Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: How many hours of light is best for petunia seed germinatio

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 15, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eaemnct
Berlin Heights, OH

February 10, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6121124

How many hours of light is best for petunia seed germination? How close to the seeds do you put the light before the seeds sprout? Do you use the grow light before the seeds sporut or after and for how long?
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6121493

Sow seeds on the surface of the soil.Put the seeds about 2 inches from the light.I have always used 16 hours of light.8 hours of darkness with great results.Use a cheap appliance timer on the lights.Never had a heat mat.But my set up is in the basement very close to the boiler(furnance).Be patient they grow somewhat slower than other seedlings.Drink an adult beverage while your waiting for your seeds to sprout.Relax

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 1, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6205695

Yes, Petunia seeds needs light to germinate. However, all that means is to surface sow because the seeds are tiny. So how close you put the light doesn't matter until after germination.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6207044

Have your peturnias come up yet? I sowed my first batch ever on Friday, and I'm wondering how long it is going to take.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6208443

I am growing some Wave petunias from Park seed Co. The package had 10 pelletted seeds, and only 2 have germinated. I called and talked with their horticulturist (they are sending me another pack of seeds) and he told me that I should pinch the seeds between my thumb and finger to crack the clay coating that is on the seed, before pressing the seed on top of the potting medium-- sounds like a very delicate operation, but I will try it when the seeds arrive. The 2 seeds that sprouted look happy so far!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6208667

Petunia seeds will germinate in 6 to 10 days, depending on type & color. Pink & White 1st, red last. Combine "damp-off" with water & let sit for a day to get to room temperature. Fill your seeding tray with damp soil mix. Water with warm water & let sit for a bit. I don't crush the pellets, but if you press them into moist soil mix the clay will immediately soak up the moisture & turn darker. Put a dome on top. They will germinate quicker if you have bottom heat ie heat mat or on top your fridge. Be sure to put them under lights as soon as they germinate. Lights should me no less than 4 inches from the tray for 16 hours/day. Always water with warm, room temperature water. I have a big watering can that I fill each time after watering & it is ready for the next watering. Also, I spray the seed tray with a mix of the damp-off & water instead of watering with a can until they form the 1st set of leaves. I leave the spray bottle on top my light fixture, which ensures it is nice & warm. Do don't want the soil mix to be too wet, so top spraying works well at first. Don't throw out your seed plug if you didn't get germination. You never know, you may be surprised with a late germinator. I call those hitchhikers, because I usually had seeded something else. Run a fan once they get a few leaves.
Thuvia
Macon, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6208758

Greetings --

I've been told that with pelleted seeds it's important that you use enough water to break down the pelletteing material. Like many folks, I prefer to bottom water but I'm careful to give pelletted seeds a through soaking with warm water from my spray bottle.

I've have Linaria Enchantment and Tidal Wave Silver Petunias, both pelletted seed, germinating now without problems.

Good luck!

Liane
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6209235

Joanna, how long do you run your fan?. I don't want to have it on 24/7, plus the lights, and the heat mats.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6209382

I put it on during the day for about an hour in the morning & also in the evening for a while. I don't think it needs to be on all the time. My shelves & lights are in my basement and it is quite cool temperatures
Ironsides
Eastlake, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6209574

I am growing double cascade hybrid petunias, and have been doing it for several years. Petunias require lightr for germination. I don't cover the seeds, I moisten thme well, and cover them with plastic wrap. I than put them on a heat mat and set the temperature for 75. I put them under a grow light 24 hours a day until most are geminated. Than I cut the time back. I planted my petunias on January 31st, and I had 90 percent germination on Feb. 4th.

" Stay Happy and Keep Gardening"

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6211405

just to get a little drool going... these are the tidal wave sliver from last year... they were the best petunia I grew last year

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 12:31 PM

Thumbnail by onewish1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6211466

Beautiful. I bought the Silver Tidal Wave seeds this year. I didn't know they had a dark centre.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6212193

excuse the chipmunk... but you can see them in the background... they were two seedlings in this pot by the end of the season they were flowing out all over

Thumbnail by onewish1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

livtodance
ASTORIA, NY

August 21, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8768425

onewish1, I love seeing the chipmunk along with your petunias. It's a great shot. I'm in the northeast area of the U.S. and am itching for some flowers. I know I'm very late in starting. I've just ordered some cascade petunias (haven't received yet) that are self cleaning. Thought I would take a couple of seeds out of the packets and try for some now before the frost hits (mid November, or so). Any advice?

Also, the supplier told me to put the remaining seeds in their packets in a zip-loc bag and keep in the refrigerator for 2012. Seems to me that it would be too cold plus too much humidity in the fridge. ???

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8768484

mid nov is perfect for direct seeding.. I usually have a couple of containers I let self seed every year.. they grow well.. I personally don't keep my seeds in the fridge but I know quite a few do
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8783318

cute chipmunk

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America