-
AuthorContent
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6139568

I really have never bought any orchid cactus before. I have a QOTN, blacklight, and flamingo, but I got them all in trades. I have recently taken a strong liking to german empress, and would love to buy one, but the cheepest I have found on ebay ...including shipping, was $20 for 2 cuttings. Is this a rediculous amount for this plant, or is that an average price? Thanks.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6139639

I do not know as I have never seen it sold on any of the sites that I look at. But most cuttings that I buy run form from 3 to 8 dollars for one cutting, with out shipping so that does not look like to bad a price. I love the flower.
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6139727

well...In my status for facebook, I put that I was looking high and low for epiphyllum german empress...hint hint...cause my birthday is next month lol...perhaps...well see.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6139833

I looked at the German Empress on ebay and saw it for $13.00 for 2 cuttings plus $7.50 for USPostal Service Priorty mail. They had 10 available. The shipping etc. raises the price a bit. The photo showed some really beautiful blooms. The seller had some other plants I am interested in though. Maybe someone will send you a cutting. If I had one, you would certainly have a cutting.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6139842

Sorry that is one I do not have yet. MY birthday was last month. And I \ bought pvc pipe. LOL

Monday I have more pvc pipe joints coming. I hope to finish the benches along the back, one end and one side of the door side.
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6139889

thanks for the thought anyways...hopeing BF sees the facebook status...lol...wren...I've been thinking about making a pvc greenhouse. Have you seen pvc joints that are like three joints at 90 degree angles...like something you would put in a corner to two sides? Not sure if I described that right, but not sure how to describe. My BF and I have been looking to see if we can find them, and we have been told they don't exist, but they would make it so much easier.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6139899

Ask and I may be able to find it. LOL
Look on this site and you will find most any joint that will work
I like the 4 hole corners, and the 5 hole cross.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Pipe-Clamp-Fittings/products/1160/2/0
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6140138

They have exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks Wren

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6140145

You are welcome. The ship fast. I placed a order Wed. and They shipped yesterday. I will get it either Mon. or Tues. I think that this is my 5-6 or more orders from them.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6170845

Lismil,
I have been checking E-bay for a small German Empress cutting for you. I get epi alerts every day. So what comes up but a German Empress Epiphyllum for me to bid on starting at $84.99 plus $14.50 for Priority mail. What is so great about it, is it's size. Has 22 leaves from 6"-27" long. It also has 29 new shoots. The photo shows a pretty plant. I will see how high the bidding goes.
No, I am not bidding, unfortunatetly.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 5:48 PM

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6170965

I do not think any plant is worth that much. I may be a epi nut, but come on people,that's way to much, the only way I could get one is if I won the Lotto. LOL
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6171256

I saw that posting...Im on e-bay like EVERY day...lol...looking mostly at rhipsalis, but Im also a bit of an electronics nut. Not sure what I'm gonna do about my e-bay addiction when I loose my job. I saw this person had a bunch of german empress plant postings, and also had some cheeper ones. Unfortunately, I just spent more then my limit on a new laptop. I didnt pay attention to how long the listings were for. Maybe next paycheck I MIGHT be able to afford it if they are still listed. I believe there was a plant in the $30 range. Theres also some rhipsalis that end in about an hour that I want, but I keep telling myself I don't have the $$$. Im trying to find a way to squeeze them in though.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6171329

Sigh the disease is so hard to resist!!!! LOL

Sandy the epi nut
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6171428

ok...I did it!!!! I let the rare rhipsalis pass by without placing a bid...that is a MAJOR acomplishment for me..lol. I guess I just have to remember I have a bunch coming from bob smoleys when I get bummed about not bidding lol.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6171771

I put a watch this item on the 2 cuttings for $13.00 plus $7.50 shipping on the German Empress. That means that I must order more items so that the shipping of $1.00 for each additional item works in my favor. Oh, what will I do?. I have the fever too, but there is no cure for this one. I wonder how many different types of Epi's there are worldwide. Hmmmm.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #6172735

A lest a couple of thousand. I know that Got epis has over 500 and epi galleria has nearly that many or more and many of them Got epis does not have and then there is the one in South Africa than has a lot not found here and then there is the one in Europe that I have been studying-and yes I have thought about importing some.

I am afraid that there is no cure for Epiitis you can only treat the symptoms. LOL

Sandy the epi nut.

PS OH I ordered a Black Satan. I know I said I would not get any more until I finished the benches. Some one just shot me.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6173285

That Black Satan was a pre-celebration gift for finishing your benches. LOL

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6173322

Any excuses is a good !!!!!! Lets see If I get one cutting for finishing 2 benches what do I get when I finish all 6????
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8440361

Lismil: I'm a year late but did you find your German Empress? It's funny how some names become so much an item that the price becomes very prohibitive. I've got several hundred Epis and still want more but just plainly don't have the room to over-winter them. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8441104

well, I had found one, and it was beautiful when I got it, but it completely died in less then a month. I dont remember where I had got it from any more. I have since been through a tornado that had killed a LOT of my plants, and moved twice, and lost my job, then quit another one due to sickness. I was just so upset about all the plants I lost, and although I would like to start building my collection again, I only have about half the interest and almost none of the money I did back then.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8441232

I wish you where closer and you could have what is left from my collection. The heat from the last 2 summers and all the freezes this last winter did a number on mine. And the temps are already up into the 80's here, it is going to be way to hot again this summer. Plus I having problems walking so am not able to care for them any more.

lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8441345

awww...Im so sorry to hear that wren. Its hard sometimes. I can understand why you might want to give them to a good home, but, its sad to think about. You seem to have such a passion for your plants. I would most definately take them if I were closer. I would be willing to pay shipping for cuttings, or even plants, but, sounds like that might be difficult for you. 8-(. It would be nice if you could find a neighbor or relative to give them to so that you could still admire them on ocassion.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 21, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8441457

They are in bad shape, we where not able to heat the epi house last winter and they need some one who knows how to take care of them. Have hot been able to really spend enough time out there to cut back the damage but there are some that are in fairly good shape when you think what they have been through.
lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8441701

When I have an epi in really bad shape, I usually cut and chop it all up into cuttings and start from scratch with it. Yould be surprised how a tiny little part would take off and grow into a huge plant. I did that to one of my pots of epis today. I let in a stray cat this winter cause I felt bad for her, and she poo'd in a couple of the plants. This one got real bad real quick. So today, I chopped it all up. Some of the leaves had like only a quarter of an inch that was good on it, but I cut off every good piece I could find and repotted. I hope someone can save yours. It would really be a shame to loose it all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8447791

I really sympathise with you wanting German Empress and finding plants so expensive . I have around 7-8 plants of her here that grow like weeds.One of the easiest epis to grow for me. . I do love the cascading flowers but the poor things look half dead after flowering. I suppose I would too if I put out that many flowers every season. Mine get lots of spotty bits and turn yellow , but once they have had a rest for a month or so, start greening up again and looking good.
I would love to share with you all but I cant because of customs regulations. I suppose they are frightened the epis may take over the world. I see the sense in banning certain plants but I haven't seen an epi infestation anywhere.
I suppose I may have an epi infestation here as I have over 400. I know, I am weak . I should never look at websites with flowers.
Heres one of the GE plants from last year. If you had seen it before flowering, you would have tossed it out. as being half dead.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lismil
Marks, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8450134

your just showing off sunset...lol...just kidding. Seriously, that pic is beautiful, and you should show them off 8-).
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8450227

77sunset, Does your's ever look this bad? I haven't offered to share cuttings because I'm not sure it's healthy. The white spots are last week's hail damage, and I'm assuming the red is lots of sun? I know nothing about Epi diseases.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8450270

Does not look to bad. The red is probable to much sun.
You do not want to see mine. It is already up into the 80's here, it will be way to hot for the epis.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 25, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8450297

Well, my plants and I THOUGHT spring was here, but Mother nature dissuaded us of that idea. It's been cold and rainy for the past few weeks. I laid some pavers for a shade house two weeks ago, but couldn't order the lumber till today. My Epis seem to thrive in the winter sun, but now it is getting stronger.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 25, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8450685

OCCAROL, you should see mine now. They look worse than yours. I have read on a few sites that GE is known for getting spots and dots and going yellow. She does pick up later when getting ready to flower.
One of the more hardy epis to have hanging around out in the more open areas. I have some of mine under trees, some in the shadehouse and the one pictured spends its time under the nectarine tree which is totally open from now until Spring ( September).
Regardless of where they are, they all show the same tendency to get the spots and turn yellowish.
I just enjoy her and don't fuss. If shes happy, so am I.
Jean.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 26, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8451585

Thanks to both of you! That's reassuring.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8472492

Lismil; I'd be happy to send you some German Empress cuttings to get you started again. Send me a DMail with your address and I'll put several in an envelope and send them your way. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America