Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Sustainable Alternatives: home made vinegar

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 11, Views: 160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ

February 16, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6146561

I am trying to make vinegar ( any kind to start with and then use the mother to make malt vinegar) I need to get a mother. Any sure ways to start one at home? Cathy
CutNGlass
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #6154845

I was happy with the "mother of vinegar" from a wine shop when I lived in Virginia. Different ones for different types of vinegar. If you can find the type of vinegar you want at a health food store, it may be more likely to have some "mother" settled on the bottom of the bottle. I have used that in the past as well. Have not made vinegar in several years.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 18, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6155448

http://www.vinegarman.com/VinegarMaking.shtml found this...perhaps something useful...
[excerpted]
"A starter culture. Notice I said "starter culture". Don't make a big deal about getting a "mother", it will probably ruin otherwise good vinegar. What you need are the bacteria which make vinegar. Check the home brew stores or pick up a bottle of unpasturized, unfiltered vinegar. I have had great success with Braggs Apple cider vinegar. The vinegar in the culture keeps out the other molds and bacteria until the vinegar bacteria have had a chance to take firm control of the juice."
cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ

February 19, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6160326

Great !!! thanks, just the information I needed. Cathy
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6160750

So it takes fruit juice and vinegar to make vinegar? Doesn't that make it more expensive to make than to buy? Anyone know how balsamic vinegar is made - now that is the pricey stuff!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 19, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6162424

I didn't read the whole thing but isn't it a bit like yogurt? A spoonful to make a gallon?
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6166928

Balsamic ages for years in a vat.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6180367

If you make vinegar with say, grape juice, does it taste like grapes?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6180492

Half the time I have ever tried to make wine, I have ended up making vinegar. Now if I really want to make vinegar, I start with a bottle of Bragg's... but for the specialty vinegars I make, I order champagne vinegar by the case (four one-gallon bottles). Do NOT use white vinegar... it is a chemical concoction more than a fermented vinegar.

Cathy, couldn't you just ferment barley for malt vinegar?
cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ

February 24, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6182955

Got it !!!!
Someone suggested Briggs cidar vinegar which is not cooked and has active culture or mother in it. I added Guinnes Ale ( no hopps) and it has a mother growing on the top. It smells great. I think I have to wait a while for it to fully develope. Some one from Dave's garden forums ( I post vinegar on a bunch) gave a way to test the acity. I am thrilled.

Love talking with you all. Cathy

Other forums I posted on- frugal living, sustainable alternatives, heathy living, home steading, recipes.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6199488

cfrie...thanks...I'll have to try that. Been looking at malt vinegar for a condiment base and making it is quite a project. There are only a few commerical sources and only one major one in the USA that I've found (Heinz). A few brew pubs make it but they are very careful to keep the vinegar away from their beers and ales. A brewmaster from the UK outlined the procedure on a brewing forum but warned others that if they were looking for a profitable add-on line to not get their hopes up (doesn't matter to me, I just want the malt vinegar).
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6200417

Our DGer named "ozark" is retired from running a brew shop business. He's a really nice man and I bet he'd know something about this if anyone was to ask him.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America