Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: big, shiny, round leaves with radial vein pattern

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Fruticosa
Midway City, CA

February 9, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6114578

I photographed some ti plants (Cordyline fruticosa) at an apartment complex in Huntington Beach (in Orange County), California this weekend, and I was curious about some unusual plants growing around the ti plants. This is a low plant with large green leaves, maybe 8-10 inches in diameter, mostly rounded leaves, each leaf with a radial vein pattern, they appear to be shiny, and they must be tasty for insects because they are full of holes. Those are begonias on the right. They have mostly tropical landscaping at that complex (ti plants, bamboo, pittosporum, begonias, Ficus, Strelitzia albinae are some of the species I saw there), so I wonder if this plant is some tropical or Hawaiian plant I don't know about.

Thumbnail by Fruticosa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fruticosa
Midway City, CA

February 9, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6114603

Here's a closer view of the leaves. If you look closely, on the left is a stalk with small white flowers emerging from between the big round leaves. I can't be sure those flowers belong to the mystery plant, but I think they do, since they're not ti plant blooms or begonia blooms. The place has partly a Hawaiian theme, with a tiki outside, and Hawaiian music playing in the lobby, and ti plants are from Hawaii, so I think this might be a Hawaiian plant.

Thumbnail by Fruticosa

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6115170

It looks to me like some sort of fancy begonia, but I'm not positive.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

February 9, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6115775

It looks like Begonia nelumbiifolia, the Lily-Pad Begonia.

I grow them, and they are found in gardens in Hawai'i, but they are not Hawaiian plants. Their native range is from Mexico to Columbia.

Actually, none of the plants in the picture are true Hawaiian plants. They may be found in Hawaiian gardens, but are not of Hawaiian Islands origin.

Ti plants that are colorful are cultivars which originate from plants native to the Himalayas and throughout Southeast Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Northern Australia, and into the larger South Pacific Islands.

The Ti Plant that Hawaiians introduced to Hawai'i is the plain green one pictured below.

Aloha, Dave

Thumbnail by Metrosideros

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6116006

metro is right on the name of the begonia. They can get huge if grown in perfect conditions. Here is one at the conservatory at Fairchild Tropical Garden in Miami.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Fruticosa
Midway City, CA

February 10, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6117397

Great work, all! I never would have guessed some kind of begonia: this was so tropical-looking. I will have more respect for begonias from now on.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 10, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6117459

I'm intrigued by those now and would like to get one !
Tanyasgarden
Oakley, CA

February 16, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7564741

I have two plants with an identical leaf...however the flower is a yellow daisy appearing bloom on long spike growing from the base...finally drying and looking like dandilion seed. They are in containers and stand about five feet tall. we divide them at tthe base and they appear similar to tubers...any idieas?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7564750

Sounds like ligularia.

http://www.robsplants.com/images/portrait/LigulariaDentata040821.jpg

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America