Please help ID this passi fruit / vine

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

I purchased this passion fruit at the grocery store and planted the seeds, well I did not think they would germinate and they did. Now I wonder what is the name of the vine. The fruit may have measured about 3 1/2 inches long. Any help here will be greatly appreciated. I know it is hard to identify a vine by looking at its fruit.

Thumbnail by Clemen

The seedlings are still very tiny to see the shape of the leaves!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Not sure by looking at it, but I know that the passionfruit commonly grown commercially is P. edulis.

Did you soak/scarify the seeds before planting? How long did it take to germinate?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 10:51 PM

Thank you so much for replying, I wish the plant is not edulis, i just orderded that one.

To answer your question, I craked the fruit open, tasted it and then trew the whole thing in potting soil. The seeds took less than 10 days to come up, at first they had mold and I lifted them up a little bit, sprayed them with some peroxide water and them boom they started to come up! Glad to see that someone took the time to answer! Thank you!

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Very interesting method! I never would've thought of throwing in the whole fruit, but hey, whatever works ;)

I don't know of any other passi that's grown commercially for food other than P. edulis, so I've always assumed that it was the only one. Maybe someone else knows if I'm right/wrong..?

I think it is the edulis purple, i know there is another one that gives green fruit, this one was purple! Well I hope, I have so many babies now that I am taking care of! Thank you Passiflora!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images