Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sustainable Alternatives: Suggestions for coop cleaner?

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 17, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6120303

I posted this in Poultry and Livestock, but wondered if anyone here might know of a safe way to clean the daylights out of my chicken coop. I don't have the chickens yet -- won't get the actual henhouse until this weekend. But it's made of wood and will need to be cleaned regularly. I clean my house with vinegar, Dr. Bronner's, etc. I suppose spraying straight vinegar in the coop will do the cleaning, but will it ruin the wood? Anybody? Anything? Thanks!
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6122216

Bridgid I have gotten rid of my flock and started with a fresh hatch several times with no problems. If your chicks are healthy, the odds are they'll stay healthy unless they're overcrowded and/or stressed from poor nutrition.

If the former flock had some disease issues I wouldn't worry about it if the house has been vacant for at least a year. For sure, chickens don't lose any sleep over sanitary issues.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6124763

That's the best way to look at it, twiggy. Thanks. I've also been reading about using the chickens to start the compost -- there are articles in Backyard Poultry and Hobby Farms this month. From what they say, if you put in the right bedding, build-up should not be a problem.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6125384

Dont Use any Chicken Manure for a Lest a Year Paul
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6125387

They caution you to put what the chickens have gone through into a compost heap, not directly into the garden.
Hastur
Houston, TX

February 12, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6128990

When we raised chickens, we would shovel out the manure, and hose the area down with vinegar. The coop was also wood, but didn't seem to have any damage from it.

We would also lay down alternate layers of sawdust and straw about every other week. We also would clean it out twice per year, once in Spring (into the compost area) and once in fall (which went straight all over the gardens). The alternate layers of sawdust and straw made it a LOT easier to shovel, and the birds seemed to love pecking in the new bedding every time we would put it in.

I think the large amount of hay and sawdust helped to keep the coop cleaner, and protected the wood, too, by absorbing most of the ammonia that the droppings would contain, so that it had a chance to evaporate more naturally. Of course, we also had some pretty good ventilation on the coop, so that helped, not to mention that our birds ate a fairly natural diet (they ran around and ate bugs, and we would feed them any vegetation that we felt they would eat - bad vegetables, apples in season, even lettuce from a couple of restaurants where they were going to throw it out anyway). I know that with a minimum amount of grain in the diet that they had a more natural manure than otherwise (we only gave them a little grain in the evenings, mixed with more vegetation, to get them to go inside at night so the foxes would not get them).

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about our way of raising chickens, but I hope it helps.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6131355

Hastur, that is very interesting for this city girl yearning to be a country girl.
Hastur
Houston, TX

February 16, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6145698

I'm glad to help if it does help.

Ya know, I never realized how much stuff I learned on the farm. I was a city kid gone country kid, who is now a city chick using country stuff to change my own back yard. It's amazing how much stuff we learned up in Maine.

*makes a mental note to call her dad tonight, to talk garden stuff*
jimmyd61

February 17, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6151072

Perhaps a 1% solution spray of Effective Microbes. The microbes in EM will keep the rancid and smelly microbes to a minimum and will keep the fly population down to near zero. There is more info on Youtube (I think) with turkey farmers using this with great success. They spray the entire operation with this stuff, put it in their water and get bigger and healthier birds, etc. Also, see www.scdworld.com and check out their videos.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6151171

I do appreciate the input, Hastur! I've read articles in Backyard Poultry and Mother Earth News about deep-litter coops for composting, and you've put it down in a nutshell! I plan on doing it just that way.
Hastur
Houston, TX

February 18, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6155633

Glad to be able to help!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6155719

Okay -- y'all need to go to TSC and pick up the Tshirt I bought this weekend -- white, with a big red barn, and says "Born to Farm." I love it! (I was raised in Beaumont, spent summers on Uncle Fred's farm. I'm looking for one of my own now.) This can be our uniform -- except the overalls cover the picture!
Hastur
Houston, TX

February 18, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6155988

Overalls? I wear a swimsuit baby! Only way to stay cool in the middle of summer here in Houston.

My husband laughed himself silly the first time he saw me go outside in swimsuit and wellies to work in the backyard. Seriously, it looked ridiculous but was very effective.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 18, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6156167

And a wide brimmed hat?
Hastur
Houston, TX

February 18, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6157360

No hat. I wanted to get some sun. Although I will wear one periodically. He's sort of used to it, but still smirks a lot.
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6239844

We used to have 300 chickens. (Now we have 5) Anyway, we used to use Stall Dry. It is made for horse stalls. It has a lot of diatamacious earth in it so it really kept the bugs down. No problems with mites etc.
Comes in 40lb bags and worked out really well.

Ginger
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6322421

Oxine...it kills a gazillion viruses and bacteria,
much better than bleach.
You can even put in in the water your chickens drink.
It can be used in coop foggers for respiratory disorders.
You might want to read about Oxine on this website:
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6323025

Ditto the Oxine.. Great stuff.

Ginger

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America