Rose Petal Beads

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

After reading Sharron's article today, I'm wondering if anyone has tried to make beads from rose petals like this and how scented the beads were. I don't have a meat grinder so I was thinking of using a nut grinder. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/237061/how_to_make_heirloom_beads_from_rose.html?cat=24

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Dahlia,
many years ago I made some of the beads, some worked, some didn't. I do remember that as it aged, and while it was still pasty, it had a very strong scent. I seem to remember that it also tended to dry out slightly.

Sorry that I can't give you more details, will see if I can find some sources for you. It might be fun for me to try again, too. I do have a friend who made some rosary beads from rose petals. I'll see if I can find out what she did.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I found that the better the petals are the better the smell. I made some with comercial roses and they smelled like old beer. Then I tried it with damask roses and it was wonderful. If I can get good petals, I add a little rosewater or rose scented oil.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Sharran and jylgaskin. That's a good tip to add rosewater or oil for scent.

I just invited a friend to join in here. She might have some ideas, too.

Greensboro, AL

Hi Sharran. Carol mentioned the rose petal beads:

ceadsalaskazone3
October 16, 2007
6:20 AM

Post #4088556

Frank, this is the best one I think:
You need to pull the petals from a good bunch of roses...make sure that they are not moldy...add then to a large pot and cover them with a equal mixture of rose water (obtained easily these days in most markets or try Asian or Indian market)...simmer them for several hours...add more rose water and simmer again until you get a black mush...take mixture and roll beads making sure to make them larger than the size you want as they will shrink by half and inserting a pin or string in each to create a hole. Allow them to dry thoroughly before using (you can speed drying by placing them in the oven at 200 degrees for several hours).

Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2007
6:28 AM

Post #4088611

I did not know they were actually made from rose petals! Thanks for the info and instructions. :)

Thanks Gloria...
That is exactly what I needed, and I knew you would have it!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Gloria. I'm going to try that method.

Greensboro, AL

I didn't have it. It t ook a while to find it! But Im glad to include Carol's recipe.

I have been thinking about her lately and enjoyed reading about the Turn-again arm where they lived while looking for the rose petals.

I saw no roses when I was there last summer, but thought her apple tree was glorious....this was in her yard. Wonder if beads from apple blossoms would work.

Probably not.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Greensboro, AL

I bet it was something to actually being there instead of living it vicariously through Carols thread as the rest of us did!

I don't know why apple blossoms wouldn't work. Do they have a lasting scent?

Can't remember about apple blossoms, but most do have a scent while blooming.

It was a great experience. Even the weeds are huge in Alaska. Dandelions like saucers. First time I saw them I thought they were mums we see in homecoming corsages in the fall!

But I don't know about apple blossom petals for beads. I would hate to have beads that smelled like rotten apples when I wore them :^)

I do think I will try the beads, though, when my roses bloom this summer...
Thanks for sending us Carol's words. I had forgotten them.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

if you added rose oil to the apple blossoms I bet you would not smell the apples. Or any oil scent. My night blooming jasmine has never been this much covered in blooms. I bet it would work and smells wonderful. Except the blooms are so small.

Some oleanders smell wonderful.

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images