AuthorContent

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6134162

I purchased this passion fruit at the grocery store and planted the seeds, well I did not think they would germinate and they did. Now I wonder what is the name of the vine. The fruit may have measured about 3 1/2 inches long. Any help here will be greatly appreciated. I know it is hard to identify a vine by looking at its fruit.

Thumbnail by Clemen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6134169

The seedlings are still very tiny to see the shape of the leaves!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6140462

Not sure by looking at it, but I know that the passionfruit commonly grown commercially is P. edulis.

Did you soak/scarify the seeds before planting? How long did it take to germinate?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 10:51 PM

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #6140628

Thank you so much for replying, I wish the plant is not edulis, i just orderded that one.

To answer your question, I craked the fruit open, tasted it and then trew the whole thing in potting soil. The seeds took less than 10 days to come up, at first they had mold and I lifted them up a little bit, sprayed them with some peroxide water and them boom they started to come up! Glad to see that someone took the time to answer! Thank you!
passiflora07
Fern Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6141964

Very interesting method! I never would've thought of throwing in the whole fruit, but hey, whatever works ;)

I don't know of any other passi that's grown commercially for food other than P. edulis, so I've always assumed that it was the only one. Maybe someone else knows if I'm right/wrong..?

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6176604

I think it is the edulis purple, i know there is another one that gives green fruit, this one was purple! Well I hope, I have so many babies now that I am taking care of! Thank you Passiflora!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America