-
AuthorContent
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6130029

Nice article. I got to see some of these up close when I was a kid. My dad was a Biology Professor and one of his assiciates had a project involving fruit bats. The other professor exercised his bats up and down the hallways in their building at odd hours. My dad arranged to come in on a Saturday for me and my brothers to see them. The bat professor had set up those framed nets used by kids to return pitched baseballs on two ends of a long hallway. He would walk back and forth and tie fruit to one net and then the other. The bats could tell when the fruit was avaiable and would fly down to get it.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6131272

Cool article, and cool story, dparsons. I had never seen a picture of fruit bats until now. They are very interesting. I met a woman who went to China in the early days when Americans were first allowed to go to China. She went with a tour group called "Friends of China" or some such. They were given wonderful meals and after one particularly outstanding one they asked what they had been eating. The guide could not translate but got the answer by the next day. You guessed it: fruit bat. But they couldn't deny how delicious it was.
I was privileged to see fishing bats once in Costa Rica. Also cool creatures.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6139661

Great stories! Thanks as well for your kind compliments. :-) Larry☼

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fruit Bats up Close and Personal Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I love them! KyWoods 14 Feb 14, 2009 5:24 PM
I love bats chubbydoll 2 Feb 15, 2009 12:04 AM
Here in Austin, soive2000 1 Feb 18, 2009 3:34 AM
Cool Bats freebird52 3 Mar 17, 2010 2:09 PM
Bats in Sydney Royal Botanical Gardens etech 5 Mar 3, 2009 9:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America