Botany quiz: Which of these plants would you give your true love?

There are a total of 306 votes:

Amaranthus caudatus
(22 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Catananche caerulea
(16 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Cercis siliquastrum
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Eragrostis spp.
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Ipomoea lobata
(9 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Kalanchoe pinnata
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Mandragora officinarum
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Nigella damascena
(26 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Passiflora foetida
(52 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Rosa spp.
(163 votes, 53%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Good morning! First time I have been first :0)

I'm sticking with the rose. It's my true love's favorite.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This love would love ALL OF THE ABOVE but I went with the traditional Rose.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmpfh! Never did like trick questions. LOL

Happiest of Valentines Days All!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

picked rose, but there are some days that Mandragora comes to mind

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL! I picked rose but enjoyed the trick question.

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I particularly love to get plants rather than cut flowers because I can then grow them and enjoy them again. I picked the rose. It reminds me of beauty, good scents and is long lasting.

Ann

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I had to pick the Passiflora ;)

HENDERSON, NV(Zone 9a)

I would give a passi too, but went with rose for 'botanical reasons' lol...
:D

Thumbnail by fernman23
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I plant my true luvs favorites: petunias and night stock where he can see/smell them from his favorite sitting area in the garden. He has absolutely no interest in plants other than that. For context: he calls 'autumn joy' seedum the cauliflower plant. I am overjoyed that he encourages and enables me in my passion and most importantly, turns the compost ^_^ We can't all be gardeners.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Amaranthus Caudatus (Love Lies Bleeding)

It's where my name comes from ^^..^^

karen

Brookfield, CT

Almost picked the passiflora, but doesn't foetida mean smelly, in a negative sense? I know nigella is love in a mist, but had to go with rose, because roses as a symbol of love, that's just ingrained in our culture. Dave, will you post all the common names?

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Amarantha00 I'm with you.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I thought the question implied a play on words: "true love." A number of the plants had seemingly contradictory names, perhaps interpreted as not being true
Kalanche - Mother in Law Plant/Mexican Love Plant
Mondragora - Devil's Apple/Love Apple

Also, Roses have thorns and there are many beautiful plants that don't. No need to inflict extra pain no matter what the conventions say about Roses.

So I picked Catananche caerulea - Love Plant/Cupid's Dart. Its also xeric so it won't dry up and die when times get tough.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 5b)

Red Roses are so beautiful!!!.....but so are all the rest!!!

My dear DH built this for me years ago in February for a Valentine's gift! I just had to plant red roses under it!!!....nothing else would do!

Thumbnail by grannyh
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

WOW! This is a hard one! I went with Nigella damascena because it the most complex flower in the plant kingdom (at least to me and it's the only flower that has a Eliziabethean collar for sepal) ). But, Amaranthus caudatus and Ipomoea lobata came at close second, mainly because both have VERY unusual flower arrangement.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

granny that is a beautiful labour of love.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you, dahlianut.........he is a sweetie!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

went with the passi, but of course doesn't matter what I choose, hubby is not fond of flowers

(Rosie) Belturbet, Ireland

I'd have to give my other half a bunch of cactus to make him really happy. But then I wouldn't be picking them! I chose nigella because that's MY favorite.

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Nigella for me, because I think "Love in the Mist" could be quite romantic and perhaps quite exciting too!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

none of the above as Palm was not on the list.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I picked passi - hubby would love that. Granny, that is gorgeous! Wow, what a breath stopping picture!

Monroe City, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you!!....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, Granny looks wonderful...... I had to do a double take because I thought it was a greeting card

Houma, LA

I picked passi because one my hubby loves the flowers because they are different and two because of the references to the passion of Christ.

Dorothy

Monroe City, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you everyone...........(DH is just loving this.....haven't seen him preen like this for quite awhile.....you're spoiling him!!!)

london England, United Kingdom

I picked Rose. Love your Rose arch grannyh! your hubby's so romantic, beautiful work!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I chose passiflora (didn't know what the second botanical name was on this passiflora) because I love them..........

Fountaintown, IN(Zone 5b)

Of course, the passion flower refers to the passion of my Savior, JesusChrist.
But I chose passionflower anyway. What is love if it's not HOT!!!

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This is what hubby gave me, the full story is on the hosta board under the thread "Happy Valentine's Day."

Thumbnail by ic_conifers
Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I would not buy a plant as a gift, as a plant requires care & maintenance, (similar to giving a pet as a gift), it automatically imposes an added chore on the recipient. In addition, a Rose bush or Passiflora would be odd gifts in the Northeast in the middle of February, with daytime highs only reaching the mid 30s. With that in mind, a bouquet of cut, long-stemmed Red Roses would be a more appropriate and practical gift in my locale at this time of year.

(Beautiful arbor grannh & quite a lovely bouquet ic_conifers.) ☺

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I voted for the Passiflora. I love these flowers and as long as the plant blooms of he can eat it, my hubby's all for it.
Barb

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I always give plants to everyone I know for any occasion. My sister in law loves it because she knows nothing about growing. She has a giant bromeliad in bloom I gave her for her birthday . I find that people who don't know how to grow love getting beautiful plants..........with a note on watering.

Left 10 african violets at my unmarried son's house last summer and they are still blooming and growing...............

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cercis siliquastrum . . . Judas Tree . . . so the recipient can use it as Judas is claimed by legend to have done??

;-)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Excuse me, Resin..............could you go into further detail?
Thanks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

chose Ipomoea (sp) cuz I love moonflowers(vine) but now I have to go look up that particular Ipomoea - but that's OK cuz I love Plantfiles

Exotic Love Vine
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1317/

This message was edited Feb 16, 2009 3:30 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Excuse me, Resin...could you go into further detail?

Judas Tree is the English name of Cercis siliquastrum. It is named after the old legend that it is the tree on which Judas hanged himself.

Resin

West Warren, MA

A rose with a great scent!!

(Rosie) Belturbet, Ireland

Do you have an ax to grind Resin? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.