Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

My Late Summer/Fall 08 Garden Project

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I usually try to do at least one garden project a year. A couple of years ago a coworker was removing some pressure treated 6' stockade fence from his property asked if I had any use for it. It was free, all I had to do was haul it away so I ended up with a big pile of fence 2x4's and 4x4 posts. I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I was thinking about a compost bin project but last summer had another idea. I tore it all apart, cut it down, made picket fence out of it and installed a new 20x20 foot bed in an open sunny area of my yard. I collected round field stones from a relatives farm, flat stones from the creek at the back of my property and lucked into a bunch of nice rectangular foundation stones from a neighbor. (once again all I had to do was haul them away) I made raised beds inside the fence using soil I got from my BiL who works for the state highway dept. I did have to buy a few more 2x4's, posts and hardware to hang the fence panels. I bought mis-tinted paint and stain to finish the project. I figure I have about $150 in the whole project. I took a series of photos--from start to finish.

Photo: Building my new fence panels from the old stockade fence.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The chosen location for my new bed.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The project moves along.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Most of the fence is now complete.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Adding the raised beds. I put down a heavy layer of newspaper right over the grass and wheelbarrowed the soil in.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Beginning the stone borders.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The interior of the garden showing the nice rectangular stones the neighbor gave me.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Another interior view. Most of the painting/staining is done and I've added a bench.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I used a post hole digger to dig footers for the bench and filled them with concrete. I added a little gingerbread to the archways and hung colored windows I picked up at garage sales and auctions.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 9:56 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

With the project nearly finished it was time to plant some mums and start the walkway. After the photo was taken I cut out the sod and sank the stones to ground level. The round window is an original 1858 attic window out of a near-by house.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 7:17 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I planted the mums, some daylilys, a half dozen roses and a Japanese Maple that was a Fathers Day gift from my son. I still have to put some caps on the corner posts, work on the arbor and finish planting the beds next spring and summer but all in all the project is complete.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 7:09 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Waiting for Spring.

early-bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Just one more.........

I realize this garden is a little unusual and I would appreciate any feedback or comments--good or bad.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Feb 10, 2009 7:15 PM

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Quoted: "I figure I have about $150 in the whole project."

I figure you also have priceless project in your backyard that would have a high-end price tag if someone else did it. Unusual? I'm not sure that's the word I'd use except maybe for the garden art (the windows) you have incorporated so beautifully. And maybe unusual in the fact you did it by yourself. It obviously was done with a lot of thought and planning and the outcome is just lovely. You have a lot to be proud of here. And I know you can't wait to get started on more plantings this spring and summer. Thanks for sharing.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

It's spectacular E_B! I can't wait to see it in bloom this Spring!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Bloomer that is very nice indeed!

Doug

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

EB
Bad...? The only thing bad about it is that you don't live at my house.

You did a wonderful job. I really appreciate you taking the time to upload the stages and also the foresight in capturing it for all here at DG to enjoy. What a great project and outcome. ENJOY!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the positive feedback. People did kid me a bit while I was building the garden. I was asked if I was making a cemetery and others wanted to know what animals I was going to keep there. I started telling them I was getting miniature horses. I have a really crude obnoxious neighbor and they would drive by and baa like a sheep.

There won't be much blooming there this spring but in a year or so it should be looking good. I just have to decide what to fill it with.

early_bloomer

mulege, Mexico

I think it's beautiful. I love the windows.

You could tell those who ask that it began as a pen for obnoxcious neighbors but you decided it was too upscale for them - they would have trashed it.

I will add that I've been told some of my neighbors call my place "Sanford and Son" because of my collection of materials, many of them rescued from the dump. I've considered making a sign and hanging it out front to let them know I consider it a compliment but I don't want to provoke them.

katiebear

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Absolutely fabulous! What wonderful things you did with those freebies! Nobody in South GA has cool freebies like that! : ( Samantha

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I agree w/missingrosie - it's wonderful that you documented your great project and shared it with us at DG. It's so neat to see it progress and to know you used lots of recycled materials.

katiebear, it's tough when you live out in the country like we do and love to recycle materials -- hard not to look like a junkyard. You never know when you'll have a use for that......thing.

Earlybloomer, now is the fun part; filling it up. Enjoy the spring with your new playpen. It's lovely. And I am so envious of the rocks.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much for the positive comments. Usually I'm halfway through a project before I remember that I had planned to take step by step photos. By then it's too late. I'm always on the lookout for anything I can use for landscaping or gardening. The cheaper the better!
It's almost time for planting.

early_bloomer

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

how do you keep those windows from blowing away?

Everything, we have hung here has blown away. : (
I mean, large farm sign, chicken and egg sign.
We haven't used chain, is that the secret? Big heavy chains?
Sher
I think the new planting garden area is unusual, and tidy.
What are the dimensions? I like the slate colouring of them
posts.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Sher.........The windows are hanging by light chain. I haven't had any problems with them blowing around yet but I do take them in if I know there is a bad windstorm coming. I'm more worried that some of the local yahoos will chuck stones at them. The 4 planting areas are 10' by 10'.

early_bloomer

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks great!

Filling it in will be the easy part!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow what a project..... I especially enjoyed the winter scenes of interest in your spot.

thanks for sharing.

Janet

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just saw this thread, what a gorgeous garden...any new pics????

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

Your garden is beautiful. I, too, would love to see any new pictures you may have. A birdbath or small water feature would look great there. My mind would be racing with ideas. Great job!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've been busy planting the beds and making some other additions. Things should start blooming in another week or so and I'll post some updated photos.

early_bloomer

Smyrna, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey EB!! Awesome garden! Can't wait to see more pics when things start growing. Thanks for all the uploads. Love the found objects.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Your new garden area looks like paradise to me.

I'm amazed that your neighbors had difficulty seeing the big picture here . . . but I guess I shouldn't be. It seems that the non-gardeners living among us just don't get it until everything is finished and blooming. Too bad for them!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I'm in !00% agreement with everyone else here! Top marks for creativity, hard work, recycling and putting up with moronic neighbors! Fantastic great job.

pajonica

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow! I absolutely love it! Do you have any updated pictures to post? Would really love to see them. I really like those hanging windows, going to have to remember that idea. I'm having my DH make me an arbor (he doesn't know it yet) and I think those windows would look great hanging from the arbor. Must have been some work moving some of those larger stones. Fantastic job!

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

What gorgeous results! Thanks for sharing!

~Sharon

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Here are some updated photos of my project. I still need to add some climbing roses and vines for the fence but it's filling in nicely.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 10:07 PM

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Another view..........

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more. This is the view from the upstairs window of my garage.

early_bloomer

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

That is looking very nice! Well done! and thanks for sharing with us.

Jon

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Your project turned out simply amazing! I love the painted window hangings! And the stone wall and the fence and the plants and ... I love it all! Awesome job you did on this garden room! Thanks for inspiring us all! :-)

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Looks great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images