Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Picking a garden color scheme: Help with house color!

Communities > Forums > Article: Picking a garden color scheme
bookmark
Forum: Article: Picking a garden color schemeReplies: 5, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
irishdancer82
Monticello, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6114585

Hi Susan,

I was so excited to see this article, because I just started planning for my garden yesterday. We moved into a 1940's stone house in northwest Georgia and I'm having trouble choosing a color scheme that will go with this house. I already have lots of purple bulbs and I was thinking yellow and purple, but I like orange as well. What's your opinion/advice? Thanks!

Kim

Thumbnail by irishdancer82
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6116172

I think orange would work well because of the orange stones in your house. Maybe try some inexpensive annuals this year, and if you like it, invest in more expensive plants later.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6116718

Pretty house!
ga_peach
Jefferson, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6117421

Very pretty! I would stick with the oranges or warm colors too. I say this because your house's stones are in the 'warm' color range so staying with reds, coppers, oranges, and yellows as long as they aren't too 'lemony' would look great. If you went with the 'cool' colors like blue, green, purple then they would tend to clash. Although I did see some photos of warm gardens done in red, orange and yellow with some electric purple like purple heart thrown in to offset it and it looked great. Just my opinion.
My problems is I understand color theory but cannot implement it to save my life. I can pick great pallets but then mess it all up later when I try to actually do it.
lynchl
Harrison, MI

February 14, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6137131

What would you recommend for this redwood sided house that is a warm redish brown. like this pic?

Thumbnail by lynchl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6138174

I love your house Kim, so much character. I will echo what others said and suggest a warm color palette and I think pops of purple would look great. Maybe bright yellows closer to the street and get darker as you go toward the house with a few accent yellows in the bed closest to the house. Let us know how it goes.

Lynch, really neat building too- I would suggest (and this might be a bit different than what other people would suggest) white and lavender to medium purples with a lot of accents of bright chartreuse foliage such as creeping jenny 'Aurea', Scots moss, Margarita sweet potato vine. Depending on whether you've got sun or shade, there are tons of choices for the green. I think a bright limey green would look great next to the red tone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Picking a garden color scheme Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your article leeflea51 0 Feb 9, 2009 9:28 AM
Color Wheels Potagere 8 Feb 14, 2009 7:55 PM
Interesting article Dutchlady1 0 Feb 9, 2009 1:03 PM
Royal Horticulture Color Charts LeslieT 0 Feb 9, 2009 8:03 PM
Picking a garden color scheme beejay37 0 Jun 26, 2010 1:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America