weren't allowed any sugar before bedtime...lol. Dawson said it gave him bad dreams! Hmmmmm...I didn't eat any sugar last night...and I had a bad dream! Dave had to shake me and tell me I was ok...someone was beating me up...lol!
Hope I don't have that tonight!
Take care all...and sleep well.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6135942

Jules, hope that you are not coming down with something. To be safe, drink plenty of fluids, and get in bed and rest.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6135992

Non smoker here, too. Bertie, too. Sometimes lately...I wish I DID smoke! But then I know better than to start.

Bertie and I went to exercise class today. 2 hours...I don't know about here, but I'm moving very, very slowly...
BertieL
Franklin, OH

February 14, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6137087

I am sore just a little bit, but the walk we did the day before, made me more sore. I have to get out and find me some stretchy shorts or something. Today looks like it is going to be a dreary and gloomy one. Love to go for a walk but guess I,ll pass. Have a good one.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6137116

Happy Valentines Day!

Well, I sure wish I hadn't started smoking again after quitting for 3 years 12 years ago! Now I don't have any choice, too many respiritory problems. DH said he'll quit with me, though, so it should be a little easier.

Not much going on around here...The previous place we had lined up to move into this weekend fell through when the current renter decided he better stay working here. Got another place lined up for the 23rd. Have to see how that works out for us!

One of DHs friends and his girlfriend came in last weekend and are staying here at the motel too, so we've been cooking and grilling together every evening, which is pretty enjoyable and makes motel living considerably better.

Dusty, your house sounds beautiful!

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6137208

Happy Valentines Day! May cupid hit you all right where it counts most :)

We got 2 inches of snow last night again and I need to get out in it and get some food in this joint.

Hey Jules, feel better! Wassup Marcy-Joyce-Bertie-Sue!!!

Gonna hit the bricks!

Catch y'all later this afternoon.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 14, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6137391

Happy Valentines Day from me too!

Never did have the desire to smoke but hubbie does like a bourbon and water before bed and I don't mind a glass of sweet white wine or a bourbon and coke on occasion. Guess since the tax on that is going up I'll have to savor each drop!

Apparently from what we can find out DS's friend passed from an aneruysm and enlarged heart. Funny thing was, the week before he passed he was at our house helping cut, split and stack wood and no one noticed that he was short of breath nor did he complain of such. Can the heart enlarge immediately as a result of an aneurysm? DS spoke at the memorial service and got to spend some time with the boy's parents. I'm afraid my son has certainly learned a lot of life's lessons since he's gone to school that he never had a clue existed while he was growing up. I'm beginning to think that a relatively normal childhood is considered abnormal thesedays.

I called the insurance company about the greenhouse that blew down during last Weds. winds. They're telling me it may be 2-3 weeks before the adjuster can get out. Of course I now have numerous flats of cabbage and broccoli in my kitchen every night that should be in a GREENHOUSE! And I want to be getting my tomatoes started this weekend and don't have a GREENHOUSE anymore!!! I'm not sure why it seems like everything I set out to so somehow often morphs into this oversized monster that makes my life more difficult than it should be...

Ah well, everyone, hug your loved ones on this V-day!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6137449

Just a quick note to tell you that DMIL passed away early this morning. Keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6137451

Happy Valentine's Day...peeps. :O)

I'm sore, but still functioning. Bill said he could really tell that yesterday was Friday the 13th. He took a tumble carrying some shingles and misjudged a step. He dropped and rolled but pulled a ton of muscles doing so. Then later as he was working on bringing wood in, the first trip he hit his head on the basement thingy, and then the second trip a big log fell off the pile and hit him in the toe...He was really glad when yesterday was over.

Still not sure if the SIL and BIL are going to stay with us for their trip in from Maine, but they said they'd call later to let us know. Wish I knew...cause whatever decision they make, makes an impact on how much I have to clean!!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6137453

Oh Bonnie...so sorry, but know that in its' own way it is a blessing. Hope you are all doing okay. Thoughts and prayers for sure..
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6137516

Bonnie,

I'm really sorry to hear about your MIL. I know it comes with mixed emotions. It's never easy to lose someone and it's hard to hang on to someone that doesn't really have any quality of life left. I don't think any of us chose to live in limbo like she has.

Thoughts and prayers to your families.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6137558

LOL Bonnie i think we agree on something finely LOL why don't they tax banana's , sox or brussel sprouts ? !
Kydaylilylady wow on your the young man . What a shocker. So young too. T&P for you & son and his friends family.
"ouch " Hey Toni tell the cupid not so sharp an arrow next time Sheesh. LOL
msrobin sounds like your having fun with friends. Always a good thing
LOL Marcy my MIL says cheese will give you nightmares if you eat it before bed.
Ky i hope the insurance goes well for you,
Bertie & Joyce way to go on the walking and getting fit . Soar is a good thing. Keep it going ladies, :)
Jules i hope your feeling a bit better ? Thinking of you
well i was going to sign up ds for t-ball but with his breathing and whatever is going on with him, i think i will not get him in sports until we figure it all out. :(
gonna got eat my hot cereal
bbl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6137571

Bonnie im sorry to hear of your family's loss. T&P for you all. and big ((())))))
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6137585

Bonnie... Many thoughts and prayers coming your way...I am so glad she isn't struggling anymore...Big Huggs to you both...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6137591

Good Morning all...37* and started out mighty gloomy, but the sun is finally trying to come out...

It is indeed a wonderful house Robin...I'll take some pics once I get it all put back together...I am loving it more and more since I started thinning down yesterday...;-))

Lily is still in quarantine, and not happy about it at all...Oh well !!!

I almost have the fish tank corner ready to paint...I had to go over one of the holes with another coat of plaster, and it has to dry...so I am working on the trim work while I'm waiting...I don't want to get the roller out till the big wall is ready to go...

Break is over... got a brush calling my name...LOL
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6137593

Feeling better today! Thanks so much for all the well wishes. I do really well, generally, for someone with RSD, but sometimes are worse than others. The last few days have been one of those, and I try hard not to let it show at work, or to my Mom. Guess I let it out a bit to much here. Sorry for the whine. Still not 100%, but, at least not worried about myself. I was beginning to wonder there Thursday night/Friday morning.

I have the printer's PDF of Curt's new catalog now. I need to work on it this weekend, so I can give separate type and photos to some people where he donated plants to auctions at daylily symposiums and also to his new web page designer (Chele!!) Need to do some work on his email too - the printer clogged it up with sending him proofs by email and he has a slow dial up. Since I set up his Mac and accounts, I can generally remotely access them and fix them for him. He's out of town now for a month, so I am hoping I can fix it from here! LOL

Janet - so sorry to hear about DS's friend. I lost a very close friend when he was 28 to a massive heart attack. He was at a nightclub, dancing and just dropped to the floor dead. I can relate to how your DS must feel. It is a "rude awakening" as my Mom would say.

Dusty - I hope you get a handle on Lily. She's in the terrible two's right now, and the perfect time to nip it in the bud. Has Jim watched the Dog Whisperer? His methods might work well with Lily to start with. Once you get her attention, positive reinforcement might work, but right now, she has zero attention. You have the experience, but you have the exact same problem I have ---- inconsistency. My Mom lets any dog we have get away with anything. With my dog obedience training background, I don't...

company just arrived, more later...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6137643

Bonnie, your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure there is a sense of relief along with the sorrow. Hope the family finds comfort in her struggle being over.

Chelle, what is your due date? You may have a spring equinox baby! How cool would that be!

Feeling more human today, mostly just cold symptoms hanging on. Felt like doing a few things yesterday and got some seedlings transplanted.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6137756

Neal, official due date is March 19th. I'm hoping for closer to the 5th. LOL I think this is the first time I've ever been ready to "get it over with". I must be old and cranky. :)

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Jules, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better too! I was worried about you-especially when you said you were leaving work early.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6137865

Good morning everyone! Happy Valentine's day!!
Bonnie, I like the way Chele put it about your DMIL. Prayers for you and your family.
Jules...good to hear you are feeling better...continue to do that.
And you too, Neal!
Well...slow start today. Kinda slept late, and then breakfast, etc...and here we are. So now time to make cookies!! Ashley is looking over my shoulder as I type...lol.
Think we will have to have some lunch in there somewhere.
You all have a great day!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6137997

(((Bonnie))), I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. She is in a better place now, though. Hope your family finds some comfort in that.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6138094

Hi Juli...Glad you are doing better...I was worried about you too...
Living with that kind of pain is unimaginable...

You are very right about Lily...My training background will not tolerate that behavior...Jim is out in the garage lighting the Kerosun and setting up some fans... everything out there is very damp or wet...She is behind the gate in the den, and is howling like a banshee...She is a real back talker...and that's a fact...You know what I mean...When I correct her, she cocks her head to listen to me, and then barks at me...
He sits in there in the den all day either oblivious on the computer or asleep in his recliner, and she has been left to run wild...I had a small nosegay of silk violets in a crystal dish on the end table next to my blue chair...She got up there and got them and had them shredded all over the floor when I got home from wherever I was...That was just one thing...I came home from work one night and she had gone in my room and drug the two silk covered shams to my bed off the bed, and onto the floor...The door stays closed now...The missing Table runner that I finally found, had tassels on either end...Not any more...It was on top of the coffee table folded up, and waiting for me to dust the table and put it on...I came home to tassels shredded all over the floor...

I had those quilts you brought me folded up and on top of the hassock when it was still in the dining room...She jumped up there and pulled all of them down on the floor and was hauling butt with the end of one of them into the kitchen when I came up from the basement...
Last night when she got that fern, I was beyond furious, I was livid...
I had been on her case all day to get out of things, leave things etc...and it almost seemed like the more I was on her, the worse she got...
That's when I told Jim, contain her or crate her, train her, or she will be getting a doghouse outside (which I would never do)...He bought me a pug puppy for a wedding gift, and I have had many pugs of all ages when I was rescuing, and I swear, I have never had one, or any other dog, that is as bad as this one is...just flat out of control...and I'm done...

Okay, my lunch break is over, so back to the paint...

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6138244

Bonnie - I was typing my earlier message when you posted about your DMIL. I am so sorry. (((hugs)))) Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Dusty - Pebbles, my current Aussie was a handful when she was a pup - no, she was a terror - I think because of the inconsistency between my Mom and myself. Finally I had enough. When I was home, I leashed her to me. When I wasn't home - she was crated. Even though Mom was home. It took a couple months - she was about 7-8 months old - but she came around nicely. Mom still has to tell her 5 times to sit - and I only have to tell her once --- but she no longer steals food, or gets into anything. Once she understood that I wasn't going to tolerate bad manners - she figured out what was expected of her. Then, I started letting her have more time out with Mom when I wasn't supervising. By the time she was a year old, she behaved well, and had good manners. Mom had her started off to be very spoiled though, and she could have been a royal pain for 15 years.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 14, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6138257

Bonnie, my condolences to you and yours. If you find yourself in a bind and need something just give us a call. I don't know how to do a lot of things but I know how to throw feed and water in front of horses and dogs...

Hugs to your family..

Jules, glad to hear you're better. When I have a little pain here and a little pain there I sometimes wonder how well I'd cope with something that's constant. I'm hoping I wouldn't be a whiner. Don't know how you do it.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6138516

ATTENTION FOLKS:

Darius wanted you folks to know she is having computer problems and traveling plans, so it may be a week before she is back online.

Bev (her neighbor)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6138538

Bonnie I am so sorry to hear of your MIL's passing. God bless you and your family.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6138791

Forgive me, I busted in here and quickly posted the message for Darius and did not check the previous posts.

Bonnie, So very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6138842

Bonnnie tell the DH we are thinking about him and send our best.
It's been a long road.
At least now you, he and the family can start to heal.

(((HUGS)))
Ric and Robyn
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6139419

Thanks Bev...Tell Darius she will be missed...I am just glad you didn't come in here to post that she had fallen again or worse...

I have 90% of all of the cutting in done around the ceiling, windows and doors and baseboards painted etc...Tomorrow I will do the rolling...
I have decided not to move the fresh tank into the living room, but it still has to be taken down and cleaned and moved out so I can paint behind it and I am going to move it farther toward the living room and away from the dining...I absolutely do not like my desk where it is, so it likely goes back in my corner...There just is no other place it will go...Unless I come up with something off the wall...

Lots of upping and downing on the ladder and the shoulder said it had enough, so I have quit for the day...We have some cubed steaks and mushroom gravy left over, so I am making garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and a pan of biscuits, and that is dinner...Heyyyy, It is better than the grilled cheese sandwiches I threatened...LOL
I think I may either read a bit tonight, or do a little more on my Crewel needlework if my hand holds out...

Jim has done very well working with Lily today...I think HE was the one who needed to be trained... LOL

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6140514

Happy Valentines Day to all my new friends at ORVG.

Sorry to hear about your Mother In Law, Defoecat.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 11:19 PM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6140540

Hey everybody, it has been a busy and hectic day. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. The family is doing well, and frankly they are just relieved that she is not in pain, and struggling for breath.

Visitation will be Monday 1-9 at Sholar's Funeral home in Pleasureville, Ky, with funeral at 2:00 at Tuesday, at Grub Ridge Community church, with burial there at the church.

I will check in from time to time in the next 3 days, but will be preoccupied with what is going on here.

Thanks Janet for the offer of help, but it is all under control, and just appreciate you offer so much.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6141577

good morning everyone
Bonnie T&P for you.
darius hope you get online soon, miss you already. :)
Good to hear Jim is getting little vixen under control. LOL
not much here
today is seed day. Gonna go online and get some seeds. I really have to get down in the basement and rearrange stuff. So i can get my seeds started in a month or two.
Sunny day but chilly
take care
have a great day
sue
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6141811

So sorry to hear about your DMIL Bonnie. My T and P are with you and your family.
Hi everyone...nothing much here. Going to lunch with our DF...Martha and Morris. The kids made them each a cookie yesterday...and I know they will be really tickled...as their gkids are far away!
I have cookie pictures (and kids of course!)...but will have to do them later. Getting ready to leave here shortly.
Hope you all have a great day!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6141836

Well yesterday we finally got that downed limb sawn up.
Today we'll try to get some of the twigs gone! lol!

Also spent the morning putting a new PSU on Robyn's computer and cleaning up the hard drive.
It will go in the FPR when we get it whipped into shape.

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6143142

I am taking another 15 minute, much needed break...I have a huge chunk done on the painting...It will be finished tonight, except maybe behind the Salt tank...The filter is due for a cleaning, and I need to move those hoses to it to paint back there anyway, so I think I will leave that corner till tomorrow...It is really looking good in here now...and I already have my gold mirror hung in the dining room...LOL...I brought in the gold and the roses to do the French thing with the table...looks sharp...even in the mess...The table is covered with my orchids... LOL

I should be able to start getting things put back in order out here tonight and tomorrow...I gave myself till 6PM to finish...What isn't done will get finished up tomorrow...Next week I will get the paint for the hallways, and then I will be done inside...That puts me into March, and that means it's time for SPRING Thinking...Ponds, fountains and plants and seeds and new secret gardens!!! YES!!! Time to play!!

This is the last time I push myself this hard on a project...but I am glad it is about over with...It looks really good, and I am pleased with the color...Took me longer to mix the paint and test it than it has to do the painting...

Hey BRO!!! Does this mean Robyn will finally get online with us???

Okay, back at it ...break is loong over...

Smoke coming your way for tomorrow and Tuesday Bons...hugggggs

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6143228

I'm finally having a down day and am getting ready to do my BIL's and MIL's taxes online. Kinda wish the power would go out, because I don't feel like doing them. LOL

Sorry to hear about your MIL, Bonnie. I know she's been ill for a long time, so the relief she's not suffering is there, but it's still so sad. (((hugs))) to all of you.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6143717

Heyyy GW... Pull the plug on your puter... say it went out...blame Emma or Sara tomorrow...LOL...

I moved the Freshies, and I just finished the refill on their tank... Cleaned the filters, light covers etc...You ever tried to move a 55 gal tank that is full of rocks by yourself ??? I pulled it up on my bar cart and wheeled it in to the living room once I got the base moved...Fish are in their bin with the heater and the airstone...slightly torqued, but they will survive until the temp is right in the tank...I only lost about 8*...Not bad, and I tried to do it fast...If I lost any of these African Chiclids I would not be a very happy person...They are very pretty, and instantly come to the top front of the tank when they see me to be fed...as do the Mollies..

Dining room paint is done...as is all but the corner of the living room by the Salt tank...
My desk has a new permanent home...Odd, but I like it... All of the plants were pulled from the west window sill, and are now in the east one by my desk...Thats it for tonight...This tank was it for me...I am drained...

You all have a wonderful day tomorrow...

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6144252

Well, the taxes are done. Thank goodness! I just have to print everyones' packets out. My MIL owes since she received income as an independent contractor when she cleaned the office. Ugh.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6144335

I hate that independent contractor status.
Had to file that way in 07.
Did you run all the deduction #'s.
If it's her first year you can get away w/ a lot.
Business start up expenses etc...

Well the storm damage is cleaned up mostly.
Still have a couple of big pieces to cut but all the twigs and smaller junk is gone.
Burned the smaller stuff... took 3 wheel barrow loads of firewood to Jon's...

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6144786

I am in lurker mode, have read in between phone calls and visitors, but that is all the news I have. Been here all day, doing laundry, cooking answering the phone, and greeting visitors. Love talking to everybody, in the neighborhood. Shame it takes a death to bring people to your house.

Dusty, slow down, or wait, just as soon as all of this is over, I go into my painting mode, the vaulted ceiling in the family room, plus the walls, and the kitchen and dining room. I painted 1 bedroom and 2 baths last year, so this is the major portion, the rest just gets a good general cleaning.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6144835

I am so sorry you had all of that to do Bro...Too bad you don't have a fireplace of your own, since moving firewood is a PITA now...

I would have loved to have a fire here tonight to sit and heat my sore back...I think also, just to see how well everything works now that I have it all where I want it...I have been fighting this room like crazy in order to keep my easy chair near the fireplace...I mainly wanted to get this desk put where I can enjoy the view...I want to see the bird feeders...I just enjoy them far too much from this huge window, and that has been a real challenge...Done!
I feel really good about the house now...Cookie had it just right for her, and now I have it just right for me...and all it took was a dab of paint... and tossing out a big bunch of things I didn't need anymore...;-))

Sleep tight everyone...Have a wonderful day tomorrow...

(((((((((((((((Bons)))))))))))))))

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6145865

GOOD MORNING
kids have a holiday
then the dentist
then lunch
then taxes yeah a fun filled day ...not
got to jump in the shower
ttyl
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6145914

I'm here...we have relatives in from Maine and Arizona. They're staying at FILs so we've been over there a lot. I have been trying to keep up with you all though.

Hellebores are budding...SPRING is on its' way!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6145924

Morning, awake to more phone calls, each of them involving problems, just as if DH didn't have anything else to do but solve problems today.

I am grouchy, and don't want to rain on everybody's good day, so will be back when I get ungrouchy.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6146129

Bonnie, we're here for you...whine away! My folks had made prearrangement's. DMIL did not. Two brothers making arrangements when they despise each other, was not pretty. Dmail me if you just need somewhere to vent.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6147425

Good Afternoon all...Taking a break for a bit...My shoulder was screaming, so I got the ibuprofen out...I am at a point of no return now, so I have to finish up today...

I hope everyone is having a good day...

Thinking of you all today Bons...Big Huggggs
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6147515

Well we had a day of ups and downs yesterday.

Carly had her tournament game and they won 2nd place. The team they played is undefeated but I think had they been coached better, they had a good chance. This is the same coach they had last year, that has been a friend for the last couple of years and now isn't. She begged Craig to coach with her then treated him like dirt most of the season. After getting computer parts and baby clothes from us, she's decided not to talk to us anymore. Nice, huh?

My eldest didn't go with us and called me in hysterics because three dogs were here, one was in a coop and killing our chickens. Someone stopped to help her and shot the dog in the coop, but not before we lost our silkie roo and his only two females-the third died after the dog. :( That led to three hours of dealing with the dog warden and a self centered neighbor that didn't care about our chickens, only his dogs. We had one in a cage and one chained on the dog cable.

The kids are off school today and tomorrow so we are trying to get some stuff done around here. I have a cold and feel like crud. I can't sleep at night anymore for more than an hour or two. Grrr.

Hugs to all. I know it's an emotional time for many and illnesses for others. Does this mean we are all getting old???
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 16, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6147676

Nah, you're still child bearing age. You ain't old yet!

Spent yesterday picking up wood after DH cut up all the branches in front of the house. Then went up to the daylily patch to tack down all the fabric mat that had blown up during the wind. I hate to do things twice but there were 10 lengths of 150 ft blown around posts, across the field, everywhere. Now being out of shape like I am the backs of my legs are protesting just a little today. I guess it's time to whip the ole bod back in shape. I planted 3 flats of broccoli last night. Now if I can just get some garden dry enough to plow.

If it's possible everybody make the most of a sunny day!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6147710

LOL That is what I told my hubby when we were watching a commercial for insurance. I've given him a hard time for a few years because his birth year was listed. Now mine is...

We have not cleaned up branches. I think the chain saw died after the August clean up. sigh...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6147807

Thank you Janet...How dare Michele say she is old when she is about to hatch another critter and I have GREAT Grands...Gooooood Grief!!

Wait till she really gets old...I hope I live long enough to laugh at her !!! ROFLLLLLLLLLLL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6148355

LOL I'm going to go prop up my fat ankles!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6148498

LOL Chelle fat ankles I don't miss them !
taxes are done but he can't get them to me by friday ? which is what FIL told me cuz he told the tax man that ? hmmm . don't matter. He said monday So that is good . Hope this refi goes through.
((((( Bonnie )))). Funny how the real personalties of family come out when a loved one dies. Sheesh what some of my family did yikes. THinking of you with friendly wishes.
not much else here
Chelle your poor dd . I hope she is ok ?
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6148532

Now wait a minute, when I got off the phone with ya at about 4pm, you were going to go prop up your ankles. Squeezed a few more hours in at the desk, didn't ya? LOL That stinks about the chickens.

When Chele told me about that, it reminded me of an ongoing saga in Worthington. Check this out in the Dispatch:

2/10 story: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/02/10/coopattack.html
2/11 story: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/02/11/chickslay.ART_ART_02-11-09_B1_OQCS80T.html
2/13 commentary: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/02/13/ANN13_ART_02-13-09_B3_EMCTEAD.html

Life in the greater Columbus area 'burbs.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6148571

I think I will join you and prop up my one fat ankle...I am down to the last few inches behind the salt tank in the corner...Ran out of daylight, so I quit...Probably about an hour tomorrow...Ran into a couple issues that I had to repair, so that held me back...but that's okay...

Cookie tried to sneak in here today when she delivered a care package, but I had a towel over the glass on the front door...stuck out my arm and snagged the package and shut the door...I told her she can't see it till it is all done and put back together...LOL

Soup and sandwiches tonight...not up for the cooking routine...

Prayers in the Smoke for you and your Family tomorrow Bons...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6148600

That is a bad situation to have , i hope it works out for them .
To bad neighbors are like that . We moved away from awful neighbors . They had a freak for a nephew that just keeped coming around and calling me at night ? ! i just didn't like that way he looked at my kids either. T said " lets move " he was creepy to the max.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6148720

Crocus and Winter Aconites are blooming here y'all! It has begun...spring really is on the way!!!

Well what I thought was the end of this flu crud was just a change in directions, all upper respiratory stuff for the last couple of days, and worse than I can recall in years! Thankfully, today I didn't need to take anything and I think this time I really am on the mend. It has robbed me of energy, but I was at least able to clean the kitchen, do some laundry, and water the seedlings today, more than I've done in a week! All the head congestion had me feeling extra goofy- I just stared at the computer screen with a Homer Simpson expression, LOL.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6148755

I made spaghetti sauce and rotini pasta for dinner tonight. We've got leftovers aplenty for this week. Aldi has pasta that's only 190 calories a serving and has 4.5 grams of fiber per serving to boot. And it's cheap. Hooray for Aldi Foods! :)

Last night was a triple whammy with a sinus headache/migraine, plus my neck and shoulder hurting. I finally got to sleep after dawn and was zonked until about 3pm. I woke up thinking it might be ten or eleven, but noooo. I never woke up in between, just sawed logs all day, crazy. My head's getting better, so I'm thankful for that!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6148764

Glad the two of you are feeling better. No fun to be sick with spring on the way
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6149089

Well I didnt feel like making sandwiches, so I had steamed shrimp on greens and garlic breadsticks...and that was it...and I am stuffed!!!!

My back and hip are giving me fits, so I am off to a hot shower and rest up for tomorrow...
I absolutely have to finish tomorrow...that is my deadline...The salt on the walls behind the Salt tank held me up today...The paint won't stick if they are not clean, and that is a hard thing to do...If it weren't for the fish tanks, I would have finished Saturday...

Hopefully I can get the wall hangings up tomorrow, and the curtains, and call it done...

Michele...I am really sorry about your chickens...How on earth did that demon get inside your tractor???
Sorry to say, because it sounds cruel, but it is a good thing that one is gone...A stock killer wouldn't last long in farm country...I hope the owner contains the other 2...

You all have a wonderful night...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6149501

Good night everyone
blessings to you all
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6149586

Well, we are finally home from the visitation, from 1-9, wow, I would rather work all day. But she looked so pretty, probably 10 years younger, all the pain gone from her face, and so pretty. Many people there thoughout the afternoon and evening, and so many flowers, and so much food brought.

Neal, or maybe George, I had to chuckle today, cause we haven't gotten one dish of funeral beans!! I have 3 pork loins, 1 bucket of KFC a meatloaf, bread, and 3 cakes. Wow, I am donating them to the dinner tomorrow after the funeral,they have no business in this house.

Dusty,glad that you are getting it about ready to put it back together. I have some painting to do and will probably start on it next week. Need to get it all done before warm weather, cause I am not staying in the house when I can be outside.

Kimberly so sorry that you are not feeling well. Hope that you can get all the issues resolved before spring.

Janet, I think I am gonna start doing some exercises to try to get in shape before gardening season. I don't want to do the aches and pains and then have to work through them the next day in the garden. I need to be road worthy, now!!

Chele, you old, not when you are still bearing children. Can't wait for you to hit the time where the hot flashes are coming on, and you are jumping in the pool to try to cool off. So sorry about the dog/chicken situation. I sure hope that your DD wasn't too traumatized by that.

I am off to bed, funeral tomorrow, and need to be up early, and it will be another long day.
floweringchild
Jamestown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6150316

Bonnie, I just checked in to this forum this morn to read of the loss of your MIL. So sorry. I agree with others that it is mixed emotions when the quality of life is low and now she is at peace. Praying for you and yours.
Judy

Chele, hang in there girl. Let's make sure that little fellow goes full term and maybe beyond in order to get all that strength to help dad deal with all the females...lol..

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6150419

Good morning !!! rise and shine
COCKADOODLE DOOOOOOOO
wakey wakey !!
off to kids school to do the book fair. Like the kids actually get any books "ack" they all get spongebob and goofy books like that grrr.
IMHO LOL :) they hate me . I make them do math too with their money LOL
tyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6152504

Chelle, I forgot to say earlier I hate to hear that about the chickens. Grrr...nothing made me madder when I raised birds! I've always thought myself incapable of killing anything intentionally, but I really thought I could then!

I just came in from sowing the leach field! OMG, it should be covered in Poppies of all colors and kinds! As well as a big assortment of other stuff I mixed together in a coffee can, Cosmos, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, perennial Asters, Ironweed, Cornflowers, Hollyhocks, Plains Coreopsis, Cleome, Calendula, Butterfly Weed, various mixes people have given me and stuff from the Native seed swap. I sowed Lupins in individual spots I randomly walked off throughout the area. That soil is beautiful! Everything should grow beautifully there. Later I think I'll toss in some Zinnias, Marigolds, Morning Glories, and Sunflowers. Its such a huge area of gorgeous, tilled, ready for the seed'n area- I've never had such a thing at my disposal! I'm sure some things will be grazed on by deer, but I'm hoping it will be a wildlife magnet anyway.

...its been quiet here today...Hope everyone is ok,
Hugs,
Neal
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6152709

Neal, you know we want pictures of it in bloom!!! It should be gorgeous. LOu

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6152720

Huh not much action over here today .
where is everyone ?
spent the day at kids school , did the book fair .
ate to much dinner and am now ready for bed LOL
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6153521

I was supposed to work 1-6pm, but my boss asked if I could come in at 10am. It was busy today and I'm pooped. I'm going to head to bed and maybe watch a movie. Catch y'all tomorrow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6153683

Just the sick of winter slow down I'd say.
Not much going on... work... weekends... ad nausium...
Ready to see some flowers in the yard?
I'll have shots here in a day or two...
Yep REAL flowers!
Gotta love those Siberian plants!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6153771

I am checking in a long day here, funeral for DMIL, started early at 9:30, and didn't get home till 6:30 tonight. So my message is short and sweet, heading for bed, on my feet all day, and my feet are killing me.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, and I just realized as I typed this, it will probably be one of the last times I type DMIL. So sad.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6154021

May Creator hold you all in His hands these next few days and weeks as you all readjust Bons...You and DH have been in all of our thoughts as you have had to go through this difficult time...We have prayed for release of pain and ease of passage, and strength for all of you who have had to be there...It is never easy to lose a parent...I believe it also brings up a sense of our own mortality which is a whole nuther thing...

I think I will close this thread on that note and open a new beginning...
Neal says that Spring is on the way...He is my Bluebird, so I believe him...Let's start fresh...

Continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953978/

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 10:24 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America