Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Propagation: Ornamental Sweet Potatoes

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 191, Views: 1,744
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6119482

It's time to get out those OSP tubers. The last couple of years I did a step by step thread on starting Ornamental Sweet Potatoes (OSP). I'm not going to do that again this year, but wanted to remind those of you that have them it's about time to get them out of storage and start. For those of you that have never tried this here are links to both of my older threads that will show you just how to do it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/694728/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/809595/

Those old threads got pretty long so if you have any questions or pictures to share of your own growing plants just put them here. Good luck with your Propagation. Holly
OSP Blackie blooming

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6119494

I have some rooting in water and mason jars in the window. The mother plant isn't looking too good though. ;(
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6119960

I got my osp tubers from the garage last night and found mold all over them. I was afraid they would get too dry and sprayed them with water and wrapped them in a plastic bag (not a good idea). Anyway, I washed them in a 5% solution of water with bleach and dried them. Hopefully, they will survive. Do you have any suggestions for other treatment before I start to root them? I was very disappointed, but hopeful that they will survive.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6121106

Bill, That's what I would have done and they will probably rot once you put them in water, but give it a try I had a few pretty disgusting looking tubers last year that produced starters for me even as they rotted.
Raggedyann, I have cuttings on my window sill that I saved from last year. My tuber harvest was a bit pathetic so I took some cuttings, as well. Good luck to both of you let us know how they are doing. Holly
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6124340

All of mine lived through our "winter" outside! I'll start fertilizing soon.
Luziannagourmet
Hester, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6146058

Do you have Phillipino ube purple sweet potato & old-time Louisiana moist orange-red real sweet potato "yams"?
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6146259

Having grown up in East Texas where they grow a lot of yams I am very familiar with the yams you eat, but the Margaruite osp I grew last year is a very different looking tuber.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6275414

Well, I finally did get out the few tubers I saved from last year. I take a lot of care with my tubers, Not! I have found that benign neglect seems to work very well for me. I knock most of the dirt off them and put them in a brown paper bag as store them on a shelf in a rather warm room. When I get them out in the Spring I put pretty much every thing in water no matter how small and rough looking they are. You would be surprised at what might be a good starter for you.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6275460

I like to lay my tubers on their sides about half submerged. I save a few food containers for this purpose as they tend to be shallow and long. If you look at my tubers you can see that a few of these pathetic ones as well as the nicer ones do have a few small roots showing and even the starters of leaf buds.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6275816

Boy am I jealous! I went to the garden center this weekend and they do not sell the tubers. They only sell the plantlets for $4-$5 per plant. I will have to wait until they come in in May.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6276083

Yesterday I cut the ends off a few plants that I had saved in a rooting jar from last summer. I usually don't try to save plants but I didn't get any potatoes or tubers from the Margarita so I did take a few cuttings and have been keeping them alive in a jar on the windowsill. Here is a picture of the new cuttings (taken yesterday from the old one) in the jar and a rooted section that I harvested one of the cuttings from. I planted the small rooted section today. Looks like I have gotten off to a late but good start.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6276126

Bill, That is what they get around here I have seen them between $3 to $6. Buy a couple this Spring and then next fall harvest and save the potatoes/tubers for next year. I don't really know why but sometimes I get a lot of them and sometimes not. Last year I did not get a lot of potatoes/tubers to save over. If you don't you can also take cuttings and save them in a rooting jar. I haven't bought any plants for about 4 years now as I always seem to have enough to keep me and many of my friends going.
billgrubbs
Kaysville, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6276561

Thanks HolyAnnS I saved my tubers from last year, but put them in a plastic bag and they got fungus on them. Now I know a paper bag is the better option.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6276747

I put away for the winter in brown paper lunch bags. One was fine and the other is rotting. I did not know you could root the vines. Good to know. I'll be taking cuttings this fall to then.

Holly - thank you so much for thread - I have learned so much!
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6279680

try storing wrapped in loose newspaper next winter. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/694728/

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 5:51 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6279759

LOL, That is a link back to my first thread several years ago and I did store them in newspaper. Not so much on purpose as my friend brought it into work wrapped in newspaper and I put them on a shelf and forgot all about them. It worked very well.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6286154

Holly Ann, yours look great. I just went in and pulled up a tri-color and I don't have any tuber but a live root and a lot of sprouts. Just like ones that would have been from a tuber. They are long, about 12 inches. What can I do with them?

Edited for spelling.

Jeanette

This message was edited Mar 18, 2009 10:34 PM
nevrdun
Bloomfield, NM
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6287917

Hi - where did everybody get their OSP tubers? Plants seem to be the only thing I can find.

(I'm a new member and should have joined ages ago!)

Billie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
8:50 AM

Post #6288780

Billie - I bought the plants too last summer. Then about Octoberish - before the hard frost, I dug mine up and put them away for the winter.

Holly - I have 2 nice shoots of plants coming on my Maguarite - do I take both sprouts off and root them and the tuber will put out more, or should I leave one on the tuber and then plant the whole tuber? I guess I am afraid if I take all the sprouts off to root them, that I will kill the tuber.

Thanks
Carolyn
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6289059

Sounds like you are all doing really good.
Jeanette, You said you pulled yours up? Was it still in the ground? In many areas you can leave them in the ground and they will just grow back every year. Do your sprouts look like Tri-color? I have not had good luck with the Tri-color as they don't seem to come true from the potatoes. I have no idea why not? I had a Tri-color (pink,white,green) potato that I got from a friend several years ago and the sprouts I got from it were green with slight reddish tint. Whereas the Margarita and Blackie always come true. If your tuber is planted you can cut the sprout tops off and root the tops make sure you have a couple of leave buds.
Billie, Carolyn is right the only way I know of to get the potatoes or tubers is to grow your own. Buy a few plants this spring and dig them up next fall.
Carolyn, Take a good look at your potato and see if you see where more sprouts are going to come up. Usually you can tell if there are more waiting to come. I usually don't take all the sprouts at one time as once they get started producing sprouts they come up at different times in different spots so they aren't all ready to harvest at the same time. Some potatoes only produce a few starters and others will keep producing more and more. If you don't see more coming I wouldn't take both of them but if you see signs of more to come then go ahead. Gently pull them off and put them in water.
It's only been a couple of days but I already have small roots on the tops I cut from my windowsill plants. If you take cuttings remove the lower leaves by cutting them off the stem. Careful you don't cut the leaf buds that is where the roots will come from.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6289076

Holly - Thank you - I'll look to see if there are more that are eyes ready to sprout.

What I find ironic - and maybe this has nothing to do with it, but the tuber that rotted was a Tricolor. I am going to see if I can find Blackie this year and another Tri-color and see what happens.

One other thing - I have to thank you. I have learned something new here and I have really enjoyed it. I love learning new things with plants!

Carolyn
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6289312

Carolyn: This is a great place to hang out.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6289367

2nd - I definitely agree!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6289868

I have learned so much here at DG, too. It has really expanded my gardening and it is so much fun making friends and learning new things.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6291856

Holly I had it in a pot in my bedroom. I hadn't watered it much so it lost all of its leaves. But the long stems it had with leaves on them look like sprouts and they have a lot of nodes where I think leaves will grow.

The roots looked good because they were down far enough that they did have some moisture. I planted it back into a smaller pot, it had had a petunia in there with it that the aphids just decimated. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and if it seems like it might do something I just might take some of the stems/sprouts off and try rooting them.

I always try a lot of different things. That is what I got the dip-n-gro for I guess.

Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6292066

That sounds like the one in my upstairs room. Last year I gathered a few cuttings at the end of the season, they were kept in a rooting jar of water all winter. A friend gave me a potted Tri-color potato that had been sitting on her window sill for a year, every so often I would water it a bit. All of them have some spider-mite damage and are looking pretty poorly. I have treated them started to water the one upstairs and took some cuttings from the ones in the rooting jar. Surprising how much neglect they can take.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6292848

Jeanette / Holly I had a big problems with what I thought at first were aphids but instead were those gnats. And the ones that get to the flying age, they seem to be drawn to almost any moisture. Especially rotting fruit. and also vinegar. So to help keep the population down I put a couple drops of dish detergent in about three tablespoons of vinegar. and let that set close to the plants. Any gnats I miss while they have no wings, kind of find their way to this new treat. just ad more vinegar when it gets low. - - - They should be more careful of where they land. lol
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6292939

That's weird Russ. So, what does the soap do? Kill them? It must. Whatever works. I didn't realize vinegar attracted them. Interesting.

I found Tapia's recipe got the mites on the sps. But, I discovered it too late for all but one of my Blackies. Have you guys tried it? I think it probably works for almost all of these darned pests.

Jeanette
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
8:37 AM

Post #6293627

Jeanette -

Don't know anything about Tapia's recipes for mites - where would I find that? I would be interested in that recipe.

Carolyn

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
9:42 AM

Post #6293661

I heard soap in red wine will also work... but haven't tried that
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
11:39 AM

Post #6293903

Randbponder, Thanks for that tip. I have those gnats, too and they really bother me. I've never had them before. I took most of my house plants outside last summer and didn't get to property debug them in the fall, plus a few of the new plants I brought home had some bugs. I've been dealing with insects of some kind or other ever since. I used Neem Oil which did a really good job, but I don't think I used it consistently enough to completely get rid of everything so every once in a while I notice some return. I finally broke down and took them outside a few days ago when it was nice out and used a systemic on them. That should kill the few remaining pests.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6295535

Ok you all, here it is: (in case you are interested, Al Tapia has a very interesting commentary in the container forum)

Tapia’s recipe for bug spray

1 pint rubbing alcohol
1 pint very hot water
1 tsp pure, cold-pressed neem oil
3-4 drops Murphy's oil soap

Add neem & soap to hot water & shake well. Add alcohol. Spritz plants thoroughly, covering all surfaces - especially underside of leaves & leaf axils. Be sure to shake vigorously as you use the spritzer to keep the neem mixed with the solution. Works great - the neem oil renders all the insects it contacts unable to complete metamorphosis or reproduce, while the alcohol provides reasonable knock-down for current generations.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6295542

BTW, I used it on my last Blackie, after the mites had killed all the rest, and this mix saved it.

Jeanette
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6295544

Jeanette

does it have any effect on the eggs that have not hatched yet?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6295582

You know Carolyn, I'm not sure. That would be a good question for Al. You can find him on the container forum.

However, I used it a few days later, can't remember how many exactly, and I think I got any new hatches too. I don't think there is enough oil in this mix to hurt using it more than once.

Why don't you take a look at Al's stuff on the container forum and see what he says about it. He initially posted this recipe for use prior to bringing plants inside for the winter, so you might see what he says. In that case I would think it would get eggs. Don't you?

Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6295872

Yes, that is a good recipe. I used much the same without the alcohol. My understanding is the Neem disrupts the life cycle and the alcohol adds an extra punch for initial knock down. You can use the Neem Oil, water and soap mix to drench the plant which takes care of a lot of the eggs. It made a big difference on my plants. I just didn't keep up with the repeat process and never did the drench and still got great results. You want to buy "pure" Neem Oil not a mix with Neem Oil in it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6296019

I bought some concentrated neem oil, but I am afraid of it. I have one cat that eats every leaf that falls from my plants if I don't get to it before she does. Is this housepet friendly?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6296041

Yes, It is,
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6296061

Really! I'll have to take a look at it again!

Thanks
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6296244

Carolyn, I can't see anything in there that would hurt the cat. The oil might make her a nice soft coat. However, I wouldn't make her a salad of it.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6296270

Hey; thanks guys, for this recipe, I just printed it out and saved it too. When I had so many plants and they were all infected, I took them to the kitchen sink. Sprayed them with a weak mix of Dawn dish detergent and warm water. Then rinsed them off with the sprayer nozzle It was a little harsh on the smaller plants but they all survived. And away went the bugs down the drain.
Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6296314

My jug of Neem states that it is Not for medicinal purposes and do not take internally. Probably don't want people just drinking it but people in India use it for all kinds of medical reasons.
http://www.neemfoundation.org/neem-articles/using-neem/tips-on-using-neem.html
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6296571

Holly - that is really surprising. Something tells me though that I don't want it in my eyes...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6296737

I think Holly was pointing out that it won't hurt your cat. I think we would be amazed at the products that we would NEVER take internally but they originally, and probably still are in some areas, were used for many medicinal uses that required oral treatments.

I think it is like anything, if you are uncomfortable with it, don't use it.

Jeanette
Polyacre
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 4b)

April 14, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6409014

Hi all, I am hoping that someone here has some Ornamental Sweet potatoes that they could share? I want to grow my own, just love the looks of the different colors and there are so many to choose from. I tryed to root some from store bought sweet potatoes, as you all know that didnt work.. I don't have much this time of year to trade but can do next month when the snow clears..

Paula
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6410068

I was just telling someone else that I wished someone would do a coop on ornamental sweet potatoes. Anyone interested???

Jeanette
Polyacre
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 4b)

April 14, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6410156

Yes... Yes... Me I am interested!!! I can't even find a place to purchase them
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6410470

WalMart sells them here in June for $2. Nice plants in 4" pots. But that is soooooooo late. I want my stuff all planted and growing by then.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 14, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6410726

Polyacre & Jeanette; I have some Blackies sprouting, I have another but don't remember for sure, I think Sweet Caroline.
I will only have a few. Not sure how many I can get going. I can let you know later.

Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6410913

I don't have any potatoes to spare this year. That dang ground hog did a pretty good job on demolishing most of my SP plants last spring both the ornamental and the ones I got from Russ, for eating. I am getting some starters from what I do have, but I am hosting a swap at my house and don't expect to have more than I can use this year. Not even sure I will have much to hand out at the swap. Last year I had so many more. As far as a Co-op I think your best bet would be to pick up a few plants, usually they sell them with the annuals at most of the big box stores. Then just remember to pull the potatoes next fall and overwinter them for next year.
Russ, Ric and I were down south a couple of weeks ago and had the best SP dish. Whipped with butter rum and cinnamon. Yummy

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 15, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6411545

Buter Rum, good w?cinnamon even better. I still like some fresh ginger cinnamon and butter. Cover the pan and bake till tender, and yup mash or just leave them in quarters and stir them up a bit. A meal in it's self. I'll have to try the butter rum. Thanks.
BTW yours have a head start over mine. I'm just now trying to force mine some. I put them in a planting flat with the clear dome, w/ bottom heat and a damp paper towel. Have to watch pretty close though.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
6:01 AM

Post #6412401

I lost all the ones I had to spider mite. Have any of you had that problem? Little buggers, I didn't even realize they were there 'till it was too late.

Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #6412731

Yes, I'm fighting that battle, too. I just can not seem to get rid of all of them. I treated with neem oil and then just 2 days ago systemic spray. Keeping knocking those mites down but just can't seem to get rid of them entirely. This just hasn't been my year for producing OSP, first that dang GH and then the spider mites. This one is a bit odd looking, you never know what will be a good producer of starters and this long skinny root is putting out a nice set of starters.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6558236

Holly, I just wanted to thank you for all this new information. I knew about saving the tubers, but I just pot them up every March ... which I forgot to do this spring. The tubers increase by 2 or 3 each year, they kind of break apart. I like your way of propagating better. :o)
I did go out and buy 2 blackies, couldn't do without them. But I will experiment with your ideas next Feb/March ... writing it down in my Garden book right now.

I planted by blackies with Diamond Frost, Amethest Heuchera, and pink petunias. I hope this combo ends up working.

Can you explain to me how to tag a thread or a post? I would love to come back to this thread and read through it again next Feb.
Thanks,
sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
6:18 AM

Post #6558878

Holly, see how the leaves look bleached out? Some of them? That is the way mine started and the next thing I knew, the plant had succumbed to the mites. Dirty little devils, I just don't know the answer. I had pretty good luck a few years ago with the systemic in the rose 3 way on the brugs. But then I bought the straight systemic because I wanted to control the fertilizer myself and haven't had very good luck with it.

I do have a Margarita going pretty good. WalMart should be getting theirs in in a couple of weeks. Normally $2 for pretty good plants in the 4 incher pots.

They are 40 miles away so I can't just jump in the car and run over there at the drop of a hat. But, I do hope to get over there this week. So will see if they have them yet.

Jeanette

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6559106

sharon, Good luck next fall with your OSP. Not sure about tagging the threads I just leave them in my watched thread and go there to look for them.
Jeanette, Yes, those nasty spider mites really gave me trouble this year. I have neemed them and used a systemic spray. But I can't seem to get them all. I probably just need to be a little more consistent with my neem spraying. I had put most of my house plants outside last summer and last winter was the worst case of spider mites I have ever had. I put a lot of them back out this summer again as they did so nicely out there, but this year I will be a bit more vigilant and hopefully I won't have the same issues again. I did get enough OSP cleaned up and saved for my boxes and maybe 15 or so plants to share at the swap yesterday. I hosted a DG Swap and we had such a good time. One of the DG Members brought me this OSP as a hostess gift. It's different than my Blackies I think it may be Ace of Spades? But I will look around and find out hopefully it will produce some nice potatoes for me to propagate next year.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #6559110

Forgot the pic. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6559148

Holly, Since I had some time this morning, I went searching Dave's for how to tag a page. Took a while, mostly distracted by other interesting subjects, but I finally found it. Each thread, post, picture has a small yellow envelope in the upper right hand corner. Click on it, put in your title for the tagged page, then save. You can find your tagged pages by going to 'My Tools', which it at the top of all your pages.

You have been TAGGED !

LOL,
sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6560008

That is a very pretty osp Holly. I had done of them last summer but lost it to SMs over the winter. They and brugs are magnets for SMs and aphids. At least with the aphids you can get rid of them with a hose in the summer but kind of hard to do in the winter.

Have you tried things like the ladybugs, lacewings, or praying mantis? I bought a praying mantis egg case several weeks ago but I don't think it has hatched yet. The weather has been too cold. Will be interesting.

I will try the tagging too Sharon. Thanks, Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6561241

Holly; That looks just like the Ace of Spades I had. I wasn't able to save it though as it just didn't produce any tubers. I didn't have it in full sun. ( My fault ).
I did like the blackies better though, so I wasn't worried much.
But now with our RU over, I think I will get some new ones, as I seem to have lost all of them.
Back to the drawing board.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6561284

Hey Russ, are you back from the RU? How was it? Did it wear you out? How long was the drive? Hope you had a good time.

Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6561546

Ric and I hosted our Mid-Atlantic Round Up yesterday. We had a wonderful time must have been 40 people and hundreds of plants.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6561696

The drive was only like an hour and a half. And we did have a great time. I did get worn out, I had to forgo the Friday night festivities. For some reason I wound up getting upset stomach and embarrassing myself. but everybody understood. So Barb and I went to the motel early. and I got some much needed rest. Sat, was much better.
We had a lot of fun. and we just couldn't help it, we brought back a bunch of plants that we didn't have before. Now we just have to figure out how to arrange them in the yard. So it looks sort of planed.
I think one of the things that affected me was the double vision. I didn't get a headache but that may have been cause I took a pain pill so I wouldn't get a bad headache. But I do notice straining to see better. We both took a nap after getting home, I got around 2 hrs, then got up and started unloading plants from the pickup. I still have some things to unload but I am going to wait for a little help. Besides I don't really have a place ready to setup this newer computer yet.
I also think I will be going to bed early tonight.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6562041

Glad you had a good time. Your vision and headaches will work themselves out. I started to say "would get better", but didn't think that would sound good on the headaches. Take it easy, as long as the plants are in the shade and not enclosed in anything they will be fine.

Jeanette
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6619683

Hi everyone, I just noticed this thread and saw Holly was showing off her new Ace of Spades. I had overwintered the mother plant in the same pot (window box) I had it growing in, this spring I trimmed it up and started the cuttings with rooting hormone and moist potting mix. The mother plant is still growing in the window box and is now outside on the deck railing. I don't know if it has grown a tuber as I don't want to go poking around in a perfectly good looking combo window box.
Note: my other OSP in the basement was hit by SM and I also had an bloom of fungus gnats. They have struggled all winter. I did manage to pull a few through to start fresh this growing season.
Hopeing for a better year.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6621400

LadyG, My Ace of Spades is doing just great. I planted it in my deck box and it has weathered all these nasty storms we have been having. As it grows I will take a few cuttings and next fall when I pull it out of the deck box we will see if there are any potatoes to be had.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6621462

I wasn't going to say anything but wanted to say hi.
I didn't fare so well. I lost, all my OSPs this last winter. What few tubers looked like they could sprout, only rotted. Then I tried to buy a couple. but all they had were those in a hanging basket with other flowers. I guess I will just be happy with regular sweet potatoes this year. It is a little late to try find any and get them to grow now. Oh they would grow but not produce any potatoes.
I will just have to try next year.

Wishing you Good luck on yours.
Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6621645

Russ, It seems that it has been a bad year for all of us. Keep your eyes open maybe a friend or neighbor has some that you could get a few cuttings from or even check for potatoes in the fall. I remember someone getting starter potatoes when she had asked a local restaurant if she could go thru their patio boxes when they took them down for the winter.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6621952

Holly, she is really looking good.
I wonder if all the SM and other buggies had the instinct that it was going to be a bad winter and moved indoors.
Can't come up with the rotting problem. Hummmm
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6623210

I thought about checking with a town 10 miles north of here last fall as they had big cement tiles / planters, with assorted plants and of course an OSP in each of them. However the plants were pulled in the fall before I got around to check.
I have to admit I was tempted to take a cutting. But I just couldn't do it. Even though the vines trailed all the way down to the side walk. lol
They don't have any flowers this year.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6623509

Russ that reminds me of a couple of years ago I had some trailing nasturtiums seeds in my pocket when we stopped at the post office to get the mail. I got out of the car and stuck one of the seeds in with the rest of the plants. Several weeks later I was sitting in the car and a young man about 15 or so years old was walking by and he saw the nasturtiums blooming, leaned down and picked one of the flowers. I was so pleased to see that he appreciated them, maybe to take to his mom or girlfriend.

Yes, they were trailing clear down the sidewalk to the side of the building several feet away.

Jeanette

This message was edited May 31, 2009 3:49 PM
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6624366

Jeanette; just last year I planted three regular sweet potatoes in the half whiskey barrel in front of our little coffee shop. it had been planted by our local garden club. Only one member complained about it but everyone else thought it looked better than the rest of the pots. The SPs stayed; end of story. lol
I have several regular sweet potatoes left, I may just do it again. heh heh heh
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #6625029

Are you feeling like Johnny Appleseed Russ? LOL, me too.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6626453

Jeanette; I guess I should just say, I was just being funny.
Gary liked the SPs there and that was part of the reasoning behind it.
But it did get a few more people interested in Sweet potatoes..
I was out a while this morning pulling weeds from the beets, while watering my sweet potato patch. We aren't getting enough rain to give anything a good start. Last year we had a hard time to get stuff in because of the rain and cold spring.
Oh well resting now, don't want to over do and upset my better half.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #6629657

Better listen to her Russ!! Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6630624

Boy Russ, we have had nothing but rain. Can't hardly get into the garden to work as everything is constantly wet. We get 2 or 3 days of dry and then torrential downpours for days. Once it stops you have to rush around and try to do everything before it starts again. Ric has been mowing and bagging the yard with the push mower as the grass is growing so fast and the ground is so wet that he doesn't want to use the riding mower.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6631725

Gotta say, after it has been so cold here it finally the last couple weeks of May turned nice. Mid 70s to mid 80s. Just right. Finally got past our worry of frost. I think. Just got tomatoes planted. Some already have little toms on them. So, hopefully they aren't too far behind.

I bought a Blackie SP but the price is up to $3 for a 4 inch pot this year. I haven't seen Walmart's. Not sure if they have them in.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6632866

Jeanette; earlier I saw some at Lowes. They were $4.96 for the 4" pot.
Wal-Mart didn't seem to have any, whenever I was in town.
Even at nearly $5.00, they didn't last very long. I guess that can be an indication as to what they will charge next year.
I will do everything I can, to get and save some tubers, for next year!!!
Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6633319

In our area they can go anywhere from $3 to $6 in a 4 inch pot. I just don't understand why something that easy to propagate cost that much to buy. I too am hoping for a more productive year.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6645969

Holly; thank you so much, The OSPs came today. We were just coming back from down town and I saw the mail carrier coming down the hill.
So I met her at the mail box an she said is this what you were waiting for.
LOL
I got those little gems unwrapped and checked out. They are looking great.
It is so dry here, I am wondering if I shouldn't put them in a small pot first. That is at least until we get a decent rain.
I have two big livestock mineral tubs to plant them in but I still am camouflaging them. Just trying to make them look fancier. :>)
I would like them to be on the patio, where they can get all the attention I can give them. Many thanks"again"
Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6646473

My pleasure Russ, The roots are very small still, you might want to put them in pots first. I do get potatoes from my OSP that are in patio pots. I even get some from my deck boxes and they aren't very deep.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6646665

There are enough, that I can try a window box. The trick would be for me to keep them watered.
I don't remember, for sure, did you say that you fertilize yours?
I have usually always just planted in the ground, where I had mulched good for some previous plants. So I'm not quite sure about in a planter.
Guess I better do some checking.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6646762

I'm not good about fertilizing really should do more of that and quite often careless about watering. So Ric has helped me in those areas. He makes me a nice lightweight potting mix with slow release fertilizer and those water crystals. My pots and boxes are much nicer since he started doing that.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6646876

Aha! Point well taken. I have a small cardboard can of soil moist.
I will be sure to add some. I will also add some fertilizer. Maybe our patio will look like a jungle, he he.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6647755

Holly, are both the water crystals and the slow release fertilizer dry that he mixes? I have read where so many people had the crystals push the plants right out of the pots because they got too many in them.

So, a friend told me to put them in water first and then just add a small handful, depending on the size of the pot, to the soil when you plant the plants. It seems to have helped a lot. So, I have been sprinkling the SR fertilizer in with it.

I found the OSPs today at a nursery, only 2 kinds Margarite and Blackie, for $2.69 each, but buy 2 and get one free. That would make them $1.79 each. Best yet. And, very nice plants. I suppose I should have bought some for mother plants. But I have enough to do.

Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6647931

No the crystals are dry when we put them in. It takes very little and you will find directions on the container. Mine says 1 tsp for 8" pot. Ric mixes my soil up using a 5 gal bucket as a measure and puts 2 Tbsp. for each 5 gal bucket of Pro Mix. They aren't cheap but will last quite a long time. I bought a good size bag two years ago from a DG Co-op much better price than what I bought at the local store. Right now I do have crystals pushing out of the dirt. Not pushing plants out just the crystals coming up as we have had so very much rain. Once it stops I will mix them back down in. I have never had plants pushed out they may have just used too many. I haven't seen the crystals come up often either. I use the same mix on almost all my container plants and have for several years now. It has probably saved me a few plants worth the investment.
At the end of the season I let the containers dry out and then put all the soil into large trash cans to keep over winter and reused it in the spring for starting plants. When the cans are empty Ric mixes me up new batches of soil I fill the pots and boxes. What is left over goes into one of the cans and sits next to my potting bench. If there is any left in the cans at the end of the season I use it on house plants when I re-pot in the fall. Then dump the old containers into the can and start over again. The whole process seems to work pretty well. I don't feel like I am wasting a lot of money on potting soil and I always have some on hand.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6648106

Sounds great to me. Depending on what I was wanting to pot up, could make a difference. But for the most part I had been dumping mine in the veggie garden. Helps on a very small scale toward amending the garden soil. But I like the idea of reusing the potting soil. It isn't cheap by any means. So now I need another container. lol
Jeanette; sure wish they would have a sale like that here. I plan on going in tomorrow, I'll have to check around again.
Oh and I just figured out how to get around my double vision problem. I just prop my glasses up higher on my nose and the bifocals are up in my straight line vision. Where I don't have that problem. I'm going to talk to my eye Dr. and see what he says about just making me a pair of reading glasses, while I wait to see if the swelling will go down.
I know it sure helps reading the screen on the old computer.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6648220

I have a separate much smaller container with what I call cactus dirt. A mix of sand, grit and soil. If I want dirt for the water plants I go down to the garden and grab a bucket of the native red clay. Some of my leftovers can end up in the garden or some odd bed but not much.
I would think double vision would be very hard to deal with. Hope you get that strengthened out, soon.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6648473

Been wearing a patch to try read but that is very trying and causes headache rather quickly. and there is no depth perception, either.
But this seems to help. I'll just have to wait till next week and see if I can catch him.
I'll just have to hold everything up to my straight line vision. as when I look down is when it gets worse.
I just have to be thankful I am this well off.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6648798

I do the same thing pretty much Holly Ann. I just don't use that soil/mix for any edibles. I don't think I have anything in there that would hurt, but I don't take the chance either. I have systemic that I have to use for mites once in a while and don't want that in my tomatoes etc.

But, it seems I still end up buying more potting soil every year. I mix the pro-mix with the other stuff because it seems too light and the other too dense. So that mix comes out pretty good.

Russ, it has been quite a while since your accident. How long did they give you to have that vision problem straightened out? I can't remember.

Yes, that was a good buy, but they only had the 2 different OSPs. I would have liked to have some Ace of Spades, isn't that the plain oval black one? And the other light green and the tri-color.
toofewanimals
Trenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #6648995

I reuse my potting soil for several years, mixing it with my compost, Lowes cow manure or humus, spagnum moss and slow release fertilizer, whatever I have on hand at the time. After 3 or 4 years I take all the 'old' potting soil and mix it in the garden. I've only been gardening seriously for about 8 years now, so have only 'dumped' twice. But Jeanette, I'm like you, I still manage to buy a new bag every year. Last year a lot of my neighbors put their hanging baskets out in the trash on the same trash day. I made the rounds and got a ton more potting soil. So I had to buy more of the cow manure, etc. from Lowes this spring. I love it when they have their half off for ripped bags.

Several years ago Franks Nursury went out of business and I managed to get a huge bottle of the water crystals. I still have a ton left and I believe it will be good forever in the dry form. I mix a small amount in my pots at the spot where the roots of the plant would be, I never have the crystals in the top 2 inches of soil. That way I rarely have the crystals coming out of the top. And I've never had them push a plant out of the soil.

Holly, I like the idea of having the container of 'cactus soil' on hand. What do you use to make it?
I'd like to use it for my Amaryllis and Cliva. They seem to do well in the store bought cactus soil.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6649375

Jeanette, the vision thing came on after the second surgery, on the lower eye socket bone structure. It apparently is the result of scar tissue restricting the lower eye muscle's movement. They didn't give me any time line. They did however think it should have been long enough. The Opthmoligist I went to in Omaha, wants to give it another 2 months. Then do some surgery on the other eye's muscle to try make a closer match in up and down movement.
The old mechanic in me would say fix what is broken. In other words, do something about the scar tissue around my right eye.
As far as I know the two light green ones are the Margarite and the Sweet Caroline lite green. There is also a Sweet Caroline Purple. Both have the same cut of leaves. and yes the Ace of Spades is a heart shape or regular shaped leaf. Which ever would be the best description of it. And of course very dark, nearly black.
I haven't had much luck with the tricolor. I'm not sure why but they just didn't fill in the spot I had for them. and of course, I wasn't able to come back the same, with the new sprouts.

Woo- Hoo ~ The garden is wet this morning. I will have to check the rain gage, to see if it was really enough to settle the dust. lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6650095

Russ, I know what you mean. Just fix it. That's me too. Guess that is why I have had so many surgeries. Because that is what I always told them. To just fix it.

I'm going over to Wal Mart this morning and see if maybe they have their stuff in by now and hopefully not all sold out. Would love to get some more of the OSPs.

So now Russ, do you think you will have enough with the starts that Holly sent you? I mean like enough to supply us all with starts next spring? LOL

Jeanette

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6650757

I could always hope. I love to start those little guys and get them to root.
You can do that when it is too nasty to be out in the garden.
Actually I would like to start enough to at least supply some with all my trades and swaps and other friends. Not in a real big way but just a few hundred a year.

I checked the rain gauge, " wow" 1". That was great! Now we are only behind by about 5"s for this date. I know everything in the garden looks better than it did yesterday. I have some stuff that never sprouted, or if it did the sprout dried up before it broke surface.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6650775

I could always hope. I love to start those little guys and get them to root.
You can do that when it is too nasty to be out in the garden.
Actually I would like to start enough to at least supply some with all my trades and swaps and other friends. Not in a real big way but just a few hundred a year.
Now how many did you want. LOL
Holly Now those were mostly Margarites right??
You know after 6 Margaritas, you could feel pretty good. :>)

I checked the rain gauge, " wow" 1". That was great! Now we are only behind by about 5"s for this date. I know everything in the garden looks better than it did yesterday. I have some stuff that never sprouted, or if it did the sprout dried up before it broke surface.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6651869

Russ, Good luck with the vision. Yep they were Margaritas, LOL I did have a mango rum Margarita just the other evening when we were out for Mexican and WOW was that good. I haven't had any Tri-color OSP. Didn't buy any, had a friend give me her potatoes that grew from her Tri-colors but they don't come true. Not sure why they don't but that has been my experience. Last year another DG member gave me one that she had on a windowsill for years and those nasty Spider mites did it in so I didn't get any cutting from that.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 7, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6652146

I have found something that seems to work, for now. I bought a pair of reading glasses, close to my prescription bifocals. But not quite. I put them over my regular lenses. As long as I am not looking down, I don't see double and can read and see the computer screen just great.
So I think I will persuade my regular optometrist, to have a pair of reading glasses made, and I will just bob my head up and down, to do my reading.

Hopefully some healing will take place and allow a little more movement of that eye, upward.
If I can avoid another surgery, I'll be happy. Or at least prolong it and maybe remove one of the steel plates, after the bone nits together.
Time may tell.

I haven't had a problem with spider mites but I have usually had an infestation of fungus gnats, I first thought they were aphids, until I saw some develop wings. I have been spraying them with a mild soap spray. It works pretty good on the adults. I also started putting a small dish of a little vinegar with a couple drops of dish detergent mixed in. They seem to be attracted to it and the little bit of soap don't let them take off again, so there they lay submerged in their demise. lol
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6700818

Yea- - -We have rain! In the past 2 weeks we have an accumulated 3-1/2"s.
every thing is looking better. That is what survived the dry spell. We are still around 4"s short on rainfall but I think this has saved us. I don't mind a bit about our lawn getting kind of tall.
Holly your SPs look great, as soon as the ground allows I will have them planted.
Thank you again.
Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6701329

My pleasure Russ, Congrats on the rain! :} Do you think maybe I could send some of mine out your way? It is raining "again" in our area. Our water levels were a bit low going into spring but not any more.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6702441

Holly; I will have to admit, that when the rain was either going South of here or North, we sometimes were on the verge of saying Why Lord, why not here.
The Eastern part of the state was getting rain.
But no I'm not going to question The Lord. He has everything all under control. It is us people that mess things up. And I point a big finger at the government too.
They built a weather control machine and had to try it out. Not just the US either, Russia and China have them too. It may be a while before it all balances out again. That is IF they don't do any more tests, in the near future. Global warming Ha.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6703098

LOL, It's all a conspiracy ;}
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6706485

You all could have had what we did. On Tuesday we had thunder and lightning all day long but not a drop of moisture. On Wednesday we had a little bit of the T&L and the heavens opened up. Rain and hail we haven't seen in years. The brugs are shredded. Hanging like ribbons. Now today it is starting with the old sunshine.

Guess it's time to fertilize.

Jeanette
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6708356

We were lucky, big storms ran through our area but the hail (it was big) was just a bit southeast of us.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 19, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6708806

We got another 1 - 1/2", last night. I slept through all the T&L. Barb said the house shook with the wind and the rain hammered the siding so hard it sounded like hail.
It started up again at 6:30 this morning. I woke up for that. It was coming down so hard, the garden looked like a lake, Needless to say the weeds are doing fine.
I may have to wade the mud and clean out 3 or 4 rows of corn. The weeds are the tall ones and the short stuff is corn. might have to keep reminding myself, while I am busy pulling the weeds. Gary was supposed to be doing that.
We'll see what happens next year, when I decide not to put so much stuff in.
I wish everybody well.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6711859

Russ, doesn't sound like Gary is very reliable, or maybe lazy? Appreciates all the produce you take in tho right?

My daughter and SIL were here this week and helped out in the yard. That was nice 'cause I don't feel well. Monday I went in to the clinic and had a tick removed from my neck. Don't know if it is from that or when I had my foot operated on a couple of weeks ago the surgeon gave me a prescription for oxycontin and it made me kind of sick too. I quit taking it. So between the 2 of them I'm not sure why I feel so punky.

Hope you feel good enough to go out and pull those weeds Russ. Remember, the tall ones are weeds and the short stuff is corn!!

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 19, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #6712219

:>)
Sorry your not quite up to par.
Keep a check on that tick wound, don't want any lime disease.
I too had a reaction to the pain pills that were prescribed. ( percocet ) the generic Endocet. It really upset my stomach. I would upchuck. Nuff said.
Many times what the Dr. prescribes don't agree with a person.
Get well quick.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009

Post #7121789

Holly Ann, I have been thinning my one plant of Blackie and some on Margarite the last month or so, so I now have a half a dozen. Don't know if they will make it thru the winter since mites hit so fast and you don't know until it is too late.

I made up a batch of Tapia's insecticide to use and sprayed them today. I am sure they won't have tubers this winter, I have them in 6" pots. It will be interesting to see if I can winter them over.

Just thought you might be interested.

Jeanette

This message was edited Sep 30, 2009 6:11 PM
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7121912

Jeanette, I think Holly is on vacation right now. She started me on OSP propagation about 2 years ago. I had the great pleasure of swapping different OSP vines with her this spring at the plant swap she hosted. "What Fun!" we each had an OSP vine that the other did not.

I know about the mites, I was hit by them last spring with the ones I was overwintering in the basement. My Mother plants were almost goners but I hung on to them and placed them out side when the weather got better, they came back looking as lovely as ever. So don't give up on them. Mine had no leaves, but there was still life in the stems.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7121997

Which ones are you guys growing??
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #7122192

I am starting to loose track, but Ace of Spades, Marguerite, Blackie and Bewitched. No luck with Tri-color overwintering.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7122258

Tri color is one I was growing so good last year is one of the ones the mites took out first. Because of it's colors you kind of miss the damage of the mites until it is too late.

What is Bewitched? Don't recognize that one. What do you have your plants in? pots? I am rooting these in the polymer crystals. It works real well because they hold the plants up in place and furnish water when it gets low too.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #7122290

Tri-color got hit first for me too.

Bewitched is the black but the leaves are Spade shaped not lobeled like blackie. There are pictures in plant files.

I start my cuttings in potting soil or seed starting mix, depands on what I have on hand in the winter I use small 3 to 4 inch pots for cuttings. I always use rooting hormone. If my plants are in small pots for the summer I just bring them in and take cuttings later. If they are in very large pots I'll take cuttings and dig out the tubers and store them, that way if I lose the cuttings I'll have the tubers to fall back on.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #7122350

Sounds like a plan. It is getting pretty cold here so I will be bringing my mother plant in one of these days but I will either douse it good with the mix or give it a systemic.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #7122650

Jnette I had some coleus root in polymer gels as well... I had received a very large cutting order from NC farms.. when the order came in I was not sure how to hydrate the coleus cuttings that were only an inch tall... so I stuck them all in the gels to keep them upright and get those tiny stems in water... when I was getting near the end I got tired of putting them in soil ... and most of them that were left rooted
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7125335

Yes, they work pretty good. When my daughter was here while back she took some of my crystals home to put in with her brugs when she prunes them to bring them in for the winter. To root them. I wonder if she has done it yet and how it is working. I will have to ask her.

That is the best use I have found for them. I did use them in my hanging baskets of fuchsias and they must have done pretty good 'cause I don't think they dried out at all like they normally do once in a while.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7144278

Hi guys, We have a rainy day here so I stopped in at the local library to check in.
Jnette, This is a great time to bump up the thread as in many areas it will be just the right time pull those potatoes that have been hopefully growing all summer. So anyone that hasn't done so before start digging up those OSP and look for potatoes to save for next years plants.
I have had no luck with the Tri-color and didn't plant any this year, I'll have to try those again next year. When I get back I'll be pulling my OSP to see how many potatoes I have to overwinter.
LadyG gave me an Ace of Spades and I am hoping for some potatoes from that plant.
I was a bit disappointed with my Blackies this year. They weren't as dark as they have been in the past. Not sure if it was the location I have them in a pot that gets serious sun for most of the day. Some of the leaves are pretty dark but a lot of them are more of a dark green than the black I'm use too.
Now that you mention mites I hadn't noticed any but maybe that was why my blackies looked so washed out recently. Although the plant looked fine at the time if just might not have started to wilt and brown yet. My DIL did mention that a couple of pots looked a bit wilted and I thought it was just end of the season and a bit chilly but those pots she mentioned have the Blackie OSP in them. I've used those crystals to root a few plants from time to time and we use it in all our window boxes and pots. I have a few cuttings from a smoke bush and boogie in oasis foam right now I guess we will see how that is doing when we get back.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #7144377

Holly, I'm puttin' my money on mites on your plants. That is exactly what they do and before you know what hit you the plant can;t be saved. I am picking one day out of the week and going to spray them with Al Tapia's concoction for killing bugs. Maybe for 3 or 4 weeks and then let up on them. Every week could be a little extreme. I could then do it once a month or so. Right now I have a half a dozen plants in the house in 6" pots. Problem is, I don't have enough places to put them so they aren't together. They pass those mites around.

It has frozen pretty hard here and caught us by surprise so I might have lost the mother plants Might still be able to get potatoes from them if there are any. All I had were the Blackie and Marguerete. sic Doing that today.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 8, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7146529

Well a hard frost caught me off guard too. Now all my SPs are black.
I had dug 3/4 of the ones for eating. I hope I have even little taders under the OSPs.
My regular SPs didn't do very well. I think the weeds took the lions share of the available moisture. I got very few large ones and the number per hill was way down too.
If I stay away from anything that might jump up and hit me in the head again, I might have better luck next summer.
Got to go see the Doc tomorrow. Get the stitches out, from the surgery 2 weeks ago. Had to have a nerve deadened, that was giving me some pain. He also filled in a place from my eyebrow up about 2 inches. A nurse asked me what he used to fill it in.
Without cracking a smile, I said bubble gum. LOL
I won't get to the OSPs until afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #7146851

Hey Russ, sounds like you have had a so so year with your garden. But with all of your medical problems this year I would say you did pretty darned good. Also, the weather didn't cooperate for any of us. So all in all don't feel too bad. I don't know if I have any taters under those 2 plants that I have been taking cuttings off of. I don't know if I can get them thru the winter.

So, what was the surgery about 2 weeks ago?? What did the dr. fill in the space with? And, don't tell me bubblegum.

How is Barb? And the rest of the family? Connie still ok? Are you all set for another winter? I hope it isn't as hard as last 2. I swear after last year I swore I was getting out of this country. And, here I am. Just spent $12,000 for a new roof. This spring another $3,000 to replace a deck. Last fall $4,000 for painting the house. It is always something when you own a house.

Take care, and keep in touch. Jeanette

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 9, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7149703

So, what was the surgery about 2 weeks ago?? What did the Dr. fill in the space with? And, don't tell me bubblegum.
There was a V shaped indentation where the bone did not fill in and a nerve was being pinched right in my eyebrow area. That was giving me a nearly constant headache. So the same surgeon cut that nerve and filled in that space with
( artificial bone) I don't remember the medical name for it but the Dr. described it as artificial bone.
I brought him and his wife a small jar of prickly pear jelly and a pint jar of wild plum jelly. They were tickled. They both Feel that my case is special and likewise I feel that without his skill and the Lords guidance, I wouldn't be here.

Barb just got over a case of bronchitis and her ribs are starting to feel better without all that coughing.

Connie is about the same. She is bouncing back and forth between her youngest daughter, Here and is helping a friend re do a house. They are not in a hurry and she can handle some painting, taping and such. And helps with meals. So she is fair, or at least being as useful as she can be. I gave her a challenge a couple weeks ago. I made some wild plum jelly and sent some with her to her daughters. I told her she had to make, and bring some back.
She did! So I sent some more of the same jelly and some pickled beets and watermelon pickles and bread and butter pickles with her. She acted like she hit the jackpot.
She said she almost felt like a kid again, eating the watermelon pickles.
She loved them when she was little and would almost eat a whole jar of them.

Well just as long as she don't over do, she don't get a really really bad headache. The least amount of stress though, an wham she is down. Always worry when that happens, as that could bring on a stroke, and possibly " the big one".
S S has turned her down twice, she has re submitted. The next time, if they turn her down again it is lawyer time. I'm sure she will eventually get a disability, and that will give us some relief from making sure she gets her medicine, has a place to stay warm and all those necessity's.

I would love to be somewhere WARM, for the winter but I would probably have to come back here for the Spring Summer and Fall. You know the construction and pot hole filling season. lol
Do you think either one of us could learn to garden in the South???
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7149745

Now that last question is a real challenge to both of us. lol. Might be fun trying. Digger would help us. Then take us fishing.

Bob made chili powder out of some red peppers my sister grew. Seems everyone had a bumper crop of peppers this year. I canned some roasted tomato sauce, and that was pretty good. So, we have been busy.

Sounds like you, Barb, and Connie could all use some warm weather for the winter.

Our weatherman just told us it was suppose to be 50 MPH winds tonight and 19 degrees low for later in the week. 28 tonight. Haven't seen any of that white stuff on the mountain tops yet, but any time now.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 9, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7149772

Hi; They had some of that four letter word stuff the other side of Nebraska. and the weather man is using that four letter word here for midnight Friday and Saturday. If all he can use is that four letter word, I wish he would shut up. lol
Yeah I think it would be fun to try gardening where you can wear short sleeved shirts all winter. heh heh heh
Russ
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #7149854

Ya'll wouldn't have any trouble gardening down here!!!
In the summer, I wear a lot less than short sleeves. Unemployment means no AC! Everyone asks how I have made it this summer with 100+ days. I have a box fan that I use out in my yard! lol
:~)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #7149937

Smockette, where did you come from? First time I've seen you on here. I could take some of that 100+ in another month or 2.

Do you get some of those wonderfully ripe tomatoes in the winter?

How do you make a snowman with a carrot nose, coal eyes and mouth???

How does Santa's reindeer pull that sled on housetops with no snow?

what kind of trees to you put lights on? Bet they look funny.

Don't know what we would do without that white stuff at Christmas, do you Russ?

Jeanette
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7150019

I've been on the Garden since 2001! I still have dialup & I spend a lot of my time outside 'playing' in the dirt! I'm normally over on the Texas Gardening! I'm over there in pix so much right now, I'm almost embarrased!!!! lol
I don't grow maters but a guy (Dynamite Dan) down the road grows them all winter. Anything I grow has to be in my hoop houses (80') or surrounded by chicken wire! I have a busy deer hwy going across my property!
I'm originally fr Ft Worth & yes, I've used the carrot but coal is raw so we just used rocks! We have plenty of those!
Haven't you seen some of those pix of Santa in Florida, in shorts & sandals, well, it is some yrs, the same way here!!!
Funny that you should mention Christmas trees. This yr I'm planning on using a Norfolk pine! How about them apples? lol
Speaking of snow, I have always wanted to go to a ski resort in season. I have no desire to ski! Just sit in front of a big ole fire & sip brandy, & look out those BIG windows at the snow!
If Holly hadn't put up that great pix, I probably wouldn't have stopped by this thread. But I just got 2 colors of OSP @ a swap a couple of wks ago! & need all the help I can get! lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #7150063

Why do you grow in your hoophouse? To cool the plants off? And what do you grow in there?

Ft Worth is in the north isn't it? If I remember correctly, they got snow up there last year??

I thought they put Santa on water skies down there. Don't even know how to spell that.

You just want to be a snow bunny!! Yup, that is what we call snow bunnies.

What OSPs did you get? You mean a tri color? Do you want me to send you some Blackies? I have some I just planted from rooted cuttings I got before the cold hit my mother plant.

Russ, I was going to offer you some starts but I know you would laugh at me. You wouldn't mess with growing them over the winter.

He gets his starts in the spring Smockette. Say Russ, maybe we should have a coop on OSPs in the spring? I don't think so. I would not wrap that many to mail.

Gotta go get my biscuits out of the oven. Biscuits and gravy for dinner.

Dial up??? Oh, you poor thing. I haven't had that for about 8 months. I'm sorry.''

J.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #7150183

I can't believe it. I have tried to send this twice. Maybe 3rd time will work.

Dial up!! Oh you poor thing. I'm sorry. I was on that until about 8 months ago. I don't know how you stand it. I saw your pictures on the Texsas RU. Russ went to the Iowa RU last year. He couldn't go this year .cause he was kind of under the weather. Or under the jack handle. huh Russ?

What do you grow in your hoophouse? Why do you grow in it, to keep the plants cool? Well, I figure the deer gotta eat too. Fortunately I have 2 dogs so they don't come around.

That's right. I think I saw that Ft Worth got snow last year didn't they? Aren't they in north Tx? No kiddin? Norfolk Pines are pretty. You aren't going to cut it are you? Do you have a place planned to plant it?

Going to a ski resort without skiing, is called a snow bunny. Yup, that is what you would be, a snow bunny.

Do you mean you got a tri color OSP, or 2 plants of different colors? Do you want me to send you some Blackies? I rescued some cuttings that I have rooted from the mother plant before the cold weather hit. I would offer you some Russ, but you would laugh at me. There is no way you would babysit plants over the winter. Let me know Smock.

J.
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7152596

I'm still on dial up b/c of my location. The Woodlands is across the hwy & they have everything. I am limited on internet, cable, & even phone service. Grrrrrrrrr!!!
I think Russ is who City Sylvia is sending my air potatoes to! She also went to that RU in IA if I don't have them mixed up.
I grow any & everything in the hoop houses. Remember my deer hwy? They eat everything so nothing is safe fr them, not even deer resistant plants!
I've been saying that I am going to sell my Krispy Kremes & SW Airlines stock & invest in chicken wire! Can't tell you how many feet of that I have around 10+ raised beds. Most of them are 4'x8' & one is 4'x16'. The big one was a rose garden until Ike turned off my electricity for 27 days last yr. I think I may have 1 or 2 left. I lost close to 50, 1g & 3g roses. That is enough to make you cry but with no electricity, I couldn't get water out of my well & we had NO rain after he left!
I cover 2 HHs in our winter with plastic b/c I have a lot of subtropicals & tropicals & it does get below 50-60s alot! The 3rd one has silver leaf maples, golden rain trees, & soon, red Jap Maples. This will be my supplemental to my SS in a couple of yrs, if I protect them fr the deer. They have already consumed my first 300 SLM! That was 2yrs of work down the drain! I also have redbuds, Drummond maples & some more trees I can't think of right now.
I found out the my next door neighbors have deer feeders on their property. So now I know! The deer have regular meals next door & come to my house for desert!!!
Can't afford to fence 2 acres to keep a dog! & there are too many already running loose now! Someone would think we are out in the country! lol
Yea, FtW is considered N Tx & it does snow a couple times a yr. Nothing compared to yours but some. They actually have more ice than snow!
I have done taxes for friends for over 10 yrs. Well, one family has 2 Norfolk pines that they bought several yrs ago. Now, they are about 6' tall & don't fit in the spaces where they were intended. So, give it to Smockette. She's got plenty of room for trees. No, I would never cut one. They don't grow here normally & I would never cut one of those beautiful things. They also have two Sagos that have out grown their small front porch. Guess they are coming to my house also.
I am so cold natured that if I lived up north, I would have to work fr home! lol I said if I ever had to go back to the Philippines, I was taking my electric blanket! & that is tropics! lol
Well, I had never heard the definition of snow bunnies. We just have snow birds down here! lol
I got the lime green & a burgundy OSPs. Sure, I'll take any blackies. I can send you postage or send you something you would like in the spring.
LMK
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #7152659

The blackies are oak leaf shaped. Not sure what the burgundy is that you are talking about. Is it the same as the blackies, or are the leaves heart or spade shaped? No postage needed. Heaven knows people have sent me plenty. I will need your address.

Have you tried the plastic netting? Even the birds and squirrels are afraid of it. They don't want to get their feet tangled in it. That is what my sister uses and it works. But she doesn't try to fence out the amount you are talking about. I don't know if it would cost more than the chicken wire or not. Hers is at least 6 feet tall but probably more.

What are air potatoes? And why is she sending them to someone else?

What are your hoophouses made of? I used cattle panels and sure like them. I just put strawbales in them and plant my tomatoes in them. I cover them in the spring so I can get the tomatoes going early.

I have the same problem you do with the power company covering the rest of the county with the dsl computer lines except my area. Bet they are on my bill tho. I solved the problem
somewhat by getting Wild Blue from Direct TV. Satellite. It is much faster than dial up and according to my sister who has dsl, it sounds like my Wild Blue is faster than her dsl.

Let me know if the Burgundy ans Blackie OSPs are not the same and I will send you some.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #7154234

Jeanette;
The air potatoes definitely won't grow where you are.
They are a large heart shaped leaf on a vine that climbs trees, and probably choke them out. They don't even like to grow here. lol
I did get a longer vine, from this years attempt, by putting them in a container.
I tried some in the sun. their leaves were smaller and the vines were shorter.

When Sylvia came to the IA RU, she told Barb and I what they were and I thought I would try to see what they would do here.

Smockette; I wouldn't mind being called a snow bird, as I would like to be where it is not as cold as is here in winter. However SS don't go far enough, so I only get as far as , like a puppy dog on a chain, as far as it will let me. lol
I dug up the rest of my sweet potatoes and the OSPs last night. I did get some small tubers from the OSPs. If I'm careful they should store OK.
I am going to try growing one osp, inside this winter, I think. Those darn fungus gnats seem to like sweet potato vines though and I haven't been able to control them.
I do set a trap for them, that seems to work" a small dish of cider vinegar with a couple drops of Dawn dish detergent. The vinegar attracts them the detergent don't let them float on the surface. They sink and swim like a rock. I haven't tried to treat the plants and or potting soil with any kind of spray, so I'm open for suggestion there.

Jeanette; biscuits and gravy is what we made last night " COMFORT FOOD".

Well we got a skiff of snow last night. just enough to make the car white. The temp dropped to 26 this morning but I'm still looking for a little more fairly warm days yet.

Well my coffee is ready, so time for breakfast, LOL
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7154506

No Russ, Smockette wants to be a snow BUNNY. Sit around a ski resort looking out at the stuff but not ski.

The biggest problem with OSPs in the house is mites. The spider kind. Have you tried Al Tapia's concoction Russ? It works pretty good. I will send it. Also, if you want to try to hold them over, I will send you a couple starts of the Blackies.

It was 21 when I got up this morning. No snow yet, but it has never reached this low this early since we have been here. 14 years.

Smock, you know fightin' those deer will make an old person of you real fast. There are more of them than there are of you. When do you retire? Sounds like you either better do that and take care of your trees, nursery stock, or hold off growin' until you do.

Gotta go get another cup of coffee. B&G sure are comforting Russ.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #7155189

There is a lady in Cedar Rapids Iowa, who had to put up a deer fence. " A tall chain link fence".
Right in town, they had eaten all the lower branches of some of her trees.
Of course the flowers were fair game too. Her lot is fairly large too, so I know it was quite an expense. But then it also helped to keep some people from lifting some of her concrete statues. I would guess in a case like that it was a worthy expenditure.
Jeanette; I did bring in one vine, the leaves all blackened by the frost. The vine it's self will probably survive, if I get it in some potting soil today yet.
But I wouldn't turn down a good start. I don't think it will be too good for sending tender plants for a while now though. Another week and it may be ok. I will look up Al Tapia's concoction, see if I can duplicate it.

Smockette; You will have to learn to fight back. especially if Jeanette & I both get to ribbing you. lol

Our little skiff snow has all disappeared now and you know I ain't complaining one bit.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7155288

Yes, wouldn't you know that the temp out there is up to 38 now. Up from 21. I had Bob go start the wood furnace. The electric just can't seem to warm this place up. But, once the wood gets it there it can hold it. Especially once it starts warming up outside. Bob was laid up several months with a bad hip so didn't get any extra wood in this summer. He went in and the radiologist gave him a shot of cortisone and I have never seen anything work so fast. He came out dancing and hasn't stopped.

Hopefully our coldsnaps will come to an end here pretty soon and I will try to get some of those Blackies out. Right now they would freeze. I don't trust those postal trucks etc.

Also, I brought in the planter with the mother plant in it and yes, it got hit too, but still might be able to get a few more plants off of it. Might even find some taters in there????

Yeah, it might be difficult lifting concrete statues over TALL chainlink fence Russ. Does she sell them, or just buy them and show them off?

Well, got vegetables cut up in the frige to pickle.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7155472

She don't sell them, they were some she had bought.
I just sit down for a minute, to rest my back. Then Connie called, " Dad how did you can those pears"? lol I had given her some canning pears, they stay rock hard until they are cooked during canning.
So I explained that and set back to my resting. Which is where I am now.
I'm Making pear butter as well as some pear jelly. As I had picked some eating pears, like Bartlet or one of those that are soft when ripe. and of course, we aren't eating them fast enough. So turn them into jelly, lol

Yeah I have 2 large zip lock bags of watermelon rind all cut up and soaking in salt water. They will be ready to cook up tonight, but I think I will let them soak another day. It won't hurt them.
After I get this batch of jelly done, I think I will be ready for a nap. Yesterday I run another wire for Gary as he was forever popping circuit breakers. Whoever wired it for him just didn't know his wire capacities for carrying current.

I'll just say I slept good last night. lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #7156773

Speaking of Gary Russ, did he do his share of the weeding this summer What about tending the goats? How are they doing? Do they have to be milked? Did you have enough tomatoes to share with the old people?

How is your minister? What was the deal with him? Can't remember.

Jeanette

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 11, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7158944

Our minister had surgery on his right arm, shoulder area. A day after surgery, he felt better. He has no more pain, so that is great, especially since he drives truck for a foundry and farms besides.
Now since I'm not sure which minister we are thinking of for sure, I am also friends with another minister. He gave a sermon " fire & brimstone type".
Several of the congregation got up and walked out. The church board had a meeting. There were more members attended the meeting than ever show up in church.
He was a wee bit nervous the night of the meeting, which was also a night that he was teaching a conformation class, 1 or two of the boys like to get off the subject and cause a disruption. He thought perhaps it might be best to have some moral support as he might not keep his " cool " as the outcome of the the meeting, was weighing on his mind. Barb and I set in on the class, They behaved just like their parents were there.
Well, The board thinks he needs to go to counseling. " I figure he must have stepped on some toes that needed stepping on." Oh well ! This World of Liberalism.

Gary was very lax, however he does have to take care of their, now 3 year old daughter. It would be a little difficult to get her strapped in for a two or three block drive but that don't get the weeds pulled. But I will be in better shape by next spring an should be able to lay down news paper and weed barrier, to control the weeds. I also have a few bales already, so I can at least have tomatoes and maybe cucumbers in bales. But sweet potatoes need to be in the ground. lol

We sold all the goats except my three little ones. We will make room in the freezer for the one and keep the 2 little females for keeping the back yard free of weeds and so I don't have to mow as much.
I could have milked them but I just let them go natural and do their own weening. I really wasn't in good enough shape to tackle another chore.
The adults are still here as the guy who bought them was hoping to get more use of the grass from the pasture next to our property. We were running the goats in there as he was his sheep. He took the triplets home and put two billies in with the 4 nannies. I am fairly sure that the first born of the females, will be a mommy next spring as well. It may have been a little early, but Oh Well.

Next spring I will only plan on gardening for two and maybe a few extra tomatoes, for the lady down at the corner but that will be about it. I will however put in some watermelons where we had all that corn. I had pretty good luck with the one kind of W/M And they are really good tasting. They were the Moon & Stars, they were bigger than I would like and make several servings but they do keep well in the fridge in the garage until we eat it all. plus the rind is nice and thick and makes great watermelon rind pickles, so they are also going to make great Christmas gifts of W/M pickles for our girls families. I am also canning other things for them as well. And that will be our Christmas shopping.
Russ
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7159753

We made it home tonight, It was already dark outside so I haven't had a good look around to see how things did while I was gone. What I could see looked good but there are "a lot" of house plants to bring inside.
To take cuttings or not seems to be my big issue right now. I have so many house plants that bringing in coleus and OSP cuttings seems to be too much. Especially after last year I just had too many plants to over winter, too crowded and a lot of insect issues. Spidermites, aphids and scale, Oh My!
I am hoping to get a better handle on treating them on a more regular basis all winter long and maybe that will work. I didn't do well with my cuttings or potatoes last year but I did manage to save enough for my yard and a few for the swap, not anything near what I usually have. Hopefully I will have a nice crop of potatoes to save and cuttings to share next spring.
Russ, I hope you are doing better. Ric and I use to raise goats years ago they were a lot of fun to watch play in the pasture and I didn't even mind the milking. Sometimes I just wonder at all the things I did when I was younger and I think "How did you do that all?" Now my children are all grown most of the animals are gone and we are retired and I don't do half as much as I use too. LOL
We are pretty lucky as we live out in the country with woodland behind our house and plenty of deer but they don't seem to bother the garden much. A couple of winters ago they were cleaning out my bird feeders so I broke down and put out a feeder for them but as soon as the woods greened up they were gone. We had a small heard of 8-12 that came in most nights. A few summers before that they were coming in to drink at the watering tub I still had at the edge of the yard. It was a pretty dry year and even then they didn't bother the gardens.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 12, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7160811

Sorry about getting so far off subject Holly. Sometimes we all get a little carried away and I'm guilty of that.
I left my coleus outside last year. They evidently re-seeded themselves as they came back and filled the pot.
Right now I have a mess in the kitchen. That's where I just dumped all of what I brought in. The osps, begonias & all. Plus I'm canning and making jellies and jams.
Barb hasn't said anything but I'm doing 90% of the cooking. I'm afraid it won't take long though, so I have that mess to clean up and put the roots and such up stairs in our storage room. lol
We have had nearly a week of temps dropping down to or just below freezing, so all tender plants are done being outside.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009

Post #7161293

14 when I got up this morning Russ. LOL, Russ, you've been peeking in my kitchen haven't you? I have a long planter on a short stool in here getting shoved back and forth depending on what drawer I need to get into. Then I have a cart on wheels that I have all my osps etc. on. In the middle of that are my jars of canned pickled vegetables looking prettier than the plants right now. However, Bob does a lot of the cooking and canning, just not the plants.

Any day now I am going to have to move the planter with the geraniums., mother osps, and that other thing that is still blooming even tho it got hit too. Very pretty tho, wish I had a place to put it before Bob puts his size 12 foot down. (or in the middle of it).
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7161785

Wandering subjects don't bother me in the least Russ. One comment leads to another and sometimes into a different and interesting discussion. My OSP are looking a bit worst for wear not sure if they didn't get watered as well as they should or if it is the colder weather. I have been babysitting my Grands today so I haven't had much of a chance to do much outside today. Hope the weather holds so I can dig in tomorrow. I have plants to plant and plants to un-plant. LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7162333

I'm sorry HollyAnn, Russ and I do seem to get off topic. More often than not. LOL

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 13, 2009

Post #7163081

Well I put the osp tubers upstairs. Stuck some of the not too good looking vines in pots. I don't hold much hope for those vines but gonna give them a chance.
Then I guess I probably done one of your tricks. Yup pealed quartered cored and so on and put up 15 jars of pears. They are on the stair steps waiting till I feel like going upstairs. They sure look better in jars than in the buckets on the kitchen floor. Then I picked all the apples left on the tree. They have taken the spot where the pears were. Can't start on them yet as I have another step to do on my watermelon pickles. even though I'm short the clove oil, I can put that in in the last step before putting them in jars.
Got 2 bushels of apples, so you know tomorrow I will make an apple crisp. Mmmm
Mmmmm. Not too good for our blood sugar but a nice reward.
Oh the begonias started blooming just before the 2nd frost. They got nipped a bit but I brought them in, to watch the blooms for a day or two. Then I think I'll put them to rest.
I'm getting tired just thinking of what I got done. Ha.
Russ
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #7163604

Lol, but don't you feel better having done it Russ? Cut thoses aapples in quarters, throw them in a roaster in the oven and let them cook down. Put them thru a food mill and season them and then back into the oven to reduce down to apple butter. Makes wonderful bread for French toast. Butter and syrup on it on a cold winter morning can't be beat. A little orange flavoring in the egg mix you dip it in really finishes it off. But that will get rid of those apples.

The begonias and osp tubers will be just fine.

Jeanette
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2009

Post #7164844

I get out of the Garden for 3 days & ya'll just get so industriest! I'm just amazed @ all ya'll do up there to make it thru the winter with your plants.
Since I put most 'tender' plants in the HHs, I don't bring much in. I have 3 Fairy Dusters(Calliandra emarginata) that are about 4' tall that I bring in every yr. I also have 6 ponytail palms that I bring in & that is it! I also have a 20+ yr old PT that is a good 10-12' tall. Can't move that thing so if it is going to get too cold, I just threw a sheet over it & pray it makes it.
Going to try & propagate the FDs this yr since they die back in the winter even in the house. Never tried b4 but hope I can make them grow.
J, my addy in the Address Exchange. (Home, Extras, Address Exchange)
Got to go do some wash, outside. My washer started leaking so I moved it out under the carport, to leak in the yard! lol I'll get back & answer your ?? later.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7164958

Smock, what are FDs?

I pro bably asked you before but don't remember, do you heat hour hhs? The biggest problem with dragging them in and out of the house besides the darned bugs, is acclimate them to the heat. That is when I lose most of mine. Then of course, there is the spider mites. I spray with Al's mixture about once a week or 10 days. If I remember to do that, I am usually ok. But, that is on very small plants like the osps.

The brugs I move into the pantry where the temps stay pretty constant right around 50 degrees so the bugs don't proliferate too badly and the plants don't grow either. They go dormant.

Now Smock, I can't see how you think we do any more, or as much as, you do for our plants in the winter. Ours are just smaller. There is no way I would do all you are talking about. Maybe 10 or 20 years ago, but not now. Enjoy it while you can.

J

BTW, It is too cold right now to try to mail anything. 14 this a.m. So, hopefully it will warm up again before it sets in for the winter. I should know better than to make promises, but I sure will try.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 13, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7166085

Yep too d_ _ _ n cold, Don't think we need to be in a hurry to ship any tender plants. Don't need to kill half of what is shipped.
!0 to 20 years ago would be about right for getting more done. Tomorrow didn't sound too good, so went to town today got a few supplies. Went ahead and finished the W/M pickles. Just 9 pints. Didn't get to the apples but made some chicken and noodles for supper. Will tackle part of the apples tomorrow. At least the apple crisp. Yes I agree on apple butter. I think about a third, then apple sauce & the rest pealed cored and quartered, in lite syrup for pies and such and more crisps.
I didn't have enough tomatoes to can, so I have plenty of jars to finish up the apples. I am thinking I will pick some more pears, so I can have plenty for more Christmas gifts.
I tried brugs, They survived a couple years for me but the leaves kept falling off. So I offered them to a more determined and energetic gardener at the RU.
They are doing just fine for her. Must be the feminine touch, my green thumb just wasn't enough.
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #7166355

You've got to keep after the mites and aphids on brugs. I mean REALLY KEEP AFTER them. All your apple plans sound good Russ. Are you feeling better now, or just feel you have to get this done because now is when the produce is there at its prime?

I didn't have many tomatoes either Russ. Everyone says they had bumper crops of peppers, all kinds, this year so wouldn't you know I only planted 2 pepper plants. And Bob picked all the peppers when they were too small. He didn't think they were going to get any bigger. Cripes. So, needless to say this was not my year.

Wonder if my tomato problem was the hay bales I had. First time I have tried hay instead of straw and they did not do good. Well, it is suppose to warm up this week so maybe I can get outside and get things finished up.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 15, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #7170498

I don't think it had anything to do with weather you used hay or straw this year.
This year there were a lot of " micro " good areas but mostly not. but my problem probably had more to do with me not being able to get out and keep the weeds down, and the fact that I didn't get any bales. I am vowing to be sure and get weed control down where it is needed for the root crops. and to try get at least a few bales, ready.
I am feeling considerably better, not 100% but enough, that if I take my time and don't try do it all in one day. I can handle it. but it is also a case of if I don't get it done, we would have to buy some of what I am putting up for winter. I can't deny though that I do enjoy making jelly for Christmas gifts.
Like you said too, the jars of canned pears, jelly, apples and watermelon pickles all setting on a shelf look just as great as all your plants in bloom.
I feel kind of bad that I didn't have any peppers survive. I do however have some still frozen from last year. Not as good as fresh like for salads and such but at least they still work for stews and flavoring meat loaf. I need to use them up too. Next year, Right????
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #7170830

Lol Russ, you had an excuse. I was maybe looking for an excuse, but I still don't have a clue. I had my first tomato, a huge one my sister gave me, on the 4th of July which was at least 2 months early for me. But that plant didn't get another tomato on it until it was too late to ripen before freezing. The rest produced so so at the time they would normally.

You did good Russ, getting as much as you did. You are lucky to be around you know. You should be counting your lucky stars. As they used to say. Yeah, next year, and don't do anything stupid.

J.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7173846

Jeanette; You know I'm smiling an it ain't the stars I'm thanking. I'm thanking the one who gave us the stars an set them in place. There is no question in my mind.
That afternoon, it just happened that there were all 3 EMTs there in town. And at Moville, there were 3 to man the ambulance. One was even off duty. Normally there is only one on duty at either place. The brain surgeon had just finished another surgery, that had been an emergency as well, otherwise he would have been off and some where else. Yes they could be coincidental incidents, maybe? But then the driver was some one that Barb had known at work a number of years earlier. He was off duty and just stopped by for whatever reason. He was able to keep her calm, which helped me to think calm and stay focused. Not quite as notable as the parting of the red sea but - - - -.
I am very thankful.
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7173902

Well this winter when you are sitting there wishing winter would hurry up and get over, just think of it as the time set aside for you to finish healing.

The weather is finally warming up around here so I am going to try to get some Blackie starts out to you and Smockette. They aren't all that big since they are just starts, so I should be able to get just a couple in the small flat priority boxes. Or, can you think of a better way to send them?

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 16, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7176432

I have sent Sweet potato slips in the brown envelopes that have the bubble type insulation in them with a piece of wet paper towel. I think Holly has used the moisture crystals, which I think worked very well. When I used a small box I used a Ziploc bag mostly to keep the kinds separated but also to hold some moisture.
S/P vines are pretty tough unless they freeze or get dried out.
I think the envelopes Were about the most economical.

Jeanette; Were you saying to make a bread from the apple butter and dip it in egg for french toast?? Or to use the apple butter on the french toast?? LOL
R

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 5:32 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7177749

No, you put apple butter in the bread when you make it. Then use it to make french toast the normal way you would regular bread. Assuming you dip in egg and fry. You will find by putting apple butter in the bread that it keeps it fresh and moist. Not a preservative, but doesn't let the bread dry out.

Would you like the recipe for it? Do you use a bread maker? That is what my recipe is for.

That sounds wonderful about sending the sps in bubble envelopes. Much easier and cheaper. Now I just have to get the envelopes, no easy feat out here in the sticks, before it turns cold again. Would you believe 67 degrees tomorrow after we had 14 last week?

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 17, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #7178530

Sure I'm always game for another recipe.
We were given a bread maker but I still prefer mix,kneed, rise, kneed,rise again, kneed, make loaves and let rise and bake. I can use the bread maker though. The last time I used it, the crust was a little thick but edible.
I think I have a recipe for apple sauce bread. it isn't for a bread maker though.
That has to be a little different I'm sure.
I also have the friendship bread, in a Ziploc bag in it's 6Th. day, so I will need to put the rest of the ingredients in, divide it and bake a couple loaves. That isn't what I normally use but it is a nice treat too.
Connie gave it to me to try after we sent all the jars of watermelon pickles and jelly and a bunch of pears, to take up to her friend. Actually I think she had extra and was needing to pass some along. lol

I have mixed apple sauce in with the egg and milk. Even nutmeg or vanilla.
Barb don't always know what flavor to expect. lol

The weatherman says it is supposed to be a little nicer this weekend here too.
Oh I have also just used the small Manila envelopes with a little padding like 3 thickness of paper towel. I don't know if that would be enough insulation if it got cold but it has worked, like in May and June.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
5:31 AM

Post #7178552

That is nice if you have all the time. But, in the winter you probably do. You probably have the breadmaker set wrong. The recipe is for a breadmaker but I am sure you can adjust it for making it by hand.

LOL, You will run out of friends to send that friendship bread to. Pretty soon they will be running when they see you coming. I even got to the point where I tried to cut it down so it only made one loaf. Then I tried stretching the days out.

The applesauce is a little thinner than the butter but what I liked about the butter was the spices and the stronger flavor than the applesauce.

You watch out, it is winter and eating all that friendship bread you will start putting on weight
'cause you aren't working outside to work it off.

Been there done that.

So, what is your weather going to be for the next 2 weeks? The temps??
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7179141

Hey guys - I use my breadmaker for all the mixing and kneading and the first rise. Then I take it out and place in a bread pan or just on a cookie sheet for the last rise and baking. I like it much better than baking in the machine.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7180600

I do that with my french bread and it does turn out better for that. Mine doesn't hold it's shape very good tho. I am wondering if I am not using enough flour. Seems to flatten out some. I bought one of those pans that are joined together, one for french bread and the other for a baggett. That seems to work better.

What do you think my problem is? I scatter corn meal on the cookie sheet first. I spray it with cooking oil and then the cm.

Jeanette
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7184208

I'm off this thread for a few days & ya'll just go crazy!!! I feel like I haven't talked to ya'll in a month!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want any and all recipes. I'll send you another DGer's recipe for Sopapilla Cheesecake!!!!!!!!!!!! It is an absolute hit & fastly b/cing a Texas native!!!!!!!!!!! lol
If you send me some of your Blackies, please include a pinch or 2, of your friendship bread! Please, please, please!!!!!!!!! Back up! Rand has the Friendship bread. Hey, I'll send you Air Potatoes for a swap of your Friendship bread!!!
Jnette, can you share your French bread recipe with me? I will go buy a bread maker if I have to!!!!!!!!!!! Please?
I had a SJHR funeral in Hou, Friday. The widow insisted I come to the house after the cemetary! She wouldn't let me leave until midnite Friday nite. & yesterday I had to drive 25 miles to the new truck stop to meet up w/Smock & go to Jaxsonville, Tx, not FL!!!!! Dave & Trish, & family were there!!!
I got so many new plants!!! Didn't ask for any of them!!! We have a sidewalk leading to the pavillion & you just put what you don't want to take home with you & some one picks them up & ALL the leftovers got put in the back of Smock's truck!!!
I told Frostweed to have her DH, Frank to take them to the truck b/c if I took anymore, Smock would have told me, it was me or the plants!!! LOL
Time out to fill my holler!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7184279

A person could probably just bake the extra and give the loaf to friends and keep the friends longer. lol
That might be a recipe that one could sub pear butter too.
After last night, I have about a dozen pints of p/b.
It got late on me and I had to keep stirring it to keep it from scorching. I was doing it in a kettle on the stove top and trying to hurry it along. However the taste, tells me it was worth it. I used orange zest and the juice from one orange in this recipe.
I had almost a gallon of puree to start with.
Today was a lot of R & R!. I am going to make more, for Christmas gifts.
So far I have wild plum, prickly pear, pear jelly, pear butter, apple butter, apple jelly
and watermelon pickles for their individual gift boxes. I plan to top that off with home made fantasy fudge. That's a lot of sweets but the great grand kids won't eat it all in one day and it won't be some that gets broken two minutes after the package is opened. lol
Temp. wise, I think we are okay at least for a week and 1/2. There is a lot of rain in the forecast, which won't be appreciated by the farmers, especially those on the flat land of the old river bottom.
I think we will be safe on the s/p slips.

Azalea, That don't sound like a bad idea, especially if I don't get the settings down pat. I think I need to use it a little more often, that may help. lol
Russ
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7184335

Smockette; I will see if I can get that off to you Mon or Tue.
Let me git this straight now, is this Smockette or Sylvia on Smockette's computer. ??????
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7184338

Russ, can you make me up a Christmas pkg for my folks? My dad is 83 & my mom is 85 & they terribley hard to buy for @ Christmas!!!! But Daddy is fr the country, even if it is N Tx country & if you would make me a pkg & they rec'd it in Ft W, I think they would be so 'tickled'!!!!!!!!!!! I'll dmail you!
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7184347

This is Smockette on her ole Windows '98, dialup! Addy in Addy Exchange!!! Ty, Ty, Ty! The King has left the bldg, put the Prince is still here!!! ROTFLOL
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7184373

Texas still has country!!!
I live across the hwy, (2978) fr The Woodlands & I can't even get DSL over here! That is why I'm still on dialup!!!
So when The Woodlands buys me out, for a couple of mil, I'm bringing Sylvia up there to see ya'll!!!!!!!!!!! Just hope we all live that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7184435

Smockette, I wondered what happened to you! If you got all of those plants, why in the world do you want more!! I copied your post in my word file because I don't have time to do it for a bit, but will try to get the Blackies out either tomorrow or Tuesday. I have starter for the friendship bread frozen, but don't know how it will do. I got tired of making it. Russ, are you going to send her a start of yours? Or should I stick one of mine in? Don't know how it will do in the mail. I am a long way away.

Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7184509

I hate to ask for anything! Not the way my momma taught me! But in the Garden, if someone has something that I could grow or plant, I think my momma would approve.
My mom is 85 & I took her to the N Tx RU in Arlington a couple of yrs ago. She came back to the table with a plant. I asked her where she got it & she said it had a sticker on it that said "Take me!!! I need a home!!!" Made my mom's day!!! She has out lived almost ALL of her & my dad's friends & won't move down here in this big house I bought for my parents & me!!!
Just want to say, no rush! Whenever is fine! And if you don't get a round to it, I'll send you one!!
Absolutely, NP!!!
& by the way, when The Woodlands buys me out, after we go see Russ, Sylvia & I will come to WA & see you!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7184599

I thought you said that was going to be a long way off. LOL, you feel pretty sure of yourself to make that statement. Bet your mom took good care of that plant and it is doing great. I don't mind people asking for things at all, and I do what I can to fulfill the request.

Jeanette
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #7184976

I don't know what is going to happen, when!!! Just keep playing in the dirt, so to speak, til something better comes along. Who knows, I might buy a ticket & hit the Lottery b4 that happens & we could be up there sooner! lol
Grazie, grazie, GF!
I got two more OSP yesterday @ the NE Tx Ru!!! One is called 'Carolina' & the other is a tri-color! That makes 4 kinds & hopefully, I can keep them growing til spring! Think I may bring them in & put them w/pony tail palms. They will a little warmer in the house & the kids can't get to them! Fact!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #7185026

Just remember!! Spider mites love the osps and also heat. Sounds like just the place for them.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7188223

Smockette, treat that tricolor real nice and get it to a good size and send me a cutting. I love that one and could not find one this year. The mites got them all the year before.

I am getting this little box ready to go so I am going to put in a couple of the smallest ones so they don't get smashed too bad. I am also going to put in a starter of the bread and just hope it is ok when it gets there. AND, it should smell somewhat sour. LOL, so don't throw it away.

I was just going to write the recipe for Garlic French Bread, but forgot to ask what kind of bread maker you have. The book I have posts different recipes for each brand of machine.

If you let me know I will just send it here so I can buckle this little box up. Also, I will include the recipe for the friendship bread in the box with the starter. Hope it doesn't end up all over the plants!! Yuck.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #7188283

Russ, I was just going to type the Apple butter bread recipe when I reread your post and see you use an apple sauce bread recipe and it isn't for a breadmaker. Well, the recipe I use is for Apple sauce bread too only with a breadmaker and you don't like to use those so I won't send it. I just switched apple butter in place of the sauce. Not too much difference other than the spices and a little sweeter and thicker. So there is no point in my sending this.

I am getting the plants ready to send. Will send yours in a bubble envelope, just mark it plants??? Is that what you do? Hope they aren't too big to fit in there. I am sending Smockette a starter for the friendship bread. I will send the recipe for it too but it wouldn't hurt for you to send her one too. I just hope this doesn't end up all over her plants.

I am telling you both right now, that I do not think the plants have bugs but they were sitting next to a plant that was brought in from outside overnight before I saw it. Bob put it there. So, keep them away from your other plants for a while and it wouldn't hurt to spray them. I would, but it might make a mess in the pack since my spray has a little oil in it.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7188418

Russ, can't find you in the address exchange. jeanette
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7188441

This is just about the rudest abuse of a thread I have ever seen. Holly, I apologize for all of the efforts you have wasted trying to offer DGers your OSP experience. There are many forums available on DG for people who want to share recipes, health concerns, weather, Christmas etc. Private inquiries between DGers into their family lives belong in Dmail.

You all have totally discouraged those of us who were here to read about cultivating OSP vines. Shame on you.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #7188473

You are right Stormy. The last time osps were mentioned was 2 posts back, including yours. Would you like one of my Blackies? I have 2 left for myself but I will send you one.

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 20, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7188483

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 1:33 PM

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 1:36 PM
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 20, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #7188520

Your right Stormy. We did get carried away. So apologies are in order again.
Have you or anyone you know been able to get a tricolor from it's tuber??
Or is that still very iffy.
Russ
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7188774

No, Thank you Jeanette. Holly graciously gave me one of hers. What I would like is for everyone on this thread to go back and delete all of the non-pertinent commentary. No one searching the forums for threads on cultivating OSP vines should have to read through all of this nonsense to try to glean the pertinent information that is buried and now rendered useless. Please show some respect for your fellow gardeners.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #7188860

far as I'm concerned Stormy the thread is yours.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #7189097

Folks, Holly's computer is in for repair. She will return soon.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8338397

Thinking about starting these now... am I too soon?
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8338470

Carolyn, from Holly's first post she started her's around Feb. 10th. I usually go with her instructions, she taught me. If they start getting a little crazy you can always take cuttings, I do use a rooting hormone when I do this.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8338480

Chris

I suppose I could wait the 2 weeks. I am just so 'anxious' for Spring...

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8338495

Yes, I know how that goes. Been there done that. That is why I love my Amaryllis so much, gives me something to look forward to till seed starting season.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8338737

Carolyn do you grow them in the house, greenhouse, or??? I think that would make a difference. A heated greenhouse you could do them any time.

When I tried to overwinter mine in the house they got spider mites real bad and died. SMs love a dry hot climate. Gee, sounds like my house. LOL

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8338808

Jnette

I do them in the house on a card table with my geraniums that I carry over each year.

Chris - I do amaryllis too, but right now I am between blossoms...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8340818

Carolyn, You can start them anytime. You might have to pinch back the first ones you get as they can get long but that just gives you more plants as you can root what you pinch. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8340823

Holly -

you were reading my mind!

Thanks
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 31, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8340986

Hi; Holly. Just checked mine, I think I will need to do something with mine. They are already sprouting. Must not have had them cool enough.
I didn't plan to start any until the end of Feb. We just had freezing drizzle this morning and now in the middle of a snow storm and it's 12 degrees. Won't be setting any out until the first of May.
R
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8341609

Russ, are yours from tubers from your own plants last year?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2011
3:04 AM

Post #8342126

I'm not sure I have any this year. Last fall I didn't dig up many OSP at the time I was pretty rushed and was thinking I might buy new plants this year to refresh my stock now I'm wishing for a few to grow. I will have to check around upstairs and see if there are any good ones up there.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 1, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8342274

They are from the tubers I dug up last fall but none of the blackies had tubers. These are from the lite green margaritas. Some of my stored Georgia Jets (for eating) are also starting to sprout.
I don't plan to have much garden this year, so I will only try to save a bunch of the ornamentals. will try planting them in a raised bed with a weed barrier to cut down on the weeds while we are gone this summer.
If I can find blackies before we leave I'll do the same with them. Still willing to try get some started so I can over winter the tubers and have a bunch of tubs spilling over with OSPs by the patio.
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8404567

I wonder if most veggies have an ornamental? This is my ornamental ochroe...

Thumbnail by cocoloba

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8404578

Beautiful flower, I have been growing a lot of ornamental peppers the last few years.
Let my OSP all go last fall. I will have to start with new ones this year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America