-
AuthorContent
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6130459

My gravel driveway is eroding. I have no money for a large project but need my driveway to be useable. I have watched someone put in a post by digging a hole and then just pouring in quickcrete, add water and post was set. I have seen the ground residue where concrete haulers have rinsed their trucks. These experiences have made me wonder if it is possible to stop or at least reduce the erosion byt sprinkling quickcrete on the parts of the driveway that are having a problem. If I can't do this, why not? What future problems will I be creating by doing this? This driveway is almost 30 years old and on an incline and overdue for maintenance. I need a quick, fairly cheap even temporary solution. More gravel is not going to help right now because of the ruts. I tried that last year.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 13, 2009
6:52 AM

Post #6132078

That quickcrete isn't really meant for the situation you're describing. It's meant for setting fence posts and small foundations.

It has rocks pre-mixed into it and is a quick setting cement used for sidewalks etc. not for shallow holes or imperfections in surfaces.

One thing you MIGHT consider , IF you just want stability and aren't concerned with appearance, is this: You can buy ready to use asphalt in 50 or 60 lb. bags. It doesn't need to be heated or melted or mixed with anything. You can use it as a tempoary filler. You empty out what you need to fill in the existing void and use a tamp to secure it in place. What you're basically doing is compressing it into the void, then smoothing it out as best as possible. It does take muscle power to do however...but you can do little bits at a time since it doesn't dry out and "set" quickly like concrete does.

They use it a lot here on the city sidewalks when there are huge holes and cracks, as a temporary filler until they can come and replace sections with actual concrete. It isn't the most aesthetic looking product, but it is a quick fix which can last a few years.

It is jet black when you first apply it, but it fades to gray in the sunlight pretty quickly. You can get it at HD and Lowes and probably at any building supply center.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

February 13, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6133589

Stabilized gravel and stabilized sand - both have some cement mixed in - won't make a concrete drive, but is much more solid than loose gravel. It will be delivered by a dump truck, that can spread it by driving as the bed is raised. You will still have to move some material hand (shovel and wheelbarrow). Not inexpensive, but MUCH cheaper than concrete or asphalt for the whole drive.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6133691

I have never heard of either of those. Thanks for some very good ideas. I am not worried about looks right now. I just want to stop the erosion. I am looking forward to the spring rains and am afraid that the driveway will reach the point of no return if I do not do something right now. The stabilized gravel sounds like what I need but due to temp layoff over the winter, I cannot afford it. It sounds like it is exactly what I needed to do last year. Darn! I will look into the asphalt thing for right now. There are a couple of key places that if I can stop the erosion I can buy some time.
luannewolf
Fayetteville, AR

February 15, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6143683

My experience working with potholes in dirt roads is: don't try to fill in the ruts with gravel, asphalt, etc. - use actual rocks. Ruts and potholes filled with gravel are sinkholes and will just consume the gravel and the pothole will reappear. If you fill the pothole with flat rocks, then cover with gravel, asphalt, whatever, then things might stay in place. Just my experience with years of maintaining dirt roads.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6143820

yes, I have learned that over the years. I always lay large rocks in the ruts then fill in with smaller ones. Last year was extremely wet and the driveway started to wash for the first time in 30 years. I watch our township put shovel fulls of gravel in pothoes and the first car that drives thru them forces the gravel out and the hole is back. I am not trying to fill in ruts so much as trying to stop the dirt from washing and creating deeper ruts until I can get the driveway fixed properly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 19 Dec 7, 2014 11:16 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America