Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peonies: Any Southern Peony Growers Out There?

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 95, Views: 646
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 11, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6122765

I don't know a thing about peonies other than they are drop-dead gorgeous. I swoon over pictures of them in plant catalogues. I have bought some bare-root ones at our big-box store here and am going to try to grow my own. I am told that they won't make it here in zone 8, and that makes me all the more determined to try. Anybody have some hints or tips for me on growing peonies in the Southland?
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6125951

I got a peony from a generous northern DGer. I planted it in Nov. and covered it with oak leaves as mulch for the winter. It has broken through the ground and has pinkish leaves. I love them too and have never grown them before. There is a DGer who lives in Ft Worth who has quite a few and they do good for him.

I read they need MANY hours of cold temps, like 40 and below. We have had plenty of that this winter. I don't know if it will bloom this year but at least it is thriving.

I hope I have encouraged you.

Jeanne in zone 8b
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6126094

HI Lalasland, Hi Jeanne,

You can be successful with peonies in the south as long as your winters are not TOO mild and you observe some planting guidelines. I am certainly no expert but do seem to have success with the things I've tried after a lot of reading. I am from Illinois originally and love peonies also - we took them for granted up there but I was determined to have some down here in Texas. Fortunately here in N. Texas our winters are reasonably cold with nights at least usually in 30's or lower.

The farther north in your state, the better. I just checked the map and it looks like you're near Dothan which is pretty far south. You could always experiment with a couple to see how they do - worst case is you're out $20 or $40 bucks (assuming you get good ones) and if you're willing to wait I can send you a couple freebies next fall since I always order too many. You're generally regarded to be south of the area normally suitable for peony growing but you never know, sometimes the experts are wrong - and I always like to push the envelope and often I am successful in what I turn out to be able to grow that I "shouldn't" be able to :-)

I plant mine with the eyes right at the surface. Most of the instructions you'll see in most manuals are for areas such as zones 4 and 5 where peonies are commonly grown, and requirements in the south are different. So, plant with the eyes just exposed or maybe with a light dusting of soil covering the red eyes. Plant in a well-drained area and a good loamy soil is ideal. Early blooming peonies and Singles or Japanese style peonies are better than the other varieties. Do not mulch your peonies except maybe for a very thin layer just to make the ground look nice, but don't pile it on - if I use mulch it is just for aesthetic purposes and I keep it to less than a half inch and avoid mulch altogether around the eyes. You live in an area with fairly high rainfall so water should not be a problem - and if anything I'd be more worried about too much than too little so make sure your peony is not in an area that remains boggy or where water collects.

Also, I would plant them in a semi-shady place, preferably somwhere that gets morning sun but not hot afternoon sun. The early bloomers are better choices because I find that the sun is just too hot for those that bloom after the first of May or so, and it burns the flowers. I have been braver about trying the doubles and bombs as years go by but still tend to stick to earlier blooming types. If the leaves brown or show heat stress in July or August, no biggie and just ensure the plant has gotten sufficient water, though unless you're in a drought in your area that should not be an issue. Peonies will attempt to enter dormancy sooner here than up north.

Tree peonies are said to be a better choice for warmer climates, so you can always try those if you find you're not successful with the herbaceous varieties. Also if you get a small bud first or second year and it dries up, do not worry too much as the plant just probably does not have enough energy to bloom, so see how it does the following year and you might get larger and more viable buds as time goes on.

I would buy from one of the better online sources that are actual growers as you'll get a much bigger, stronger root than you'll find at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. The North American growers (Klehm, Adelman, Hollingsworth, etc) really seem to have the best plants and it's nice knowing they're cultivated here.

Plant in October or November but remember your first-year show will probably not be spectacular and often blooms do not occur for two or three years. It is also not unusual for them to sprout really early the first year though they normally return to a normal timetable in subsequent years. This plant requires a lot of patience and is not for those who want instant gratification in flowers (not a patient person here so I had to learn that!).

They definitely will grow well in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and others in our area have done well with them - there is a lady about a block away who has some really nice ones in her yard that I noticed last spring. Some people in very mild climates do the "ice" thing where they try to keep the plant cold with ice every day but that's too much work for me, hehehe.

Good luck and let us know/keep us updates on how you do!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 6:30 PM
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6126217

Where there ya go Lala. Steve from Ft. Worth is the DGer I was talking about.

Thanks Steve for all the good info. I had read some of your old posts before I got this peony to see if I could grow them here. You encouraged me. I had another one but a mole ate it I'm guessing. Was really ticked off about that. I read that peonies need 500 to 1000 hrs of 40 and below temps to bloom, so I wasn't counting on having any blossoms for at least two years. But we have had more cold days and nights than normal, so maybe the process has sped up a little.

Anyway, just seeing it stick it's little head out made me happy. I planted it 2 in deep per instructions and it had no eyes. It gets morning sun only. So far so good. The leaves were put on top loosely never matted down. If I get any more I will plant per your instructions.

Do you have a peony tree? I've been thinking about getting one. I love the yellows and pinks.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6126617

HI Jeanne,

Good luck with your peony! Let me know how it does for you. You should do OK with yours. Let me know if you are interested in any more this fall. Yes I have planted treepeonies. I just planted four of them this past fall that I got from Klehm Song Sparrow...two "High Noon" (yellow) and two "Toichi Ruby" (kind of a rose pink color). I have been at my current address for two and a half years and we had only one purple T.P. that we moved from another address across town that did not flower last year (but did prior to moving here), so it's been awhile. I did have a "High Noon" at my previous address and which did flower the last two years I was there...and I agree the yellow ones are gorgeous. Hopefully I'll get a bloom or two this year. Like Herbaceous peonies, they can take a few years after planting to flower and do not like to be moved, which kind of starts the whole waiting process all over again. Tree Peonies tend to bloom earlier than the herbaceous ones so they perform better in warm climates.

Steve

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 9:12 PM
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 12, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #6127265

Thanks, guys! I will take your good advice. I didn't know it took them that long to bloom, so this will be an exercise in patience for me. Yes, I am basically in Dothan, and this winter has been wierd. We've had record highs and record lows (down to 18 degrees one night, a real surprise for Dixieland) and everything in between, so I doubt they will have had enough cold to make them happy, but we'll see. I did plant them very shallow, so I was on the right track there. I learned that with tulip bulbs;if we planted tulips as deep as is recommended they would rot here. The variety I got was Dr. Alexander Fleming, one of the big fluffy ones. We'll see how he does here. If I can just get him to live, maybe I can coax him into bloom. Do I need to worry about fertilizing, or do I let him get a toehold first?
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6130199

Steve, I will for sure let you know if I want any more this fall. My two peonies were NOID's, one pink and one white. The white one got eaten. We have lived at our current addy for 3 1/2 yrs. Moved from southwest coast of Florida. It'a a whole new growing experience. I may try a tree peony. I would want to find the right spot for it before I ordered it though. They aren't cheap and I wouldn't want to lose it to ill preparation.

Lala, I lived in Montgomery for 3 yrs. When we moved to Florida we would go through Dothan on 237. We always liked Dothan. Good luck with your peonies and let us know how they do. Our weather has been up and down too. I have a GH and I have moved plants in and out too much. Right now, some are in and some are out.

Ahh, but spring is right around the corner.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6130527

Which corner? No sign of it around any of my corners!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6131141

That Fancy is why I don't live any further north. If I lived where you did, I'd feel denied summer and spring. When does spring arrive there, July? BRRRRR
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 13, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6131589

Nah! Spring will be here sometime between March and June! And wait till you see my peonies! This is real peony country you know! Heres a sample.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6131625

I will have a peony bush like that someday fancy, you just wait :-)

In the meantime my daffodils will have to suffice (sigh)

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6131653

Fancy, those are beautiful and what vibrant color. Someday ...
I'd say your in real peony country. It's certainly cold enough, long enough :)

Love the yellow daffs, Steve. Again, love the yellow.

Steve, where is a good place to by peony trees? I do a lot of shopping from catalog.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6131677

Hi Texasgrower,

I think Klehm has some great tree peonies. I also bought a "High Noon" from Paradise Garden once a few years back and it did really well with three flowers 2nd year, and was comparable in size/price to the offerings from Klehm. In addition Paradise Gardens is affiliated with Oakes Daylilies which is a major grower of daylilies (among the best and definitely the biggest plants I've seen on the market and I buy from them all the time). P.G. I doubt actually grows tree peonies but their sister company does grow its own plants and seems to have a solid eye for quality.

You can get Tree Peonies cheaper online at other sources, but they porbably won't be as large or healthy. Tree peonies on Klehm or P.G. or most of the other reputable sellers can be anywhere from $40-85 for an avg tree peony and even more for some special varieties. They have "Alice Harding" which looks to be a really deep yellow, though the only yellow i have experience with is high noon and it is a medium yellow and very pretty. I would avoid places like Van Bourgondien as their plants are small and will take forever to flower.

Most of the major herbaceous peony growers also sell tree peonies. Good luck and let us know which one you choose!
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6131687

Thanks Steve. I will check them out.

Jeanne
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 13, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6131978

Texasgrower, I am originally from the the area I'm living now, but I, too, lived in Montgomery, for 10 years, but I missed home. Who knows, maybe we crossed paths while there. Small world (and getting smaller all the time, it seems!)

Fancy, when I saw that snowy photo, my heart went out to you. But when I saw your peonies, I took it back! How absolutely beautimus! We here in my my area are so blessed to be able to grow so many things, but my human nature being what it is, I want the one thing I can't have! I guess I shouldn't be greedy, but I'm sure gonna give peonies a try.

Steve, I would be thrilled to accept your most generous offer of your freebie peonies next fall! Thanks!!
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 13, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #6132010

Oh, Steve, one more thing. You mentioned "the ice thing". I'd read that term somewhere before, but it was not explained. What is that exactly?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2009
7:13 AM

Post #6132093

Lalasland - I live in zone 9a and I have grown herbaceous and tree peonies successfully. I am not sure what zone you are in, but by all means, give it a go. As mentioned in some earlier posts, the tree peonies reliably bloom really well every year (March/april). I have about 6 of those. The herbaceous ones may vary some from year to year, but I always have some blooms on the 6-7 plants that I have. Most of my tree peonies are no-name ones - just white, pink, etc., but they do quite well. A few were from Pay Less (now known as rite-aid). The ice thing - some people put ice on top of the plants to simulate the cold, but I agree with Steve, too much work, and waste of energy.

Good luck.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2009
7:27 AM

Post #6132105

Lalasland - I posted a thread last year that showed the sequence of blooms of my tree peonies - the link is below if you are interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/843875/

I just noticed that you mentioned that you are in zone 8, so if they will grown in my zone 9, you should have no problems. You may not be able to get some of the named varieties to grow since they may be more finicky - I am not picky about my peonies, so I just get a variety of colors, and enjoy them. I am basically cheap and I don't invest in expensive plants. The most I have spent on my peonies was $15.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
12:32 PM

Post #6132435

Those are just beautiful, soilsandup!! Not sure how I missed that thread last year. The pink ones you have are especially gorgeous to me.
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6132905

Soilsandup, thanks for the pics. I noticed that you had tree peonies in shade, part shade. That is what I needed to see. I live on an acre in East Texas Piney Woods. We have 32 different types of trees in our front yard. Mostly oaks and Ash. My sunny spots are getting filled up. I am so glad to see I can put a tree in a part shade spot, or filtered throughout the day. Thanks.

Lala I lived in Montgomery between 71-74. A long time ago. Went to AUM to major in Police Science. Got married and moved to Florida in 74. Montgomery was a small city back then. Now it's quite large.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 13, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6132966

Lala it is the same all over - you can grow lots of things I cannot and I can probably grow lots of things you cant - for instance I noticed on a thread here last year I think a huge difference in what would be considered invasives in southern areas and they are just fine up here!

I bought my first tree peony last year so dont know what is going to happen -there are some people who grow them here but not real reliable so one lady who does advised to buy a cheap one at Canadian Tire or other type box store such as WalMart and if it didnt survive not much money lost. I got this one last year for $15 ( end of season sale) so we will see what happens.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 14, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #6136391

I was glancing through some catalogues, I'm a new gardener and was looking at flowers, I have planed canna lilies and daffodils; but not much else other than those that come up from seed. When I saw what a peony looked like and started to read up on it, I thought they were prettier than any rose for sure. Only problem is, I am a beginner gardener and live in zone 8 B; but live about 65 miles from Pensacola Florida in the state of Florida, so I guess it's a no-no for me to grow them?

I chose some Begonias and Rananculus to plant this Spring instead.
joy
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6136399

Soilsandup, your peonies are gorgeous--I'm swooning again! You have been very encouraging to me. I don't know that I have ever seen tree peonies for sale here, but then again I've never really looked for one. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm with you on the cheap plants philosophy. A nurses salary only goes so far! I'm all about WalMart and Sams Club, especially when I'm experimenting. The peony roots that I have now I got for 13 bucks. There were supposed to be four of them in the box but there were six of them! Maybe if I can make these live I'll get the high dollar ones.

Texasgrower, I was about 10 years old when you were in Montgomery, so I doubt we crossed paths! I was there from 87 to early 98. And yes, it's a big sprawling place now, which is part of the reason I left. I'm a hopeless country bumpkin!

Hang in there, Fancy. That snow's gotta melt sooner or later. I don't envy you your winters but I'll bet your summers are wonderful. Ours are absolutely brutal. At the moment we're in the middle of a frog-strangling downpour, which is typical of winter here.
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #6136416

Hi Joy in Crestview! You and I were typing at the same time! I was like you about the peonies. I think they are just spectacular. They may not grow for us but we can give it a try. Soilsandup lives in zone 9 and grows them, so maybe we can too. Are you treading water down there, too?
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 14, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6136439

Lalasland: Yes, I believe we are neighbors. And yes we are getting flooded out with rain too. I should have checked the weather report and saved myself the trouble with watering all my flower beds today right? LOL By the way Breck's has a 50% off sale on their Peony trees. I have bought flowers from them before and never been disappointed and when they have a sale it is usually a bargain. I think the trees are $39.99 for three of them I believe.
joy
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 14, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #6136451

I was right it is three for $39.99 and they have one in there you really need to check out, it is simply gorgeous, it's called Sorbet Peony, it's double blossomed and has pink and white petals. I bought some Spring Cheer Daffodils from them and they wound up looking just like the picture in the catalogue, so that makes me wonder if I should try the Sorbet or not?
joy
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #6136510

Joy, I have seen that Sorbet variety and it looks good enough to eat. I'll check out Brecks. 39.99 is just about my speed! Why not? Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Keep your head above water! I guess we shouldn't complain about the rain, as dry as we've been the last few years.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 14, 2009
6:46 AM

Post #6136590

Lalasland: Oh, I don't like to complain about the rain, keeps me from having to water when I know ahead of time it's coming.LOL I think I'm going to try the Begonias this summer and see how they do before strutting out there to get the peonies but I hope and will wait and see what happens let me know if yours does ok and if they do I might try then. I heard you have to stake up the double bloomed ones, and the sorbet is a double bloomed one, but you are right looks good enough to eat.
joy
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 14, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6137393

Sorbet is lovely!
Pic from The Peony Garden.

A funny plan is picking away in my brain. What if you took a peony root, potted it up in early fall - lots of dirt - and kept it out until late fall early winter so the roots had a chance to form and put the whole thing in a freezer or maybe even a fridge kept as cold as possible for the winter to give it the requisite cold period? Take it out in the spring and let it do its thing.
Thank it would work?

Thumbnail by fancyvan

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6137452

I thought about that too fancy - assuming you got a large enough pot to hold a full-sized plant whihch would be a formidable task. I would keep it in a cold refrigerator and not a freezer. Are you saying just leave it in the pot full time? A die-hard like me might try something like that, LOL. I'd be worried here though about the heat affecting the plant's roots during the growing season. I had one potted once and it didn't survive here through the summer. If you could bury the pot in the ground would be even better!

Joy, Lalas, I don't want to rain on your parade but really be careful about the "bargains" from places like Breck's. I bought several peonies from John Scheepers two falls ago and they arrived very small and dried up, which was really disappointing to me as that place has GREAT spring bulbs. Most of those places (Breck's, Van Bourgondien, Dutch Gardens, John Scheepers, etc) are just brokers who get their peonies from Europe and they've spent gosh knows how long on containers, in storage, etc. I ordered six tree peonies that were "bargains" several years back from Van Bourgondien and after four years one plant flowered twice and nothing from the others. They were all only about 8 inches tall upon arrival. The American or Canadian growers are more expensive but you really do get what you pay for. In addition to Klehm, Hollingsworth, and A&D, I think White Flower Farm offers US-grown plants (their ratings aren't great but the peonies I got from them were huge and some flowered first year), as well as Adelman which has top-notch plants and I ordered from them for the first time this fall and their roots were enormous and fresh. Just something to think about.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 14, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6138029

Yes Steve I was thinking leave it in the pot full time but as you say it would have to be a pretty big pot and thus a generous fridge - or just a fridge with the shelves removed and nothing else in it. Weight would be a problem. I guess it would be more a logistical problem than anything. You could not be taking it out of the pot and planting, then potting up again in fall. Even planting the pot would be quite a deal!

Just a thought!

Since it will be a while before most of us see any blooms I thought I would post another - this is Candy Stripe, planted in 2006 and blooming for the first time in 2008. I love this one!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6138070

Those are very beautiful, fancyvan :-) Nice shot!
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 14, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6138180

Yes, those are very gorgeous; but, all I can do is look and them and admire them, as I live in zone 8B but, its still Florida. (sniffles).

Steve: I've been buying bulbs from Breck's for years and have never been disappointed with anything they have sent me yet. I had 80 daffodils on the deck, bought some from them, and some from Easy to Grow, all came up beautifully, as a matter of fact I ordered more of the Spring Cheer Daffodils as they looked exactly like the picture in the catalogue, both are my favorite places to shop when ordering bulbs. Can't testify to any trees or plants as of yet though. I know I ordered the Prima Donna Begonia deal with 8 Begonias (2 of each kind) and the two hanging Sensation Begonias and am anxious to plant them when they come. I'm putting them into self watering containers too.
joy
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6138320

Fancy, I love that Candy Stripe! Looks like an impressionist painting. If I could paint I'd take that picture and copy it. And I had to laugh when I read your pot-in-'fridge idea, because I'd been thinking the same thing! I think I may try it next fall. I've got a spare 'fridge that I may devote to plants that need chilling. A lot of folks in this area (maybe other places,too, I don't know) chill bulbs before planting them. It's worth a try. But, like you say, the logistics could be an issue. Maybe use small pots...
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 14, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6138493

Lulasland: I wonder if you could do the same thing with them that you do to daffodil bulbs, they need a good freeze to bloom too. People just put them in a brown paper bag with dirt and put them in the fridge (the bulbs), and that usually works. Of course, I planted all my bulbs in November.
joy
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 14, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6138855

That would solve the logistics problem, wouldn't it. Peony Experts, what do you think?
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6138952

joy and lalas,

Peonies are a totally different matter. Bulbs are self-enclosed units that will perform just as well first year as 10 years later, as long as they're blooming size, and can be pulled and replanted every year if desired. Most daffodils really don't have stringent cooling requirements (though it does vary by variety) - though bulbs like standard tulips (not species) seem to need the most cold. Peonies are somewhere in the middle. Peonies from a cultivation standpoint are not at all like bulbs. Peonies are much more finicky and really have to develop some size/maturity to flower decently. They also develop an extensive root system which can go into the ground a foot or two. Peonies don't like being moved and moving results in suppressed flowering so they're not really "portable" the way a bulb is unless you can plant in a really large pot where they remain undisturbed. Most of the online bulb brokers sell decent daffodils and other spring bulbs that will flower reliably, but a peony in my opinion should be viewed more like a perennial that you have to plant and nurture over time as it grows and develops, though especially in northern zones where they naturally grow well they're quite a low-maintenance plant. They don't really need a "freeze" but need about 500 hrs + of conditions sub-40 or 45 degrees F. The smaller peonies available at Home Depot or Wal-Mart, or Brecks, John Scheepers, etc will likely do OK over time if the climactic conditions are suitable, but I really encourage you to get the best you can afford for the best performance. Of course, if you're in a marginal planting zone it may make more sense to get a less expensive variety and I know everyone has a different budget - but the smaller ones will take much longer to get established and thus longer to get the desired flowering.

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 3:10 PM

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 3:10 PM
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6138954

this is my favorite of my tree peonies. Name is under 8" of snow right now.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6138964

Howdy Maxine - long time no see! Beautiful flower you've posted.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6138966

Another one for you, Steve as you like the pink db. ones. Me I like any and all.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6138973

That is beautiful, Maxine - do you know the variety of that second one? And to think a few years ago you did not like the singles! :-)
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6138975

Oh shoot, that is a single one. Will go back and see if I can find a db. pink.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6138978

Right now I don't. My dang computer is screwed up since last spring and wouldn't let me post the names under each picture.

RU is coming fast, isn't it?

Maxine
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6138982

YES - I look forward to seeing you there!!
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6138983

Will check this spring when they are blooming and if I am thinking right, I have two and one will have your name on it.
Leaves me room to put in another variety.

Maxine
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6138997

Aww thanks Maxine!! ^_^
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 15, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6139791

Maxine: You have some really pretty peonies there. All I can do is look and sigh, since I can't grow them here.
joy
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6141206

A bouquet for you. Don't know about the spelling on that word, but excuse me as it is now 6:12 am CST

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 15, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6141639

Lovely Maxine - I have a really hard time cutting my peonies cause I like them in the garden so much! Have you ever tried drying them?

Here s a funny one - Raspberry Firefly- yes that is really a peony!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6142049

On that is really unusual!
No, I haven't tried drying them. Seems to me that I read of where a lady in Iowa was drying them and had made a business of it.
I never can remember to get them when they are in the bud stage as that is what you have to have in order to dry them.
Maybe this yr.

Maxine
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 15, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6143056

Maxine and Fancy: It does sometimes get a little cold here, does that help any???? 500 hours of 40 degree weather? Hmmm, maybe I will get another refrigerator.
joy
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 15, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6143522

You will have to ask Steve, as he is the expert for TX grown peonies.
I would imagine your weather must be about the same as where he lives. Near Dallas?

Maxine
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 15, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6143587

Yup Steve is the southern peony growers expert!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6144142

I don't think I'd put anything in a deep freezer. A fridge, yes, no deep freeze, tho. I'm afraid that it would freeze things so solid that it would destroy it on a cellular basis. I know it sounds weird, after all, they freeze outside, right? Yes, but up here they have a couple inches of soil on them and usually by the time it freezes they are under a nice blanket of snow. Besides, it takes it a while to get to freezing so the plant can acclimatize to the conditions over several months and not freeze in a rapid five or six hours. My .02 on the issue.:)

You guys have fun at the Iowa RU this year. I'm going to be in Kansas City at a grand-nephew's HS graduation. *sigh*
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 16, 2009
6:54 AM

Post #6145297

Fancy: I've been told by many others that I'm not really considered Florida but more Alabama and Mississippi. LOL It gets pretty cold here in the winter, we had 17 degree weather here for a week and usually it's worse than for a week. My city, Crestview, is listed as the coldest city in Florida, figures huh? LOL
joy
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 16, 2009
12:00 PM

Post #6145582

Sorry that you can't make it to the RU. Ticker. Will miss seeing you.
Try for the UMWRU?

Maxine
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6149695

Yes, Diann, too bad you won't be attending the roundup- :-( Oh well there's always next year!! We'll miss you.

^_^
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 17, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6149804

Ohhhhh...Maxine, those are so gorgeous! Ya'll are killing me with these pictures! But keep 'em coming...they may be as close as I get to a peony. This is going to sound like a crazy question, but can anybody describe to me what a peony smells like? I've read about how fragrant they are. I know, it sounds like an assignment for a creative writing class!
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 17, 2009
6:39 AM

Post #6150104

Lalasland: I've had people telling me that I could grow them here if I tried it, so, am thinking strongly about trying some next year. did you decide on getting the peonie trees or not?
joy
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #6150345

That would be hard to describe. I do know that once you smell them you never forget the smell. Wonderful aroma. Has a very distinctive aroma.
I don't imagine that helps you, does it. But it is hard to describe.

Maxine
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6150788

Steve, if you're driving up, you may want to swing through Hollingsworth's Peony Farm in Maryville MO. His peonies should be in bloom just about then. :)

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6150892

Oh Diane, you enabler you!! LOL

Wonderful place to visit. We visited in the fall when they were digging peonies. Nice people to work with also.

Maxine
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #6154135

Well, it's kind of on the way, maybe 50 or so miles off the main road and it would be worth going to! :) LOL
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6158456

Maybe I will check it out :-) I will be taking the whole week off work!
Lalasland
Midland City, AL

February 19, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6158951

Joy, I am giving serious thought to the tree peonies. They are supposed to do better in our neck of the woods. This current paycheck has just about stretched as far as it can, so it will have to wait, though. More rough weather tonight, huh? Be safe!
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 19, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6159071

Lalasland: There are actually people here that are growing Peony trees and Peonies, so, I ordered the three trees from Breck;s they were only $39.99, I'm getting ared one, a white one and a pink one, now where am I going to plant them?? I got a Royal Empress coming and a Crape Mrytle tree coming also.
joy
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 22, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6172077

Joy, I'm in Prattville, Al., just north of Montgomery. We have a plant swap in Birminham in the spring and another in the fall. You can check with me or go to that other site under the Alabama forum.
I'm in zone 8. If I planted peonies where exposed to the north, would that be a viable option for a colder winter? I can get tree peonies at Southern Homes in Montgomery. It's one of the largest nurseries in the area.
Lynn
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 22, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #6172246

Lynn: I'm giving it a shot as they are too beautiful for just the northerners to have and look at aren't they? LOL
joy
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 22, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #6172281

YES MAM !!!!!! I think that's one of the things that make gardening so interesting, trying plants not really for your area. I had a friend that lived in an area with pecan trees in Montgomery. She had the bush peonies in front of her house in the shade and they were gorgeous.
It's always worth a try.
Lynn
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 22, 2009
6:58 AM

Post #6172501

Lynn: There are a lot of people here who have said they have seen peonies growing here and it wouldn't surprise me either, as we are the coldest city in Florida, more like your weather or Mississippi's, not like Florida's at all. LOL I think the problem is finding a shady spot for them.
joy
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 22, 2009
8:12 AM

Post #6172592

UHMmmmm Well I've seen some pretty big beach umbrellas on the gulf. Well, it was a thought anyway.
I've got to go to bed it'l be morning soon.
Lynn
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 22, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6173284

pfllh/lLynn : see attached.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 22, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6173785

Fancy: Now that is an idea, umbrellas would definately give me the shade I need for planting some beautiful peonies. LOL
joy
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 22, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6174006

Joy actually they were up there for a good reason - that was a shade bed and I had removed a couple of shrubs and all of a sudden it was almost a full sun bed! The umbrellas were from my agility club ( shade for pole setters) so I just stuck them in and put them up mid day. Unfortunately they were rather cheap and if there was any wind at all they often ended up in my neighbors yard! That was 2 years ago - the plants most of which are part shade plants are - surprisingly - doing very nicely in their new environment. Guess there is something to be said for not paying close attention to those sun/part shade/shade catagories!

Here's another more fun shot - it had rained at an agility trial and the umbrellas were wet so I stuck them all in my raised bed veggie garden to dry!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6174154

joy, if you plant hebaceous peonies, Abalone Pearl or Do Tell are good varieties to try for the south.
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 22, 2009

Post #6174735

Steve Thanks I will try them, the umbrellas though are a great idea. I was trying to figure out how to get some shade in my yard as I have Begonias coming and the Peony trees. I had thought about erecting 4 poles with a sheet attatched to the corners, but the umbrellas is a much much nicer idea. LOL
joy112854
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 22, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6174846

heh heh I was just kidding about the umbrellas but they sure did a good job. What about seeing if someone has the frame for one of those gazebos or outdoor rooms where the canvas or material wore out? If they are getting rid of the frame, a lot of them are decorative where they wouldn't look bad and you could cover with shade cloth. You could always check the newspaper or we have a local "bulletin board" where people can advertise for free. You might have something like that or what about Craigs list?
Good luck on making shade.
Lynn
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6175381

Abalone Pearl this year - I am excited to see how many buds there will be when it unfurls...

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6175861

Argh!!! Steve, that is pure torture!!!! We got a couple inches of snow Friday night and so it's going to be a while before I even see and red pips, let alone green!!

However, on the other hand, it is sweet torture. :) LOL Keep the progress pictures coming!

Diann
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6176127

Hehehe Diann - well it is the only one that is not newly planted that is showing any "green" yet - the others have red pips at various stages of unfurling, though a few planted last fall are showing buds and leaves but that is typical for me the first year.

The plant pictures above was also the first to bloom last year, so I guess it is the one that heralds the season. I was looking at it and counted at least four buds but didn't want to pry too much since the foliage is tightly packed and I would have been TICKED if I broke something off! LOL
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 23, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6176141

Steve, you mentioned different peony companies to buy from but which do you feel would be the best.
Thanks
Lynn
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6176171

Hi Lynn,

My two favorites are Klehm and Adelman - you can't beat either of them for quality of freshness, or plant size - though I am sure Diann would add A&D and Hollingsworth (I just haven't personally experienced those two) - but all four are American growers who breed/cultivate their own products and their plants are far superior to those of most of the "brokers" who get their plants from someone else, often overseas. They cost more but trust me it's worth it.

Steve
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 23, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6176197

Lynn: That is a great idea, I will have to start going through the papers and see if I see any ads or not. Thanks. I want peonies so bad, I'm ready to build them a house if that is what it takes. LOL
joy
pfllh
Prattville, AL

February 24, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6180829

Thanks, Steve. I'm going to check them out.
Of course it's a good idea, Joy. I thought of it and I don't think very often!! I found for sale a frame that is kinda like a pergola. I put it over some brugmansia I'd planted late and covered with 10m plastic to protect them more over the winter. I just thought somethng more ornate would look good in the garden and shade cloth comes in colors where it still would look nice but have a purpose. Hope you find one.
Lynn
joy112854
Crestview, FL

February 24, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6181639

Lynn: Me too. And you ain't gotta think a lot, if when you do think you get brainstorms like yours. LOL
joy
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6191424

Abalone Pearl is growing rapidly

^_^
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6191436

Forgot the picture!

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2009
12:09 PM

Post #6192205

How old is Abalone Pearl, Steve?
Can almost smell that hyacinth over the net. Lovely color.

I am going to get dumped on again today. They are saying from 7 to 9" of that white stuff. Its good for the moisture content which we need, but I need a shot of some thing green! LOL
I have bare ground now in some of my flower beds after the last two days of over 40 degree temps.

Maxine
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6192308

Hi Maxine,

This is its third spring in my garden. I counted 6 buds yesterday though there is still a lot of tight growth. It produced three flowers last year and none the first year.

I am glad your weather has been "warming up", so to speak. Hopefully in another month or so you'll have signs of spring to come!

Yeah, hyacinths are great, aren't they? I have lots of those in bloom now.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009

Post #6415315

Maxine, I just picked up one of those tree peonies that you like so well today. :) Lovely thing. :)

Here is some back ground on it if you are interested. From the Heartland Peony Database

Souvenir de Maxime Cornu[Henry, 1897 or 1920]. Tree, Yellow, Double Blooms. It is an Early bloomer. The plant is medium sized. The flowers develop facing outward and somewhat downward and generally are hidden by the foliage. Flowers are 5-6 inches(14-15 cm) across and are fully double, the stamen are not visible until the flower is completely opened. The flower is creamy yellow but each petal is edged with red. The red seems to bleed slightly into the petal. The Japanese name is 'Kinkaku'. Souvenir de Maxime Cornu blooms 6 days after Red Charm.

Ha, so it can have a French name or a Japanese name, which ever you prefer. ;) LOL

This message was edited Apr 15, 2009 4:37 PM
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6415475

Thanks Diane, I recd. that one in a trade some yrs. ago. And yes, it is one of my favorites.
Lots of nubs showing on the early peonies. Perhaps after Friday their will be stems showing.
Not anxious, am I??

Maxine
Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6416111

Havn't read this whole thread yet but I did get the Hollingsworth Peonies.com catalog and they have beautiful peohies for $16 and 18. Also if you watch the coops forum they have coops that often you can get some great buys. I got 8 of them for $9 or so. They were ftrom Hollingsworth. Check out their website. Elaine
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6417263

Diann and Maxine - the yellow tree peony tinged with orange/red - are the stems rather weak and the blooms are face downwards? I bought one about 5-6 years ago that looks that the bloom that Maxine showed earlier on the thread. It is the only one of my tree peonies that does that. It sounds like it could be the Kinkaku, but my yellow/red one is the last of my tree peonies to bloom, and from the description above, Kinkaku is an early bloomer...

(Diann - you're the only Diann with an "e" that I know - and most people I know spell my name with one "n" instead of two)

Dianne

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 16, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6417675

Dianne, memory here is faulty. Will let you know when it blooms this spring, OK?

Looking forward to anything that blooms. What can I say, its been a long winter.

Maxine
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6418137

Souvenir de Maxime Cornu is the same as Kinkaku. I don't mind if it the bloom nestles down into the foliage, it's the way it was bred. I bought it for its coloration. Even though, Kinkaku is a Japanese name, it follows the older traditional Chinese form. Most Japanese tree peonies are bred to have the flower stand out above the foliage and usually the flower was bred to have simpler form. As to when it will bloom, I guess I'll find out when it finally blooms for me. That may not be for a year or two. :)
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6438213

Lala, I have not read through this whole thread but I am in zone 8 and my peony blooms. They don't do anything the first year, but you can get blooms. They also do not like to be moved. I have read on some other thread that when you dig them up and divide you may not get flowers the next year and that has been true for me. May be not so much if you have a big one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America