Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Does anyone have an idea what this is?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 6, Views: 230
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6122546

A senior neighbor gave this to me more than 10 years ago. He said that he was given this lamp or lantern and was going to throw it away. I am wondering if anyone can recognize the pattern or style. I can not tell if it has a mark or name etc. It is a hanging lantern or lamp, 6 sided or panel, is 24" tall and 32" circumference around, holds two bulbs. I tapped it and sounds like plastic but I am not to sure. I cracked it already. So if it is junk, I will toss it. I checked lamp companies and ebay but have not found anything that even looks similar. I would appreciate any help.

Thumbnail by torriesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6122567

Here is another angle of the lantern.

Thumbnail by torriesmom

torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6122609

A third view,

Thumbnail by torriesmom

jazzzy704
Fenton, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6133305

This no antique. it is very pretty though and would be beautiful in any garden. But it looks to be from the 60's or 70's from the colors used. But that is just a guess.From my chair!!
I can tell you though it is definitely not from the 1800 or early 1900's.
Julie
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6136335

Thank you Julie,
I did not think that it was too old. The person who gave it to me said it was. I thought that it might be a reproduction of a older style lamp, only because of the texture of the panels, 12 ft of chain with a odd shape plug that says GEM on it. Now I know that it is worthless. It has been taking up a lot of room since it is a pair of them. Maybe they were used in a bar?.
Ivy
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2009
10:28 AM

Post #6136736

They are pretty, not old at all relative to collectables or antiques. I am an old antiquer and respectively call this modern collectable. I would guess they are 1970 - 1985 K-Mart Specials.
You can list them and see what happens, work them in back yard and gardening or patio decoration. O would not call them junk...been around long enough to know there is a buyer for darn near everything...right time and place.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

March 28, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9061293

torriesmom wrote:Thank you Julie,
I did not think that it was too old. The person who gave it to me said it was. I thought that it might be a reproduction of a older style lamp, only because of the texture of the panels, 12 ft of chain with a odd shape plug that says GEM on it. Now I know that it is worthless. It has been taking up a lot of room since it is a pair of them. Maybe they were used in a bar?.
Ivy

Mosaicists may be interested in getting hold of those colours?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America