Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: MOSS - It's everywhere, can I help it grow!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
webxwizard
Chocowinity, NC

February 9, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6116638

One side of my yard has alot of moss, can I help it grow and spread so it will cover more area and not look so spotted?
I have pictures on photobucket if you want to see what I have so far, it seems to be comming in better this year since we cleaned the yard last year. http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/webxwizard/
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6116710

I've "helped" mine spread just by watering well and often. I have heard of using organic yougurt or organic buttermilk as a fertilizer for moss.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 10, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6117504

I would think that if you maintained the ideal environment for it, it should do fine. I have that Irish and Scotch moss which do very nicely, until the sun pattern changes, and then it fries, but come fall, it comes back.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 10, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6121357

OH My Lord, I have to rake and re-rake my lawn every year to get rid of the moss, I love it when it covers statues, large rock in the Rockery and in cracks in the garden walls, but in places where you have to walk, or watch it kill the lawn or plants in borders NO, it can become dangerous as when wet, it can become very slippery as it eventually spreads to pavers etc. depending what kind of moss you have ofcourse, moss likes dampish, shady areas as Dale has said, the sun can burn it and can look awful, but it really does return as for the best part of the year,when it is getting the right conditions, I would leave well alone if you want it to spread and let nature play its own part, that way your moss area will look more natural, I sped up the algae effect on bird baths and statues by painting the natural yogurt into them and within a couple of months the green effect had started, but yogurt for pathways etc, I think you will attract other unwelcome creatures who will love it and perhaps want to stay/ bread in your garden un -invited.
Good Luck. WeeNel.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6124937

I'm so glad I stopped in to read this thread! My grandma was born in Chocowinity and my mom was raised there. And I still have a few aunts and cousins who live there. It's really cool to see that name again :)

Anyway, as JuneyBug hinted, buttermilk can be good for encouraging moss to grow. A "recipe" I once saw suggested that you put a few pieces of moss that are making spores (they usually have longish hairs growing upward from the rest of the plant) into a bucket with a quart of buttermilk. Then, you're supposed to vigorously stir or shake the mixture to distribute the spores and then spray or splash the mixture on to the areas you'd like to cover. I guess the reason this method should work is that the buttermilk helps acidify the soil (which the moss likes) and it helps spread the spores around. I've never done it, but what's the harm in trying?
glendon

May 22, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8580482

i have tryed that mossy slury and all it makes is white mold every where u put the dairy product! makes the moss look awful!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America