AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6113843

I don't grow a lot of vegetables, but I love Spinach, and was wondering if it would grow ok in Central Florida. What variety is best? How best to grow? I'm going to try green beans and maybe a tomato plant or two also..( not had a lot of luck w/ them either, seem to get some kind of worm, or rot on me). I did get peppers to grow and give me nice red peppers tho...
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6127527

Not many of us grow vegetables extensively. Especially people like me - an urban gardener. Have you tried http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/yumyum/all/ to get some help with your question?

I am a flower child, gone wild>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6127566

I know I don't grow a lot either, but I LOVE fresh spinach, I do grow 1 or 2 Tomatoes, and Peppers (I like Red Peppers), and I thought I'd try some Green Beans. Just enough for me...don't need to feed a huge clan.
Oh..I love the pics you post of your gardens...I'm kinda the "Jungle Book" style...yours are neat and tidy...I just can't get my self that organized!!!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6127578

My photos are usually of the gardens I work on (or public gardens). They have to be 'neat' since I get paid to take care of them.

Salvia, public garden>

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6127603

I love Salvia's they comprise the better part of my want list and right now a good bit of my time on ebay looking for unusual ones.
I have lots of room to grow them and love the big unruly ones.
Vines too...
A few annuals, to supplement the butterfly nectar plants, lots of BF host plants and lots of hummer stuff.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6129460

There is a malabar climbing tropical spinach. It has a similar flavor as the regular spinach. It likes heat and grows good in florida.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6129738

Check out these folks for Salvia seed, both perennial and annual>

http://ivygarth.com/images/A1.htm

They are wholesale to the trade - that would be me, since I have a small nursery.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6130311

Wellllllllllllllllll, darn...not fair to send me somewhere that I can't get myself in trouble...
Nice nursery..

angel_tree_baby, thanks for pointing me toward the spinach
Now off to the seed trading forum to look for Malabar Spinach...

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 6:04 PM
Fla_Chick
Citra, FL

February 14, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6136774

I have grown regular old garden variety spinach, the kind that you pick up cheap in the packets at Walmart. Also occassionally get packets from Burpee. All the spinach varieties I have tried have done very very well here. Of course they are a fall/winter/spring grower, and mine has done better in the fall. It does like cool weather; it may be getting too warm for it already.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6139634

Mj, I agree also on the spinach. When mine did well, it was in the fall/winter. They seem to prefer that cold weather, but with the cold we've had here this spring, it wouldn't hurt to try.

It would also be a good time to start your tomatoes. Unless you get some heat tolerant hybrid, most will be done by summer. As far as those worms go? Plant marigolds around your tomatoes.

Last year my son grew some hydroponic tomatoes and he got the worms. Over where I planted my tomatoes in the dirt, with marigolds, no worms.

About the beans, check out your average last frost date and plant according to that.

In Florida, veggie gardening must be done anytime except in the blasting heat of the summer. Everything cooks otherwise.

Dale, you would be appalled with my gardening "techniques". Good thing no one close by gardens. Compared to nature, I am a neat gardener.

Molly

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6139913

I found a Spinach Hybrid from Burpee today at Lowe's that can be harvested in 35 days. Sowed them today so should be able to enjoy before it gets too hots. Also sowed Mesclun Sweet salad mix, Sequoia beans and some Sugar snap peas. I've got tomato and pepper seeds from a trade but was thinking I might be better off w/ them to buy plants.
I've got a ton of marigold seeds sowed and already coming up. We're going to do most of veggies and marigolds in square foot gardens and the beans trellised up one of the pasture fences that none of the animals can get to. (rabbits don't eat beans do they?) We've bought some rabbit fencing too for zinnias and lettuce. Actually, I took an old 250lb capacity fertilizer spreader,( 3 point hitch type I used on my tractor) buried it part way in the ground and we're going to plant some stuff in that too.
So, will be first time to do anything but the occasional tomato and pepper plant...so can have some fresh veggies for spring anyway.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 9:20 PM
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 15, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6140018

Molly,

I am only a neat gardener when I get paid, here is my hobby greenhouse>

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6140152

Dale, you are soooo funny. That's so disgusting. LOLOLOL

MJ, sorry to tell you, rabbits will eat the bean plants and the SS pea plants too. Better put out some "Deer Scram", it works on rabbits too.

Two years ago I put a fabric fence around the veggie garden. It worked for the rabbits, but got the garden started too late and it cooked.

Last year I got it started on time and we had a late freeze, so the rabbits never had a chance to munch, everything was toast.

I'm going backwards, just doing some spinach, tomatoes & bell peppers, maybe with my twenty gauge in hand. Just kidding.

Molly

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6140171

Well, if my beagle would do his job...I wouldn't have to worry about the rabbits!!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America