Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sustainable Alternatives: home made vinegar

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 11, Views: 160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ

February 16, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6146561

I am trying to make vinegar ( any kind to start with and then use the mother to make malt vinegar) I need to get a mother. Any sure ways to start one at home? Cathy
CutNGlass
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #6154845

I was happy with the "mother of vinegar" from a wine shop when I lived in Virginia. Different ones for different types of vinegar. If you can find the type of vinegar you want at a health food store, it may be more likely to have some "mother" settled on the bottom of the bottle. I have used that in the past as well. Have not made vinegar in several years.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 18, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6155448

http://www.vinegarman.com/VinegarMaking.shtml found this...perhaps something useful...
[excerpted]
"A starter culture. Notice I said "starter culture". Don't make a big deal about getting a "mother", it will probably ruin otherwise good vinegar. What you need are the bacteria which make vinegar. Check the home brew stores or pick up a bottle of unpasturized, unfiltered vinegar. I have had great success with Braggs Apple cider vinegar. The vinegar in the culture keeps out the other molds and bacteria until the vinegar bacteria have had a chance to take firm control of the juice."
cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ

February 19, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6160326

Great !!! thanks, just the information I needed. Cathy
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6160750

So it takes fruit juice and vinegar to make vinegar? Doesn't that make it more expensive to make than to buy? Anyone know how balsamic vinegar is made - now that is the pricey stuff!
grownut
Clarkson, KY

February 19, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6162424

I didn't read the whole thing but isn't it a bit like yogurt? A spoonful to make a gallon?
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6166928

Balsamic ages for years in a vat.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6180367

If you make vinegar with say, grape juice, does it taste like grapes?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6180492

Half the time I have ever tried to make wine, I have ended up making vinegar. Now if I really want to make vinegar, I start with a bottle of Bragg's... but for the specialty vinegars I make, I order champagne vinegar by the case (four one-gallon bottles). Do NOT use white vinegar... it is a chemical concoction more than a fermented vinegar.

Cathy, couldn't you just ferment barley for malt vinegar?
cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ

February 24, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6182955

Got it !!!!
Someone suggested Briggs cidar vinegar which is not cooked and has active culture or mother in it. I added Guinnes Ale ( no hopps) and it has a mother growing on the top. It smells great. I think I have to wait a while for it to fully develope. Some one from Dave's garden forums ( I post vinegar on a bunch) gave a way to test the acity. I am thrilled.

Love talking with you all. Cathy

Other forums I posted on- frugal living, sustainable alternatives, heathy living, home steading, recipes.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6199488

cfrie...thanks...I'll have to try that. Been looking at malt vinegar for a condiment base and making it is quite a project. There are only a few commerical sources and only one major one in the USA that I've found (Heinz). A few brew pubs make it but they are very careful to keep the vinegar away from their beers and ales. A brewmaster from the UK outlined the procedure on a brewing forum but warned others that if they were looking for a profitable add-on line to not get their hopes up (doesn't matter to me, I just want the malt vinegar).
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6200417

Our DGer named "ozark" is retired from running a brew shop business. He's a really nice man and I bet he'd know something about this if anyone was to ask him.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America