Photo by Melody

Winter Sowing: How many jugs have you winter sowed?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 57, Views: 601
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6148398

Do neighbors refer to your place as "Jug City".Do friends ask you;"just what are you up too?"I tell everybody its a science experiment that the goverment is paying me to carry out.I got really nosey neighbors.Last year they called the police on me.They noticed that I had lights going on and off in my basement.They told the police I was growing marijuana.The police were embarassed,when it turned out to be basil and tomatoe plants.I have ws 40 jugs and plan to do 10 more.I expect the cops any minute.Edge
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6148691

That's funny about the dope. This time when they come maybe you shouldn't mention the opium poppy :>)

Karen
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6149187

hilarious... lights in the basement. lol
Wonder what that cost taxpayers cause some lame - o called the cops. I swear, neighbors are a trip aren't they? lol
It's like they have nothing better to do than to see what everyone else is up to.
Maybe if they ws'd they wouldn't have time to be so nosey.
Now there's an idea.
...just sayin

Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6150352

Maybe you should sow some tomatoes and share a few plants with them. You can say you thought you would share your 'weed'.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6150432

Hey, economic times are tough these days. Now that we start our seeds outside, many people here probably do have extra plant lights and seed starting stuff... could be making some extra income that way.

My neighbors just shake their heads and laugh at me. I am the neighborhood oddball. My husband says they call me that crazy plant lady. It's not just milk jugs. It's stealing them from recycle bins, collecting yard waste from the curb for my compost, humps of garbage covered with burlap in the yard for interbay mulch beds. Guys at 3 different homes now deliver their bagged fall leaves to me. They sometimes find me at 6 a.m. browsing through their yards in my bathrobe and flipflops, coffee in hand, collecting seeds from their plants. They come home from work and find half empty milk jugs of seedlings on their porches. I am a one woman, year-long object of curiosity.

Karen
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6150716

LOL Karen! If I had neighbors within eyeshot I'm certain I'd be known an oddity too. I'm up to 107 jugs on the deck now, and have a few more to go.

Edge, that's hysterical about the cops! My plant room shines like a beacon, even from the road; I've always half expected police to show up sometime, LOL.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6157589

Uh-oh, another neighborhood crazy lady here...I think when I had a Blackswallowtail Butterfly caterpillar last summer and I was out picking it fresh wild Queen Anne's Lace every morning in my jammies sealed that deal...not for sure though.

But I don't wintersow a lot. Usually only 6 or so jugs. So I'm not that odd...yet...
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6157606

So far - 47 containers - though 42 are smaller containers places in large clear storage boxes with drilled holes in the lids and bottoms. Last year I had 161 containers of all forms - the yard looked pretty "seedy" (terrible pun, I know . . . )

Anyway - I still want to do lots more - but what will I do with all the plants?
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6157630

About that, too, here, 45-50 -- it is funny, whenever I go out to count them I lose track somewhere, LOL! gosh. Plan maybe ten more... so total maybe 60 max. some of them smaller tho.
bobyrd
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6157852

I think I have solved the problem of what to do with any "extra" plants I have from WS. I am going to donate them to the Resale store where I volunteer for Assistance League and see if they will sell! Of course that is assuming I have any extras!
Bonnie
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6157872

I predict many extras in your future, Bonnie.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

February 19, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6157992

way to funny Ive had the police here 2 yrs in a row now because of the nighbors .They claim my lights in the basement nver go out and I have lots of strange plants.Just started ws and last year only did about 10 this year have 5 started but its early here. Also going through recyleing bags when I take dogs for a walk.And as far as collecting for compost I rake alkmost the whole street. lol
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6158244

No visits from cops but lots of WS jugs! 147 sown and 89 of those germinated! This is my first year at this and I am having a blast!
LissaD
Corrales, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6159131

"They sometimes find me at 6 a.m. browsing through their yards in my bathrobe and flipflops, coffee in hand, collecting seeds from their plants. They come home from work and find half empty milk jugs of seedlings on their porches."

OH MY Karen, I about died laughing at this. I walk down the alley behind our church while the kids are getting settled in the car and grab any dried seed pods that are hanging over the fence, my kids think I am crazy, keeping ziploc baggies in the glove box, cuz you never know when you might find some seeds that nobody wants. LOL. I never knew you could actually walk through their yards... hmmmmm. Have to get to know the neighbors a little better.
kraehill
Muscoda, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 19, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6162114

Hey westallis, I am in Wisconsin too - Zone 4. I just put out 8 jugs and 2 big lettuce containers from Sam's. This is my first time WSing so I'm nervous. After seeing all the posts from points south, I'm glad to see someone else with similar weather. What kinds of seeds do well for you? This will also be the first year for my "basement operation" with plant lights...can't wait to see what the neighbors do!
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

February 20, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6162936

well I tried last year outside was some maigolds ,poppies, and a few others that are pretty easy to sow in spring or are esay reseeders not always the best luck with under lights even though am going to try again this year
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6165958

I just put out jugs of: larkspur: genetian blue, forget-me-nots, heuchera, joe pye weed

nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6166329

Hey Seandor, I did my Larkspur: Gentian blue a couple of days ago, too. We'll have to comapre notes!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6166418

I don't think there is any comparison, nbgard. I am zone 6a and you are zone - what? zone 8? You will have larkspur before I do! :-) I just hope mine germinate and I can get them in the garden before they are too large - and that they will have enough time to bloom before it is cold again. (will this winter never end????)
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #6166450

That's true, I am in zone 8b, but we can at least compare how well they winter sow and what a pretty blue they are!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2009
11:16 AM

Post #6168667

Larkspur gentian blue are a shorter variety of larkspur, so they just don't get too tall. T&M says 12 inches. Mine have gotten to maybe a foot and a half, tops.
http://www.valueseeds.com/item-7239.html

My best ones are always those seeds which drop from the plant, self-seed in late summer/fall, and overwinter. When enough snow melted I went out and looked and it didn't seem I had many this year. I'll have to check again in better weather. They are beautiful, though.

Karen

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6169563

Well I just ordered more seeds from Value Seeds so guess I need more containers!! LOL

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 7:32 PM
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6170651

I like the Larkspur as well - here's my latest - http://lakehousecreations.com/wintersown_2009.htm

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 3, 2009
9:17 AM

Post #6215014

The heck with jugs. I WS hardy perennials straight into my 3 ftx 6ft coldframe. All need stratificaton and will germinate when conditions are right for the varieties I sowed.

My coldframe is full of the following seeds this year:
Rhus typhina
Echenacia---3 varieties
Callirhoe
Xanthoceras
Asclepias---2 varieties
Iris and Daylilies from my plants and for fun
Dianthus
Oenothera
Centaurea
Salvia argentea

All were sown in October 2008.

Caption: My simple coldframe before sowing.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6215537

I have wanted one one of those for a long time!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6215654

I'm determined to have a cold frame this year! I want to get into propagating roses and flowering shrubs- that's just what I need.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6219206

gemini_sage and nanny_56
I am a long-time gardener and as simple as this coldframe is, I could not garden without it. It has served as an over-winter holding box for young plants started indoors, a rooting box for cuttings, a seeding box during fall and winter, and a place to test the hardiness of perennials for my zone 4. When seeds are available of the variety I want, I start them from seeds, rather than buy plants.

See my post above for photo of that coldframe.

My coldframe consists of scrap lumber from a home improvement center who sells scraps and culled lumber cheap. The coldframe measures 6 ft wide x 3 feet deep x 12" high. Shading cloth is attached to a frame, which is hinged to the back of the coldframe. It sits on bare ground about 1" deep. I removed the top 6" of the original soil and replaced it with good garden soil, peatmoss, humus, and manure.

This coldframe is 8 years old and full of seeds sown Oct 2008. A coldframe can be made in any size to suit your need. I built it to fit an old window sash, minus the glass.
**************************************************************************************************************
When I lived in NEduring the 80's I owned and operated a small commercial greenhouse specializing in drought resistant plants for NE climate. The coldframe I had then was built from used railroad ties that I was able to obtain free. It was much larger than the one I have now since I grew all from seeds that I sold. I sowed perennials, starting in July and August in flats. By late September the seedlings were large enough to be planted in the coldframe. By late spring, these plants were husky with a good root system and ready for a 3" pot to be sold.

There are many things you can use to build a coldframe with. All it is, is a box with 4 walls and a cover. You can make shade with lath mounted on a frame, like I did.

On a smaller scale, you can use a plastic storage box from Walmart, cut the bottom off, then bury it to within 1/2" from the rim. I have done that with plastic shoe boxes for small seeds to germinate in my coldframe.

Caption: My railroad tie coldframe full of perennials. Photo taken early spring of seedlings sown July and Aug of the previous year. I never covered the coldframe against Nature. Used the lath sceen when the seedlings were newly planted in the coldframe.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 10:54 PM

Thumbnail by blomma

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6219502

Wish I had some railroad ties to use like that! Very nice! I do have a couple of sliding glass doors from when we replaced ours last year, I'm thinking those will make great toppers.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6219735

I would put one up in a heartbeat ...but DH has never learned to live in the here and now. He is always living in the future. So what I keep hearing is don't know how long we will live here...blah blah blah.

I wanted to order a historical tree to plant...he was like we won't be here long enough to see it get big...aarrrgh!!!

So I just do what I can for me to to enjoy!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6219832

Nanny, tell him we don't plant trees for us, but for the next generation :-)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6220027

I told him that we don't have as many tomorrows as we used too...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6220771

I'm currently up to 63 jugs. From gallon milk to Qt sized H&H containers.
I have 10 gal jugs sitting on my counter & DR table... should get to those today... i've got the house to myself... first time in a very long time. [i hope to take advantage of it]

I really only have 1 neighbor -- they know i WS but they can't see the boxes of containers. The first year, i had some on the side of my house, southern exp... so it probably looked a bit nutty... but who cares... i have the most flowers *wicked evil grin*

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6220791

nanny_56
I would ignore what DH says and do what you want to do. You don't want to sit there years from now and think, "why didn't I do it".
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6220858

Doubtful he'd go to the trouble of digging it up if he comes home to find a new tree planted in the yard, LOL.
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6221035

This is my first year WS so I did 6 containers. I can not believe how easy it is! I am excited about the milkweed I have ws. I'm in trouble for next year.

One question, how late can you WS?
thanks
dawn

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6221044

Dawn -- you can keep going as long as you want... later it will be called "Spring Sowing" then "Summer Sowing"
but it's basically the same thing...

I recall last year, it was probably mid-late spring, I dumped some seeds in a container and stuck them out side... they germinated fine and i planted them out in the Fall. I think they were Shasta Daisies.
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6221056

great! thanks tcs!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6221532

My problem is that the family wants to travel to the west coast this summer - a six week trek.

So, while I want to winter sow 173 containers - I am having to severely limit myself. This is really, really, hard . . .

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6221560

do you have a reliable neighbor?? or an irrigation system?

I have 1 reliable kid out of 2... so that's not too bad.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6221568

Yes - i am very fortunate to have kind neighbours and friends that I can trust to water plants - but not to tend to baby plants.

I keep my seeds in a fridge, so they will remain viable for a very long time. Some perennials I will be able to start when we return in August.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6303916

i am currently at 111 [with more to do] and i've got 21 with germination.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6316894

OMG -tcs1366 - you will have enough for a nursery!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6316983

mine are all various sizes... yes, there are a lot of milk jugs... but some are 3 & 4" nursery pots.

and yea - i know.. where am i gonna put all these plants... but i have a plan... sort of
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6447633

My neighbors have recycled containers for me. :)

I think they all expect some 'stuff' to show up on their doorsteps...

Which I will give some away since everything seems to have 'worked' and I have WAY too many sprouts! :O

The calling cops thing is really funny.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 12:18 PM
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7249221

Well it is getting close! Just got through going through my seeds to see what I will want to plant.
Next We will be cutting the containers and drilling holes in the bottoms.

I didn't see this thread last year! Does the # of jugs only mean Milk jugs? I had 300 containers last year but only part were milk jugs. And the question I get all the time is... "Are you going into the business?" NOOOO... I am just a wintersowing fool!!! Well, I go overboard on any thing plant related! I do not sell them. I do give a lot away to friends and family. I try to plant the rest, but sometimes I have a few that never get planted in a bed. And then I feel guilty...

Here is a picture of my containers from last year. We were not finished and when we were done there was no visible concrete. You can see my coldframe in this pic also. It was full too...

I hope I can cotrol myself this year. Somebody stop me! I don't need any more plants

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #7249252

yardqueen... every year we all hope to control ourselves... doesnt always work, though some of us are running out of real estate.

OH and "jugs" was pretty much "containers" ... i do not use all milk/gallon jugs either.

I think i sown 125 last year... some were gallons, half gallons all the way down to 2" square nursery pots.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7249306

I did some nursery pots too, in the cold frame and in plastc bags. Do you also sow some seeds indoors under lights?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #7249333

no -- i dont have room for that. I have done a 'flat' on a heat mat in a south facing window -- with hit or miss results. I'll also set small pots in baggies in my bathroom window.. it's south facing... and had decent results last year.. i will do that again this year.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #7249373

LOL... where there's a will there's a way! Anywhere there's room... sounds like me.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #7249380

OH... but DH has decided to try to 'grow' some Acorns ... and he's using my spot in the bathroom window.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #7249432

Does he know how long it takes an oak tree to grow?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #7249833

LOL...no... i would imagine YEARS... but i'm letting him do his thing.

just to see germination I think would be good.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #7250306

Oh, I see germination of them... all the time! I have to pull them out of all of my flower beds! Do you know what kind of Oak they are from? We have a tremendous abundance of acorns. So much so that I teasingly told DH that instead of buying more rock to redo our washed out driveway, he should just use the acorns! When they fall on our metal carport it sounds like a war zone. And a lot of my plants have damage to their leaves from acorns hitting them. It looks like hail damage!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7250378

I am not sure what type they are... but there was an article here on Daves a few weeks ago i still need to read.

We have all the Oaks in Wisc where we have a trailer... we have an addition that is called an Add-a-room with a metal/aluminum roof, so it also sounds like a war-zone ... I call it 'popcorn' sometimes, when they are all falling.

and yes, we too see germination all the time... maybe that is why DH decided to see if he could grow little oak trees.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7250436

LOL... I gues it is a man thing about the oak trees. My DH was digging up seedlings and planting them in pots. Then he didn't water them...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7250471

ROFLMAO
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

November 10, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #7258130

I planted acorns in 1981---two have survived and I now sit under them, but, they have totally shaded what was once a vegetable garden---the one trunk is about two feet through----I often wish I'd planted a whole grove but they are now spreading their own acorns. Red oak----------------Weedy
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7258659

Acorns were hitting me today as I was potting up cuttings... I probably have bruises

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America