Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Can you ruin cookies?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 11, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6112633

How do you ruin cookies you don't even need the oven for? You got me. Every single time over the last decade that I've made oatmeal no-bakes they have never been the same. Some are very shiney, some had a full finish (often more firm and perfect, less chewy than the shiney ones). Tonights were gritty, like the sugar crystalized. I've seen so many recipes on this "simple" recipe itself but only one that listed specific times to both mix it and then boil it, most just are vague and either way it doesn't work. Never consistent.

Offered DD who's 2 one tonight and she looks at it on a plate and says, "Is that puke?" AGHHHHHHHH. Granted, it does look like cat spit-up which she's no stranger to, one of our two cats gets sick 'bout once a month and yeah, had to admit, kinda looks like Oatmeal No-Bakes.

I never seem to ruin anything but these. Can ANYONE out there help!?!?!?!?!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 9, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6112653

I can ruin cookies...

sorry.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6113898

:)
leeflea51
Golden, MS
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6113942

I don't know any other way. LOL
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6115242

Friends are great! GF emailed this solution:

No-Bake Cookies
2 c sugar
1/2 c milk
stick of butter (1/2 lb)
1/4 c baking cocoa
1 t vanilla
1/2 peanut butter (crunchy, baby... even if you prefer creamy pb, use crunchy for the cookies)
3 c quick oats

Okay, the problem you're having is with boiling. These cookies are very particular about the boiling. Put a med saucepan on the stove, turn it to med-high (setting 6, 7 could be pushing it). DO NOT VARY FROM THIS SETTING. These cookies are picky about the heat.

Put in your butter first and let it melt about half way. Then put in the sugar, the milk, and then the baking cocoa. Stir, stir, and stir some more. Eventually you will get some bubbles... keep stirring. And soon enough you'll have a rolling boil. Once it starts boiling the entire pan... not a moment before... immediately set your timer for one minute. Stir the whole time. Once the timer goes off, immediately take the pan off the burner. Just turning the burner off isn't good enough- your pan has to immediately be put on a cool burner.

If you take the pan off sooner than one minute, then your cookies will not set... they'll be gooey.
If you take the pan off after one minute, then your cookies will get hard and will taste burnt-ish.

If you cook them on a temperature higher than 6 or 7, then they will get had and will taste burnt-ish.
If you cook them on a temperature lower than 5, then they will take forever to boil and will taste gooey anyways.

It's the boiling part that's the tricky part. After that, put in your vanilla (if you use real vanilla, it will cause the syrup to bubble... imitation vanilla has no effect). I also use more than 1 t vanilla just for kicks and giggles. Then your peanut butter... while you stir it, it will get hotter and more pliable thus easier to stir. And then add your oatmeal. Immediately drop onto a wax sheet (if your wax sheets leave behind an oil coating from the cookies when you lift it up, then use aluminum foil beneath the wax paper).
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6123879

While the above neglected to tell me when to add the pb and oatmeal ROFL these cookies turned out PERFECT!

It is the best instructions for oatmeal no bakes I've ever had.

I first melted my butter on low, stirred in the dry ingredients (minus the oats) then cranked up the heat to a 6. Once at a boil I added the pb and stirred in to melt. After 1 min I moved to the counter and stirred in the oats then scooped out the cookies. They have that perfect matte finish and consistency they require!!!!!!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 11, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6124855

Nice to know someone out there knew how to do it right!! Yee-haaaw... :-)
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6156814

Tir,
In the recipe is says stick of butter and then pound. A single stick of butter is a of a pound. Which is correct, the stick measure or the pound measure?
These cookies sound wonderful.
Thanks,
Mike
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6156827

Mike,

Hi! GOOD catch my friend!!!! Well I didn't even look at the poundage. I just used one stick. And after years of several failed attempts, because if you google this recipe it is very vague and really because it's cooked on the stove and involves sugar the temps and times are crucial I found this version to be the best I have used!

One thing I'm not sure on is how the quick oats vary vs using regular oats. I've had both but since I wanted a no-fail try I followed the recipe though we usually only have the regular oats on hand.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6157628

Tir,
Thanks so much! One stick it is! (:o)
I think I'm going to make these cookies this weekend since the recipe sounds so good. I am also thinking of adding a half cup to a cup of raisins to the recipe since I love oatmeal raisin cookies! I am hoping the addition of raisins won't hurt the recipe! We'll see...
Thanks again,
Mike
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6157982

Let us know!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6675140

I made them again just now and see I didn't note if you should use a thick non-stick pot or if any will do (thin aluminum) but I used a thick non-stick variety and we'll see.

It also made a perfect 2 dozen for me.

And I like the texture of using the quick oats (smaller) vs regular oats in this recipe so maybe that's the reasoning behind calling for them?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America