Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Lincoln's birthday

Westfield, IN

Hello all! I heard a little bit of history of honest Abe today and found how plants were an important part of it....His mother died of "milk sickness". Thousands of people died from this before they figured out what caused it..When i tracked that down the disease was found to be caused by drinking milk or eating meat of animals that fed on "White Snakeroot"...thought to be a relative of the eupatoriums, i was a little disheartened to find that one of my favorite "Joe Pye Weed's cousins caused such trouble...Lots of toxic (and medicinal) plants out there.Check it out.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

eeewww, I've heard of bitterweed, it makes the milk taste terrible. Never thought about toxins being in the milk. Wow.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I've added Mrs. Lincoln's date (and cause) of death to the garden history database, so this bit of interesting history will appear on that date ;o)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is an interesting piece of garden history. I've never heard of that sickness before. Yikes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.