Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Should I be concerned . . .

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6122716

. . . that my tulips & hyacinths are peeking above ground, and I could have sworn I saw the tips of my irises today? With the weather we had today it was easy to forget that we have over a month of winter left, but I'm worried that it's too early for this stuff to come up. Or does it come up this early every year and I just don't see it because there's snow on the ground?
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6123540

I'm a little surprised about the tulips and hyacinths peeking out, but I wouldn't worry about them. When my spring bulbs have come up real early at worst the tips of their leaves got a little frost bitten but it never hurt their blooms. I would expect they willl stop growing as soon as it gets cold again and they get snowed on.
The snow around my irises finally melted yesterday and I discovered the leaves were all still there and still green! As if it wasn't winter at all - I guess being buried in snow preserved them! So if yours are coming up with new growth I would guess they will be just fine.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6125316

You know, I don't know if it's new growth around the irises or not, tyro. I noticed that a lot of the foliage, on my daisies & penstemon, for example, was still very green. And last year's iris leaves are also pretty green. So I don't know. But things like echinacea & rudbeckia are brown and dead-looking as ever. But the tulips are definitely above-ground, unless there are crocuses there . . . I'm trying to think but I'm pretty sure I don't have that many crocuses. Unless they spread? Do they do that? (Can you tell I'm still learning?)
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6129179

I'm not sure if crocuses spread or not, I imagine they do. They grow so badly in my yard (they die after a year or two) that I don't have much experience with them.

I never manage to keep track of what spring bulbs I put where and I suspect this is a common problem, so don't feel bad not knowing if you have tulips or crocus there! You'll find out for sure come spring!

grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6145772

Crocus multiplies nicely if it is happy.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6203454

Last week i noticed my Peony peeking up already. I dont ever recall it this early.
also all my parsley from last year has started growing again... I hope the bunnies leave me some.

OH and 1 patch of day lilies.

all of those are southern exp, where it's a bit warmer.

I'll have to go look for the Surprise lilies Bev gave me... those will be a nice addition to my garden this year.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6211514

I think mine are crocuses, although I don't remember planting them. There are a lot, and they are still growing despite the several freezing days we've had. They're covered with snow right now! I wouldn't be able to tell if there's anything new with the snow we got yesterday. But we're supposed to get into the 50s this week so there's hope! tcs, do you suppose your peonies and daylilies will be ok?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6211666

yea... they should be fine. We only got about a half inch of powder this moring... melting already.

My lilies are about 6" from my foundation and sunny location, so they stay a bit warmer and my peony ... well, it's still covered with the dead foliage from last year... i wont clean it up until spring.

so -- they both should be fine. If we went back below zero for a few days... i'd worry.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6211705

tcs, you certainly have an early start on your peonies and daylilies, mine never come out this early!

jcoakley, if they're growing in this cold weather I'd bet they are definitely crocus, they are one the earliest bloomers, or at least the ones I used to grow were.

So far I have snowdrops peeking out the ground plus one brave daffodil, which I think is typical for my yard as I remember.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6214183

Or, they may be placed in a very warm microclimate - southern exposure, protected from the wind, close to the house where they get some heat? Anyway, don't worry about them. As tyro says, they may get a bit of frostbite on their leaf tips, but the blooms will be fine! Man, I don't see ANYTHING coming up in my Des Plaines yard! 'Course I haven't had the gumption to really go out there and see anything. I just stand at my window . . . : )

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6214662

the lilies are definitely in a micro climate. they are sort of in a corner with a bay window on the side... so, no real wind unless its south, east or SE.

I'm actually considering moving them, and putting in some Hollyhocks. not sure yet.

they are buried in this corner... you can barely see the leaves peeking thru all the MG's
and a squirrel must have buried some sunflower seeds, as i'd never plant one there.

i figured if i did HH's, the MG's could climb them.

it's a thought anyways.

**edit for typo

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6218601

Ooooh - Heavenly Blue MGs! I love them! Yep, that's definitely a bird-planted sunflower! They are SO cool and fun when they come up in the weirdest of places! Here's a picture of a couple that sprang up between my garage and fence last year . . . that one in the background must have been disoriented because he's not facing the sun like the front one is. Or, he just marches to a different drummer . . . : )

Thumbnail by sherriseden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America